PDA

View Full Version : Read any good books lately?

Agent Dee
03-04-07, 19:33
I am just finishing Stephen King's CELL where a strange signal turns EVERYBODY on the planet who was using a cell phone at the time into crazy mindless zombie like people :yah:

Cord_Croft
03-04-07, 19:35
Ooooh I've got that book upstairs in my room somewhere, is it any good?
I read 'If you could see me now' By Ceila Rees (SP?) And I absolutley LOVED it! Her step son's imaginary friend falls in love with her.. and it's just great :D

TombRaiderLover
03-04-07, 19:37
What a coincidence. I'm also reading 'Cell.'

I have a shelf full of Stephen King books (Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining, IT, The Stand, Cujo, Different Seasons, Dreamcatcher, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Pet Sematary, I could go on.)

I'm also reading Philosopher's Stone and Great Expectations, and just finished Half-Blood Prince for the second time.

xcrushterx
03-04-07, 19:37
Harry Potter and the half blood prince. Not lately, but that's the only recent title I remember XD

Jacob x5
03-04-07, 19:41
I'm currently reading 'The World According To Clarkson'. :D

Forwen
03-04-07, 19:58
400 pages fat Knowledge of Society course book, currently on legislative initiative and legislative bills in British political system. I'll be damned if I learn all this before May.

only Croft
03-04-07, 20:00
I just finished 'Conspiracy' by Dan Brown. Also read 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels and Devils' (don't know if it is the actual name of the book in English)

Next-up I'm gonna read 'Codex 632' by a Portuguese author

Peachy
03-04-07, 20:01
Harry Potter and the half blood prince. Not lately, but that's the only recent title I remember XD

Oh, I'm reading that at the moment.

Kamrusepas
03-04-07, 20:03
I am just finishing Stephen King's CELL where a strange signal turns EVERYBODY on the planet who was using a cell phone at the time into crazy mindless zombie like people :yah:

Thanks for saving me the trouble of reading it myself :rolleyes:

I'm reading a small pocket book on Greek mythology. It actually started some interesting conversations with the tattoo artist today.

george_croft
03-04-07, 20:30
Just started to read a book written by a Danish author called "Anne Holt"
It's called "What belongs to me", so far, I love it and it feels like its going straight to my top ten along with books like "Middle Sex" and the "Da vinci Code" :wve:

jarhead
03-04-07, 20:36
I'n not reading anything. Just read Small history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson, whcih was great. Might read the Bourne books next

Paperdoll
03-04-07, 20:36
Still reading Anne Rice's Blood and Gold and still dying of boredom.

Aurimas
03-04-07, 20:38

Izzie404
03-04-07, 20:40
I am currently reading A Separate Peace again for school. It's actually, despite everyone in my school's opinion, a great book. ;)
I also read, lately, the two greatest books in the world. Eragon, which some may recognize because it came out in movie form this past December, and Eldest, the sequel to Eragon. It is about, if you haven't read or seen it, a boy named Eragon who finds a dragon egg. Eldest especially has really affected me. I made some changes in my life because of that book. It's very deep. :)
:pi:

Natey168
03-04-07, 20:40
Right now I'm reading Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz. It's a pretty good book. Anthony Horowitz is one of my favorite authors. :D He wrote the Alex Rider series (First book=Stormbreaker), I've read about 4 of those.

Ampersand
03-04-07, 21:17
The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams. Man was a genius, such a shame he died.

AmericanAssassin
03-04-07, 21:18
I haven't read anything lately, by I'm considering re-reading the Order of the Phoenix. ;)

xMiSsCrOfTx
03-04-07, 21:20
Notes From My Travels by Angelina Jolie. I'm still reading it, but I love it. It's 1,000 x better than I thought it would be.

Hyper_Crazy
03-04-07, 21:20
Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare, my whole English class has got to read it, again, we've read it many times.

Ada the Mental
03-04-07, 23:37
The last one I read was Stoker's Dracula.Loved it.
Currently I'm supposed to be reading Gilbert Sinoue's Akhenaton:Le dieu Maudit (not in French of course...).I can't say I love it.There's something about his writting that really annoys me...Maybe the fact that he blatantly addresses the readers through the characters dialogues,making them highky unrealistic....

jeremyANDROGYNY
03-04-07, 23:58
My class has started reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee for my Cp English class. I think it's boring but I haven't read much so I'll have to keep reading. I highly advise reading House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer.

jjbennett
04-04-07, 09:24
Notes from a Small Island - Bill Bryson

Brilliant book about Bill Brysons travels in 1994 england, its flippin hilarious!

J.

star girl
04-04-07, 09:37
I finished "Deception Point" by Dan Brown a few days ago... Damn, it's a good book! :tmb:

disneyprincess20
04-04-07, 09:42
The Tale of Murasaki by Liza Dalby is a very good book about ancient Japan. I also re-read Notes on a Scandal and forgot how creepy it is. Both recommended!

Kamrusepas
04-04-07, 09:47
Still reading Anne Rice's Blood and Gold and still dying of boredom.

Really? It's not good? Someone at my favorite online auction site is selling a lot of her books in English and I've been thinking of buying them. The book about Armand interests me greatly. And 'Memnoch The Devil'.

Catlantean
04-04-07, 10:15
"Blood and Gold" is not good. Trust me. I'm a Marius fan, and still I found most of that book boring to death. "The Vampire Armand" was better, though (maybe only because I think he's the most interesting of the Rice vampires) - but IMO, after "The Queen of the Damned" her books really started to deteriorate. Of course, I still keep reading them anyway :p

I'm reading "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman, currently at book two ("The Subtle Knife"). And I highly recommend it :tmb: It's at the same time fantasy and science, somewhat steampunk (the first book, at least), and won't let you put it down. And even though it's marketed as a kids' book, it's a lot more complex and interesting than that.

Ada the Mental
04-04-07, 10:25
I'm reading "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman, currently at book two ("The Subtle Knife"). And I highly recommend it :tmb: It's at the same time fantasy and science, somewhat steampunk (the first book, at least), and won't let you put it down. And even though it's marketed as a kids' book, it's a lot more complex and interesting than that.
Amazing trilogy,indeed.I'm not too fond of the first one but I love the other two.
I should probably reread it one of these days.

I also read, lately, the two greatest books in the world. Eragon, which some may recognize because it came out in movie form this past December, and Eldest, the sequel to Eragon. It is about, if you haven't read or seen it, a boy named Eragon who finds a dragon egg. Eldest especially has really affected me. I made some changes in my life because of that book. It's very deep.
:yik: :eek: Do you seriously believe that these are the two greatest books?O.o

Kamrusepas
04-04-07, 10:26
"Blood and Gold" is not good. Trust me. I'm a Marius fan, and still I found most of that book boring to death. "The Vampire Armand" was better, though (maybe only because I think he's the most interesting of the Rice vampires) - but IMO, after "The Queen of the Damned" her books really started to deteriorate. Of course, I still keep reading them anyway :p

I've only read the trilogy so far [that's all our library has], and The Vampire Lestat was the only book I loved. It's a masterpiece.

Paperdoll
04-04-07, 10:45

God I loathed Queen of The Damned X_X The first bit up until the concert was mildy interesting but the rest... oi more action, less talking!!! Whiny vampires X_X and don't get me started on Merrick... ugh. I started Blood and Gold because of Pandora, which is probably, from Anne Rice's work, my truly favourite and one of my favourite books ever and damn am I disapointed... but like you, I have to keep reading them XD

Another Lara
04-04-07, 15:55
I'm currently reading Malcolm Gaskill's "Witchfinders", which is about the witch hunters Matthew Hopkins and John Stearne in Essex during the Civil War in England.

It's both laughable and scary at how easy it was for a woman to be accused of witchcraft and murdered because of nasty rumours!:(

bett
04-04-07, 16:10
I'm currently reading 'Scar Tissue' by Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers :)

star girl
04-04-07, 16:15
I'm currently reading 'Scar Tissue' by Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers :)

:yik:

Wasn't it a song?! "Scar Tissue" ??? :eek: Since when did that become a book?! :confused:

bett
04-04-07, 16:17
:yik:

Wasn't it a song?! "Scar Tissue" ??? :eek: Since when did that become a book?! :confused:

it's both. the song was released in 1999 and the book was published in 2004.

star girl
04-04-07, 16:43
Ohhh.... right :)

Izzie404
04-04-07, 19:46
:yik: :eek: Do you seriously believe that these are the two greatest books?O.o

Of course, they are soo great. I'm just itchin' for the next one ;)

*Rayne_Sixx*
05-04-07, 01:33
The last one I got is 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade, I've had it for months but haven't been able to finish it.

Natey168
05-04-07, 02:01

How are the books in The Vampire Chronicles series? I've really been wanting to read them since I saw "Queen of the Damned".

EDIT: How many of them have to do with Lestat?

whisperingdevil
05-04-07, 03:50
I'm reading "The Teahouse Fire" by Ellis Avery. It takes place in the 1860's in Japan. It's about tea ceremonies and an American girl who travels there with her uncle only to find out her mom died and her uncle is a *****. She runs away when her house catches on fire and a Japanese family decides to adopt her. She lies about where she's from, instead of saying America, she says she's from this one city in Japan. The only white people the Japanese had seen at that point were Irish ones (I have no idea if that's based on real life history or not), so they believed she was Japanese and thought she was deformed instead of white.

Paperdoll
05-04-07, 18:08
How are the books in The Vampire Chronicles series? I've really been wanting to read them since I saw "Queen of the Damned".

EDIT: How many of them have to do with Lestat?
That made me giggle... a little... ok alot :D If you want to read them because of the movie Queen Of The Damned then damn, you're on your way to a big disapointment. It has absolutely nothing to do with the book, other than the title, a few character names and the fact that Lestat has a rock band.

petujaymz
05-04-07, 18:15
I can't read babes.

:wve:

Jake Croft
05-04-07, 18:28
I keep meaning to read half blooded prince before the new book comes out but cant quite bring myself to read it...

Hurrah4Lara
05-04-07, 19:49
Yeah, bookthread!:jmp:

I'm currently reading Malcolm Gaskill's "Witchfinders", which is about the witch hunters Matthew Hopkins and John Stearne in Essex during the Civil War in England.

It's both laughable and scary at how easy it was for a woman to be accused of witchcraft and murdered because of nasty rumours!:(Woah, that sounds really interesting:eek:. Our Library here is really good & I'm gonna see if they have it or can get it for me.

Well, I'm just reading Den skrattande polisen (The Laughing Policeman) by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö. It's a classique detective novel from the sixties.

H4L:wve: [Jessika]

Natey168
05-04-07, 20:05
That made me giggle... a little... ok alot :D If you want to read them because of the movie Queen Of The Damned then damn, you're on your way to a big disapointment. It has absolutely nothing to do with the book, other than the title, a few character names and the fact that Lestat has a rock band.
Stop being so mean. :( :p

Well...I like vampires, too.

And..um..I'm just gonna try 'em out. :p

Chaosreaper
05-04-07, 20:22
Resurrectionist by James McGee. Fantastic book.

Hurrah4Lara
07-04-07, 23:53
Chess Combination As A Fine Art - Keres

I translate - I hope it's OK!

H4L:wve:

*Rayne_Sixx*
08-04-07, 00:01
Diario de una ninfómana by Valérie Tasso, quite interesting.