PDA

View Full Version : Why Nunchakus is banned?

Shark_Blade
09-04-07, 05:47
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=456

Nunchaku: Illegal in New York & California
Has The Law Gone Too Far?

In New York and California it is legal to have a shotgun, rifle or sword in your home, but if you have two pieces of wood connected with a rope or chain, possession is a crime.

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/4971/84195200kx0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Although most of the U.S. states that regulate possession of nunchaku make no attempt to ban the simple possession of the instrument in the privacy of one’s home for peaceful martial-arts practice, the laws of New York and California both make such possession a crime carrying up to one year’s imprisonment for anyone convicted. And while martial artists until recently may have taken comfort in the likelihood that such prosecutions for in-home possession were virtually unheard of, recent trends in both states indicate that complacency about keeping connected sticks in one’s house would be quite unwise.

In California earlier this year, police legally entered the San Jose residence of Harold Vaughn, a long-time martial artist and past Virginia director of the U.S. National Karate Association. Upon noticing a pair of nunchaku hanging on display on the wall along with Vaughn’s martial arts certificates, the police asked if he had any others. He did, and they subsequently seized a total of six pairs, following which Vaughn was charged with six counts of violation of California Penal Code § 12020, a misdemeanor, for his possession of the nunchaku in his home. There was no allegation that he had used them, or threatened to use them, to harm anyone, but, unfortunately, under the statute, no such allegation would be needed for a conviction. On July 19, 2004, Vaughn, threatened with prosecution for six misdemeanor counts with consecutive sentencing that would lead to six years of incarceration if he were convicted, pled "no contest" to a single misdemeanor count. A few years earlier he had moved from Virginia to California to study law, and had just completed his law degree. He is now spending weekends doing jail time by means of a part-time incarceration program. Ironically, he was ineligible for a community-service option because a "weapon" was involved.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2420/19854286se2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

In New York, another phenomenon is unfolding. Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, famous for taking on corporate corruption (most recently the insurance industry), has, over the last few years, brought civil lawsuits against out-of-state martial arts equipment suppliers (Family Defense Products of Ocala, Florida, and Bud-K Worldwide, Inc., of Moultrie, Georgia), which had supplied nunchaku to New York residents by mail order and Internet sales. Under the threat of huge liability, the companies agreed (in 2000 and 2002, respectively) to provide Spitzer with a list of New York customers who had purchased "illegal" weapons from the companies and to deliver written notice to their New York customers advising them to surrender their "illegal" weapons to law enforcement agencies. A copy of the form that Bud-K Worldwide, Inc. was required to send its customers may be seen at [link 1].

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1023/25916879mu3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bruce Lee’s 1973 movie “Enter The Dragon” first captured the public’s attention and kicked off the martial arts craze which continues today. In the movie there was only a short scene of Lee using a pair of nunchaku, but within a year (1974) the New York State legislature had enacted a ban on possession of this implement, even in the home. (:rolleyes: :rolleyes: )The nunchaku originated in Okinawa, but by the time of its ban in New York and California the nunchaku was practiced widely within many karate and Kobudo martial arts groups around the world.

New York has also recently prosecuted at least one person for simple in-home possession of nunchaku, a matter about which I can speak firsthand (since I was actually prosecuted). Although there was no allegation that I had used, or intended to use, the pair of nunchaku that police found under my couch to harm anyone, a misdemeanor charge was lodged against me in August 2000, and remained pending until 2003, when the prosecutors agreed to dismiss it upon my pleading guilty to a violation (not a crime). Being a lawyer myself, my next step was to challenge the statute banning possession of nunchaku in one’s own home as unconstitutional, in a case (Maloney v. Spitzer) that is currently pending in federal court here on Long Island. Interestingly, one of the arguments that Mr. Spitzer’s team is making in their defense (basically to avoid having the court decide the case) is that since Mr. Spitzer does not "enforce" the law, he is not the proper party to be sued. Arguably his civil lawsuits and the letters that he required to be sent to purchasers are a form of enforcement, and that question is now before the court. Although I had originally also named the District Attorney who prosecuted me as a defendant, the County attorneys early on pleaded with me to let him out to save the taxpayers some money, and I did. (If the Attorney General now manages to circumvent the court’s deciding the case on the basis of his "I’m-the-wrong-guy" argument, it will be classic manifestation of the adage: "No good deed goes unpunished.")

One noteworthy bit of history about the New York laws banning nunchaku (or "chuka sticks" as the statutes call them), which have been on the books since 1974, is that the State’s own Division of Criminal Justice Services sent a memo to the Governor just 12 days before the bill was signed into law, pointing out that nunchaku have legitimate uses in karate and other martial-arts training, and opining that "in view of the current interest and participation in these activities by many members of the public, it appears unreasonable--and perhaps even unconstitutional--to prohibit those who have a legitimate reason for possessing chuka sticks from doing so." I found a copy of that memo in the course of my research and have made it part of the court file. A copy may be found at [link 2].

The essence of my argument is that while the State may ban nunchaku possession in public places, it reaches too far when it attempts to make simple possession in one’s own home a crime. My constitutional bases for attacking the statute are, of course, the Second Amendment, as well as a well-developed line of unenumerated-rights cases holding that persons have a right to privacy in their own homes.

================================================== ========================

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3228/75616847cl9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Really tick me off.:mad: It seems they banned it after there was some kind of craze trend of owning nuncakus after Bruce Lee film. I mean, you can't even strangle people with that thing,the rope is too short! :rolleyes: They allow gunfire but not sticks with rope on it, doesn't make any sense,even a 5 year old boy know it's stupid.;) My friend has those nunchakus for martial art training and we have no problem owning it.

Some movies having censored/cut nunchaku off the movie

1. Enter the Dragon - Bruce Lee (some places even banned the movie)
2. TMNT movie 1,2,3 and 2007 (Michaelangelo's nunchaku was cut leaving him with hardly any action at all)
3. Fist Of Fury 2

Izzie404
09-04-07, 05:50
wtf?... they better not bring that to Illinois...I love my nunchakus :D

Phlip
09-04-07, 10:19
They are very very dangerous and could be used as weapons. I don't have an opinion weather they're banned or not tho ;)

Jo269976
09-04-07, 11:43
I want nunchuks.

...because they just look cool :D

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 11:47
It's not like they're banned everywhere. It's only the states of California and New York.

Lew
Americas messed up, Okay so you can buy a gun at 16, smoke etc. but can't drink alcohol until your 21 or own them? Seriously.....

TombRaiderLover
Fortunately, the BBFC are less sensitive against nunchakus and have restored Enter the Dragon uncut! Yay! :D

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 11:51
Americas messed up, Okay so you can buy a gun at 16, smoke etc. but can't drink alcohol until your 21 or own them? Seriously.....So you're saying that the fact that a country has higher age restrictions to when a person can drink alcohol makes it messed up? O.o

Lew
09-04-07, 11:52
So you're saying that the fact that a country has higher age restrictions to when a person can drink alcohol makes it messed up? O.o

No, which is more life threatening, a gun or a bottle of alcohol? Yeah precisely.... so shut up for once.

TombRaiderLover
09-04-07, 11:53
No, which is more life threatening, a gun or a bottle of alcohol? Yeah precisely.... so shut up for once.
He was only stating an opinion. :rolleyes:

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 11:54
No, which is more life threatening, a gun or a bottle of alcohol? Yeah precisely.... so shut up for once.Misinterpreting something is no excuse for you to speak to somebody like that. And in some cases, alcohol can be just as dangerous. ;)

Phlip
09-04-07, 11:56
He was only stating an opinion. :rolleyes:

Just report him like I have :)

Lew
09-04-07, 11:57
Misinterpreting something is no excuse for you to speak to somebody like that. And in some cases, alcohol can be just as dangerous. ;)

Yes, a bottle of alcohol drank can kill someone as quick as a bullet can..... :rolleyes:

Phlip
09-04-07, 11:57
Calm down lew. it's his opinion and if you don't agree then don't...

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 11:58
Yes, a bottle of alcohol drank can kill someone as quick as a bullet can..... :rolleyes:But somebody under the influence of alcohol who is driving could cause multiple deaths. Where as a gun could only kill one person. IMO, they can be both as dangerous as each other.

Betal
09-04-07, 11:59
Is it legal to have guns and shotguns etc.? Wow how smart. If you have guns or something here in Sweden you goes straight to prison. But anyway. It's America nothing there shocks me.

Lew
09-04-07, 11:59
Its also my opinion, and theres no need to report me for saying that to him, nowt to do with you, he always thinks hes right anyway.

Lew
09-04-07, 12:00
Is it legal to have guns and shotguns etc.? Wow how smart. If you have guns or something here in Sweden you goes straight to prison. But anyway. It's America nothing there shocks me.

Thankyou! Someone agrees.

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 12:02
Its also my opinion, and theres no need to report me for saying that to him, nowt to do with you, he always thinks hes right anyway.There's no need to report you for difference in opinion, but telling me to shut up wasn't exactly appropriate. And now you're bring more irrelevant stuff into this.

jarhead
09-04-07, 12:02

Same here. Well police are kind of lenient towards gun holders but your more then likely going to get done for carrying one. Too many things like this have happened in the U.S , so like Betal, nothing shocks me

Off topic, but what is it with taking everything to heart, you'll be better off just leaving the thread.

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 12:05
Off topic, but what is it with taking everything to heart, you'll be better off just leaving the thread.
Who? Me or Lew?

Phlip
09-04-07, 12:06
Who? Me or Lew?

Lew probably. He's just bieng an...

CuteKittenlol
09-04-07, 12:07
Americas messed up, Okay so you can buy a gun at 16, smoke etc. but can't drink alcohol until your 21 or own them? Seriously.....
Yeah, I agree. It's all stupid.
Just report him like I have :)
=\
Who? Me or Lew?
Me thinks he means you. Could be wrong though...

jarhead
09-04-07, 12:10
Who? Me or Lew?

Both of you.

Lew
09-04-07, 12:10
Who? Me or Lew?

Both I think.

Lew probably. He's just bieng an...

HA Well alot of people on msn who I have ...... you :)

Anyway I was just sayings its stupid to be able to buy guns when your 16 but not buy them or drink any alcohol til 21, I've said this to alot of people in UK mainly family and friends and they all agree with me, so get over it.

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 12:11
Anyway I was just sayings its stupid to be able to buy guns when your 16 but not buy them or drink any alcohol til 21, I've said this to alot of people in UK mainly family and friends and they all agree with me, so get over it.
So just because a lot of people agree with you it makes you right? No-one is right. It's opinion. That's something you need to get over.

Lew
09-04-07, 12:14
So just because a lot of people agree with you it makes you right? No-one is right. It's opinion. That's something you need to get over.

HA! Thats rich.

As much as I love America and the people in it, this is abit strange, they should ban guns more and just give them to people who are qualified or something.

Scottlee
09-04-07, 12:17

Don't tell members to shut up.

Betal
09-04-07, 12:23
And one thing. You can have a gun but you can't use it. Another stupid thing. :O xD

Lew
09-04-07, 12:28
And one thing. You can have a gun but you can't use it. Another stupid thing. :O xD

Unless you have a burgler? I heard that you can hurt them as much as you want or something.

viper456
09-04-07, 12:28
well it wouldn't be the same if the legal system made sense would it?

This is a bit silly taking into consideration that you can have a gun, knife etc. However, all weapons should be made illegal, just dont see why these are illegal over say a gun. :confused: strange.

Betal
09-04-07, 12:33
Unless you have a burgler? I heard that you can hurt them as much as you want or something.

If you hurt a burgler in Sweden he can sue you. HAHA xD.

Lew
09-04-07, 12:34
If you hurt a burgler in Sweden he can sue you. HAHA xD.

LMAO! I think that happens in the UK n all. Oh god governments these days haha

Hybrid Soldier
09-04-07, 13:02
So you're saying that the fact that a country has higher age restrictions to when a person can drink alcohol makes it messed up? O.o

No, i actually agree with Lew. The U.S honestly doesn't make sense sometimes with their decisions about "weapons".

Thorir
09-04-07, 13:14
From Wikipedia.

Possession of nunchaku is illegal in a number of countries, including Germany, Norway, Spain, Hong Kong, and the United Kingdom (anti-nunchaku laws in the UK were loosened somewhat in 1991, although media scenes with nunchaku were still edited out by censors until 2002).[citation needed] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources) Legality in the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) varies at state level, e.g., personal possession of nunchaku is illegal in New York, Arizona, California and Massachusetts, but in other states possession is not criminalized. Legality in Australia is also determined by individual state laws. In New South Wales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales), the weapon is on the restricted weapons list, and thus can only be owned with a permit. In New York (USA), attorney Jim Maloney has brought a federal constitutional challenge to the statutes that criminalize simple in-home possession of nunchaku for peaceful use in martial-arts practice and/or legal home defense.

bett
09-04-07, 13:22

actually you have to be 18 to buy a gun or smoke legally

Forwen
09-04-07, 13:45
They are very very dangerous and could be used as weapons.

More like suicide tools for masochists.

JANKERSON
09-04-07, 14:08

Can't smoke until 18 in the US.

Drinking is 21 though.

Shotguns and rifles are 18, handguns are 21.

21 also applies for any ammo that could be used in a handgun.

Lew
09-04-07, 14:25
Can't smoke until 18 in the US.

Drinking is 21 though.

Shotguns and rifles are 18, handguns are 21.

21 also applies for any ammo that could be used in a handgun.

What?! Why don't they just ban them full stop(period - american)?

JANKERSON
09-04-07, 14:27
What?! Why don't they just ban them full stop(period - american)?

Can't ban them as it would be Unconstitutional. ;)

We have the right to keep and bare arms.

Legend of Lara
09-04-07, 14:29
No nunchakus in the new TMNT movie??? :yik: Now it's all ruined! :mad: I love Mickey and his fighting style!!! :(

JANKERSON
09-04-07, 14:47
well it wouldn't be the same if the legal system made sense would it?

This is a bit silly taking into consideration that you can have a gun, knife etc. However, all weapons should be made illegal, just dont see why these are illegal over say a gun. :confused: strange.

Some knives are illegal to carry such as switchblades, also concealed carry is usually limited to a 4" blade and under in most states.

Nunchakus are banned because we have had so many morons over the years that have killed people with them etc. You can also make them at home very easy.

Laws like these are usually a reaction from past Idioticy of people (Criminals).

Guns are protected by the US Constitution and our right to keep and bare arms is guaranteed.

tr_mitch
09-04-07, 14:48
I have 3 samurai swords on a stand in my room, blunt of course but I'm sure they could still do some damage, I'm just not stupid enough to consider using them... shame that is ain't it.

JANKERSON
09-04-07, 14:51
I have 3 samurai swords on a stand in my room, blunt of course but I'm sure they could still do some damage, I'm just not stupid enough to consider using them... shame that is ain't it.

I have a real one. ;)

I had 2, but I sold one a few years ago.

BlackGrey
09-04-07, 14:52

There not the only blunt weapons you have in your room mitch :whi:

tr_mitch
09-04-07, 14:55
I have a real one. ;)

I had 2, but I sold one a few years ago.

I'm thinking about getting another one, the sword used in Kill Bill, I've seen it around quite a bit.
But I'd never trust myself with a real one, end up slicing my finger off or something.

There not the only blunt weapons you have in your room mitch :whi:

*Back Hands*

Hurrah4Lara
09-04-07, 16:05
Possession of nunchaku is illegal in a number of countries, including Germany, Norway, Spain, Hong Kong, and the United Kingdom (anti-nunchaku laws in the UK were loosened somewhat in 1991, although media scenes with nunchaku were still edited out by censors until 2002).Thanks for posting this, Thorir. Wow, I didn't know they were illegal here in the UK:o. Shh! I have had mine for nearly thirty years & I am still quite good with them.:jmp: However, I know well that they are indeed extremely dangerous in the wrong hands.

suicide tools for masochists:D Ouch! What a way to go!

H4L:wve: [Jessika]

Shark_Blade
09-04-07, 16:44
No nunchakus in the new TMNT movie??? :yik: Now it's all ruined! :mad: I love Mickey and his fighting style!!! :(

I'm sorry I said no action of nunchakus. They were in the movie but it was cleverly conceiled by the director to avoid the cut/banned. So you'll see very few of them in the movie. Nevertheless, it's still a great movie with astounding graphics and I recommend you to see it.:tmb:

2. TMNT movie 1,2,3 and 2007 (Michaelangelo's nunchaku was cut leaving him with hardly any action at all)We did see Mikey jump,kick and hold back attacks with his nuncahkus but for a very split seconds compared to other turtles.Bummer, I know.I did discuss on other board too about this.

On another note, the movie's dvd will have many of the deleted scenes so be sure to grab one too:p

laralauraxxx
09-04-07, 16:47
they're banned coz they look weird i guess ?!!!

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 16:50
they're banned coz they look weird i guess ?!!!Err... no. They're banned because they're dangerous.

jarhead
09-04-07, 16:50
However, I know well that they are indeed extremely dangerous in the wrong hands.
[Jessika]

To others or yourself??

I know a few people who have Nunchuks, and are quite good with them. Cant see how they are banned and guns aren't though.

Shark_Blade
09-04-07, 16:53
Err... no. They're banned because they're dangerous.
It's not as dangerous as fire arms in my opinion. It's not like people are gonna rob banks or shops using nunchakus. lmao now I think about it, how silly it will look like:vlol:

Robber: Gimme all the cash and Hands up or else!
Shopkeeper: Or else what sir?
Robber: Or I will do this!

*swing nunchakus left and right, twirling it a bit.*

Shopkeeper:............

Hybrid Soldier
09-04-07, 16:54
they're banned coz they look weird i guess ?!!!

Lmfao. That would be very sad if that were the case.

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 16:56
It's not as dangerous as fire arms in my opinion. It's not like people are gonna rob abnks or shops using nunchakus. lmao now I think about it, how silly it will look like:vlol:I guess in some scenarios they could be more dangerous. But if you think about it, they could do serious damage to the person using it and the people nearby if it were to go out of control.

tr_mitch
09-04-07, 16:58
I see them personally as more ornamental value, also when used properly, they can actually be quite entertaining to watch... IMO a wrench would do more damage, and i can't imagine seeing them banned any time soon.

Shark_Blade
09-04-07, 17:09
I guess in some scenarios they could be more dangerous. But if you think about it, they could do serious damage to the person using it and the people nearby if it were to go out of control.

Any weapon can be dangerous to the user, even handgun,revolver or a sword. But considering all the weapons, nunchakus will do minimal damage than the other, and it can hardly kill anyone.

btw I never heard anyone being killed by nunchakus before.So it's silly to banned them based on just because people crave them after seeing Bruce Lee's movie.

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 17:16
Any weapon can be dangerous to the user, even handgun,revolver or a sword. But considering all the weapons, nunchakus will do minimal damage than the other, and it can hardly kill anyone.

btw I never heard anyone being killed by nunchakus before.So it's silly to banned them based on just because people crave them after seeing Bruce Lee's movie.A nunchuk could easily kill someone.

Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Hurrah4Lara
09-04-07, 17:16
To others or yourself??To others:whi:. But you are right Jarhead, and Shark-Blade, some inexperienced users can be a danger to themselves.

It is right that they can be more dangerous than a gun - and a wrench, Mitch:D -, particularly at close quarters with multiple opponents.

I believe rather a lot of people have been killed by them, but I need to substantiate this. I seem to remember a recent one in London when a customer did a "runner" from a restaurant & the waiters attacked and killed him with nunchakus.:yik:

Shark_Blade
09-04-07, 17:25
A nunchuk could easily kill someone.

Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
OK, I know a very hard blow to the head can kill anyone but so are wrench,sticks,lead pipes but the probability is very low. They should concern on the most top weapon that has made kills every year and is used by most criminals like those fire arms.;)

Mad Tony
09-04-07, 17:29
OK, I know a very hard blow to the head can kill anyone but so are wrench,sticks,lead pipes but the probability is very low. They should concern on the most top weapon that has made kills every year and is used by most criminals like those fire arms.;)I agree, they should focus their concern on the firearms but like me and others have said, they can be just as dangerous.

Chocolate
09-04-07, 17:32
I know Nunchakus are dangerous and all, just like any weapon. But censoring them from films? How sad is that?

AnthonyShock1515
09-04-07, 18:53
My bro has a pair of them in mahogany

Despite our protests he insist's on displaying his weapons on the wall:rolleyes: He has a crazy obsession with guns and army stuff

That law is rediculous. I don't understand why the US enforces all these laws. I think it's just for attention.

Lost_Raider
09-04-07, 18:56
It's banned in Canada...

Shark_Blade
09-04-07, 21:06
^Hello Lost Raider:wve::D long time no see:)

Is it for the same reason in Canada, I mean because of Bruce Lee movie?

xMiSsCrOfTx
09-04-07, 21:16
That's weird that they've even gone as far as to censor them in movies. Wtf? O_o Anyways, I've posted these here before but if I could get any, I'd so get these:

http://www.ostendo.co.za/images/blog/nunchucks.jpg

Hurrah4Lara
09-04-07, 21:57
That's weird that they've even gone as far as to censor them in movies. Wtf? O_o Anyways, I've posted these here before but if I could get any, I'd so get these:

http://www.ostendo.co.za/images/blog/nunchucks.jpg
Hey xMiSsCrOfTx, those Nun-chakus are great!:D

Well I've been on the Net to back up my claim that they are lethal: I found dozens of cases merely by using nunchaku & suitable grisly keywords. The restaurant incident I mentioned was non-fatal, though.

Well, mine are really old. Part is black wood and part is iron & they can easily break a man's leg:eek:. For the physicists / other martial artists here, the jointed mechanism of such weapons causes the outer point to accelerate to the strike - transmitting phenomenal force. Do not underestimate nunchakus; they are an ideal mêlée-weapon:yik:.

JANKERSON
09-04-07, 22:59
I'm thinking about getting another one, the sword used in Kill Bill, I've seen it around quite a bit.
But I'd never trust myself with a real one, end up slicing my finger off or something.

Yeah you can get them as they are around for about $400 or so for sharp real ones, but the blades aren't Folded Steel though.

I keep my Cold Steel Recon 1 EDC (Everyday carry) knife razor sharp.

Lost_Raider
09-04-07, 23:40
^Hello Lost Raider:wve::D long time no see:)

Is it for the same reason in Canada, I mean because of Bruce Lee movie?

I don't know, but the ban was in effect since 70/80 in Canada for some weird reasons...I have been reading court cases regarding to weapon offenses, and there was a case in the 80s, which a Nunchakus stick was seized from a person's home and the Crown was trying to throw the guy in jail for posessing a weapon from the Dangerous (a.k.a illegal) Weapons category...the catch is that the Crown has to prove that the stuff was intended to use as a weapon (to harm people) first...

It could be the same reason as why switchblade knives was banned too, for the fact that it is extremely easy to conceal and used to harm people, but then again I'm not sure, since the law is made to reflect people's opinion, not weapon's lethality...

Lost_Raider
10-04-07, 01:08
Digging through the database a bit more, and I think the following list containing Canadian prohibited weapons(firearms excluded) should be interesting...and I believe United State's law also deam some, if not all of those weapons illegal.

Order 1: Pepper Spray (or any other device capable of discharging liquid, spray, powder or other substance...if you spray someone in the face with a paint can and people get hurt, it's illegal weapon)

Order 2, Section 1: Nunchaskus sticks

Order 2, Section 2: Plates with three or more spikes on them (like a 2 by 4 with tons of nails sticking out and you use it to beat someone)

Order 2, Section 3: “Manrikigusari” or “Kusari”, a weight linked to a rope, like something you throw during hammer-throw sport.

Order 2, Section 4: Finger ring with blades or sharp objects projecting outward.

Order 3, Section 1: Taser or similar device.

Order 3, Section 2: Crossbow that is less than half meter long and can be fired using just one hand.

Order 4, Section 1: “Constant Companion”, a knife that is consealed in a belt with the buckle as the knife's handle

Order 4, Section 2: "Push Dagger", a knife with the handle that is placed 90 degrees from the blade. (I believe it is also called a gravity knife...not sure)

Order 4, Section 3: Any sheath that is used to hide knives (less than 30 cm)

Order 5: Spiked Wristband

Order 6: Blow Pipe

Order 7, Section 1: “Kiyoga Baton” or “Steel Cobra”, something about manually triggered telescoping spring-loaded steel whip, not sure...

Order 7, Section 2: “Morning Star”, a.k.a Mace, a similar weapon as like in Order 2, Section 3, except the weight has spikes on it.

Order 8: Brass Knuckles

On top of that, switchblade knives and fake replica of firearms was banned long before this regulation has came into effect...

Izzie404
10-04-07, 01:16
Order 1: Pepper Spray

What about for women protecting themselves?

Lost_Raider
10-04-07, 01:18
What about for women protecting themselves?

I'm just stating the law...

Izzie404
10-04-07, 03:05
;) Are you the government..? ....Idk...I was just wonderin'

Lost_Raider
10-04-07, 03:25
I'm just paraphrasing the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted, regulation number SOR/98-462 section 7 part 3, which came into effect in September 16, 1998, and act as the extension of Canadian Criminal Code Part III : Firearms and Other Weapons

Remeber, defination of weapons is not as clear as people think...in law, any object that is capable of hurting people can be considered as weapons, as long as the person using it has the intention to hurt people...in another word, no intent, not a weapon...

Edit: The legal defination of weapon in Canadian Criminal Code:

Weapon:

"weapon" means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use

(a) in causing death or injury to any person, or

(b) for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person

and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm.

Dav
10-04-07, 03:48
IMO a wrench would do more damage, and i can't imagine seeing them banned any time soon.
Nah I think you'll find they are much more lethal than a wrench. The joint means you have a huge lever-effect (if you ever studied moments at schools) combined with a remarkable amount of momentum on the bit you don't hold through central fugal force. This means that the force you put into the stick you are holding is multiplied several times in the loose stick. When made out of a hard substance they are VERY dangerous.

It's similar to a long baseball bat, if you put in the same force you will hit the ball much harder if it connects with the end of the bat than you will if it hits half way down due to the greater lever-effect. But the nunchakus also have a momentum of their own due to the articulated joint. A wrench is big and heavy, but nunchakus will provide more force in a blow even though the user put in less much less than they would have done with the wrench. They utilise physics perfectly for maximum efficiency and effect.

I'm still not sure that warrants a total ban, but I bet how easy it is to underestimate how dangerous they are has something to do with it. Everyone knows guns can kill you. Two sticks tied together look less concerning than a baseball bat!

Oddly enough I bought a pair of soft plastic nunchakus as a kid, from a shop and everything. I bet the law in the UK doesn't say anything about the material they are made from so I recon, even though they were evidently toys, they were illegal weapons. Oh how badass am I?! :D

======

Sorry I'm late to the conversation but there were a few previous comments I also wanted to reply to:
in some cases, alcohol can be just as dangerous. ;)
Yeah if could be - if it was a very strong spirit and you threw it with a flaming rag in the end as a make shift petrol bomb :vlol:........otherwise probably not....
But somebody under the influence of alcohol who is driving could cause multiple deaths. Where as a gun could only kill one person.
Certainly not trying to pick on you buddy, but surely drink driving is illegal at any age anyway so that doesn't count? I mean you could drink at 18 and you'd be committing less of an offence than a D.U.I. (as they call it out there) at 21. And also I'm pretty sure you could kill more than one person with a gun, especially if it was one of those new-fangled ones that can carry more than one round, it all depends on how many times you pull the trigger! :tea:
Guns are protected by the US Constitution and our right to keep and bare arms is guaranteed.
:D Or so you'd think........... http://www.metacafe.com/watch/128834/family_guy_right_to_bear_arms/ (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/128834/family_guy_right_to_bear_arms/)
(I love Family guy)

Order 2, Section 4: Finger ring with blades or sharp objects projecting outward.
Those poor old Canadian Goths.......

Order 6: Blow Pipe

Does that include Pea Shooters?? :D

Lost_Raider
10-04-07, 03:54
Those poor old Canadian Goths.......

Not exactly, one Goth fought the right the wear Spike Wristband on the ground that it is intented as a personal decration, not a weapon, and he won...

Does that include Pea Shooters?? :D

Let the law speaks for itself...

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 6:

12. The device commonly known as “Yaqua Blowgun”, being a tube or pipe designed for the purpose of shooting arrows or darts by the breath, and any similar device.

Hope that helps...

Dav
10-04-07, 04:01
Well actually I was trying to be funny, but oh well! - Thanks anyway, as a British law student this is all rather interesting.

I have to say though, there are spiked armbands and then there's what my sister used to wear when she was in her goth phase. She called it finger armour (http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/e18/424/e184246b-69be-427d-b87b-ecc3e0f129b7 (http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/e18/424/e184246b-69be-427d-b87b-ecc3e0f129b7) - not my pic, just first one on google) and some of it looked like it had little purpose past maiming people!

kewlkyle64
10-04-07, 04:27
They're illegal? :o

Am I still allowed to make nunchukus out of a piece of string and two sticks? (I'm from California.)

Lost_Raider
10-04-07, 04:28
They're illegal? :o

Am I still allowed to make nunchukus out of a piece of string and two sticks? (I'm from California.)

If you are not using it to hurt, kill or threatening people, you do have wiggle room from the law, but don't expect no trouble when you display it in public...

Dav
10-04-07, 04:42
I'm not sure that's the case in California - sounds like they can do you for straight possession......

Lost_Raider
10-04-07, 04:45
Wait, got it...

2007 Dangerous Weapons Control Law (California)

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable firearm, any firearm which is not immediately recognizable as a firearm, any camouflaging firearm container, any ammunition which contains or consists of any flechette dart, any bullet containing or carrying an explosive agent, any ballistic knife, any multiburst trigger activator, any nunchaku, any short-barreled shotgun, any short-barreled rifle, any metal knuckles, any belt buckle knife, any leaded cane, any zip gun, any shuriken, any unconventional pistol, any lipstick case knife, any cane sword, any shobi-zue, any air gauge knife, any writing pen knife, any metal military practice handgrenade or metal replica handgrenade, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.
(3) The possession of a nunchaku on the premises of a school which holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of self-defense.
(4) The manufacture of a nunchaku for sale to, or the sale of a nunchaku to, a school which holds a regulatory or business license and teaches the arts of self-defense.
(3) As used in this section, a "nunchaku" means an instrument consisting of two or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods to be used as handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire, or chain, in the design of a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense such as karate.

Edit: well, I don't think anyone has broken any laws yet...

Izzie404
10-04-07, 05:52
but don't expect no trouble when you display it in public...

Aww,... I was expecting to run into the streets "waving" them at people ;):D

Shark_Blade
10-04-07, 10:50
Thanks for the great read lost raider:tmb::) and lol pepper spray and blow pipe(is that like a lead pipe)?:rolleyes:

Dav
10-04-07, 15:39
Umm........I wouldn't advise a blow pipe made of lead.....

PirateRose
10-04-07, 15:42
How is the Nintendo Wii selling in those states?
*jking*

Shark_Blade
10-04-07, 16:20
^:vlol: Those remote nunchakus could break people's bones!:eek: Banned FTW~
silly laws

Mona Sax
10-04-07, 16:23
Err... how many of you guys actually need nunchakus (or any other weapon)?

Hurrah4Lara
10-04-07, 22:04
I do, Mona!:ton:

Well Mona, what a question to ask in a nunchaku-enthusiasts' thread!:cln:

Well, here are my reasons for "needing" my nunchakus:
What about for women protecting themselves?I keep mine near my bed cos if anyone bad gets hold of them before I do, then I gain advantage (I was formerly expert in unarmed combat), as they'll surely defeat themselves by encumbrance or attempting to use them. It is the only self-defence weapon I know which has this property:cool: - even an amateur may strike a lucky blow with a knife or learn from the movies how to take the safety catch off a gun, but it takes years of training to handle these nunchaku.

My other reason is sentimental; they were given to me as a child.:)

Dav
11-04-07, 12:26
Err... how many of you guys actually need nunchakus (or any other weapon)?

How many people need mp3 players? Yet there would be outrage if they were banned.....

Lew
11-04-07, 12:39
^^ I need my iPod, I love it as much as I need my phone.