PDA

View Full Version : The "What Films Are on UK Television Tonight" Thread

TombRaiderLover
01-04-07, 14:33
Every couple of days or so, I'll inform you kind members what films are on television.

Nightmare on Elm Street - 10.00pm, Channel Five

Wes Craven's classic slasher film. American teenagers are attacked in their dreams by a horrific deformed killer by the name of Freddy Krueger.

Secretary - 11.10pm, Film Four

The award-winning 2002 black comedy. Starring James Spader as an odd lawyer, and Maggie Gyllenhaal as his new struggling, self-harming secretary.

Izzie404
01-04-07, 14:34
What about for people who don't live near where you do... :confused:

TombRaiderLover
01-04-07, 14:35
What about for people who don't live near where you do... :confused:

This thread only applies to the UK, I'm afraid. ;)

Izzie404
01-04-07, 14:41
So, shoudn't the title reflect that...not to be mean or anything, just wondering...;)

TombRaiderLover
01-04-07, 14:47
Good idea. ;)

Could a mod change the title to The "What Films are on UK Television Tonight" Thread, please?

tr_mitch
01-04-07, 15:18
I'll be watching the Secretary.... it's sleazy but funny.

Izzie404
01-04-07, 18:51
:D I helped :D

TombRaiderLover
01-04-07, 20:00
I'll be watching the Secretary.... it's sleazy but funny.

I bought it on DVD a month ago. Infact, I have both Secretary AND Elm Street on DVD! :)

xcrushterx
01-04-07, 20:02
Nightmare on Elm Street. I am SOOOOOOOOOO watching that XD

Agent 47
01-04-07, 20:10
Nightmare on Elm Street. I am SOOOOOOOOOO watching that XD

tis a classic, but i saw it on dvd recently, so i won't bother tonight

damn good classic film :tmb:

Angelus
01-04-07, 20:18
I love the Nightmare on Elm Street series.

Is it on Channel 5? 'Cos if it is, I ain't watching. :D

Agent 47
01-04-07, 20:20
I love the Nightmare on Elm Street series.

Is it on Channel 5? 'Cos if it is, I ain't watching. :D

it is indeed on Channel Five :(

*meaning cut beyond belief* :mad:

TombRaiderLover
01-04-07, 20:29
it is indeed on Channel Five :(

*meaning cut beyond belief* :mad:

Do not fear children.

I've seen the film on Channel Five before, and it wasn't cut anymore than the DVD releases have been.

Want to know what's missing from the DVD versions? . . .

All recent DVD and TV versions, whether it's in the UK or the US, are missing the huge splash of blood during Tina's death scene. The sound effect, and the shot of the blood hitting Tod in the face, are intact, though.

Agent 47
01-04-07, 20:33
Do not fear children.

I've seen the film on Channel Five before, and it wasn't cut anymore than the DVD releases have been.

Want to know what's missing from the DVD versions? . . .

All recent DVD and TV versions, whether it's in the UK or the US, are missing the huge splash of blood during Tina's death scene. The sound effect, and the shot of the blood hitting Tod in the face, are intact, though.

what about the Infinifilm version:jmp: i only know it features the alternate endings :D

TombRaiderLover
01-04-07, 20:36
what about the Infinifilm version:jmp: i only know it features the alternate endings :D

Unfortunately, the 2006 Infinifilm edition . . . also misses the blood splash. *gasp*

There's also problems with the audio too. Certain sound effects have been lost during the remastering process. Uh-oh.

Legend of Lara
01-04-07, 20:39
Cheers Dale. No more "*insert name of old movie here* on *insert name of random UK TV channel here* tonight". ;)

Agent 47
01-04-07, 20:39
Unfortunately, the 2006 Infinifilm edition . . . also misses the blood splash. *gasp*

There's also problems with the audio too. Certain sound effects have been lost during the remastering process. Uh-oh.

glad i don't have it then :D

but thanks for alerting those who might want it :)

TombRaiderLover
02-04-07, 08:11
OK, my children. Wondering what to watch tonight?

Raging Bull - Channel Five (times unknown)

Martin Scorsese's critically acclaimed 80's sports film. Charting the unsuccessful life of boxer Jake la Motta, it is considered the greatest sports film of all time.

Trainspotting - Film Four, 11.00pm

Danny Boyle's (28 Days Later, Shallow Grave) stylistic modern classic, reflecting the life of several young men addicted to drugs through the use of his amazing camerawork and fast editing.

I'll update later with Raging Bull's time.

Both brilliant films. ;) Believe me. I have one on DVD and the other on video.

tr_mitch
02-04-07, 09:03
I had to watch Trainspotting in Film Studies, I didn't really enjoy it.

xcrushterx
02-04-07, 09:43
Nightmare on Elm street was Awsome XD
The little rhyme got stuck in my head though and I was singing it when I went downstairs for something. My sister heard the singing as I passed her room, and as she is bad with scary movies and had watched it herself, she panicked and thought it was real :vlol:
1,2 Freddy's coming for you
3,4 Better lock the door
5,6 Grab the crucifix
7,8 Gonna stay up late
9,10 never sleep again :jmp:

TombRaiderLover
02-04-07, 10:11
I had to watch Trainspotting in Film Studies, I didn't really enjoy it.

*gasps*

TombRaiderLover
04-04-07, 11:09
Sorry to bump the thread and post twice in the row, but I think it's necessary because otherwise members would not see what's on tonight.

Resident Evil - Apocalypse - Channel Five, 9.00pm

The sequel to the film adapatation to the hit game series, about Umbrella Corporation and their experiments which lead to hordes of flesh-eating creatures.

CuteKittenlol
04-04-07, 11:12
Oooh, I watched that film on DVD last night, it's so awesome. :D

Guess I'll be watching that on C5 then. XD

TombRaiderLover
04-04-07, 11:13
Should have known you'd reply to that. :D

I'm fairly confident that the time and channel are right, but to be sure, I'll check later.

Alive_and_Funky
04-04-07, 11:17
Raging Bull - Channel Five (times unknown)

Martin Scorsese's critically acclaimed 80's sports film. Charting the unsuccessful life of boxer Jake la Motta, it is considered the greatest sports film of all time.
How violent is that movie (if it's just bloody boxing violence I'll be fine with that)? It's an 18 isn't it? I've never watched an 18-rated movie before and I'm a little bit squeamish.
Anyway, I'd love to watch that movie someday. I love boxing. :D

Jake Croft
04-04-07, 11:18
This film never gets boring regardless of how many times i watch it...

CuteKittenlol
04-04-07, 11:24
Should have known you'd reply to that. :D

I'm fairly confident that the time and channel are right, but to be sure, I'll check later.
Yeah, you know me too well. :D

Meh, I'll look on sky *Looks* Yeah, you're right, it says it starts a little before 9 actually. :p
How violent is that movie (if it's just bloody boxing violence I'll be fine with that)? It's an 18 isn't it? I've never watched an 18-rated movie before and I'm a little bit squeamish.
Lol! Really!? Woah, that surprised me. XD

TombRaiderLover
04-04-07, 11:26

Too late now, I'm afraid. It was on Monday night.

Haha, I have it on 2-disc DVD. :p

Most of the violence is based around the boxing, and in one scene there's a slow-motion shot of Jake being hit in the face and blood spurting out of his cheek.

There's also some violence that takes place outside the ring. If I'm correct, there was a scene in which Jake's brother closes a car door on man's head repeatedly outside a club. (I could be wrong, haven't seen the film, in months.)

Yes, the film is an 18.

The film, although made in 1980, was filmed in black-and-white, so if you're one of those who can't stand to watch films that aren't in colour, you might want to give it a pass, but I recommend that you don't. It's a hell of a brilliant film. A number of critics called it the greatest film of the 80's, and it still pops up in 'Top 100 Movies Ever' lists often.

Alive_and_Funky
04-04-07, 11:31
Lol! Really!? Woah, that surprised me. XD
Yeah, and the first 15-rated movie I watched was when I was 13. :p
Too late now, I'm afraid. It was on Monday night.

Haha, I have it on 2-disc DVD. :p
I know, so I'll get it on DVD. :p
Most of the violence is based around the boxing, and in one scene there's a slow-motion shot of Jake being hit in the face and blood spurting out of his cheek.

There's also some violence that takes place outside the ring. If I'm correct, there was a scene in which Jake's brother closes a car door on man's head repeatedly outside a club. (I could be wrong, haven't seen the film, in months.)

Yes, the film is an 18.
Sounds like I'll be fine with it then.
The film, although made in 1980, was filmed in black-and-white, so if you're one of those who can't stand to watch films that aren't in colour, you might want to give it a pass, but I recommend that you don't. It's a hell of a brilliant film. A number of critics called it the greatest film of the 80's, and it still pops up in 'Top 100 Movies Ever' lists often.
I've never really watched many black and white films, but I really enjoyed Double Indemnity. As for Raging Bull, I don't mind about it being in black and white at all since I've watched a few old boxing matches in black and white, so it sort of adds to the atmosphere.

tr_mitch
04-04-07, 11:48
Awww Resident Evil Apocalypse sucks. It seems really cheaply made to me.
Plus it clashes with Desperate Housewives, so it's a definite No from me for this film. :)

Jacob x5
04-04-07, 11:50
Did anyone see Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure last Sunday? I love that film. :D I have them both on video.

TombRaiderLover
04-04-07, 14:16
Yeah, and the first 15-rated movie I watched was when I was 13. :p
You were 13 when you first watched 'Batman?'

CuteKittenlol
04-04-07, 14:17
Awww Resident Evil Apocalypse sucks. It seems really cheaply made to me.
Plus it clashes with Desperate Housewives, so it's a definite No from me for this film. :)
I thought it was good. Perhaps not as good as the first one, but it was still...good. XD
Ohhh yeah! Meh, looks like I'm gonna be channel chopping.

tr_mitch
04-04-07, 14:44
I thought it was good. Perhaps not as good as the first one, but it was still...good. XD
Ohhh yeah! Meh, looks like I'm gonna be channel chopping.

The first one was decent.
But them 'Lickers' in the 2nd i mean come up, they were really badly animated.

-DEBUG
04-04-07, 14:50
I'm gonna watch RE:A til Desperate Housewives is on on E4 :)

Alive_and_Funky
04-04-07, 19:47
Did anyone see Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure last Sunday? I love that film. :D I have them both on video.
I missed that, which isn't... "Excellent!" :D :(
You were 13 when you first watched 'Batman?'
That's right.

Mad Tony
04-04-07, 19:57
Lol, Shaun, you're missing out on some excellent movies. :p

Alive_and_Funky
04-04-07, 19:59
Lol, Shaun, you're missing out on some excellent movies. :p
I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon, so I should be able to watch lots of great movies in the near and not-so-near the future. :ton:

TombRaiderLover
05-04-07, 19:18
Shallow Grave - Channel Four, 11.05pm

Danny Boyle's (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) directorial debut, and Ewan McGregor's first major motion picture. This violent thriller revolves around three greddy room-mates, who slowly lose their minds after finding a dead body, burying it and stealing its suitcase of money.

Lew
05-04-07, 19:21

Good choice Desperate Housewives is the best lol
I thought it was good, i loved the action more than the 1st cause she made the film less..... horrifying if you get it.

CuteKittenlol
05-04-07, 19:27
Meh "decent". :p

They weren't animated very well in the first one either. I thought that scene was great where Alice threw the bike into the licker. XD

Come up? You mean "Come on"? XD

tr_mitch
05-04-07, 20:21
Meh "decent". :p

They weren't animated very well in the first one either. I thought that scene was great where Alice threw the bike into the licker. XD

Come up? You mean "Come on"? XD

Yes 'Decent'.

I just wish Resident Evil would stick to the whole Zombie thing rather than adding monsters, i know they're in the game but still.

And yes i also meant come on, but didn't think your fickle mind would notice. :D

CuteKittenlol
05-04-07, 20:22
Yes 'Decent'.

I just wish Resident Evil would stick to the whole Zombie thing rather than adding monsters, i know they're in the game but still.

And yes i also meant come on, but didn't think your fickle mind would notice. :D
Haha, okay then. XD

Yeah, I know what you mean.

*Slaps*

TombRaiderLover
06-04-07, 19:44
Trainspotting - 11.00pm, Film Four

It was already on Monday, but for those who missed it . . . DON'T MISS IT AGAIN! :mad: Thanks for listening.

Anybody watch Shallow Grave last night? Great film?

TombRaiderLover
08-04-07, 18:19
A Life Less Ordinary - 10.35pm, Film Four

Danny Boyle's third ever major film, starring Ewan McGregor as a kidnapper and Cameron Diaz as his victim in a surreal, darkly comic and romantic comedy.

TombRaiderLover
15-04-07, 13:35
A Clockwork Orange - 10.55pm, Channel Four

Based on the 1963 novel by Anthony Burgess, Stanley's Kubrick's twisted masterpiece - banned upon release for nearly 30 years - is a study of free will and government control, through the eyes of Beethoven-obsessed crook Alex DeLarge.

Lew
15-04-07, 17:35
Lost In Translation - 21:00, Channel 4

TombRaiderLover
15-04-07, 17:41
Lost In Translation - 21:00, Channel 4

Oh right. ;) Thanks. :wve:

Yes, right before A Clockwork Orange.

laralauraxxx
15-04-07, 17:42
I'll be getting an early night for school tomorrow :(

Lara Lover
15-04-07, 21:49
Just finished watching 'Lost in Translation' - Gotta say, even though I've seen it twice, it's an awesome movie. :tmb:

TombRaiderLover
15-04-07, 21:52
Just finished watching 'Lost in Translation' - Gotta say, even though I've seen it twice, it's an awesome movie. :tmb:

A Clockwork Orange is on in a few minutes. You better watch it. :p