PDA

View Full Version : Reusable Switches

3AOD3
02-04-07, 23:48
I want to create a timed dash, where you pull a switch, a door opens. (I believe I know how to do timers. You just put a number of seconds in the timer slot in the trigger window, correct?) How do you make it so that after the amount of time the switch resets and you can use the switch again? Thank you!

tweetygwee
02-04-07, 23:55
It does that automatically when the time is over, you don't have to do anything.

3AOD3
03-04-07, 00:53
Wow. I feel like a complete moron! I tried all these different types of triggers because it wouldn't work on my other switches :confused: but it worked on this one! THANKS! :D

aktrekker
03-04-07, 07:29
Not all switches will reset.

Titak
03-04-07, 08:00
Switches that reset:
- small TR3 like pushswitch
- old style wall leverswitch
- leverswitch (the one on the floor with the large lever sticking out)

These are the ones I know of. There might be more, I can't remember...
There's also one type of jumpswitch that resets, but I can't remember in which TR4 wad it can be found. :o

QRS
03-04-07, 11:24
The leverswitch can be used in timed runs but the animation doesn't change. In other words, the lever doesn't go back to its original position after the time is up etc. So it can be a bit confusing after a timed run hehe.

The special jumpswitch that resets comes from the "tomb of semerkhet" wad :)

Piega
03-04-07, 14:16
Yes the jumpswitch from Semerkhet. It is asked a few times in a long period that I added this item at TRsearch :)

http://www.trsearch.org/Items/1999

Patricia_S
08-11-09, 17:38
Hey folks!
Sorry for digging this old topic ;)
I am sure i have seen a lever switch that resets in a level (an old one) but i just can't figure out which one.
:confused:

aktrekker
08-11-09, 21:46
Hey folks!
Sorry for digging this old topic ;)
I am sure i have seen a lever switch that resets in a level (an old one) but i just can't figure out which one.
:confused:

2.5 years...not quite a record but...

You should be able to use the standard lever switch from any wad. If it doesn't reset, you should be able to fix it using WadMerger. It only needs a state change to go from the "switched" state back to the "reset" state.

Patricia_S
09-11-09, 14:28
thank you
I found out that lever switches don't work fine with timers. I have no idea whether it has to do with state IDs so i'll check that with an expert ^^

Titak
09-11-09, 15:02
Define "lever switch".
Do you mean the leverswitch that's placed on the ground and which was first used in TR4, or the oldfashioned wall lever?

Which ever it is, the switch should also have a "going back to original position" animation and ofcourse those stateid's aktrekker mentioned.

Patricia_S
09-11-09, 17:13
Define "lever switch".
Do you mean the leverswitch that's placed on the ground and which was first used in TR4, or the oldfashioned wall lever?

Which ever it is, the switch should also have a "going back to original position" animation and ofcourse those stateid's aktrekker mentioned.

The lever_switch is typically the one on the ground with a long stick. It does have the "reset" anim but as aktrekker suggested, i guess something is wrong with the state ID.
The lever resets if you use a timer but it also jams the triggers randomly.
I compared the anims with the jump switch that resets but being a true State ID ignorant i just could not see what was wrong :p

Titak
09-11-09, 17:43
Okay, I figured you meant that switch.
It's just that I've also seen it used for the wall lever.

I've used timed lever switches and they always worked fine.
But I have never investigated the StateID's of objects other than Lara, so I can't help much I'm afraid. :o

Patricia_S
10-11-09, 08:38
I've used timed lever switches and they always worked fine.

That is true, me too :D
For instance you trigger a door with timer 5 and the door does shut after 5 seconds but the lever does not get back to its initial position :(
If you want the lever to have its "reset" animation work then you have to press 1-5 buttons but then, the triggers get jammed.
What a pity we cannot have both possibilities

But I have never investigated the StateID's of objects other than Lara, so I can't help much I'm afraid. :o
No problem ;)

Titak
10-11-09, 12:06
The switches always reset for me. :confused:

I guess I got lucky and used the right switches all those times...

1upMushroom
10-11-09, 13:02
I think it depends on which of the lever switch objects you use.
I know that this is a problem with the switch from catacombs.wad.

You should experiment with the switch objects from the other .wad files; and find out which of them works.

Patricia_S
10-11-09, 13:12
Thank you, so maybe there is only one ;)
I used the settomb, catacomb, burial chambers and citadel gate ones.
I am going to try them all :D

edit: by the way is there a Lara's state ID tutorial somehere?? thanks!

Patricia_S
12-11-09, 17:41
So... i tried all 8 lever_switch provided in a pack at Trsearch.
None of them does reset.
I compared the lever animations with those of the jump switch that resets and they are exactly the same (state Ids, next anim, anim commands).

So i have no idea why the damn Lever does not reset :hea:

Tomb_Builder
12-11-09, 18:15
So... i tried all 8 lever_switch provided in a pack at Trsearch.
None of them does reset.
I compared the lever animations with those of the jump switch that resets and they are exactly the same (state Ids, next anim, anim commands).

So i have no idea why the damn Lever does not reset :hea:

It's probably due to the state ID's the game engine sends out when Lara uses that particular type of switch.

Patricia_S
12-11-09, 19:16
thanks Tomb_Builder
So i guess there is nothing to do except maybe get some TRNG update :D