PDA

View Full Version : The Most Hated Family in America...

tr_mitch
01-04-07, 15:50
On tonight on BBC2 at 9 o'clock.

They call themselves the most hated family in the US and they picket funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq. So what did Louis Theroux make of the Phelpses after three weeks?

In any country, let alone one as patriotic as the US, few actions are as provocative as protesting at a soldier's funeral.

The Phelps family pickets mourners across the country, to mark what it describes as God's revenge on the US for tolerating homosexuality.

Their actions are in the name of the Westboro Baptist Church, which numbers 71 and is headed by "Gramps", preacher Fred Phelps. The church, which is based in Topeka, Kansas, mostly comprises his extended family.

Louis Theroux, himself no stranger to people with unconventional views, says the Phelpses are the most extreme people he has ever met. But in the following interview, he reveals how three weeks with them left him perplexed by their motivation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6507971.stm

Lenochka
01-04-07, 16:02
Oh gosh not Lady insano xD

That whole family is insane, They need help... they really do

Forwen
01-04-07, 16:06
The really peculiar thing about this article is that the family in question is described like a rare and exotic species - or a faraway culture - with purpose of demythologising it. "No, they haven't got zebra heads and don't grow ducats on trees. They're actually quite like us, toes and everything!". 30 years ago such simplistic writing style would've been applied to homosexuals, not people opposing them.

tr_mitch
01-04-07, 16:06
What do they expect when they thank god for Aids and 9/11 happening. :rolleyes:

Neteru
01-04-07, 16:10
And before members really get into posting in this thread, if they do, I don't want to see this turning into a hate fest, with members wallowing in vitriol. ;)

AnthonyShock1515
01-04-07, 16:27
Removed

Draco
01-04-07, 17:35
eh?

Tombcool
01-04-07, 17:53
I am not going to start a fight like last time, I just have one thing to say:

That family is probably the rudest and most disrespectful family, but can people stop posting posts like these?

I am getting sick and tired of them! Honestly.

HONESTLY, WHO CARES?!

Forwen
01-04-07, 18:03
I am not going to start a fight like last time, I just have one thing to say:

That family is probably the rudest and most disrespectful family, but can people stop posting posts like these?

I am getting sick and tired of them! Honestly.

HONESTLY, WHO CARES?!

Several seconds ago this post was three times longer. Self-censoring?

Tombcool
01-04-07, 18:07
Self-censoring of course.

I realized i'll get the same reactions from the mods and members.

They'll just go into some hate-mongering spree and start going against my views because I know a lot of members here can't agree with my Muslim views.

Forwen
01-04-07, 18:15
They'll just go into some hate-mongering spree and start going against my views because I know a lot of members here can't agree with my Muslim views.

What else do you expect from a community made up mostly of non-Muslims? Criticism does not equal forbidding, however. If you can't put up with counter-arguments, that's you. Don't blame it on this forum.

Izzie404
01-04-07, 19:23
Why do people bother to reply saying to stop posting threads like this... It's stupid to do that because it [sort of] bumps the thread back up which attracts more attention, and that would make more people talk about it...Don't reply to threads which you believe are stupid.

The family does kind of seem messed up, just because families should be allowed to mourn in peace. Tho I do respect that everyone can have their own values.

tr_mitch
01-04-07, 21:11
The family does kind of seem messed up, just because families should be allowed to mourn in peace. Tho I do respect that everyone can have their own values.

Its absolutely fine for people to have their own values, but when they force it down your throat and try to 'preach' what they believe,thats a total different matter... Which is exactly what that family does.

Bowie
02-04-07, 00:59
I can imagine no loving God ever liking this family.

Tombcool
02-04-07, 02:04
Its absolutely fine for people to have their own values, but when they force it down your throat and try to 'preach' what they believe,thats a total different matter... Which is exactly what that family does.

Exactly.

DREWY
02-04-07, 02:13
I can say in all honesty, that if a family came protesting at a funeral for one of my immediate family members, they wouldn't be doing it again.

DREWY
02-04-07, 02:20
Self-censoring of course.

I realized i'll get the same reactions from the mods and members.

You are perfectly entitled to state your opinion, as long as it doesn't breach the T&C, but remember others are entitled to theirs. Just because people disagree with you, that doesn't make them wrong either.
As for mod hate mongering? Huh? Persecution complex much?

Night Crawler
02-04-07, 02:48
If they're gonna be in heaven then I think I'd rather go to hell!

L.C
02-04-07, 08:15
After seeing the programme last night, I could only shake my head. Instead of providing profound and insightful answers to their beliefs, for the most part they resorted to childish name-calling and subject avoidance.

Kudos to Louis for pointing out to them that although they were slamming the Jewish people for 'killing Christ,' Jesus himself was Jewish, and he was actually prosecuted by the Romans :rolleyes:

tr_mitch
02-04-07, 09:07
After seeing the programme last night, I could only shake my head. Instead of providing profound and insightful answers to their beliefs, for the most part they resorted to childish name-calling and subject avoidance.

I know what you mean.
They seemed to have an answer for everything, only problem being their answers were not logical, and if they couldn't answer a question quoting from the holy scriptures then they would just say that the question is 'dumb' and 'Your being silly'.

It really was like a cult, excluded from the world... and the disrespect that they had was just sickening.

L.C
02-04-07, 09:50
Cult, indeed. The only ones that they seem to be really influencing to their doctrine onto are their own children, and with their talk of chastity and abstinence, they themselves are doomed to die out as they constantly drum into their heads that reproduction is evil.

disneyprincess20
02-04-07, 09:54
I haven't seen the show, but I heard the podcast. Apparently they were picketing a funeral and some girl stopped by in a car and asked them why are they doing this. They said it's because they are evil, and one of the girls said that the man being buried was this other girls father. The mother looked at this girl and said "I'm sorry but your father is in Hell". When Louis was talking about this he asked them if they felt bad about it and they said they were doing the girl a favour.

I can understand the right to free speech, but these people push it very far in a wrong direction.........

Greenkey2
02-04-07, 09:59
Although I only caught the last few minutes of the programme, I can say that the only thing these people fill me with is terrible, abject pity.

Jacob x5
02-04-07, 13:48
I saw a very small snippet of this show and wasn't sure whether I wanted to watch it all or not see another moment of it. Eventually I chose the latter option. All I'm going to say is that I really, really wouldn't get on with those people.