PDA

View Full Version : Oh my God...

Natey168
08-04-07, 20:57
I just got a letter from my school saying I'm going to be held back, because I've missed too many days... I don't know what I'm going to do...everyone I know is going to the high school....:(

And this is just stupid...I've been an A-B student for 8 years..I've never gotten below a B. :(

gtkilla
08-04-07, 21:03
Poor you...

Can't you make up the days you've missed in summer school?

Natey168
08-04-07, 21:04
Apparently not...

I definetly would if I could...

jamieoliver22
08-04-07, 21:09
Well why did you miss so many to start with? If you dont mind me asking.

Natey168
08-04-07, 21:11
Because I'm and idiot..and I know that I didn't miss as many days as they say I did....They gave me a paper about unexcused abscences, and it said I had missed 11 days...and I missed 4 days after that..and they said I've missed 19...

gtkilla
08-04-07, 21:16
Because I'm and idiot..and I know that I didn't miss as many days as they say I did....They gave me a paper about unexcused abscences, and it said I had missed 11 days...and I missed 4 days after that..and they said I've missed 19...

I was absent 20 something days in junior high and I still got promoted...

Natey168
08-04-07, 21:18
I was absent 20 something days in junior high and I still got promoted...
18 is the limit at our school..

Lew
08-04-07, 21:22
Can't you move schools?

Ada the Mental
08-04-07, 21:23
That sucks.My brother only needs a couple of abscences to fail the class too.

How is the abscence system over there?
Here they count they check who's present each hour not day (that means that you can't get up to 7 abscences a day) and there's a limit of 50 unexcused ones and...I've no idea how many excused.

Lew
08-04-07, 21:25
We don't have them, my sister was ill for a month and she never got held back or anything.

Natey168
08-04-07, 21:26
That sucks.My brother only needs a couple of abscences to fail the class too.

How is the abscence system over there?
Here they count they check who's present each hour not day (that means that you can't get up to 7 abscences a day) and there's a limit of 50 unexcused ones and...I've no idea how many excused.
They take attendance each period, but it's still just for the whole day..

Camera Obscura
08-04-07, 21:45
If you don't mind me asking, did you miss school for health related purposes? My friends has missed over two months worth of school and he has many health related issues but he can still get promoted as long as he makes those days up with tutorials and summer school. Are you sure you can't do the same?

Natey168
08-04-07, 21:46
If you don't mind me asking, did you miss school for health related purposes? My friends has missed over two months worth of school and he has many health related issues but he can still get promoted as long as he makes those days up with tutorials and summer school. Are you sure you can't do the same?
Most of them weren't for being sick...I'm just an idiot.

jarhead
08-04-07, 21:54
Although this isnt the morally correct thing to do, but if the school dont you just skipped days off because your an idiot,can't you lie to them. Say you took time off because of health problems, or that you were finding it a tad too stressfull.

I mean, if your an A-B student, obviously having a few days off is doing you a good thing.

bett
08-04-07, 22:11
if talking to your principal or some authority at the school doesn't help, try taking the issue to your school board.

Hurrah4Lara
08-04-07, 23:07
Most of them weren't for being sick...I'm just an idiot.

Come on Natey, this is a chance to get your act together. Jarhead^^ is right with those comments, but this serves you right and you may well be held back. Stop messing around and grow up.

H4L:wve: [Jessika]

thompa89
08-04-07, 23:16
just say that you had "family issues" and needed some days of.

Or ask them for another chance, like if you skip one more day youll be hold back...

Ward Dragon
09-04-07, 01:49

If you're sure you missed 15 days, not 19, then can you ask them which days they think you missed? If they have you down for 4 days that you were actually there for, then maybe you can get one of your teachers to vouch for you that you were in class that day?

Geck-o-Lizard
09-04-07, 01:51
Can't say I'm too sympathetic with you here. Serves you right. Next year you should try harder.

Btw one of my friends is like this. She basically couldn't be arsed with school (used every excuse under the sun to explain it) and ended up with no Higher qualifications (aka AS-levels) because she skipped the second half of both her two senior years in school.

scoopy_loopy
09-04-07, 01:57
Wow! Your school is horribly strict. Didn't they take into account your grades? Obviously your quite able to move up to the next year.

Get your parents to complain.

AnthonyShock1515
09-04-07, 01:58
Well if you missed school for being an "idiot" then I don't know why you expect sympathy.

Your parents need to bend you over their lap and give you the belt.:smk:

LaraCablara
09-04-07, 01:58
Aw, I'm sorry :( But since your getting left back you have nothing to lose, so fight the system! Talk to your principle, get your parents talking to him, get doctors notes, everything.

The Educational System is honestly corrupt in so many ways...

Izzie404
09-04-07, 02:17
You could always set up a student organization of students who felt that you are being wronged...

Geck-o-Lizard
09-04-07, 03:20
The Educational System is honestly corrupt in so many ways...

...it's really not that corrupt. It's dedicated to giving people basic skills and knowledge so they can go out and go to university or to join the workforce; not for providing kids with a government-funded social event that they don't have to go to if they don't feel like it that day. Punishing kids for refusing to attend isn't corrupt.

What's corrupt is when teachers deliberately mark students' work inaccurately, or skim cash off the top of their subject's allowance for their own personal use, or take students' deposits and spend the cash elsewhere.

Izzie404
09-04-07, 04:34
People often say that their kids shouldn't be home-schooled because then they wouldn't learn proper social behavior, but teachers and the educational administration always refute that school isn't a place for socializing. I feel that school is both, and that we should be able to skip a few days if we do feel overwhelmed or stressed, but 20 you say: that's quite a bit. One of my friends had to be absent for a month and a half, and it put her drastically behind everyone else. You shouldn't try to stay home if you can help it.

Just this morning, I had to play in a Bell Choir for 2 church services in a row. During the first I felt really sick, and my whole body starting going cold. I sat out during the second church service and everyone yelled at me because they said that I was just being a "pansy." Trust me. I was not being a pansy. I have had that happen before, and when it happened [which was, weirdly enough, at church playing Bells] I collapsed while playing the biggest bell [C3 for those who know the system]. If they hadn't understood why that happened I would have had to play thousands of dollars for a replacement, luckily we have fundraisers. So, if I had kept playing during the second church service, I could have seriously hurt someone, because during those two church services I am very close to multiple people.

It's okay to skip school if you are ill, or if you could become ill [like, you feel it coming; that has happened to me before ;)] But you should remain in if you can without having to go to the nurse's office.

Phew...long post...:D

Lenochka
09-04-07, 11:32
Well... Why didnt you think of the outcome while you were missing these days? I guess... there isnt much you can do now except deal with being held back ( happend to a friend of mine a few years back ) I'm sure it wont be as bad as you think :)

Pablo.CT
09-04-07, 11:35
You've gotten below a B and you have been held back. Wow, talk about demanding

Greenkey2
09-04-07, 12:21
I'd say it's time you started taking your education seriously. If you're really that bothered about slipping grades, you've only got your own behaviour to blame. Come on, get that act together :wve:

viper456
09-04-07, 12:26
I'm sure if you do a lot of sucking up then you will manage to get around this. The teachers aren't there to purposely make your life hard after all.

laralauraxxx
09-04-07, 15:20
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG i feel soooooooo sorry for you i really do. I if i was in your position i would just want to die but luckily in my school there's no such thing as being held back ... TEACHERS SUCK

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 15:26
Not to be too harsh Natey, but I think the school's actions are justified. If you were genuinely ill or had some other problem that would prevent you from going to school, then you shouldn't get held back a year. But if you were just goofing-off then it serves you right really. :wve:

Lara'sLover
09-04-07, 15:35
Aww, Poor you :hug: Can't you make those days back up at the start of the year?

laralauraxxx
09-04-07, 15:36
Hey cam't you do after school detentions EVERY day to make up for it ? when i miss school a lot i have to do the bleep test after school if anyone knows what ghastly thing that is

knutroald
09-04-07, 15:52
:yik: Seriously??!

You should have lived up here, in Norway it's not possible too have to go a year over again. I feel so bad for you...:(

Gothlegend
09-04-07, 20:23
i feel realy sorry for you :( our limit is 10 days total btw

kewlkyle64
09-04-07, 22:22
That sucks, sorry dude. I would think you should be able to make up for it in summer school, but apparently not.

Joe_16
09-04-07, 22:51
Why did you miss so many days of school?

Geck-o-Lizard
09-04-07, 22:52
Truancy.

Andariel
09-04-07, 22:55
You should've had legal excuses. noob lol

Natey168
09-04-07, 22:58
Truancy.
Yeah..I was sick on some of the days...and I didn't actually miss as many as they said I did...But, yeah, mostly.

8accent8
10-04-07, 21:40
Not to be too harsh Natey, but I think the school's actions are justified. If you were genuinely ill or had some other problem that would prevent you from going to school, then you shouldn't get held back a year. But if you were just goofing-off then it serves you right really. :wve:

yes but a student who just passed with a C- and is a bad student BUT went there almost evryday gets promoted, while u wrked ur but off? that doesnt sound justified to me.

i remember i was in 3rd grade, i had lik all A's and the teacher loved me (i was quiet), but i as absent lik 18 times. but yes i got promoted. weird how im absent so much lik evry day but i always get excellent grades? and the not excellent grade ppl dont but are always there?? a pattern? could it be?

now in 8th the wrk iz more stressful i find myself so stressed, i wrk till 1am a lot of times. i get lik 85's n 80s n 90s in my classes. but i take alot of days off. i dont cut, iz stupid, i jus take the day off, and lik ALWAYS hav a note. i was absent lik 9 times at one point but the report card said 3 :D haha.
tell the ppl at the school u had stress breakdowns that affected ur health so u had 2 take alot of days off, it would also be plausible cuz of ur good grades.

by the way, nevr give up an arguement and stick 2 ur story.

Natey168
10-04-07, 21:44
I'm getting a doctor's note for asthma and bad allergies..which, I do have bad allergies, and the doctors have given me asthma medication before. The vice principal said that they don't just look at attendance, anyway, they look at grades, too. Apparently, they have to just automatically send those letters.

xMiSsCrOfTx
10-04-07, 21:45
I'm really sorry to hear that, Natey. Trust me, I feel your pain. I've missed 27 days or so this year and it's my last year. If I'm held back, I'm honestly screwed. I'm not really sure how many days we're allowed to miss, I think it was something like 25 but for some reason, I keep thinking someone told me it was 40 or so once. :S

Ward Dragon
10-04-07, 21:46
I'm getting a doctor's note for asthma and bad allergies..which, I do have bad allergies, and the doctors have given me asthma medication before. The vice principal said that they don't just look at attendance, anyway, they look at grades, too. Apparently, they have to just automatically send those letters.

That's good :) It sounds like you've learned your lesson about skipping class for no reason, and you have good grades anyway so you're obviously doing as much work as you need to do for the classes. I hope everything works out for you and you get promoted :)

tombfan91
10-04-07, 22:40
you really shouldn't get in trouble if you have a doctors note for eerytime your sick. i saed up on a lot of my doctors notes lol i never have to worry, buta nyways you do have doctors notes do you?

Natey168
10-04-07, 22:42
you really shouldn't get in trouble if you have a doctors note for eerytime your sick. i saed up on a lot of my doctors notes lol i never have to worry, buta nyways you do have doctors notes do you?
Uh, no. But I'm going to get one. I've only been to the doctor once this school year.