PDA

View Full Version : ADVICES on how to make a HOME MOVIE!

Lara Croft!
01-04-07, 23:10
We're thinking with my friends to make a movie.Of course we are all amateurs from every aspect,we don't plan on spending money and generally it will be sth for fun.However,we want to have a nice editing (arrange scenes,fadeouts,add music to the video and add sound effects)

So,I could use any advise from anyone who is an expert or has tried this before or can offer any tips...

Do you know any good FREE MOVIE EDITING PROGRAMS or any site that might be of help?

tlr online
01-04-07, 23:11
Windows Movie Maker. Comes with Windows XP I believe.

AmericanAssassin
01-04-07, 23:13
Do you know any good FREE MOVIE EDITING PROGRAMS or any site that might be of help?

I've been wondering the same thing too. I want to edit videos, but my software doesn't work.

Personally, it doesn't work for me. Anything else? ;)

Lavinder
01-04-07, 23:13

But try to make the video your own, without using too many gimmicky transitions that make videos look cheap. :)

Lara Croft!
01-04-07, 23:19
What do you mean gimmicky Laura?

I have the movie maker!Does it allow me to add music in a video?

Hyper_Crazy
01-04-07, 23:25
What Movie Maker is it? Is it the latest version? Or maybe you could try Sony Vegas.

AmericanAssassin
01-04-07, 23:25
Sony Vegas.

I downloaded a trial of that once and it was the best program I've ever used! Where do you get it for free, HC?

Lavinder
01-04-07, 23:26
What do you mean gimmicky Laura?

I have the movie maker!Does it allow me to add music in a video?

Just my word for something that is cheap and overused :p

Yeah, it is pretty simple you just import it and drag it in the the time line. Ask one of your friends if she/he has used it before, most people have used it if they are doing ICT :)

Yeah, I use Sony Vegas too. But you have to pay for it, it is not free :)

Hyper_Crazy
01-04-07, 23:28
I downloaded a trial of that once and it was the best program I've ever used! Where do you get it for free, HC?

Heres the link for the free trial: http://www.download.com/Vegas-Movie-Studio-Platinum/3000-2194_4-10580490.html?tag=lst-0-4

AmericanAssassin
01-04-07, 23:29
Yeah, I use Sony Vegas too. But you have to pay for it, it is not free :)

It's so expensive though. :(

Lavinder
01-04-07, 23:29
Heres the link for the free trial: http://www.download.com/Vegas-Movie-Studio-Platinum/3000-2194_4-10580490.html?tag=lst-0-4

Would the trial not work if it has already been used before?

@AmericanAssassin :( Save up? Or there might be a good free program on the internet :)

Hyper_Crazy
01-04-07, 23:30
Would the trial not work if it has already been used before?

I don't know, maybe, uninstall it of your PC and then download it again, I don't know.

AnthonyShock1515
01-04-07, 23:32
Try www.channel4.com (http://www.channel4.com)

Look there for sometihng called "4docs"

It's a thing where you cna make your own 4 minute long documentry on absoloutly everything, Australian agriculture to Upholstery.

It had loads of different tips on how to successfully make a very good home movie, how to do the SFX and how to properly shoot.

Home movies are fun:D
But there's nothing worse than sitting down to show grandma the time you went to Majorca when a clip of you and your friends having pretend gunfights randomly interferes:cln:

Yes, it's happened:D

Lara Croft!
01-04-07, 23:50
Yeah, it is pretty simple you just import it and drag it in the the time line. Ask one of your friends if she/he has used it before, most people have used it if they are doing ICT :)

I have used movie maker but only to make a clip with pics....And I will be doing the editing work,almost by myself...

seth777
01-04-07, 23:58
If you're really stuck to use legal software, Vegas is a good option, never really used it, only for sound editing. if not, try considering Adobe Premiere it's relatively simple to use, well based on what you pretend to do, it has great filters, and let you take completely control on waht you're doing, well that's actually obviously cause it's a professional program... At the same time you can also use Adobe After Effects, with it you can put some great effects on your video, really really good, basicaly uses the same Premiere Interface, so if you know how to deal with one you also know the other, it also requires a nice computer to run without major problems...

Lara Croft!
02-04-07, 00:02
Judging from Photoshop,Adobe's movie editor must the best option....

Try www.channel4.com (http://www.channel4.com)

Very nice!!!Thanks!!

seth777
02-04-07, 00:07
Judging from Photoshop,Adobe's movie editor must the best option....

Tell me about it, i'm so excited to get the new Creative Suite 3, kinda like the excitment that I have for TRA lool

Lara Croft!
02-04-07, 00:10
I do want to try Vegas,though...It's a 30day trial...I may have time to finish the movie editing for free!

seth777
02-04-07, 00:17
Sure, from what I remember Vegas was really good, not like windows media maker wich it's very limited...

Lara Croft!
02-04-07, 00:21
What I really need to do is to add music to the film and some sound effects.Is that difficult?

P.S I have downloaded Vegas trial...It's for 30 days.Are the days counted everytime I use it?Or if I install it,it will last 30 days no matter how often I use it?

seth777
02-04-07, 00:23
What I really need to do is to add music to the film and some sound effects.Is that difficult?

P.S I have downloaded Vegas trial...It's for 30 days.Are the days counted everytime I use it?Or if I install it,it will last 30 days no matter how often I use it?

That's pretty easy to do.. Well if the trial says 30 days it's 30 days, I don't think Sony would ofter a demo based on the times you open the program...

Mr.Burns
02-04-07, 00:36
We're thinking with my friends to make a movie.Of course we are all amateurs from every aspect,we don't plan on spending money and generally it will be sth for fun.However,we want to have a nice editing (arrange scenes,fadeouts,add music to the video and add sound effects)

So,I could use any advise from anyone who is an expert or has tried this before or can offer any tips...

Adobe Premiere would be your best bet. It's quite versatile for a entry level editor.

As for tips, well, there's quite a lot I could suggest but I'll just keep it simple.

A:Think up of an idea and write a basic story for it. It helps when you have your movie mapped out before shooting.

B: Have fun with your shots but try not to go too crazy with them. You don't want to give your viewers a headache (blair witch project for example)

C: shoot multiple takes in case a particular shot didn't come out the way you like it.

D: Editing: Fade in and Fade out would be best used only in the beginning and end. Premiere has some nice transitional effects. You can also use After Effects as well but as Seth pointed out, make sure you have a computer that can handle video editing. It's right up there with hardcore gaming in terms of abusing a computer.

It'll get the job done but I'm personally not a fan of Movie maker.

Judging from Photoshop,Adobe's movie editor must the best option.

For what you'll need I'd say so:) If you were to get serious and you had a Mac, you could go for Final Cut Pro, but it's extremely expensive and really wouldn't suite your needs.

Sound editing can be a bit tricky but some basic things to remember:

Adding music isn't hard, all you need to do is take the music you want and have it converted over to a format that your editor will recognize (.wav for example) Most editors will have a timeline on the bottom with usually three or more "levels" One for video, two for stereo audio. Usually you can add on more levels for addition audio. There's stock sound effects you can get on CD and can probably be found on Amazon.com among other places. You can also make your own. Best way for what you'll be doing is to have a computer mic and record your effects directly. You can also record right off the video camera (if the camera has an option for an external mic that would be better). When transferring to your computer, you can setup options that will only allow the audio to transfer over.

It's quite a bit to take in but I'm sure you'll be fine. As for the trial, it's 30 days from the date you installed it. I wouldn't recommend deinstalling and then reinstalling since that would cause a performance decrease in your computer and you can't afford that. Hope this has helped :wve:

AnthonyShock1515
02-04-07, 00:40
If your recording on a street, try recording the background track separate of the the traffic and stuff.

The channel4 website on 'fourdocs' has plenty of SFX you can use and little videoclips you can use. Such as people walking across the millenium bridge nd stuff.

seth777
02-04-07, 00:43
Nice tips Mr Burns:tmb:

Just to reforce the point D: Never use fades during the video, if you really want use them, use them between different "scenes" of the movie, not in dialogues for exemple, otherwise it will became very unprofessional...

Lara Croft!
02-04-07, 00:47
Thank you so much Burns and Anthony!!!:hug:

make sure you have a computer that can handle video editing

what are the requirements???

seth777
02-04-07, 00:57
: what are the requirements???

I have a pentium 4 3ghz with 1gb ram and after effects runs fine.. so something like that should do it..

Mr.Burns
02-04-07, 01:00
Nice tips Mr Burns:tmb:

Just to reforce the point D: Never use fades during the video, if you really want use them, use them between different "scenes" of the movie, not in dialogues for exemple, otherwise it will became very unprofessional...

Ditto :tmb:

Thank you so much Burns and Anthony!!!:hug:

what are the requirements???

You're quite welcome :wve:

Well, it depends on which program you go with but Premiere's requirements:
from the Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/)website:

Intel® Pentium® 4 (2GHz processor for DV; 3.4GHz processor for HDV), Intel Centrino®, Intel Xeon® (dual 2.8GHz processors for HD), or Intel Core™ Duo (or compatible) processor; SSE2-enabled processor required for AMD systems
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional or Home Edition with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (certified for 32-bit editions)
1GB of RAM for DV; 2GB of RAM for HDV and HD
10GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
Dedicated 7,200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred
1,280x1,024 monitor resolution with 32-bit video card; Adobe recommended graphics card for GPU-accelerated playback
Microsoft DirectX or ASIO compatible sound card
For SD/HD workflows, an Adobe certified card for capture and export to tape
DVD-ROM drive
Blu-ray burner required for Blu-ray Disc creation
DVD+-R burner required for DVD creation
OHCI compatible IEEE 1394 port for DV and HDV capture, export to tape, and transmit to DV device
QuickTime 7 software required to use QuickTime features
Internet or phone connection required for product activation
Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos* and other services
1,280x1,024 monitor resolution with 32-bit video card; Adobe recommended graphics card for GPU-accelerated playback (see the full compatible hardware (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/dvhdwrdb.html) listing)This is actually for Premiere Pro but this will give you a basic idea. The main thing is to make sure you meet AT LEAST minimum requirements for Processor speed, memory and hard drive space. Going below these specs will cause the computer to run extremely slow and suffer from severe stability issues. Like I said, video editing pushes computers to the limits. So make sure you don't have any programs running in the background since they will take up valuable resources.

Lara Croft!
02-04-07, 01:05
I'm so excited!!!!I'll see which program suits me best and I'll come back with more questions!!!!

Thank you all so much for the help!!!:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Any advices and tips always welcome!

Mr.Burns
02-04-07, 01:09
You're quite welcome, glad to be of help:)

Lara Croft!
29-05-07, 13:22
Sorry for reviving this old thread but I thought it was preferable than making a new one. I finally chose to work with Quicktime Pro for the editing of each scene and imovies for the final cut and sound effects.

Everything is going well,but we face a problem. When we are shooting outdoors our voices are barely heard. Do u have any suggestions? We were thinking to buy a couple portable mics. What do u think?

Edit:I try to edit the title >Go advanced and correct the "s" in advices but it won't work . . .

Kamrusepas
29-05-07, 13:25
Portable mics are probably the best way to go :tmb:

Mr.Burns
30-05-07, 00:41
You probably get a fair amount of wind noise on the recording I take it. On camera mics aren't the best since they're designed to pick up audio from a broad range. Portable mics with a wind sock will help a lot. See if your cameras have a mic input on them. If not, you can try re-recording the audio on a quiet room with little to no echo and then try dubbing it over. Otherwise, you should see about getting a portable audio recorder, the portable mics and a clapper board so you can sync up the audio.

AnthonyShock1515
30-05-07, 00:47
Sometimes when I try doing an amateur movie with my friends I mime the words then record and add them later.

Lara Croft!
30-05-07, 12:00
If not, you can try re-recording the audio on a quiet room with little to no echo and then try dubbing it over.

Ηmmm I thought of that too... I'm afraid that the outcome may look ridiculous!

Mr.Burns
30-05-07, 15:48
Well, it's not easy but this is how you would go about it. Make sure you either have a script or can at least figure out what the lines are. Shoot your scenes, write down the lines, re-record the lines like I described earlier with the person watching the footage as they are speaking the lines while recording. Here's some information regarding the terminology (http://filmsound.org/terminology/adr.htm)and methods (http://www.geocities.com/gselinsky/nonsync.html) and a brief introduction to foley work (http://www.marblehead.net/foley/whatisitman.html) (sound effects).

Lara Croft!
31-05-07, 11:19
Thank u so much! You now all these things... Have u ever made a movie yourself?

Mr.Burns
31-05-07, 16:20
A few low budget shorts and four years at film school before that. I've done some videography on the side though for the past few months I've taken a break. Quite a few of my coworkers keep telling me that I should have gone for that new reality tv show "On the Lot" but I hate directing :)

Lara Croft!
31-05-07, 16:52
Really? So I hope you don't mind my sedning to u a pm next time I have a question about the movie we are making.Do u have any imovies knowledge?