PDA

View Full Version : The FREE HUGS CAMPAIGN!!

xMyrax
08-04-07, 10:47
I'm sure most of you have watched this video by now and its simply one of the best videos on YouTube ^__^ If you havent watched it then...BLASPHEMY! =O
vr3x_RRJdd4

It makes you want to hug everyone around you and it has touched many peoples lives. It really does put a smile on your face =)

This is how it all started:

"I'd been living in London when my world turned upside down and I'd had to come home. By the time my plane landed back in Sydney, all I had left was a carry on bag full of clothes and a world of troubles. No one to welcome me back, no place to call home. I was a tourist in my hometown.

Standing there in the arrivals terminal, watching other passengers meeting their waiting friends and family, with open arms and smiling faces, hugging and laughing together, I wanted someone out there to be waiting for me. To be happy to see me. To smile at me. To hug me.

So I got some cardboard and a marker and made a sign. I found the busiest pedestrian intersection in the city and held that sign aloft, with the words "Free Hugs" on both sides.

And for 15 minutes, people just stared right through me. The first person who stopped, tapped me on the shoulder and told me how her dog had just died that morning. How that morning had been the one year anniversary of her only daughter dying in a car accident. How what she needed now, when she felt most alone in the world, was a hug. I got down on one knee, we put our arms around each other and when we parted, she was smiling.

Everyone has problems and for sure mine haven't compared. But to see someone who was once frowning, smile even for a moment, is worth it every time.
Why Did it get banned?
Public liability fear and red tape. But its all okay now! Make sure tocheck your local laws before embarking on your Hugathon!
Special Thanks
I would just like to thank Sickpuppies for their incredible song "All the Same (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?i=190969205&id=190969187&s=143441) " which the free hugs campaign video would have never been the same without."

- Juan Mann

Official website - http://www.freehugscampaign.org/

( I now want a shirt that says "Free Hugs" xD )

So everyone in the forums today...This is your official hugging thread! :hug: HUGS FOR EVERYONE! :hug: =)

MiCkiZ88
08-04-07, 10:52
:hug: That video was so emotional.. *snif*

jamieoliver22
08-04-07, 10:55
Awww, thanks :D :hug:

Ampersand
08-04-07, 11:02
This video never fails to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. :D

*glomp*

Anti.Enemy
08-04-07, 11:10
Aww :o this video made me cry :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Jacob x5
08-04-07, 11:11
It's great to think that there are people like that out there. Why the police decided to step in I'll never know. They just haven't got a clue.

Natey168
08-04-07, 11:22
:hug: Aww...Hugs for everyone!:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Alex Fly
08-04-07, 11:24
I love this campaign (and I've already seen it on TV - it was a little bit different because it was a video against AIDS - but I thought this free hugs campaign was fantastic).

If only everyone was as open-minded as this person... ^^

Hugs to you all, guys !!! :hug:

rika2
08-04-07, 11:32
there was something like this near my school... I ran away... they were hugging evryone...

kryptonite23
08-04-07, 11:44
:hug:That:hug: is:hug: one :hug:of:hug: a:hug: nice:hug: video!:hug:

star girl
08-04-07, 11:48
HUGS for EVERYONE!!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Cord_Croft
08-04-07, 13:54
I'm not quite sure other people know just how one hug makes a hugeeee difference, thanks for posting Myra =D

:hug: :hug: :hug:

viper456
08-04-07, 14:07
i love hugs :) not so much off strangers though lol

Oddchick
08-04-07, 14:16
*makeup currently making interesting tear stains down cheeks* :D that was really touching, it really got me going with the signatures. hugs! :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Hypnosos
08-04-07, 14:43
It's a great video. It almost brings tears to my eyes. Very nice.

Catapharact
08-04-07, 15:05
No thankyou. You will work for my hugs and I'll make sure you earn every damn one of them...

Free hugs... bah! Next thing you know they'll want free kisses or free smiles.

xMyrax
08-04-07, 15:41
No thankyou. You will work for my hugs and I'll make sure you earn every damn one of them...

How much do I have to work to get hug from the Cat? ;O

Free hugs... bah! Next thing you know they'll want free kisses or free smiles.

No harm with trying to spread some love! :) In the words of Waleed Tawfee2 "Il 7ob il 7a2ee2i, bi3eash ya 7abibi! Bi3alimna nsaame7!" Mkay thats enough xD

Catapharact
08-04-07, 16:09
To get a hug from me, you'll have to reveal Justin's true Identity, Make sure Thorir doesn't gets drunk again and Net wouldn stop being such a sadist. (actually... Omit the Net request; He can torture away all he wants.)

xMyrax
08-04-07, 16:12
Thats like...A lot of work but I can try the Justin thing =D

...Oh what the hell!! *rugby tackles* :hug:

tr_mitch
08-04-07, 17:19
Hugs are the best thing ever.
I'll hug at least 3 people a day, i have a lot of love to give. :D

Rickéh
08-04-07, 18:42
Hehe, I give everyone here a hug! :hug: :hug: :hug:

star girl
08-04-07, 19:10
I'll give everyone a hug at work tomorrow! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Geck-o-Lizard
08-04-07, 19:11
I wouldn't have gone near that guy... Bit creepy. I'd be worried about it being a pickpocketing scam too.

Nice sentiment though.

star girl
08-04-07, 19:21
*gives Gecko an air-hug*

You're a great mod! :)

scion05
08-04-07, 19:26
Gives gecko a hug for the sake of fresh starts, not that
it's gonna matter :p :hug:

CuteKittenlol
08-04-07, 19:29
Not all free hugs are good. :pi:

But hugs to everyone here! :D :hug:

Hybrid Soldier
08-04-07, 19:29
I wouldn't have gone near that guy... Bit creepy. I'd be worried about it being a pickpocketing scam too.

Nice sentiment though.

Are you referring to his appearence or just the thought of some random person giving hugs? :p

danitiwa
08-04-07, 19:35
:hug: T:hug: H:hug: A:hug: T:hug: W:hug: A:hug: S:hug: C:hug: U:hug: T:hug: E:hug: <3

Voni
08-04-07, 21:58
[QUOTE=xMyrax;1712768]( I now want a shirt that says "Free Hugs" xD )
QUOTE]

Same here!

Izzie404
09-04-07, 05:51
Not all free hugs are good. :pi:

What kind of free hugs are bad; do you mean the ones where people's stuff gets stolen [i.e. their wallets]?

Fish.
09-04-07, 07:44
Aww... :hug:

That was emotional... Banned? But why? All he was doing is giving hugs!!

:hug: I'm adding that to my Youtube faves!

CuteKittenlol
09-04-07, 08:30
...some random person giving hugs? :p
Yeah, that's not a very nice experience at all, take it from me. XD

Hybrid Soldier
09-04-07, 13:05
Yeah, that's not a very nice experience at all, take it from me. XD

LMFAO. That guy!

Clara [CA]
14-04-07, 20:49
It's the fourth or fifth time I see this video. And it still has the same effect on me. It was a friend who showed me first the Free Hugs Campaign. She explained it to me, and before I saw the video, I was like "ok, some people have way to much time to waste". Sad, I know. For me that idea was nonsense : why would anybody want to hug people they never knew for free ? Just for the hug ??
I think I just didn't get what it was about : loneliness and community. And most of the time I still don't get it, because when I'm about to watch it, I can never remember why it made me smile the last time. But the song is right. And so is the video. It's simple. The message is very positive. It's something I wish I see more often.

Angelus
14-04-07, 21:24
I gave a random person a hug in Town last week, and they hugged me back! :D

Betal
14-04-07, 21:30
Eww. I could never touch a person which I don't know. xD

Achilles_DS
14-04-07, 21:50
lol it's not some creepy guy randomly hugging people. HE just offers it you hug them. Heck, if someone randomly hugged me I'd be like WTF as well.

Suzan
14-04-07, 21:56
I LOVE that video. Have loved it since I saw it for the 1st time. I cried like heck and I just watched it again and this was the first time I didn't cry, lol. Yay for me.

But um yea anyway, I wish I had the guts to do that with my friends. A hug could totally cheer someone up a bit. I wish there were more people like Juan Mann:hug:

*hugs to EVERYBODY*!

star girl
14-04-07, 22:03
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

The point is that if a hug cheers you, makes you feel good and basically is like forgetting your problems for a while and try to lighten up a little, then why not?

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Catapharact
14-04-07, 22:19
See there is the flaw in that sort of thinking right there.

You wanna cheer me up? Give me possible solutions for the problem at hand; Not a hug.

Forwen
14-04-07, 22:21
You wanna cheer me up? Give me possible solutions for the problem at hand; Not a hug.

If the entire world thought in such a way we would be in 30th century already.

star girl
14-04-07, 22:25
OK, in the first post, the first person who hugs Juan Mann was a lady who said, "my dog just died today," and after the hug, "she was smiling" ... My point is that the lady's dog had died, the solution would have been buying a new dog (if she really wants to have one) but there are some marks left on the human soul, no? If, God forbid, some friend of mine died, I'd support their family, console their relations, but that would have some effect on me now wouldn't it.... Giving a hug and saying that "Don't worry, you'll find a way out" wouldn't really hurt someone.. :)

Catapharact
14-04-07, 22:27
Mourning the Death of a loved one is something I would do in private actually and not surrounded by a whole lot of people who may not even know as to how I entirely feel. A hug, a Kiss, or anything totally sentimental only has true meaning if its a very close beloved person. A stranger's sentiments wouldn't mean much to me anyway.

Forwen
14-04-07, 22:30
"Don't worry, you'll find a way out" wouldn't really hurt someone.. :)

Actually, there are some types of people out there who would just ask "so what direction you suggest?". To cheer them up your message needs to contain information, not emotion.

star girl
14-04-07, 22:32
^ So would many people... But many people may think about it differently.. Everybody has their POV after all :)

@ Forwen - That counts too.. I'm speaking generally.. :)

Catapharact
14-04-07, 22:33
Thus that is why this free hug campaign is such a waste. He is going around hugging people under the assumption that everyone wants a hug from a stranger.

No thankyou.

Me: "So what do you propose I say to my friend whose a free-lance journalist who may get killed reporting the west-bank conflict?"

Him: "Oh don't know but why don't I give you a hug to make you feel better?"

Me: "... Walk away... right now."

Suzan
14-04-07, 22:39
The point is: SOME_ONE_ might actually love to get a hug sometimes. And Juan doesn't ATTACK anyone like 'HEYY IMA HUG YOU, B*TCH!". People who want to hug him are allowed to do so. And I wouldn't mind at all.

Remember, not everyone thinks the same way. MEH.

*goes to sleep*

Catapharact
14-04-07, 22:41
Hmmm... Has anyone given the thought about the fact that he may have alterior motives? (i.e. Free Publicity, A fetish for hugging people, etc?)

Forwen
14-04-07, 22:42
star girl - I'm not really "against" Free Hugs campaign as long as this guy isn't intrusive. The video suggests that he doesn't approach people who clearly aren't interested so as long as the interest is mutual it's fine by me.

What I can't stand is the radical version of self-proclaimed mood saviours. Sometimes, depending on the time of the year and day, you can't go to the centre to not be jumped by some happy bloke ready to shower you with thousands of "awww, why aren't you smiling on such a nice day?" pieces of crap because you're not up to a conversation at the moment. And what's worst they actually think they've read you properly.

As I said. As long as both sides want to participate, good for them. It's nice to see it. You just have to know how to do that.

Suzan
14-04-07, 22:43
Of course he MAY have. But I won't accuse him for those motives because there's no proof of them, lol.

Clara [CA]
14-04-07, 22:44
I see your point :) Hugging is not my way to make people feel better either. Still, it seems to work on that video (and all the responses, did you check them ? :yik:)

Edit : "A fetish for hugging people" ? Are you serious ?

Catapharact
14-04-07, 22:46
Its a possibility ;). Hey... You can't leave anything out.

peffect
14-04-07, 22:59
That's one of the most emotional things I've seen in my life! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hugs to everyone! :hug:

@ Cat: Do you have a heart?

tr_mitch
14-04-07, 23:06
I was in town the other day, and some scene kids were holding up a 'free hugs' sign, me being the lovable guy i am, ran up and bout knocked him over. There was another sign as well which said 'Free ****' lmao... but thats another story. :whi:

xMiSsCrOfTx
14-04-07, 23:09
I think this has been posted here a loooong time ago. I don't know what I'd do if someone just randomly came up to me and hugged me. I guess naturally I'd feel freaked out, seeing as they're just a total stranger. Who knows though, a hug (even from a stranger) could really make someone's day.

Catapharact
14-04-07, 23:13
@ Cat: Do you have a heart?

*Taps his chest a few times... Puts his ear to it.*

Nope. Or its there but just ain't ticking.

xMiSsCrOfTx
14-04-07, 23:35
:off:

*Taps his chest a few times... Puts his ear to it.*

Can you please explain to me how you put your ear to your own heart? xD

Catapharact
14-04-07, 23:37
:off:

Me not human. Fair enough explaination? :p

Forwen
14-04-07, 23:38

Maybe he holds it in a chest full of ice.

Paperdoll
14-04-07, 23:38
I don't know what I'd do if someone just randomly came up to me and hugged me.

I do. Kick them between their legs. Or their ankles. Aw hell, just kick them.

Clara [CA]
14-04-07, 23:58
I do. Kick them between their legs. Or their ankles. Aw hell, just kick them.

Even if they hold a "Free Hugs" panel ? You'd still kick them ?

Paperdoll
15-04-07, 00:08
That'd be a different situation of someone just running up to me and hugging me for no reason. I'm not too keen on that, never was, I'm not going to pretend that I'd be all friendly towards such people, even if they do mean well.

Lara Croft!
15-04-07, 00:39
Very touching!!!!

Taylour
15-04-07, 02:29
I'm going to go do that in my mall now :hug:

PirateFromPeru
15-04-07, 04:46
I know someone from a long time ago that ran up to a random person and hugged them. He got punched in the face. Must have been a bad day for the one receiving the hug. :D

Angelx14
15-04-07, 09:13
Aww, that is so sweet. ^_^
Free hugs, awesome. I want to hug someone now too.:p

star girl
15-04-07, 16:03
star girl - I'm not really "against" Free Hugs campaign as long as this guy isn't intrusive. The video suggests that he doesn't approach people who clearly aren't interested so as long as the interest is mutual it's fine by me.

What I can't stand is the radical version of self-proclaimed mood saviours. Sometimes, depending on the time of the year and day, you can't go to the centre to not be jumped by some happy bloke ready to shower you with thousands of "awww, why aren't you smiling on such a nice day?" pieces of crap because you're not up to a conversation at the moment. And what's worst they actually think they've read you properly.

As I said. As long as both sides want to participate, good for them. It's nice to see it. You just have to know how to do that.

I absolutely agree with you, and for the first fifteen minutes that guy really did just stand there, waiting to be approached (as he held that sign).. He didn't just go up and say, "Hey you! I need a hug. NOW!" or stuff like that...

At times you really need to be alone to think over facts, and deal with your own problems... if someone spontaniously comes up to me (at that time) and hugs me, saying the stuff you mentioned, then of course I'll be "WTF man?! Beat it!" ... But the Free Hugs campaign is not to go on like that and harass people, it's putting up your request for everyone to see, then waiting to be appraoched by someone... :)

Lara Forever
15-04-07, 21:37
this is so sweet..i could use a hug:hug: right now,yesterday my cat died:( :(