PDA

View Full Version : Schools 'avoid Holocaust lessons'

Mad Tony
02-04-07, 21:41
Some schools avoid teaching the Holocaust and other controversial history subjects as they do not want to cause offence, research has claimed.

Teachers fear meeting anti-Semitic sentiment, particularly from Muslim pupils, the government-funded study by the Historical Association said.
It also said the way the slave trade was taught could leave both white and black children feeling alienated.
Ministers in England had asked for guidance on teaching emotive subjects.

When he commissioned the report last year, schools minister Lord Adonis said the national curriculum encouraged teachers to choose content "likely to resonate in their multicultural classrooms" - but some found it difficult to do that.
The Historical Association report claimed: "Teachers and schools avoid emotive and controversial history for a variety of reasons, some of which are well-intentioned.
"Staff may wish to avoid causing offence or appearing insensitive to individuals or groups in their classes.
"In particular settings, teachers of history are unwilling to challenge highly contentious or charged versions of history in which pupils are steeped at home, in their community or in a place of worship."
The report gave the example of a history department in a northern city which decided not to teach the Holocaust as a topic for GCSE coursework.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6517359.stm

I think this is shocking and utterly unacceptable. And it's not just happening in the UK from what I've heard.

I just wanna know why the world is so politically correct these days.

xMiSsCrOfTx
02-04-07, 21:45
How stupid! How is it offensive? It's history. 1984 anyone? Pretty soon, kids won't have the slightest idea what the Holocaust was. Major events in history like this one will slowly be erased and forgotten. Creepy. And pathetic.

Jacob x5
02-04-07, 21:46
Teachers fear meeting anti-Semitic sentiment, particularly from Muslim pupils...

Live in our country; do it our way. Go to our puplic schools; learn what our public schools teach. ;)

Another Lara
02-04-07, 21:46
That is just recdiculous... they shouldn't stop teaching this to kids, not that it would be forgotten, but the whole in teaching people about it is to make people aware how much evil there can be in the world and how important it is that it doesn't happen again!

I took GCSE History and that was where I learnt about it. We had a history trip to Germany and Poland and we went to Auschwitz, Krakow and other concentration camps. The experience will stay with me forever and it sickens me that the thought of not teaching kids about the Holocaust even crosses people minds!:mad:

Assassino
02-04-07, 21:47
Live in our country; do it our way. Go to our puplic schools; learn what our public schools teach. ;)

Thank god!
Somebody thinks like I do:D

Forwen
02-04-07, 21:47

Yup.

saray
02-04-07, 21:49
what a load of crap!
i want to learn about english history, especially the holcaust and they have no right to stop me learning about my countrys past...

pillocs.

Catapharact
Teachers fear meeting anti-Semitic sentiment, particularly from Muslim pupils

What the hell?!?!

Ok... How close minded do they think we are???? This ins't just an insult to the Jewish community; This little act also degrades the Muslim community! Gosh, I have wasted my breath time and time again trying to convay the message that muslims are not out to eat you alive!

Oh the hypocracy of Left-wing ideology.... *<Has a headache.*

Jacob x5
The problem is that our public schools aren't teaching what they're supposed to teach. We shouldn't feel threatened by immigrants who move here. It's their choice to live here, but they should accept what we have to offer. Not only is it high time they realised that, but it's high time we realised that. We're all a big bunch of wusses.

jarhead
02-04-07, 21:50
Our teacher didnt skip anything detail of such topics when we did history in year 9.

And Alyssa right, these things will be forgotten, and thats wrong

Mad Tony
02-04-07, 21:51
What the hell?!?!

Ok... How close minded do they think we are???? This ins't just an insult to the Jewish community; This little act also degrades the Muslim community! Gosh, I have wasted my breath time and time again trying to convay the message that muslims are not out to eat you alive!

Oh the hypocracy of Left-wing ideology.... *<Has a headache.*I'm sorry to say, but the article has a point. It's a fact that not all Muslims are like this. In fact, most Muslims aren't like that. But there is a growing number of Muslims in the UK protesting against British traditions.

Natey168
02-04-07, 21:51
Wow, that's what we're learning about right now.

Catapharact
02-04-07, 21:52
I'm sorry to say, but the article has a point. It's a fact that not all Muslims are like this. In fact, most Muslims aren't like that. But there is a growing number of Muslims in the UK protesting against British religions.

Well they have their right to protest but then the govenment has its right to make laws on behalf of the majority and as such Left-wingers (muslims and non-muslims alike) need to sit down and actually look at this through a logical viewpoint.

Jacob x5
02-04-07, 21:52
...there is a growing number of Muslims in the UK protesting against British religions.

Then that's one big contradiction and they don't deserve to call themselves Muslims, "according to the Quran".

Mad Tony
02-04-07, 21:54
Sorry about that. I made an error. Where I put religions I meant to say traditions.

Geck-o-Lizard
02-04-07, 21:55
The only way for the holocaust to happen again is for us to forget what happened during WWII. This is a step in that direction. It doesn't matter who is offended by what happened, we must NEVER forget about it.

Forwen
Catapharact, do you have any comparative insight into Western Muslim minorities? How well do they reflect Middle Eastern societies?

Jacob x5
Sorry about that. I made an error. Where I put religions I meant to say traditions.

Too late; I quoted you. :D You were right the first time, anyway. ;)

Mad Tony
02-04-07, 21:56
The only way for the holocaust to happen again is for us to forget what happened during WWII. This is a step in that direction. It doesn't matter who is offended by what happened, we must NEVER forget about it.Absolutely. Not teaching these things will only encourage these events to happen again. Which is not acceptable.

@Jacob: Well the traditions part is more of a larger area. It's not just religions.

Catapharact
02-04-07, 21:58
Catapharact, do you have any comparative insight into Western Muslim minorities? How well do they reflect Middle Eastern societies?

Western Minorities tend to feel threatened; More isolated; Especially so after 9/11. To a certain extent, I don't blame em; Keeping in mind the events surrounding Bosnia, etc.

However, being a muslim in a country also means abiding by its laws and well... learning about the holoucaust is in no way a breech of individual rights and in by no means is it forbiddened in Islam (duh!)

raiderfun
02-04-07, 22:01
Teachers fear meeting anti-Semitic sentiment, particularly from Muslim pupils, the government-funded study by the Historical Association said.

Sorry ! But this is stupid ! I don't agree with this anymore :mad:
This is rascism !

Mad Tony
02-04-07, 22:02
This is rascism !It's not racism. A lot of people are generally scared of doing certain things or teaching certain things because they might upset people.

Forwen
02-04-07, 22:05
This is rascism !

Racism is not based on religion. Yet another word so conveniently tossed around whenever someone dares claim some social problems stem from cultural differences.

domina
02-04-07, 22:12
Wow, and I thought the debate about evolution being taught in schools was absurd.

Honestly, the idea of leaving out some vital part of history because of political sensitivies is ridiculous. Not having these sorts of things discussed in an educational environment with someone who (hopefully, anyway) knows what they're talking about is only going to lead to false assumptions and possibly create more damage.

The Holocaust happened. Slavery happened. These are just facts of our history. Ignoring them to avoid hurt feelings is not going to make that change.

raiderfun
02-04-07, 22:17
It's not racism. A lot of people are generally scared of doing certain things or teaching certain things because they might upset people.

I understand. But what the word Musilms is doing here , that prooves that the world's biggest terrorist in the world are the muslims. If they don't wanna teach Holocaust lessons it's Ok, (We personally do not study it) but saying that they have the fear of muslims, so here I can say that is unfair.

Racism is not based on religion. Yet another word so conveniently tossed around whenever someone dares claim some social problems stem from cultural differences.

Oh really, since when then ?

Tomb Raider 5194
02-04-07, 22:21
Itīs very ridiculous, those parts of history are very important.

Jacob x5
02-04-07, 22:23

:tmb:

domina
02-04-07, 22:23
Oh really, since when then ?

Racism is based on, as the word suggests, race, not religion. Occasionally they correspond to one another, but that's not always the case. "Racism" is just a more politically-charged word than "ethnocentrism" or "discrimination" so it gets used more.

Jacob x5
02-04-07, 22:27
Racism is based on, as the word suggests, race, not religion. Occasionally they correspond to one another, but that's not always the case. "Racism" is just a more politically-charged word than "ethnocentrism" or "discrimination" so it gets used more.

Also, 'religionism' sounds crap. :D

domina
02-04-07, 22:28
Also, 'religionism' sounds crap. :D

An excellent point! ;)

raiderfun
02-04-07, 22:35

Ok, so let's just replace the word "rascism" by "discrimination" :rolleyes:

Mr.Burns
03-04-07, 01:53
The only way for the holocaust to happen again is for us to forget what happened during WWII. This is a step in that direction. It doesn't matter who is offended by what happened, we must NEVER forget about it.

Currently there are groups out there that are trying to encourage this sort of rubbish. As it stands right now there is archival evidence (records, photographs, etc) that prove that the Holocaust occurred however we also have testimony from survivors. The problem that we're facing is that the survivors are starting to die off and once they are gone, there will be no one to refute these claims that the Holocaust never happened. Too many groups out there are trying to erase what happened and it sickens me that they would try to do so. I am in complete agreement with Cat. This is a travisty however it's also something that I have begun to see here as well. School systems have to stop being so PC and just teach the history as it has been recorded. I know, it's not always that simple but we can't start taking the simple way out.

Taylour
03-04-07, 02:22
Wow, this is pretty hard to believe since my entire English class was basically about the Holocost and the forced conversion to Christianity in Africa. I couldn't imagine this being forgotten!

JANKERSON
03-04-07, 02:24

That is something that should never be forgotten and as a lesson for those people who think it can't ever happen.

Cord_Croft
03-04-07, 07:21

Ditto.

I think it is absolutley disgusting that they aren't teaching it. The more we forget, the more likely it will just happen all over again.

Little-Lara
03-04-07, 07:33

Interesting how the article was quick to point out anti-Semitic behavior by Muslims when in fact the Holocaust had Absolutely nothing to do with Muslims.

StUdEnT rAiDeR
03-04-07, 09:01

Your forgetting its their country to. So their children are from england and are also muslims. It seemes a bit drastic so how is it going to be done. Will it be just stop teaching it next year to all the year 7/8/9's or somthing?

jjbennett
03-04-07, 09:04
One of the most poignant times in recent history is being avoided, disgraceful on so many levels. It really does worry me when some people i know know nothing about the atrocities and things that went on in the death camps.

J.

Mad Tony
03-04-07, 09:15
Interesting how the article was quick to point out anti-Semitic behavior by Muslims when in fact the Holocaust had Absolutely nothing to do with Muslims.Quite right, but that article is not just about some schools not teaching the holocausts, it's about all controversial subjects.

Phlip
03-04-07, 09:16
Whoa!

How on earth can it be offensive?

Little-Lara
03-04-07, 09:41
Quite right, but that article is not just about some schools not teaching the holocausts, it's about all controversial subjects.

Okaay....... yeah, I know. I decided to focus on the part I quoted.

Geck-o-Lizard
03-04-07, 09:54
Ben, you left out an important part of the article there.

A Department of Education and Skills spokesman said ... "Teaching of the Holocaust is already compulsory in schools at KS3. It will remain so in the new KS3 curriculum from September 2008.

"As Alan Johnson made clear in January there are certain subjects which will be protected in the new curriculum and that includes the Holocaust."

So schools will not be able to avoid teaching about the Holocaust.

Mad Tony
03-04-07, 10:00
Ben, you left out an important part of the article there.

So schools will not be able to avoid teaching about the Holocaust.Sorry, I didn't read that part. I only read the top few paragraphs and I didn't wanna post the whole thing because I didn't want it to be too long winded. My bad.

Well this is good news then. :)

disneyprincess20
03-04-07, 10:02
It is disgusting that political correctness may stop one of the most important lessons in modern history being passed down to future generations. I've noticed more and more apathy to historical events and it's really aggravating. People forget that men died to keep our country (the UK) free and women died to give us the right to vote. Now they abuse this right that past generations fought so hard for by not voting because "they can't be bothered".

I think history is such an important subject and the important events should never be forgotten. The holocaust was a terrible, terrible thing, but it needs to taught to younger generations otherwise something equally as bad could happen again. Children need to learn from past mistakes and hiding from the subject matter is not doing them any favours in the end.

EDIT: just seen Geck's post. Sorry for the rant!!

Geck-o-Lizard
03-04-07, 10:47
Sorry, I didn't read that part. I only read the top few paragraphs

:hea:

Well now at least you know why it's a good idea to read the whole thing before setting off on a crusade against it.

Mad Tony
03-04-07, 13:38
:hea:

Well now at least you know why it's a good idea to read the whole thing before setting off on a crusade against it.True, but this article has raised questions about political correctness as a whole anyway.

Neteru
03-04-07, 17:41
Yes, but don't blanket view a whole group just because one article uses a plural form - teachers. That is, what teachers exactly? How many were canvassed? Relatively few I would suspect. The story is just hyperbole, designed to kick up a fuss.

jackles
03-04-07, 18:13
What worries me is that everyone has a duty to make sure that devastating historical events are not forgotten. I have read of white people denying the holocaust existed. To me it doesnt matter what colour or creed someone is then the truth however unpalatable needs to be spoken. I'm sick of pc waffle.