PDA

View Full Version : PS2 or PS3?

buckmana
06-03-07, 06:45
Which do you prefer (or want)?

Personally, I want a PS2 (I haven't got one yet, I was waiting until I got enough games (I have the important ones now) to make buying one worthwhile (and the PS3 drives the price down)).

To me, the PS3 is overpriced. Who's going to pay $1000 dollars just to play games on a console. And it's not like XBox really need to take more of the market (I hate XBox, I think the console market belongs to Playstation and Dreamcast, Microsoft are muscling in where they don't belong).

I read a review that said the gameplay performance is jumpy. It also said that the real reason for the release of the Playstation3 is to get some device called a BluRay (whatever that is, something to do with tv or dvds, I think (don't know)) into people's homes.

I don't believe consoles should have multi-purpose. You buy them to play games, not do anything else.

Maybe they should release a version optimized for gameplay (without the Blu-Ray, which is probably where most of that $1000 is going).

Mad Tony
06-03-07, 06:48
I would probably get a PS3 seen as you can play PS3, PS1 and PS2 games. Although I'd just go with an Xbox 360 and a PS2 to be honest. :)

nightwishgirl84
06-03-07, 08:44
i've heard ps3 isn't really backwards compatible so i'd say a ps2 :)
i have one and it's great !!
i also think the blu-ray should be removed from the ps3 as it's never gonna be the standard type anyway and it's making the console really expensive.

kryptonite23
06-03-07, 11:16
I like PS2 more than PS3 because I saw the contents of it,it was so cheap.

PirateRose
06-03-07, 11:57
Ps3 is backwords compatiable, the games from the first two just look horriable on the Ps3's graphics.

Ps2=lower price, more of a game counsel (which would be the only reason I bought one, I don't need another DVD player, or a slideshow option, or another boombox, or any of that extra crap), tons of game options. If sony is smart, they will keep makeing games for the Ps2, because if they just stop making Ps2 all together their going to lose money fast, as no parent in their right mind will buy a Ps3 for their kid if they didn't have the money for it. Thats the bases of all the gameing industries money that a lot of them seem to be forgeting. They seem to think the majority of their audience is adults.

Agent 47
06-03-07, 12:26
PS3:jmp: it blows the PS2 into the weeds :D

and i'll have mine in 17 days :jmp:

nightwishgirl84
06-03-07, 17:48
the only problem i have with ps3 tis that they've taken out the emotion engine wich makes most ps2 games unplayable on the ps3 and that it's way overpriced,comes with a stupid blu-ray no one wants.
take out the blu-ray would be better to cut costs of production.
also here in Europe the are the highest price in the world and they actually took out the backwards compatible emotion engine,wich was intented to cut their production costs and to compensate their disapointing sales on wich they are losing allot of money.
i actually feel ripped off by them as a European.
they will now also come without the emotion engine in other continents too but still,it's very unfair !!
i'm gonna wait till it's price is much lower.
as i'd said before :
go for a ps2 - there are millions of games for it,especially platinum editions are a nice price for a game,and it's much cheaper and you don't get screwed over with the high price (it doesn't even cost them a quarter of the price to make them).

Cochrane
06-03-07, 17:49
Depends really on how much money you want to spend. If you're a serious gamer, and buy lots of new games regularly, you'll start kicking yourself in the ass for not buying a PS3 in a year or so, but if you're not, I don't think the PS3 has enough advantages over the PS2 if one compares the prices.

buckmana
07-03-07, 17:09
Can the people who want afford the $1000 price tag?

Agent 47
07-03-07, 17:16
Can the people who want afford the $1000 price tag?

depends really

some people (like me) saved up well in advance, and are able to afford one

some people however rely too heavily on their parents to buy such products, i equate this to being too lazy to get job,and not understanding the value of money

saving up for such an item is an achievement IMO :jmp:

interstellardave
07-03-07, 19:12
And it's not like XBox really need to take more of the market (I hate XBox, I think the console market belongs to Playstation and Dreamcast, Microsoft are muscling in where they don't belong).

Where were you in 1995/1996 when Sony was the newcomer to the console market? Microsoft belongs in the market as much as Sony does. And how much would the PS3 (and the PS2 for that matter) cost if MS wasn't in the market? Likely, they would cost more than they do now.

Roddy100
07-03-07, 19:17
depends really

some people (like me) saved up well in advance, and are able to afford one

some people however rely too heavily on their parents to buy such products, i equate this to being too lazy to get job,and not understanding the value of money:jmp:

And some people (like me) ARE parents and also have a mortgage to pay off on top of every other bill that comes in, and saving up for such a thing (regardless of how much I really want one) is completely out of the question.

You'll get different answers from different people as everyone is in varying financial positions.

buckmana
08-03-07, 01:23
Where were you in 1995/1996 when Sony was the newcomer to the console market? Microsoft belongs in the market as much as Sony does.

It's not really about Microsoft as it is about Bill Gates business ethics (or lack thereof).

Basically, he looks at something, says I want to dominate this field and tries to completely take it over, throwing the company's resources into doing so.

If he had his way, it would be a Microsoft world and we would be given no other options.

Another reason I have is back before XBox started, there was this game coming out for PC and Playstation I was really looking forward to playing (it was Buffy The Vampire Slayer 1). All of a sudden, XBox comes on the market and both those versions vanished to be replaced by an XBox exclusive version. And, since that day, I've always hated XBox.

I don't mind if XBox exists, as long as the games for it are also available on PS2 (at a minimum) and PC as well. But I can't stand XBox exclusive.

Mad Tony
08-03-07, 06:31
It's not really about Microsoft as it is about Bill Gates business ethics (or lack thereof).

Basically, he looks at something, says I want to dominate this field and tries to completely take it over, throwing the company's resources into doing so.

If he had his way, it would be a Microsoft world and we would be given no other options.

Another reason I have is back before XBox started, there was this game coming out for PC and Playstation I was really looking forward to playing (it was Buffy The Vampire Slayer 1). All of a sudden, XBox comes on the market and both those versions vanished to be replaced by an XBox exclusive version. And, since that day, I've always hated XBox.

I don't mind if XBox exists, as long as the games for it are also available on PS2 (at a minimum) and PC as well. But I can't stand XBox exclusive.Well that's some double standards, eh? :rolleyes: You're basically saying you want the PS2 and the PC to get loads of exclusives but you don't want Xbox to get any?

Honestly, I don't see why so many people hate the Xbox 360. Microsoft really did improve with this console, and people who bash it before they've even played it or hate it for the simple reason it's Microsoft and they hate Bill Gates, I think are stupid,

buckmana
12-03-07, 08:39
Actually, I don't want anyone to have exclusives.

If you make a game, someone should have the choice of whether they buy PC, Playstation, xbox or Dreamcast.

Sin
12-03-07, 17:02
I prefer -------------Ps3-------------!

I have a Ps2 and it´s really great, but i prefer Ps3, because of the blue-ray, and the quality of the games are relly better!
I have already pre-order mine, i Will pay half of the PS3, the other Half is my dad that is going to pay (I think he is more excited with the PS3, than me :p lol! He really loves it!!! )

-Can´t wait to get it!! Whoo!

Mad Tony
12-03-07, 17:05
Actually, I don't want anyone to have exclusives.

If you make a game, someone should have the choice of whether they buy PC, Playstation, xbox or Dreamcast.Fair enough. :)

St.Francis
12-03-07, 17:36
PS3!!!! The games are Blu-ray as well, it's not just a blu-ray dvd player. And is it really $1000, here in the UK its 425, not sure if they are the same. 11 days till I get to find out if it's any good!:jmp: :jmp: :jmp: :jmp:

AmericanAssassin
12-03-07, 18:54
The PS3 can play PS1, PS2, and PS3, has a free (amazing) internet service, has breakthrough SixAxis technology built in, a Blu-Ray disc player, has WiFi built in, 60 (or 20) GBs, and doesn't have any technical problems. What's not to like?! :)

Mad Tony
12-03-07, 18:54
The PS3 can play PS1, PS2, and PS3, has a free (amazing) internet service, has breakthrough SixAxis technology built in, a Blu-Ray disc player, has WiFi built in, 60 (or 20) GBs, and doesn't have any technical problems. What's not to like?! :)The price! :p

Cochrane
12-03-07, 19:35
and doesn't have any technical problems.

That should be a given, not listed under features.

buffytabor
12-03-07, 19:52
I am quite fond of the ps2. I am not gearing for a ps3 at all, and with me, who enjoys having every video game console ever made...(yes I seriously do) it is an odd thing for me to not want one.

Ward Dragon
12-03-07, 20:08
I personally would rather get a PS2 than a PS3. The PS3 is too expensive right now and I've heard that it has a lot of problems that need ironing out (that's true for any new console, operating system, etc.). I haven't really been paying attention to PS3 games, but there are TONS of great games on PS2 that should definitely keep you busy until the PS3 is cheaper and works better.

Taylour
13-03-07, 01:58
If you're a movie buff, I would suggest a PS3, the only reason I want one it to have a Blu Ray player.

I want to be able to watch all my Movies on my TV in high def :D

Lara.Jolie7
13-03-07, 03:56
But in future.. when come a version with cable to nex gen tv's...
a control with vibration...
And a "slin" version and tecnics problem dected and "solved"

Cause all the new generation of game have problens... Wii a lot of ppls broke controler, x-box 360 u can't play much cause he got hot and broke. etc etc etc