PDA

View Full Version : I think i'm nocturnal...

Joe_16
05-04-07, 23:32
I'm at university and have come back for the easter holidays, and it appears that I am just continuing the routine I have got used to at university (not going to sleep until at least 3 in the morning). Thing is, it seems to be getting worse. I'm lucky if I drift off anytime before 4am now. Then I end up getting up around 2 in the afternoon. I mean, I don't feel tired at all now. I'm just sitting in bed on the laptop reading forums and considering getting something to eat. Seriously, I cannot remember the last time I went bed at a reasonable hour. It's quite ridiculous really. I need to get back into some sort of routine...

Any other nocturnal's out there? Anyone who lives in a different country where it's not gone half past midnight? I'm in the UK. Anyone want to entertain me?

JANKERSON
05-04-07, 23:35
Signs of Stress and Depression IMO.

Might be a good time to speak with a Doctor before it get any worse.

AnthonyShock1515
05-04-07, 23:35
It always happens to me in the holidays, it's even affecting me right now!:)

You need at least 3 days to get back to your normal sleeping pattern. How you do it is you gradually lower your hours. So ATM your awake at 4pm. Tonight, try getting to bed a 3, then tomorrow night 2. Just try gradually reducing it, even if it's half an hour a night (you will need longer duration for this). It's annoying because I often don't get up till 2pm the next day with a banging headache:D:p

Oh, and before I finish, it depends how it happened. Is it self-induced? Did it happen by staying up late nights voluntarily, thats how I get it. If you cannot help it then it could be a sign of depression. Sleeping too long makes you feel terrible and depressed when you wake up and often you have headache and you feel out of place.

Sara Croft
05-04-07, 23:43
I almost never sleep, but i kinda like it. Soo peaceful when im the only one awake, so i have no innterest in getting to sleep, however. IF i try, i dont manage it>.>

CerebralAssassin
05-04-07, 23:44
ey...another night owl here!!:) :D

Joe_16
05-04-07, 23:50
I almost never sleep, but i kinda like it. Soo peaceful when im the only one awake, so i have no innterest in getting to sleep, however. IF i try, i dont manage it>.>

Surely you must sleep sometimes...

Joe_16
05-04-07, 23:52
It always happens to me in the holidays, it's even affecting me right now!:)

You need at least 3 days to get back to your normal sleeping pattern. How you do it is you gradually lower your hours. So ATM your awake at 4pm. Tonight, try getting to bed a 3, then tomorrow night 2. Just try gradually reducing it, even if it's half an hour a night (you will need longer duration for this). It's annoying because I often don't get up till 2pm the next day with a banging headache:D:p

Oh, and before I finish, it depends how it happened. Is it self-induced? Did it happen by staying up late nights voluntarily, thats how I get it. If you cannot help it then it could be a sign of depression. Sleeping too long makes you feel terrible and depressed when you wake up and often you have headache and you feel out of place.

Yea it is self-induced. It's just habit now. It's because I moved away from home for the first time 2 years ago, so got quite lonely and stayed awake alot of the time.

MiCkiZ88
06-04-07, 00:03
Any other nocturnal's out there? Anyone who lives in a different country where it's not gone half past midnight? I'm in the UK. Anyone want to entertain me?

well.. it is 3:03 am here :wve:

It's usually because I don't have school or I'm on vacation when my day rythm screws up. Even if I try to get sleep I dont get it. Stress and crap like that.. And I've been to at those meetings where I am supposed to talk about my stress and stuff.. doesn't really help, since they don't ask the right questions.

Joe_16
06-04-07, 00:06
well.. it is 3:03 am here :wve:

It's usually because I don't have school or I'm on vacation when my day rythm screws up. Even if I try to get sleep I dont get it. Stress and crap like that.. And I've been to at those meetings where I am supposed to talk about my stress and stuff.. doesn't really help, since they don't ask the right questions.

Do you often go nights without sleeping at all then? I tend to do that quite alot...

Jacob x5
06-04-07, 00:08
Signs of Stress and Depression IMO.

Might be a good time to speak with a Doctor before it get any worse.

Bollocks. This happens to me in the holidays and I'm not stressed or depressed. Some people like to stay up late and gradually their body clock shifts.

AnthonyShock1515
I hate fortnight holidays most for it.

At Xmas it got so extreme I would stay up all night on TRF go running at 8am until 11pm (I was full of energy), come in and go to sleep at 1pm and wake up a 7pm

It totally screwed me over and took my 5 days to break out of it. And trust me, when it gets like that it shows! I looked drained.

Oh, and since it was winter; I didn't catch barely any light and started to get really depressed and blue, it's like SAD disorder. Your exposure to sunlight affects your brain activity and can depresses you.

MiCkiZ88
@Joe_16: Not really. I catch some sleep usually at 3 or 4 am.. how ever it's gone worse now. Last night it was 5 am.. the night before that it was 6 am and I can sleep till 2 or 4 pm =/

Joe_16
06-04-07, 00:13
I suppose being a student means I can get away with sleeping until the afternoon...

AnthonyShock1515
06-04-07, 00:14
I suppose being a student means I can get away with sleeping until the afternoon...

I guess but it will grip you and make you feel really depressed. And that could affect your work rate.;)

Hyper_Crazy
06-04-07, 00:16
Well its 1:14 AM here, I probably won't go to sleep to about...well I probably won't today/tonight.

You need to get back into a routine.

tr_mitch
I wouldn't say I'm nocturnal but my sleeping patters are definitely different from your normal. I'll occasionally stay up till 3am, and then sleep till 7, get back from college and sleep in the afternoon from 4 till 6 sometimes till 8.

MiCkiZ88
I guess but it will grip you and make you feel really depressed. And that could affect your work rate.;)

too true.. speaking of experience here :wve:

You should try to get your daily rythm back together. Try getting bed one hour earlier each night. Or even when you're starting to feel tired. Be it 8 pm or 10 pm when you don't want to get sleep.

Eddie Haskell
06-04-07, 00:29
Join the military. That will put an instant end to your "late nights". ;)

MiCkiZ88
06-04-07, 00:31
Join the military. That will put an instant end to your "late nights". ;)

that too is an option.. which I have to take next january. Ah well.. can't hurt that much.

Joe_16
06-04-07, 00:39
A student in the army would be very interesting indeed...

MiCkiZ88
06-04-07, 00:42
:vlol: well it's mandatory up here. And I'm still a student then.. Don't know how the army is there? If it's not mandatory then I suggest not to join if you don't want to :p

AnthonyShock1515
06-04-07, 00:43
lol^:vlol:

I only wish I could have a reverse effct, going to bed early and waking up really early. :)

That happened after my trip to Prague, and the time was only about +2 hours!:rolleyes:

Joe_16
06-04-07, 00:49
:vlol: well it's mandatory up here. And I'm still a student then.. Don't know how the army is there? If it's not mandatory then I suggest not to join if you don't want to :p

You mean you have to?

If so, no we don't...

MiCkiZ88
06-04-07, 00:52
Yep that's what I mean.

Hmm.. Have you tried drinking warm cocoa? That works miracles sometimes and makes you really sleepy. Though this week has been full moon. That makes me stay up late and I can't get sleep because of it..

Fish.
06-04-07, 00:57
So am i! :yik: Creepy! I'm about the same, except I wake up about 11am-1pm. Weird.... O_o

Joe_16
06-04-07, 00:59
Warm cocoa....nice idea. Reading always makes me kinda tired...

There's always a drop of liquor!

MiCkiZ88
06-04-07, 01:01
Warm cocoa, a good book (boring ones make your head ache from all the thinking) or maybe even a comic book can make you sleepy. Or a midnight walk at the park or around the block. Well Don't know about UK though..

Joe_16
06-04-07, 01:08
Yea, good suggestions. Might get some course material out, that always seems to send me asleep in lectures.

I wouldn't go for a walk this time of the night where I am...you can find some very dodgey people about at this time of night..

Ada the Mental
06-04-07, 10:42
I guess I'm a vampire too.
I can't help sleeping at crazy hourse during the holidays.
I go to sleep at around 3-4 AM,sleep till midday (or later) and get up feeling like my head is going to explode.

Yesterday I was online till 3.30 and then instead of going to sleep I started drawing till 4.40.And of course today I woke up at 12.45.

And it's not because I'm staying tioll late online.If I'm not on the internet I'll be reading,or watching a dvd...It's just irresistable staying awake when everyone else is sleeping (AKA no one to annoy me!)!

Kamrusepas
06-04-07, 11:13
Any other nocturnal's out there?

I've always been more of a night person than day. That's why I got a nighttime job; I get to stay up all night and sleep all day. And drink blood.

No wait, scratch the last one.

Ada the Mental
06-04-07, 11:14
And drink blood.

Nothing to be ashamed of,dear...Muahahahaha!:mis:

Joe_16
06-04-07, 12:45
I have only just rose from the depths of darkness...

My day starts here...

Sofitegan
06-04-07, 14:27
i always get into a similar pattern during school holidays! the only thing i find works is forcing myself to get up early.

frostfur452
06-04-07, 14:36
im usually up till 4 or somthing .. then go to bed n wake up again around 7:30 - 8 but then i drift off to sleep at various parts of the day.. i hate it cuz i never feel tired at night when i want to feel tired.

Another Lara
06-04-07, 16:28
Since not being at uni (last May) I haven't had a decent sleep! At least when I was at uni I was up every morning at 8 (I had at least a two hour journey to get there!) and so I could get a decent nights sleep'; now I find myself staying awake til about 5am and not waking up til lunch time!

I try to be strict with myself andput my alarm on so I wake up at 9 every morning, but then I fall back to sleep again and don't wake up till 12!:o

Legend of Lara
06-04-07, 16:33
I stayed up until like, 4 last night. Going to bed early is something I NEVER do during the holidays or the weekends. And then I sleep until noon. :p

Genocide
06-04-07, 16:38
I have trouble sleeping due to my work routine
on week A i work 2 till 10pm, and week B I do 2pm till 2am, then I browse the forums for a couple of hours before sleeping so it messes with my sleep patterns
The good thing is i get to come on the forums alott because I do nothing at work (Im a machine operator)

CuteKittenlol
06-04-07, 16:42
Meh, I go to bed at a reasonable time, I just can't get to sleep. It was well past 4AM by the time I got to sleep last night. It happens every night, I very rarely get to sleep before 2AM. >_<

Mytly
06-04-07, 19:27
Wow, so many nocturnals here!
I can't remember the last time I slept at a "reasonable" hour ... I usually go to bed anytime between 3 to 6 am - even on weeknights, when I have to get up at 9 am the next day and go to work! I usually make up for it on the weekends when I sleep for 12 or more hours a day. :D

Paperdoll
06-04-07, 19:47
I've always been more of a night person than day. That's why I got a nighttime job; I get to stay up all night and sleep all day. And drink blood.

No wait, scratch the last one.

Because you never drink... vine :D

Sorry, having a weird Dracula moment there XD

I used to be quite the night person (going to bed at 5 am) but nowadays, since I have to get up at 5:30 am, I go to bed pretty early :D

Lew
06-04-07, 19:51
I have to watch TV before I sleep on some nights, either i'm scared or i'm just not tired, Its annoying because if my parents come in they shout at me, but its a holiday URGH! I end up leaving my TV on and drifting of to sleep at 3am and waking up at 11. And I have no credit until a months past since my last top up URGH!

tampi
06-04-07, 20:32
I think that many of us are a little owls http://i12.************/40p4ca1.jpg ;)

Ada the Mental
07-04-07, 13:00
Hay nocturnals and vampires!
What time did you return to your nests/coffins last night?
5.30 for me!

rika2
07-04-07, 13:05
I go to my cosy bed at 21:30... :) NOT

8accent8
08-04-07, 15:26
thats very weird, im in the u.s. and the same thing happened to me. sometimes i couldnt sleep till 4, but i decided to stay up all night today. instead of forcing a resolution, ive gone with the flow. i get tired of following society's scedule anyway. my plan was to sleep at 6pm then awake in the early morning...around 6am. that is when the sun rises. its nice to look at. funny how the same thing happened at around the same time? and yet ive stumbled onto this thread.