PDA

View Full Version : Too big spec for a custom trle game?

teme9
07-04-07, 14:00
Well I've doing some testing with two computers to calculate specs for my trle game. So is it too much if one the other computer with these specs:
2.2 GHz processor
512 Mb Ram
256 Mb graphicscard

Is lagging even with the resolution of 800x600 :D? Is it too much?

Zig
07-04-07, 14:15
Hello teme9,

I have a 128 Mb XFX Geforce 6800 XT,
1024 Mb ram
Pentium IV 3.04 Gig

and all games run really easy on it, except 'Oblivion', which, sometimes goes really slow: less than 10 FPS with many enemies and lots of mods,etc.Considering a comparison between Oblivion and TRLE overall quality, I'd say only that I'd be very surprised seeing a 'trle' game running slowly on my computer.
But it seems most people these days have really fast computers.

Just to illustrate. :wve:

PS.: It wouldn't bother me much if the lag is not that great.

teme9
07-04-07, 14:32
My other computer (better one) Is about the same as yours.. (bit
lags...) Oblivion runs quite smootly on it :D except those mass of enemies...

UnderwaterRaider
07-04-07, 14:58
I didn't plan on releasing this, but since it's been brought up, Mexican Myths has been tested (so far) on a Pentium IV (duo-core) with 1024MB RAM and 3.0GHz processor and a 128MB Graphics Card (ATi Radeon 9600), and sadly it still lags horribly. This however could be fixed with a new NGLE exe.:)

Zig
07-04-07, 14:59
I remember only one game(trle) with which I had a bad time: Pirates of the Caribbean by 'The Cowboy' if I'm not mistaken and it didn't matter much to me, since I was liking to play it, but that was with my older computer, similar to this one but with a much inferior video card.
Just a suggestion, if you don't mind, of course:if the 'lag' is really unavoidable, try to compensate the player with the other aspects too, not only the graphics.But I've seen some of your screens around, jungle like I think and they were very promising.

nowid50
07-04-07, 16:36
Well I've doing some testing with two computers to calculate specs for my trle game. So is it too much if one the other computer with these specs:
2.2 GHz processor
512 Mb Ram
256 Mb graphicscard

Is lagging even with the resolution of 800x600 :D? Is it too much?It's depending on a lot of factor, a few example : the dfficult of the scene (Number of polygons), memory needed, Hard Drive very slow, etc ;)

scoopy_loopy
07-04-07, 23:26
When tr.exe is running, try hitting ctrl+alt+delete. Then go into the processes tab, select tr4.exe, right click and press 'set affinity.' Make sure only cpu0 is selected.

However, this will only fix it with computers running more than 1 cpu.

aktrekker
08-04-07, 05:56
You can look at the task manager to see what is using alot of time. Just shut it down then restart the game. You could also increase the priority of the game so it gets more time.
If the game itself is using all the time, you might want to download new drivers for your sound card and video card, as there might be a problem.

teme9
09-04-07, 08:29
It helped only a bit. Thanks though :) Maybe I just have to make the drawing distance shorter :( Or delete few grass and steam objects ...

Titak
09-04-07, 08:55
My specs:
1 GB RAM,
1.6 Ghz processor
64.0 MB NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X graphicscard
I installed new graphicscard drivers last year, when Legend came out.

I've never had any lagging as far as I can remember.
But I don't play many custom elvel either... so I might have missed the lagging ones.
But I did build and play levels with large outdoor areas and lots of detail, like levels in UUB3-The Plain of Jars, UUB4-Taking care of business. No problems whatsoever.
So TRLE games can run smoothly, even with lower specs. ;)

Zolee
09-04-07, 09:41
My specs:
1 GB RAM,
1.6 Ghz processor
64.0 MB NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X graphicscard
I installed new graphicscard drivers last year, when Legend came out.

I've never had any lagging as far as I can remember.
But I don't play many custom elvel either... so I might have missed the lagging ones.
But I did build and play levels with large outdoor areas and lots of detail, like levels in UUB3-The Plain of Jars, UUB4-Taking care of business. No problems whatsoever.
So TRLE games can run smoothly, even with lower specs. ;)

you have Geforce and you can install other graphic card drivers? :cln:
How? I want to do it too, because Next gen isn't running on my Pc, is it possible to mee too?:D

chrimajon
09-04-07, 10:59
I think Titia means she installed new Nvidia drivers for her card..you can't use drivers for makes of card other than the one you have! :)

Zolee
09-04-07, 11:08
I see:) and is there any tunning Nvidia programs?:p :)

chrimajon
09-04-07, 11:10
Have a look at this..

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

Zig
09-04-07, 13:31
There is this tweaking guide too, if you read through it, you'll find several links.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html

Zolee
09-04-07, 14:08
thanks!

chrimajon
09-04-07, 15:28
Thanks from me as well Zig,for that tweakguide..contains some pretty interesting and useful info..:)

Zig
09-04-07, 15:33
Thanks from me as well Zig,for that tweakguide..contains some pretty interesting and useful info..:)

Thanks to you as well, I'll have a look at the link you've put, it seems very useful too.

Titak
09-04-07, 17:36
I think Titia means she installed new Nvidia drivers for her card..you can't use drivers for makes of card other than the one you have! :)
Correct.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. :o

kill bill
09-04-07, 18:15
My specs:

Intel core duo E600
2gb ram

768mb 8800GTX upgrading to Ati radeon 2800XTX in summer

Tr Levels play the same as my intel GC