PDA

View Full Version : Athens, AL issues new junk car ordinance

Fish.
04-04-07, 19:38
WAAYtv.com:
Junk cars littering yards will soon be a thing of the past in Athens. Effective Monday, if police find a junk car in your yard, you'll get a ticket.

Police started enforcing the new junk vehicle ordinance Monday. They say time is up to take care of those junky cars sitting in your yard. Athens police are patrolling the entire city looking for junk cars. If they find one, the owner will be handed a citation and will go to court.

WAAY 31 cameras patrolled the area with Athens Police officers Paul ****** and Cortny *********. The two have already written several citations. They're looking for cars without a current tag and ones that cannot run. Our cameras found one car on (street name erased) Circle whose last current tag expired in 2004.

Officers say the response has been positive. Since the announcement last week, they say several cars have already been moved. Violators could face fines between 100 to 500 dollars and up to 6 months in jail.
(One street name erased and 2 last names erased.)

Lara Croft!
05-04-07, 13:39
Athens-Greece????:confused:

ace_85
05-04-07, 14:01
Athens, in the US state of Georgia I believe ;)

Greenkey2
05-04-07, 15:38
I wish they'd bring in this rule in the UK.

Lara's Boy
05-04-07, 15:45
the title says Athens, AL so I'd assume Alabama...I think just about every state has a city named Athens, lol.

At any rate, this is a good and bad thing for me, kinda...I mean, it sure does get rid of some pretty nasty looking areas, but...if it is on the home owners property, can the city really determine something like that? Also, what if the home owner doesn't have the means to move the car (presumably the reason why it's there in the first place)? Now they have to deal with a ticket AND having to move the car to prevent more tickets!

Oh well, time will tell on how successful this initiative is.

ace_85
05-04-07, 15:49
the title says Athens, AL so I'd assume Alabama...I think just about every state has a city named Athens, lol.

Right you are. I saw Athens, AL and for some reason immediately thought of Athens and Atlanta, which are in Georgia. My mistake :o

Lara Croft!
05-04-07, 23:50
Athens, in the US state of Georgia I believe ;)

There's a city named Athens in the States?