PDA

View Full Version : Alignment disturbs gravity?

Anubis_AF
01-04-07, 11:41
Internet connection problems prevented me to post this 4 days ago, along with losing the link. But here it is:

In 1976 the British astronomer Patrick Moore announced on BBC Radio 2 that at 9:47 AM a once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event was going to occur that listeners could experience in their very own homes. The planet Pluto would pass behind Jupiter, temporarily causing a gravitational alignment that would counteract and lessen the Earth's own gravity. Moore told his listeners that if they jumped in the air at the exact moment that this planetary alignment occurred, they would experience a strange floating sensation. When 9:47 AM arrived, BBC2 began to receive hundreds of phone calls from listeners claiming to have felt the sensation. One woman even reported that she and her eleven friends had risen from their chairs and floated around the room.

I remember my parents speaking something of this (don't ask :cln:). Apparently it wasn't as exaggerated as people made it to be but it was definitely something.
Anyone old enough to remember this?

JANKERSON
01-04-07, 11:48
I remember it, but I didn't feel anything....

Phlip
01-04-07, 11:50
I'm not old enough :(, but it would be pretty cool to experience that tho.

Rivendell
01-04-07, 11:51
Woww, that sounded cool! :D

Betal
01-04-07, 11:54
Sounds like a April fool or something:P

xcrushterx
01-04-07, 11:55
Wow, that sounds so cool :jmp:
Wish it will happen again XD

Cord_Croft
01-04-07, 11:56
I'm too young to remember it, but that sounds cool! :D

Anubis_AF
01-04-07, 11:58
It was supposed to be posted earlier, Betal :wve:
Wow, that sounds so cool :jmp:
Wish it will happen again XD
Cool? Creepy would be better as description :cln:

xcrushterx
01-04-07, 11:59
It was supposed to be posted earlier, Betal :wve:

Cool? Creepy would be better as description :cln:
Well, cool and creepy. I love that kinda freaky stuff. Probably why I see it as cool XD

Betal
01-04-07, 12:00
Betal. So it's not April Fool's joke.

Oh I didn't read that you said that sorry. But the gravity is from the middle in earh right? Because the earth is heavier then anything else on earth that's why we stay on the earth. So i don't see why this should cause a gravity problem

Mona Sax
01-04-07, 12:34
Oh I didn't read that you said that sorry. But the gravity is from the middle in earh right? Because the earth is heavier then anything else on earth that's why we stay on the earth. So i don't see why this should cause a gravity problem
Every object attracts other masses, not only Earth. In fact, you attract Earth as well, just a whole lot less because you're so much lighter. Same goes for the planets, everything gravitates towards them, too. We are pulled to Pluto and Jupiter, just like Earth itself. Problem is that this force will never be strong enough for people to notice it, no matter what the planetary constellation.

In short, while the phenomenon is real, it's not strong enough to have a noticeable effect or even to let people float. It's an old April Fool's joke.

Neteru
01-04-07, 12:40
Even though I was only 5 years old, I do remember this. 1976 was a significant year anyway, for the heatwave we had (in the UK at least). It was also a high incidence year for UFO reports.

Mytly
01-04-07, 12:42
Hmmm, Mona beat me to it ... so I'll put it in cruder words - it's complete BS. :rolleyes:
Gravity decreases with the distance squared, so anything as far away as the planets can never have a noticeable effect on anything on Earth.

Bowie
01-04-07, 12:47
This is a well-known and popular AF joke, guys.

Greenkey2
01-04-07, 12:59
How interesting. I didn't feel anything though (and wasn't around in 1976 anyway ;))

star girl
01-04-07, 13:16
That sounds awesome... but I wasn't born at that time... x.x

Anubis_AF
01-04-07, 13:41
Every object attracts other masses, not only Earth. In fact, you attract Earth as well, just a whole lot less because you're so much lighter. Same goes for the planets, everything gravitates towards them, too. We are pulled to Pluto and Jupiter, just like Earth itself. Problem is that this force will never be strong enough for people to notice it, no matter what the planetary constellation.

In short, while the phenomenon is real, it's not strong enough to have a noticeable effect or even to let people float. It's an old April Fool's joke.

Thanks for ruining the trick! :D Even though Betal outsmarted everyone else ;)

Happy April Fool's everyone! :wve:

frostfur452
01-04-07, 15:21
haha that sounded interesting too :P oh poo now i have no hope of ever again weighting a bit less for a slight moment :P j/k

Little-Lara
01-04-07, 20:45
:vlol: :vlol: Heehehhe that's cute. I like this joke.

I also like the joke on e-bay, where u could bid on cow licks, electoral votes, and other funny things, but they're fakes.!!!

Fish.
02-04-07, 00:02
Aw, that would have been cool :(