PDA

View Full Version : Movies to ponder

Legend of Lara
05-04-07, 18:43
Some movies end and you got the whole thing. Know what happened, why it happened and how it happened. But some movies you have to ponder. What was that? What did it mean? List movies that make you ponder and how.

The Matrix- What is reality?
2001: A Space Odyssey- What if it had happened 2001? What really happened to that guy at the end?
A Clockwork Orange- What if this "aversion therapy" becomes reality?
The Da Vinci Code- Who was Jesus? Was there Jesus or is it blasphemy? Who is the Mona Lisa?

Jacob x5
05-04-07, 18:53
11:14 does that in a way. It gives you all the information you need to work everything out, but it's up to you to piece it all together at the end.

TombRaiderLover
05-04-07, 19:07
Chris - You've seen A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Paperdoll
05-04-07, 19:13
A Tale Of Two Sisters. I'd elaborate on it but then I'd give away the plot and that'd be a crime to those who haven't watched it :D

Also Suicide Circle, it really makes you think due to the whole "If the word spreads out about a Suicide Club, youngsters all over Japan will kill themselves" line. The whole criticism is very thought provoking.

ace_85
05-04-07, 19:18
Memento is another film like that. It pretty much makes sense at the end, but it requires a fair bit of concentration to follow the plotline throughout the film

only Croft
05-04-07, 19:48
The Da Vinci Code- Who was Jesus? Was there Jesus or is it blasphemy? Who is the Mona Lisa?

I already read that the Mona Lisa or Gioconda (the name derives from the Italian junction of fun/teasing and Condess) is a Toscan Lady of the Royalty, can't remember the name, and she was pregnant. Sounds fake but it was on a very popular and accurate portuguese magazine.

Also The DaVinci Code for what Legend of Lara has already said
The Lake House: What can be possible???

Chaosreaper
05-04-07, 20:23
V for Vendetta *nods*

Assassino
05-04-07, 20:27
See No Evil Cause Kane's in it man! \m/
And it's a good film too!:D

tr_mitch
05-04-07, 20:29
Silent Hill

Kamrusepas
05-04-07, 20:51
See No Evil Cause Kane's in it man! \m/
And it's a good film too!:D

It's fairly entertaining [only because of Kane], but there's not much to ponder on there, imo.

Legend of Lara
05-04-07, 21:01
Chris - You've seen A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Just recently, yes. :)

God, 2001 is going to haunt me forever. :eek:

Greenkey2
05-04-07, 21:04
The Shawshank Redemption - one of the most thought-provoking films I've ever seen :tmb:

The first time I watched The Matrix I felt all peculiar and unsettled for a whole week afterwards - kept expecting to see sinister men in sunglasses and black leather coats lurking everywhere :pi:

Real Life Lara
05-04-07, 21:17
A Tale Of Two Sisters. I'd elaborate on it but then I'd give away the plot and that'd be a crime to those who haven't watched it :D

Garrr, I love that movie to bits, but I still dont quite understand it :p

I know theres tons of movies that have got me thinking in the past but other thant ^^ I cant actually remember any of them at the moment. Im too tired :whi:

Paperdoll
05-04-07, 21:19
Yeah it's hard to get a bit into it at first but once you get the whole picture, everything just fits so perfectly... it's just amazing and heartbreaking.

Kamrusepas
05-04-07, 21:28
The Shawshank Redemption - one of the most thought-provoking films I've ever seen :tmb:

Still haven't seen it. But the book was excellent :tmb:

tampi
05-04-07, 21:43
A summer, in the village cinema, appeared the advertising poster of “2001: A Space Odyssey”.
All the children of the village and villages of the environs we were fascinated of that film that was released Saturday in the evening.
A film of the space. Galactic battles, laser, spaceships, hypervelocity.
In short, everything what it was possible to be hoped of a film of the space.
All the children seated in the cinema with great joy and nervous by that fantastic one adventure.
The film began, ..... monkeys, ..... lights of colors with waltz of “the blue Danube”, ..... half an hour of film and still nobody had spoken, ....., LOOOOOOOL, well, yes that spoke somebody.
All the children of the cinema we shouted and whistle like CRAZY people LOOOOOOOL :D .500 mad children. :cln: All we shouted, “this is a hair seizure”, “that the money gives back to us”, “Is a thymus” and whatever that you could be imagined. I do not know if somebody remained in the cinema to the end.

LOOOOOL :vlol: :vlol:

(sorry)

but is a very great film :D ;)

Hurrah4Lara
05-04-07, 21:59
The Bridge On The River Kwai

H4L:wve:

Mr.Burns
05-04-07, 22:12
Citizen Kane. Wonderful film and a classic storyline. A fascinating story of a man who can never fill that void in his life.

bloodstormaoa
05-04-07, 22:15

I know what you mean.:) Brilliant movie

Tyrannosaurus
05-04-07, 22:21
Some movies end and you got the whole thing. Know what happened, why it happened and how it happened. But some movies you have to ponder. What was that? What did it mean? List movies that make you ponder and how.

The Matrix- What is reality?
2001: A Space Odyssey- What if it had happened 2001? What really happened to that guy at the end?
A Clockwork Orange- What if this "aversion therapy" becomes reality?
The Da Vinci Code- Who was Jesus? Was there Jesus or is it blasphemy? Who is the Mona Lisa?Some of those titles do indeed make you think, but some are just pretentious brain candy.

The Matrix- What is reality? Who knows, but what better way to ponder it than through an endless series of ridiculous action scenes where we get to put on our shades, wear black trench coats, and kick some ass.

The Da Vinci Code- Who was Jesus? Why, he was the husband of Mary Magdeline, of course! Let's nix Occam's Razor and masquerade claims that are 100% speculation as fact! Who cares that most historians, religious or not, think this is total nonsense? We want a spy thriller built around an improbable conspiracy theory!

Now here's a list of movies that did make me think, and challenged me a great deal:

The Seventh Seal- About the meaning of life and death and the manner in which religion sustains it--for better, or worse? Very surreal, disturbing and thought-provoking.

Crimes and Misdemeanors- Who is right in the end, Cliff or Judah? How do we make sense of unpunished evil in the world? And what role, consequentially, does divine justice play in our lives?

Memento- As Leonard observes, "How can I heal if I can't remember?" And likewise, I fully understand his desperate musing about how he must believe, using his cocoon of impeccable logic, that his actions still have meaning.

One Hour Photo- Proof that you can make a thriller where no one dies, and where the bad guy really isn't bad, just disturbed and tragically lost.

Monster- Does a society that would allow someone like Aileen Wournos to exist, in the end, deserve what it gets? Did she deserve to be executed?

Dead Man Walking- For anyone who pro-captial punishment.

The Last Temptaion of Christ- Far superior to The Da Vinci Code in every way, at least as far as raising questions about the nature of Jesus.

Taxi Driver- We've all felt like Travis at some point. What really seperates us from him?

Deliverance- When you commit violence, even violence that is justifiable, there is no end. At least, not in your mind.

Pan's Labyrinth- How optimistic do you want to be about the film's ending? Is it happy, bleak and horrifying, or something in between? And consequentially, how did Ofelia's beliefs in the fairy world, whether or not they are true, effect her actions and the ultimate outcome of the story?

Conan the Barbarian- Is a man made or born? Is Thulsa Doom right when he makes the argument that he gave Conan's life meaning and power? How vital is dire adversity to the development of strength and character?

Dawn of the Dead (1978)- Is humanity it's own worst enemy? Does our slavish devotion to materialism make us no better than zombies?

Groundhog Day- The existential dilemma in a nutshell, and in the hands of a different writer or director, it could have been much darker. Still, it is never preachy nor does it hit you over the head with it's meaning. A truly brilliant movie.

Princess Mononoke- Can two people both be right and be on opposite sides? This movie reveals how utterly bankrupt most American animated films are. If this were a Disney movie, Lady Eboshi would clearly be a villian, and there would be irony, histrionics, obnoxious sidekicks, and saccharine songs around every corner. This refreshing gem shows you how far you can go in an animated epic by taking the story seriously and populating it's world with intelligent characters.

Quills- How responsible is an artist for the ramifications of his work?

The Terminator- Considering the story must exist in the continuous loop (forget T2 and T3), is Kyle correct when he recites that message from John Connor, that the future isn't written yet and there is no fate other than what we make for ourselves?

The Truman Show- Is this movie an extended metaphor for religion? Our grasps of reality?

Starship Troopers- A brilliant political satire. I'm surprised how many people don't realize that this entire movie is meant ironically.

-DEBUG
05-04-07, 22:40
Spoilers I guess

Saw - What really happened to Dr Gordon?
Saw II - Was that Dr Gordon, the surgeon, in the cloak on the Video at the start?
Saw III - How can it continue now!? What was in Amanda's Letter? what was on the tape Jigsaw poured wax onto?

seth777
05-04-07, 22:40
Tyranossaurus great thoughts, got to see some of those movies that I missed...

Well I would say Stay, Mulholland Drive, EXistenZ, and has most of you pointed the wonderfull Memento

Lara Croft!
05-04-07, 23:54
Pan's Labyrinth- How optimistic do you want to be about the film's ending? Is it happy, bleak and horrifying, or something in between? And consequentially, how did Ofelia's beliefs in the fairy world, whether or not they are true, effect her actions and the ultimate outcome of the story?

I agree!!!

Moreover:

The Matrix
The others
Vanilla Sky

First that came to my mind!

TombRaiderLover
06-04-07, 10:50
Just recently, yes. :)

God, 2001 is going to haunt me forever. :eek:

Whoo-whoo!

What did you think of them? I have A Clockwork Orange on DVD.

Ada the Mental
06-04-07, 11:02
Fight Club
Pan's Labyrinth
The Matrix (at least the first one)
Equilibrium
V for Vendetta
The Last Horror Movie
Quills- How responsible is an artist for the ramifications of his work?
Certainly that.

and others I can't really think of right now...

I'm curious if anyone's going to say 1984.I haven't seen the movie but the book left me quite shaken.

Genocide
06-04-07, 13:43
Aliens-which species is actually worse, us or them?

Angelus
06-04-07, 14:07
Fight Club.

Thorir
06-04-07, 14:08

Also Suicide Circle, it really makes you think due to the whole "If the word spreads out about a Suicide Club, youngsters all over Japan will kill themselves" line. The whole criticism is very thought provoking.

Good choices. Among my favourite films! :)

Also, Ingmar Bergman“s films are fantastic.
Especially great are Persona, Cries and Whispers, Autumn Sonata and Through a Glass Darkly.

jeremyANDROGYNY
06-04-07, 14:11
Silent Hill
Silent Hill - There is much to ponder on but mainly the ending

frostfur452
06-04-07, 14:48
Silent Hill - There is much to ponder on but mainly the ending

yeh that one puzzled me for a bit

Sofitegan
06-04-07, 14:49
Donnie darko. and the truman show.

Hybrid Soldier
06-04-07, 16:22
The Shawshank Redemption

I completely agree. I watched that movie last year in English class. :)

Tyrannosaurus
11-04-07, 20:53
I'm curious if anyone's going to say 1984.I haven't seen the movie but the book left me quite shaken.Another good one. The movie was extremely well-made, but it depressed the hell out of me and I have no desire to see it again.