PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in God?

Pages : [1] 2

Joe_16
09-04-07, 23:34
I am currently reading a book entitled 'The case for a creator' by Lee Strobel, a book that looks at scientific evidence that there is a God.

Thing is, i've always been an athiest, but this book has been getting me thinking.

I'ld just like to hear about other people's opinions on the matter? Do you believe in God, and if so, why?

the hooliganz
09-04-07, 23:36
yes I do, no further questions

Izzie404
09-04-07, 23:37
I grew up as a christian, and I always felt that I believe in god, but recently i read Eldest by christopher paolini, which has absolutely nothing to do with religion, and it somehow made me start doubting that there is a god...

xMiSsCrOfTx
09-04-07, 23:39
No.

There's just too much wrong with the world for there to even be a possibility of such a thing as a 'God'.

Geck-o-Lizard
09-04-07, 23:40
Nope. I believe in a lot of things, but a guy watching over us and sending us to Hell if we're naughty isn't one of those.

Joe_16
09-04-07, 23:40
Fair point.

Anubis_AF
09-04-07, 23:41
Yes, in a way.

Ada the Mental
09-04-07, 23:45
Not really.The more I think about it the less I do.

I do not completely object to the idea of afterlife and spiritualism,though.

Gambit37
09-04-07, 23:45
a book that looks at scientific evidence that there is a God.
What? Looks FOR scientific evidence of a God? The concepts are mutually exclusive! Religion is about blind faith, science is about rational thought. The two are not compatibale.

Go and read Dawkin's "The God Delusion".

Joe_16
09-04-07, 23:47
I'll look out for that, thanks.

Legends
09-04-07, 23:49
No.

Lara Coft Baby
09-04-07, 23:49
Of course I believe, thats all I've got to say

ajrich17901
09-04-07, 23:50
nope not at all

peffect
09-04-07, 23:50
I believe in god. Simply 'cause I don't think all this universe is created by itself.

Geck-o-Lizard
09-04-07, 23:52
Hang on, you believe in God because you don't want to look for any other explanation? Isn't that a bit ignorant?

xMiSsCrOfTx
09-04-07, 23:53
Hang on, you believe in God because you don't want to look for any other explanation? Isn't that a bit ignorant?

I think I'd use the word 'lazy'. :ton:

peffect
09-04-07, 23:54

Explanation?! Like what?

tr_mitch
09-04-07, 23:54
Can't say i do.

Andariel
09-04-07, 23:55
I'm Agnostic.

Izzie404
09-04-07, 23:58
Nope. I believe in a lot of things, but a guy watching over us and sending us to Hell if we're naughty isn't one of those.

Um... God doesn't just "send us to Hell if we're naughty"... There's much more to these religions. God saves us from damnation if we repent for what we have done wrong and believe in him...

LaraCroftLuver
09-04-07, 23:58
Yes, there is! There is the Christain that loved God extremly and God allowed hime to see Heaven! He wrote a book called '25 Minutes in Heaven' and it is amazing. If you search good on google there is a site saying Lara is Christian. But some people think I am because My Dad is a pastor at a christian church but, I was befor he was.

Andariel
10-04-07, 00:00
I bet all you Christians grew up going to church... am I right? ;)

xMiSsCrOfTx
10-04-07, 00:01
Yes, there is! There is the Christain that loved God extremly and God allowed hime to see Heaven! He wrote a book called '25 Minutes in Heaven' and it is amazing

Lol, sorry but that made me laugh. The things people will do to sell a book these days!

Geck-o-Lizard
10-04-07, 00:02
Um... God doesn't just "send us to Hell if we're naughty"... There's much more to these religions. God saves us from damnation if we repent for what we have done wrong and believe in him...

So if you don't repent for your sins, you're damned forever. That's covered by "sent to Hell for being naughty".

peffect
10-04-07, 00:03
Lol, sorry but that made me laugh. The things people will do to sell a book these days!

What's funny in this? :confused:
It's called "A religion" Not "Something to laugh at"...

tr_mitch
10-04-07, 00:04

Who said religion can't be fun? :)

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 00:05
I am sorry, I am an extreme Christian so if anyone makes fun of HIM or the Religion or the people of the Religion I will have my parents sue! And It Sounds Funny And Stupid, But I Am Not Kidding!

xMiSsCrOfTx
10-04-07, 00:06

I'm not laughing at religion. I'm laughing at the fact that people can be so naive sometimes and take something any old person scratches down on paper and spits out, and truly believe every word.

tr_mitch
10-04-07, 00:08
I am sorry, I am an extreme Christian so if anyone makes fun of HIM or the Religion or the people of the Religion I will have my parents sue! And It Sounds Funny And Stupid, But I Am Not Kidding!

You'll have a job suing people for an opinion. ;)

Night Crawler
No, I don't believe in God, or Santa Clause.

peffect
Who said religion can't be fun? :)

See, tr_mitch?

Mr.Burns
I don't believe in a supreme being watching over us all. My opinion is that God is a creation by man to explain the unknown. My faith as a Jewish person is more of a spiritual nature.

EDIT:

Good luck with that :wve:

Izzie404
10-04-07, 00:09
So if you don't repent for your sins, you're damned forever. That's covered by "sent to Hell for being naughty".

Repent doesn't have to be literal. If you feel sorry for your sins, then you are saved. But if you don't, then, it is, in essence, being unregretful, and you shall be damned...

Geck-o-Lizard
There is the Christain that loved God extremly and God allowed hime to see Heaven!

I know someone who's told me he visited Hell once. That was during an LSD trip in his hippy days. He believes he saw the real deal, the genuine Furnace. (He's not a Christian btw)

And what exactly would you accuse that person of, when you got to court?

Andariel
Parents and their brainwashing. It never fails. lololol I'm just saying that since I wasn't brought up going to church that I'm open minded and won't easily believe there's a God when I can't see them/it. ;) A book that "mortals" wrote hardly convinces me.

Joe_16
10-04-07, 00:11
Parents and their brainwashing. It never fails. lololol I'm just saying that since I wasn't brought up going to church that I'm open minded and won't easily believe there's a God when I can't see them/it. ;) A book that "mortals" wrote hardly convinces me.

I am the same.

I've never really got into many discussions with my parents about it to be honest. Their lifestyles are so hectic, I doubt they ever think about it.

peffect
10-04-07, 00:12
I'm not laughing at religion. I'm laughing at the fact that people can be so naive sometimes and take something any old person scratches down on paper and spits out, and truly believe every word.

Are you sure the religion was written by an old person and thrown out to people to believe in it?

I'm muslim and I don't think The Holy Coran was scratched down by an old person. Sometimes, one has to be sure of a thing before they say wether it's right or not.

Roddy100
10-04-07, 00:13

Oddly, I grew up going to church and yet I do not consider myself a christian and the jury's out on whether or not I believe there is a god. I haven't seen enough strong evidence to support either argument and I doubt I ever will.

I'm not a religious person at all.

viper456
10-04-07, 00:15
And what exactly would you accuse that person of, when you got to court?

I'm kind of intrigued to hear this too.

xMiSsCrOfTx
Are you sure the religion was written by an old person and thrown out to people to believe in it?

Well, if someone took the time to actually write everything down, obviously they wanted to make a point and get someone to see their reasoning and take it into consideration at the least. Whether or not a person chooses to believe in a certain theory particularly is up to them. You've made up your mind on religion, you clearly believe in God. I don't. People are different. :)

Geck-o-Lizard
Are you sure the religion was written by an old person

The phrase "any old person" means "any random person" or "nobody special", it doesn't refer to age.

Ada the Mental
10-04-07, 00:16
Repent doesn't have to be literal. If you feel sorry for your sins, then you are saved. But if you don't, then, it is, in essence, being unregretful, and you shall be damned...
The thing is...What is exactly the definition of sin?For religion x sin is this,for religion z sin is that.In the end whose word are yyou going to take about what's right and what's wrong?I personally prefer to judge by myself,rather than be told what to think.

Same here.My parents never pushed me into religion,they jjust let me form my own opinions and that what I've done.

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 00:16
Read the Bible People. God was here befor you! And I don't care if I am rude to say that people that believe they were once apes are stupid! STU-PID! Who wan'ts to believe that ****t? Not me! And the big bang. . . NEVER HAPPENED! GOD said for 7 days ...
1. Let there be light and darkness
2. Sky and Earth
3. Water and land
4. Day and night
5. animals and fish
6. Adam and Eve
7. HE rested

It's not hard to follow people!
And Easter is a Holiday to celebrate the day God rose from the dead! He died on Good Friday. And Christmas (Christ-mas) DUH' He was born for heaven sakes. God let his only son live on earth to teach us the way he wishes us to live. He gave you a choice to serve or not to serve Him. He loves you and if you don't believe my I will pray for you...

tr_mitch
10-04-07, 00:18
^

Which is all fair enough.... If you actually believe in the bible.
Some people do, some people don't. Accept the fact that not everybody is narrow minded enough to believe everything that a book tells them.

xMiSsCrOfTx
10-04-07, 00:18
Read the Bible People. God was here befor you! And I don't care if I am rude to say that people that believe they were once apes are stupid! STU-PID! Who wan'ts to believe that ****t? Not me! And the big bang. . . NEVER HAPPENED! GOD said for 7 days ...
2. Sky and Earth
3. Water and land
4. Day and night
5. animals and fish
6. Adam and Eve
7. HE rested

And Easter is a Holiday to celebrate the day God rose from the dead! He died on Good Friday. And Christmas (Christ-mas) DUH' He was born for heaven sakes. God let his only son live on earth to teach us the way he wishes us to live. He gave you a choice to serve or not to serve Him. He loves you and if you don't believe my I will pray for you...

This is why I can't stand religion threads. Why can't you accept the fact that not everyone thinks the same exact way you do? "Not that hard to follow", well... I understand Christianity, I've read the Bible. I just don't think that's how we came to be. And saying someone is wrong because they may believe we evolved from apes (which, btw, scientific evidence pretty much already proved), is quite arrogant. Wouldn't you say?

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 00:19
I know that but I am trying to witness here! Meaning trying to show people the way.

Joe_16
10-04-07, 00:20
2. Sky and Earth
3. Water and land
4. Day and night
5. animals and fish
6. Adam and Eve
7. HE rested

Yes, it is hard for some people to follow, because some people do not believe that. That is a very mocking response.

Geck-o-Lizard
Few actual Christians I've spoken to believe that Genesis is a story to be taken literally.

For example, the earth, according to the Bible, is only about 6000 years old. How do you explain away radiocarbon-dating that proves there is material millions of years old here?

Btw you're a Jehova's Witness?

Roddy100
This is why I can't stand religion threads. Why can't you accept the fact that not everyone thinks the same exact way you do? "Not that hard to follow", well... I understand Christianity, I've read the Bible. I just don't think that's how we came to be. And saying someone is wrong because they may believe we evolved from apes (which, btw, scientific evidence pretty much already proved), is quite arrogant. Wouldn't you say?

Exactly. In my experience, discussions on religion never end well.

Andariel
The reason why people are strictly one religion or another is mostly do to their upbringing. If you parents or community says this or that as you're growing up you're bound to have the belief installed in your mind preventing you to rationalize when you're older. That's what I believe.

Roddy100
10-04-07, 00:23
I know that but I am trying to witness here! Meaning trying to show people the way.

But that would mean you assume what YOU believe is correct and that everyone else is incorrect, right?

peffect
10-04-07, 00:23
Well, if someone took the time to actually write everything down, obviously they wanted to make a point and get someone to see their reasoning and take it into consideration at the least. Whether or not a person chooses to believe in a certain theory particularly is up to them. You've made up your mind on religion, you clearly believe in God. I don't. People are different. :)

Right.

The phrase "any old person" means "any random person" or "nobody special", it doesn't refer to age.

Ithink my point of view was wiser...
Do you think religion can be written by a kid? :rolleyes:

Geck-o-Lizard
10-04-07, 00:24
Yep... and it would be just as valid as one written by a teenager, an adult, or an old man.

viper456
10-04-07, 00:26
Right.

Ithink my point of view was wiser...
Do you think religion can be written by a kid? :rolleyes:

I think you need the imagination of a kid to believe some not all of the stories in the bible.

Mr.Burns
10-04-07, 00:26
2. Sky and Earth
3. Water and land
4. Day and night
5. animals and fish
6. Adam and Eve
7. HE rested

Well, the problem I have with the validity of the Bible is it's severe inconsistency. It's vague in certain parts, bounces around, contradicts itself, etc. Now if this is supposed to be the word of God, I suspect it would have had some more consistency. As for Easter. Well, being Jewish, traditionally we have never believed that Jesus was the son of God nor that he was resurrected. It's not a matter of spite (though I suspect some more hard core Jews might) but simply because according to our religious texts, the Messiah was to be a simple man, not one whom claimed to be the son of God. We also believe that the human race are the children of God so we would not accept someone claiming to be the direct son of God. To us, that person would be contradicting them self. However, this does not invalidate your beliefs and I have respect for them, I just don't follow them.

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 00:28
They are real people and if you don't except Him as your Lord I am sad to say you will be punished.

Here is a TRUE STORY about a freind...

He met this Muslum and he never believed in God. Him and his wife and kids were poor and needed money so he worked as a guard for something not sure what it was...yep slipt my mind, anyway Justin (friend) gave him a bible, a week or two the man was saved (meaning excepted Christ) and within two to three weeks he died. If he hadn't asked God into his heart he wouldv'e died and wen't o Hell.

Tell me if that isn't amazing.

Anubis_AF
10-04-07, 00:29

No, you're not. I've never been taught about religion. I discovered it on my own, not a long time ago. And believing in God is much more than going to Church or any holly temple. I've never been inside a church but I still consider myself to be Orthodoxic Christian.

xMiSsCrOfTx
10-04-07, 00:29
The reason why people are strictly one religion or another is mostly do to their upbringing.

Not in my case. My parents are somewhat religious, my mom more than my dad (only because my dad's too busy to care about religion anymore). But in most cases, yes, I'd say upbringing has a lot to do with what you believe in. It's kind of a nature vs. nurture issue though.

They are real people and if you don't except Him as your Lord I am sad to say you will be punished.

That's another thing I don't get. YOUR God will send ME to Hell because I don't believe in him? What an un-Godly thing to do.

Izzie404
10-04-07, 00:30
Yep... and it would be just as valid as one written by a teenager, an adult, or an old man.

But how many people do you know who could write a 2,000+ page book ;)

Well, the problem I have with the validity of the Bible is it's severe inconsistency. It's vague in certain parts, bounces around, contradicts itself, etc. Now if this is supposed to be the word of God, I suspect it would have had some more consistency. As for Easter. Well, being Jewish, traditionally we have never believed that Jesus was the son of God nor that he was resurrected. It's not a matter of spite (though I suspect some more hard core Jews might) but simply because according to our religious texts, the Messiah was to be a simple man, not one whom claimed to be the son of God. We also believe that the human race are the children of God so we would not accept someone claiming to be the direct son of God. To us, that person would be contradicting them self. However, this does not invalidate your beliefs and I have respect for them, I just don't follow them.

What kind of inconsistencies are you talking about?

gtkilla
10-04-07, 00:30

He met this Muslum and he never believed in God. Him and his wife and kids were poor and needed money so he worked as a guard for something not sure what it was...yep slipt my mind, anyway Justin (friend) gave him a bible, a week or two the man was saved (meaning excepted Christ) and within two to three weeks he died. If he hadn't asked God into his heart he wouldv'e died and wen't o Hell.

No. That's not amazing.

Geck-o-Lizard
10-04-07, 00:31
Be civil, gtkilla.

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 00:32
My freind grew up Jewish and now knew that she should be Christian and quite the Jewish religion.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$~~~~~~$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ JESUS CHRIST ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr.Burns

It's not, to me at least. I should also note that I also don't believe in hell. Not mentioned in Judaism. We're more concerned with living a good life and being good to our fellow man than repenting. We do repent, that's what Yom Kippur is for but I will spend my life helping others because I want to, not because I have to in order to get into heaven.

EDIT: If that's what she felt would help her feel complete and give her strength, than good for her.

tr_mitch
Forgive me father, for i don't believe everything I'm told, remember we were all made in your image, meaning you made me this way. Fair do's right?

peffect

I think you need the imagination of a kid to believe some not all of the stories in the bible.

Well, I've not read the bible yet and don't think I'll do it one day.
But, I DO know what's in Coran and I'm sure it's not a kid's imagination.
All what is in Coran is actually being discovered scientifically by the time... And you can find more than of exemple.
Do you think there might be a kid in the past that could write such?

Geck-o-Lizard
But how many people do you know who could write a 2,000+ page book ;)

JK Rowling, for one... Though bearing in mind the Bible's made up of lots of different stories written by different authors, JK's got it beat there.

What kind of inconsistencies are you talking about?

Here's the first page from google:
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/inconsistencies.html

Ada the Mental
10-04-07, 00:34
A thing that really annoys me in treligion,particularly the Christian one,is messages like "Faith is the Way","Faith Is Salvation" "Without God You Are Damned" etc.

Let's take an example.We have Person A and Person B.

Person A goes to the Church.He believes in God,his faith is blind.He lives according to every religious tradition concievable.Yet Person A is in fact a selfish person that wouldn't move a finger to help someone in need.Person A is arrogant,selfish,thoughtless etc.*

Person B is an atheist.Does not believe in God,does not commune,last time went to church in a friend's wedding.Yet Person B is honestly a good person.With all the meanings of the word.

Who is going to be saved?Who's going to end up in "Heaven" and who in "Hell"?

*I'm not saying that every religious person is a hypocrite,I'm just giving an example.

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 00:35
Not in my case. My parents are somewhat religious, my mom more than my dad (only because my dad's too busy to care about religion anymore). But in most cases, yes, I'd say upbringing has a lot to do with what you believe in. It's kind of a nature vs. nurture issue though.

That's another thing I don't get. YOUR God will send ME to Hell because I don't believe in him? What an un-Godly thing to do.

NOT TRUE! You are sending yourself to Hell by making the choice. You are saying in plain letters that you wan't to go there. He is not forsing you to go anywhere. He created the Earth to show the world his love but only 10% Grasped that.

peffect
10-04-07, 00:35
If I was him, I'd say, God created the human beings.

Geck-o-Lizard
10-04-07, 00:38
He created the Earth to show the world his love but only 10% Grasped that.

Or 90% aren't that gullible.

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 00:38
Or 90% aren't that gullible.

No...

Joe_16
10-04-07, 00:40
No?

Elaborate..

Night Crawler
10-04-07, 00:40
If he hadn't asked God into his heart he wouldv'e died and wen't o Hell.

So? Hell sounds a lot more fun than heaven. ;) Besides, that's where all the cool people are going. I can't wait to be burned, poked and prodded, what are you gonna do? Sit up there on your cloud and play your harp for all eternity? :D

Anubis_AF
10-04-07, 00:41
LOL at you two :p

A thing that really annoys me in treligion,particularly the Christian one,is messages like "Faith is the Way","Faith Is Salvation" "Without God You Are Damned" etc.

Let's take an example.We have Person A and Person B.

Person A goes to the Church.He believes in God,his faith is blind.He lives according to every religious tradition concievable.Yet Person A is in fact a selfish person that wouldn't move a finger to help someone in need.Person A is arrogant,selfish,thoughtless etc.*

Person B is an atheist.Does not believe in God,does not commune,last time went to church in a friend's wedding.Yet Person B is honestly a good person.With all the meanings of the word.

Who is going to be saved?Who's going to end up in "Heaven" and who in "Hell"?

*I'm not saying that every religious person is a hypocrite,I'm just giving an example.

You've just made a very important point. Couldn't agree with you more there. Could a religious person, for example, tell us which person would go to Heaven, and which will make a detour to Hell?

Ada the Mental
10-04-07, 00:43
^^
I just cannot accept that a good and honest person would be damned and punished for eternity simply because he doesn't believe!:rolleyes:
How fair!

peffect
10-04-07, 00:43
So? Hell sounds a lot more fun than heaven. ;) Besides, that's where all the cool people are going. I can't wait to be burned, poked and prodded, what are you gonna do? Sit up there on your cloud and play your harp for all eternity? :D

Don't be too optimistic, its name is "Hell". :)

I'm off to bed. 'Night ev'ryone! :wve:

Camera Obscura
10-04-07, 00:44

So by coincidence this guy died a little after becoming Christian? And because of doing so he is going to heaven? I really don't find any logic in that whatsoever. :pi:

Geck-o-Lizard
10-04-07, 00:45
Btw according to Dante, virtuous people who didn't believe in God/Jesus went to Limbo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo) when they died. It was still in Hell, but their only punishment was the sadness of knowing they hadn't followed the right path.

Anubis_AF
10-04-07, 00:47
There are so many misunderstood concepts of religion. Some people think if they die on certain holiday (for this specific religion) they would go to Heaven, regardless of the things they've done.

^^
I just cannot accept that a good and honest person would be damned and punished for eternity simply because he doesn't believe!:rolleyes:

Exactly :tmb:

AnthonyShock1515
I've been struggling with this the past few days.

I am usually an Athiest, I want to be, because the idea of a man in the heavens is watching us getting changed doesn't make sense. Personally, I beleive that the story of Christianity began when a man probably had a dream wrote it down, and it passed on through generations, being filetered like Chibese wispers, lets face it, there is no way the bible is exactly correct, it's come to far to be pure

But I've noticed that everytime I doubt the religion, something bad happens to me, it's like I'm being punished everytime I shun it. I strongly believe that I'm an athiest, but I'm starting to think that something is punishing me for thinking this way. I really donlt know. But weirdly enough, I know this sounds crazy, last weekend I started to think that maybe I'm destined to just be Catholic, then loads of good things happened, my mother gave me £20 to go out and other weird stuff.

I really don't know

Andariel
Having 100% belief in what a book says is illogical in my opinion if the subject is only provable by what someone wrote.

tweetygwee
It depends what you mean by God....

I don't believe in an actual "God" so to speak. I'm quite into the concept of looking for God in yourself though, by being a good member of society and the like. I don't really like organised religion, but I'm quite spiritual.

I consider myself an agnostic, and I think it's most sensible to sit on the fence when it comes to religion. If God is somehow proven, I won't deny it.

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 00:48

If you think eternal pain sounds more fun than no pain. In hell you feel like you skin is peeling off, your consantly thirsty demons are always doing bad things to you etc.
In heaven the streets are made of gold and there are colours never seen. It is beautiful with animals (all kinds like tigers bears etc.) you can play with. There is going to be a thing called the after life. Everyone Christian and non-Chrstians will be there were you will have one more cahnce to except Christ. If not you will be afficialy dead. And all those Lesbians and Homoes are still sinners icluded. I hope my preachings will help someone except Christ. If not I am still happy to have shared what I knew.

Geck-o-Lizard
10-04-07, 00:49
Has anyone ever returned from the dead and described Hell?

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 00:50
Everyone answer these questions on your religion (NOTE:_You don't have to):
1. What is you religion
2. Why is this your religion
3. Will you ever become a Christian
4. What do you think about God/Christ
5. Do you think he is real

Anubis_AF
10-04-07, 00:51

^ Or Heaven, for that matter. Who can guarantee anything?

Ada the Mental
10-04-07, 00:51
If you think eternal pain sounds more fun than no pain. In hell you feel like you skin is peeling off, your consantly thirsty demons are always doing bad things to you etc.
In heaven the streets are made of gold and there are colours never seen. It is beautiful with animals (all kinds like tigers bears etc.) you can play with..
Wow.Have you actually been there?

Btw according to Dante, virtuous people who didn't believe in God/Jesus went to Limbo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo) when they died. It was still in Hell, but their only punishment was the sadness of knowing they hadn't followed the right path.
Hmm...Interesting.
I suppose those poor tribes that live in God's most forgotten places,and never had the chance of being preached will spend their afterlife holidays in limbo,as well.

tweetygwee
10-04-07, 00:52

:vlol: Good point. People close to death always describe heaven, never hell. Maybe seeing a bright light is part of the scientific process of dying?

Andariel
10-04-07, 00:52
I have to admit it's quite fun playing the whole heaven and hell theme in Diablo 2. One great big fantasy. lol

Mr.Burns
10-04-07, 00:53

Why yes, I do believe there was one...Dante:) The hell LaraCroftLuver is describing is identical to the one described in Inferno and also sounds similar to the Greek Underworld.

Lavinder
10-04-07, 00:53
I do not believe in "God" but I do believe that there is something controlling our fate :)

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 00:54
No but there was one person who absalutley hated God andd knew he was wrong, but God allowed him to see what it was like and he wrote '90 minutes in hell' kinda has the same topic as the other one I spoke of but it's not.

Geck-o-Lizard
10-04-07, 00:54
Mr Burns - Yep... I read the Divine Comedy whilst on a boring holiday to Spain, when it rained heavily all day every day we were there. :rolleyes: Was better entertainment than the Spanish TV at any rate.

LaraCroftLuver - If I were to tell you I'd visited Heaven in my sleep and seen what it was like, then wrote a book about it, would you believe me? Why not? What makes this man's writings more believable or true than anything I might write?

Night Crawler
10-04-07, 01:00
In heaven the streets are made of gold and there are colours never seen. It is beautiful with animals (all kinds like tigers bears etc.) you can play with. There is going to be a thing called the after life. Everyone Christian and non-Chrstians will be there were you will have one more cahnce to except Christ. If not you will be afficialy dead. And all those Lesbians and Homoes are still sinners icluded. I hope my preachings will help someone except Christ. If not I am still happy to have shared what I knew.It doesn't bother me, suffering is only suffering.

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 01:06
Geck-o-Lizard- I would because no one would not believe him except a few people o.k.

There is about Hmmm... over a bagillion people against you and a few other doubters. Whatcha think about that? Don't respond send me a message if you must.

Andariel
10-04-07, 01:10
Geck-o-Lizard- I would because no one would not believe him except a few people o.k.

There is about Hmmm... over a bagillion people against you and a few other doubters. Whatcha think about that? Don't respond send me a message if you must.
pwned.

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 01:11
^ What does that mean?

Geck-o-Lizard
10-04-07, 01:14

My question was: if I were to write a book about my trip to Heaven, would you believe me or not? And why?

There is about Hmmm... over a bagillion people against you

...there's no such number as "a bagillion".

tr_mitch
There is about Hmmm... over a bagillion people against you and a few other doubters. Whatcha think about that?

Since when was religion part of a popularity contest?

I personally think you'll never be able to justify your opinion, until you see both sides of the argument, which from your posts... I gather won't happen any time soon.
It's fine for you to have your beliefs, just stop ramming it down other peoples throats okay... since your preaching has achieved the opposite of your goal to show people the 'right way'.

Andariel
Basically you got proved wrong. At least I believe you did.

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 01:17
WTF (What the ****!) You know what beleive what you want! Good job Christian your going to heaven and, well, sorry for those unchristians your going to Hell! And yeah there is such a place!

Night Crawler
10-04-07, 01:18
WTF (What the ****!) You know what beleive what you want! Good job Christian your going to heaven and, well, sorry for those unchristians your going to Hell! And yeah there is such a place!Source plz.

Geck-o-Lizard
Barbequed Unbeliever ribs, here I come! :)

AmericanAssassin
Yes, I do believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. However, I do not believe in the bible we have today. It was written by kings to set standards for their people and doesn't tell us much of what God wanted us to learn. God doesn't believe in war. He doesn't hate homosexuals. And, he certainly, wouldn't send us, his children, to hell. If God really loves us, do you really think he'd be willing to send us into enternal damnation? No, he would not. As you see, yes, I believe in God, but I do not believe in the king-written bible. ;)

viper456
10-04-07, 01:19
WTF (What the ****!) You know what beleive what you want! Good job Christian your going to heaven and, well, sorry for those unchristians your going to Hell! And yeah there is such a place!

That attitude is awful. Hardly the attitude of a Christian is it; to wish misfortune onto others?

Andariel
10-04-07, 01:20
LaraCroftLuver, why not answer Geck-o-Lizard?

LaraCroftLuver - If I were to tell you I'd visited Heaven in my sleep and seen what it was like, then wrote a book about it, would you believe me? Why not? What makes this man's writings more believable or true than anything I might write?

Thorir
10-04-07, 01:21
Sin is in. http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/teufel/a014.gif

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 01:21
Whatever people! Sorry but that is what WTF means

Geck-o-Lizard
10-04-07, 01:22
Are you refusing to answer my question because you don't have an answer to support your blind faith in un-verifiable books?

Ada the Mental
10-04-07, 01:22

Why can't you accept that other people's beliefs may differ from yours?
We don't believe in God we go in Hell.we got the message.It's our problem and we do-not-need to suffer a preaching.

Sin is in.
Woohoo!Hello Sin!:wve:

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 01:24
^ you mean you like sin?

AnthonyShock1515
10-04-07, 01:25
My question was: if I were to write a book about my trip to Heaven, would you believe me or not? And why?

...there's no such number as "a bagillion".

Actually I agree with her. What evidence do we have that indicates that the bible wasn't just created by some random bloke who felt like whipping up a novel one day. I believe the bible was just a novel, like Alice and Wonderland, and that through centuries it was exagerrated and spread the land as fact. Also I believe all other eligions could have sprouted form this one story. So to me, the bible is just a bedtime story.

Anubis_AF
10-04-07, 01:26

Ouch.

Andariel
10-04-07, 01:27
^ you mean you like sin?

You keep dodging Geck's reasonable question?

Tomb Raider 5194
10-04-07, 01:31
I do believe in God, but not entirely because its hard to believe in him when you see there is so much chaos in the world.

Luka_Aveiro
10-04-07, 01:33
I do not believe in the Bible God, but I like to believe that there is some kind of force that makes my life easier/harder according to my actions.

May call it Karma, but I feel deep inside that Universe IS balanced...

I also believe LaraCroftLuver is laughing big time by decoying her/his self as a naïve christian teen...

Luka_Aveiro
10-04-07, 01:36
I do believe in God, but not entirely because its hard to believe in him when you see there is so much chaos in the world.

When you notice chaos, remeber Humans and their freedom to choose what to do.
Don't like it? "Be the change you want to see in World"...

Tomb Raider 5194
10-04-07, 01:38
When you notice chaos, remeber Humans and their freedom to choose what to do.
Don't like it? "Be the change you want to see in World"...
Im not blaming God or anything in particular, and I belive in him, but I still have my doubts on somethings.

AmericanAssassin
10-04-07, 01:39
Are my words empty to all of you? Every day I post long opinions of mine. However, not only some, but all of them are completely ignored. Not only doesn't it hurt me, but it makes me feel disrespected. You can tell me that you missed it or that you didn't have anything to comment on with it, but the fact of the matter is, you're all lazy and just don't want to read a post that will take time. I've scanned this thread through thoroughly and it's just the same things being said over and over. I post something of new and of reason and I'm ignored. These forums are getting on my last nerve. People only read the mods and admins. posts, which is rediculous. Do I not deserve the same respect? :mad: (Read post 104, to see what I'm saying.)

LaraCroftLuver
10-04-07, 01:41
I am sorry, say soemething about God and I will reply with somethin

bett
2. Sky and Earth
3. Water and land
4. Day and night
5. animals and fish
6. Adam and Eve
7. HE rested

Jesus, God's son. Remember God is "alpha&omega", He has no beginning or end

Geck-o-Lizard
If nobody responded, it's simply because they had nothing to say in response...

And trust me, we get ignored quite a lot too. :p

Fish.
10-04-07, 01:42
I believe in God, of course. I mean, how do you think you were made?

xMiSsCrOfTx
10-04-07, 01:43
I am sorry, say soemething about God and I will reply with somethin

He did, in the post he mentioned.

Andariel
10-04-07, 01:43
I believe in God, of course. I mean, how do you think you were made?

Primordial Soup.

Epic Century
10-04-07, 01:45
Tell me "LaraCroftLuver". How often do you read the bible? Honestly. Have you read Leviticus. In Leviticus 24:21, the bible read's.

21.) Whoever kills an animal must make restitution, but whoever kills a manmust be put to death.

Now with that being said, what justify's you playing a game as a christian of which portraits such an act? It's been proven that media, in all forms affects one's actions. Tell me, would you kill a man? Have you ever killed an animal? Will you give a straight answer instead of giving falsified story's (That is what they are aren't they? Storys? Honestly, nothing you have said is beleivable, even to me and i attend a church and worship God and beleive in God.) this time so that we may continue with the origanal meaning of the thread. A thread is not started with mallicious intent but attacking one's belief's soon turn's a thread into such an event.

-Pritchard.

AmericanAssassin
10-04-07, 01:47
If nobody responded, it's simply because they had nothing to say in response... And trust me, we get ignored quite a lot too. :p

It is not the same. I am always ignored and there hasn't been a day in the last month that I have felt respected here. The truth of the matter is, I had something to say. You all are just rambling on about the same things, that you're all ignorant about. We all are. At least I attempted to put the situation into persprective. But, you wouldn't know that because none of you respect me enough to pay any attention to me. I couldn't dream of doing the same to any of you... You can all go on with your pathetic rambling now. :(

Forwen
10-04-07, 02:03

Some people grab any chance to parade their hurt pride around.

And Christmas (Christ-mas) DUH' He was born for heaven sakes. .

It's not known when Christ was born. Not only he wasn't born 2006 years ago, but his birth wasn't officially celebrated until the fifth century. And even then the western and eastern churches weren't unilateral on the matter, as the latter one first believed it was January 6. Armenians still believe so.

Another interesting thing is that according to Julian Calendar, which was in force at that time, the winter solstice happened on December 25; what's even more interesting is that Christianity's main rival during its first several centuries of existence, Mithraism, was the first one to celebrate on 25 December the birth of their god. Christianity grabbed it because it had to compete.

:vlol: Good point. People close to death always describe heaven, never hell. Maybe seeing a bright light is part of the scientific process of dying?

How can it be a scientific process of dying if people from whom we hear these stories didn't die? The whole notion of "corridor of light" being an antechamber of afterlife is flawed at its very base.

American Assassin - you do realise that the more you bash people for not reading your posts the less those that do so feel like continuing?

Camera Obscura
10-04-07, 02:04
It is not the same. I am always ignored and there hasn't been a day in the last month that I have felt respected here. The truth of the matter is, I had something to say. You all are just rambling on about the same things, that you're all ignorant about. We all are. At least I attempted to put the situation into persprective. But, you wouldn't know that because none of you respect me enough to pay any attention to me. I couldn't dream of doing the same to any of you... You can all go on with your pathetic rambling now. :(

LMAO! Now you know how I feel sometimes. :vlol:

Actually you did bring up an interesting point. Whose to say that the bible we have now is accurate and reliable to the first bible made? 70-80% of today's bible is based off of what the Kings and Popes wanted us to believe and based on THEIR interpretations. I don't believe people of other moral beliefs, gender preference, or religions should be sent to hell just because a couple of people (mainly the ones who "revised" the bible) are just too simple minded and ignorant to accept the fact that mankind is diverse yet we are all equal to one another.

AnthonyShock1515
10-04-07, 02:16
This thread is mimicing the situation which is going on now.

The world is being destroyed by religion, the fact that people cannot accept each other. People spend too much time thinking new energy resources will make the world a better place and such, even if that does come for us one day, the world will be as destructive. Religions are constantly battling for becoming the majority. Christians prey on the weak and vunerable, ex-cons and drug addicts just to increase numbers, preying on children stranded in Thailand after the tsunami disaster.

Religion is tearing the world apart, regardless of it's fallacy, there's basically nothing the world can do to recover, humanity will always carry scars.

JANKERSON
10-04-07, 02:19
Yes I do. :)

The reason is that something Created the Universe and everything in it, somehow it all got started.

Some say the world is too screwed up, well God gave man free will and being what we are, humans, we are not perfect and we will make mistakes and sin etc.

Faith is very powerful for sure, and it requires focus and dedication. It's always easier to do the wrong things than it is to do the right things. The easy path is usually the wrong path while the right path is always harder and takes more effort. That is why there are crooked men (Women) and crooked rivers.

Quasimodo
10-04-07, 02:22
Yes, I believe in God.

The world isn't so bad- there's still puppies:D :o

Geck-o-Lizard
10-04-07, 02:27
It's always easier to do the wrong things than it is to do the right things.

I disagree. Are you really sure there are no cases you can think of where you'd find it easier or quicker to do the right thing?

JANKERSON
10-04-07, 02:29
I disagree. Are you really sure there are no cases you can think of where you'd find it easier or quicker to do the right thing?

In general no, but I am sure there would be few cases here and there that might be easier. Not many though. ;)

You really have to put yourself 2nd to others most of the time.

Is what you are going to do, whatever it is going to effect anyone else in a negative way, if so then it's the wrong path.

Geck-o-Lizard
10-04-07, 02:36
To go by that logic, simply existing is wrong - by having the job and house that you do have, you're denying them to someone else. And yet suicide is wrong too.

JANKERSON
10-04-07, 02:41
To go by that logic, simply existing is wrong - by having the job and house that you do have, you're denying them to someone else. And yet suicide is wrong too.

No not really, remember people have to work to make money to live, eat etc.

Now I am trying to keep the very simple and not sound preachy here....

Suicide is a sin because if you kill yourself you are killing the temple of God (Man) and you will effect someone else in a negative way. And sadly the person will go to Hell and be torn apart over and over for the rest of eternity.

If you review the 7 Deadly Sins and read what they all mean with an open mind what I have posted will make a lot more sense. :)

It's really very simple. :)

CerebralAssassin
10-04-07, 02:43
Yes I do. :)

The reason is that something Created the Universe and everything in it, somehow it all got started.

Some say the world is too screwed up, well God gave man free will and being what we are, humans, we are not perfect and we will make mistakes and sin etc.

Faith is very powerful for sure, and it requires focus and dedication. It's always easier to do the wrong things than it is to do the right things. The easy path is usually the wrong path while the right path is always harder and takes more effort. That is why there are crooked men (Women) and crooked rivers.

errr,I dunno man...you are saying that the universe necessarily had to get started by some higher being...couldn't it have just been there forever?;)

JANKERSON
10-04-07, 02:45
errr,I dunno man...you are saying that the universe necessarily had to get started by some higher being...couldn't it have just been there forever?;)

Everything had to start someplace. :D

How long is forever, there was a beginning at some point. ;)

Genocide
10-04-07, 02:47
Suicide is a sin because if you kill yourself you are killing the temple of God (Man) and you will effect someone else in a negative way.

But everything a person does in life will always affect another person negatively, and if suicide is a sin, then technically so should be un-natural death as it may not be a path god wanted you take in life, so those rules on suicide are pretty flawed.

Izzie404
10-04-07, 02:52
But everything a person does in life will always affect another person negatively, and if suicide is a sin, then technically so should be un-natural death as it may not be a path god wanted you take in life, so those rules on suicide are pretty flawed.

In my religion the only ways to die that are sins are Suicide and Euthanasia-related deaths

JANKERSON
10-04-07, 02:54
But everything a person does in life will always affect another person negatively, and if suicide is a sin, then so should be un-natural death as it may not be a path god wanted you take in life, so those rules on suicide are pretty flawed.

It is the persons choice to kill themselves, that is really the difference, now Sacrificing your life for another is a different subject and correct.

I do believe we are all here for a purpose, what that is really is between all of us and God.

Other than Murder personally I believe when it's our time to go then there is really nothing we can do to stop it. We all will die one day, when that is nobody really knows. That covers sickness, accidents etc.

CerebralAssassin
10-04-07, 02:55

outstanding logic man!!!:tmb:

Genocide
10-04-07, 02:59
One question has always bugged me about the whole god thing though
If god created the universe etc...who the hell created god?? he could'nt just 'be' he had to come from somewhere

Neteru
10-04-07, 03:01
I do not believe in god at all. Rather, I believe in a universal oneness that supercedes limited and fractured concepts such as 'god'.

Sin is an illusion.

JANKERSON
10-04-07, 03:03
One question has always bugged me about the whole god thing though
If god created the universe etc...who the hell created god?? he could'nt just 'be' he had to come from somewhere

That is the Ultimate question that man will never be able to answer.

AnthonyShock1515
10-04-07, 03:26
That is the Ultimate question that man will never be able to answer.

Maybe that's because it's not even a question.

I agree with Neteru, I think this whole sin thing is an illusion. People who are cured for cancer that believe it was god, it wasn't. The brain produced substances that can fight cancer and it is produced by feelings of hope. People who have strong hope if they suffer from cancer are likely to have submission.

Andariel
10-04-07, 03:29
I do not believe in god at all. Rather, I believe in a universal oneness that supercedes limited and fractured concepts such as 'god'.

Sin is an illusion.

Is there anything you can tell us that brought you to this belief?

2kool4u
10-04-07, 03:31
Its like do you believe iin the devil? God and the Devil both exist. The devilis punishment for the mortal sins you have commited. Do you believe in Purgatory?

JANKERSON
10-04-07, 03:32
Maybe that's because it's not even a question.

I agree with Neteru, I think this whole sin thing is an illusion. People who are cured for cancer that believe it was god, it wasn't. The brain produced substances that can fight cancer and it is produced by feelings of hope. People who have strong hope if they suffer from cancer are likely to have submission.

Sure it's a question. ;)

It all started somehow, humans have to get over the thought that we are all powerful. There is something else out there that started all of it, now what that is exactly we may never know for sure.

Quasimodo
10-04-07, 03:45
Religion and logic don't mix, folks;) You'd have better luck convincing an AOD-er that there's no hope for a trilogy than trying to argue someone into having faith, they have to seek it out for themselves. If the aim of this thread was to guage how many forum members are monotheistic, why not put up a poll and be done with it?

Neteru
10-04-07, 03:46
Is there anything you can tell us that brought you to this belief?Around twenty years of meditation.

JANKERSON
10-04-07, 03:58
Religion and logic don't mix, folks;) You'd have better luck convincing an AOD-er that there's no hope for a trilogy than trying to argue someone into having faith, they have to seek it out for themselves. If the aim of this thread was to guage how many forum members are monotheistic, why not put up a poll and be done with it?

I don't think it's about Religion really.

It's more about the belief of a Superior being IMO, that being God maybe.

Quasimodo
10-04-07, 04:10
I don't think it's about Religion really.

It's more about the belief of a Superior being IMO, that being God maybe.

I understand the distinction you're making. In that case, one could argue that something as complicated as a human being is more likely to be the result of intelligent creation rather than some lucky fluke that resulted from a primordial ooze(just imagine what a statistician would make of that!).

JANKERSON
10-04-07, 04:14
I understand the distinction you're making. In that case, one could argue that something as complicated as a human being is more likely to be the result of intelligent creation rather than some lucky fluke that resulted from a primordial ooze(just imagine what a statistician would make of that!).

Pretty much yeah. :D

I am trying not to sound preachy and keep things simple as I can. :D

erosan
10-04-07, 04:15
this world is too messed up to have a "God"
no.

Lenochka
10-04-07, 04:26
This has been a subject of deep debate for me for the last couple years... Part of me doesnt believe, then another part of me fears the idea of not believing. I think it has to do with the whole highly religious upbringing kind of thing. Its very hard to make a final decision on it... I mean I'm kind of scared to stop believing, My super religious family will be stuck with a gay who doesnt have the same beliefs as them... I don't know, maybe i just fight to keep believing in fear of disappointing them?

Jin Uzuki
10-04-07, 04:50
yes I do, no further questions

:tmb:

kewlkyle64
10-04-07, 04:58
I don't think there is a God, because thinking a single thing could watch 6 billion people and deciding whether they go to hell or heaven just isn't possible.

interstellardave
10-04-07, 04:59

Sin is an illusion.

I haven't meditated for 20 years, but your view and mine are entirely alike. We've talked briefly about this before...

Even Led Zeppelin said it... "When all are one... and one is all." ;)

ashley_taylor
10-04-07, 05:07
I was raised Catholic. I think that religion in general is so interesting. I took a class on the Philosophy of Religion and it was so amazing. I do believe in god, absolutely. Someone is looking after us. My thinking is the only reason why there is so much bad in the world is because that's how people choose to act. No one is going to force anyone else to be good and be religious. It's free will and people will do what they want. Good or bad everyone goes somewhere when they die. I don't know, it's such a sticky subject... But yes- i do believe in god.

ashley_taylor
10-04-07, 05:10
I'm just fascinated with religion. It's so interesting to learn about. How different people view the world and religion is so awesome.

ARU-lara
10-04-07, 05:16

Sin is an illusion.

Wow and did you ever read mind power into the 21st century?
That book changed my ways of thinking and you reminded me of it.

CerebralAssassin
10-04-07, 05:24
Around twenty years of meditation.

aha!!so that's yer secret ey?:mis: hehe,,having done it a few times myself,I at least know that it has some positive effects on ya!;)

I haven't meditated for 20 years, but your view and mine are entirely alike. We've talked briefly about this before...

Led Zeppelin rule!http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/CerebralAssassin1983/icon_super.gif

Neteru
10-04-07, 05:25

LOL @ the 20 years thing.

Yes, I do remember we share some similar views on this kind of thing. :)

Wow and did you ever read mind power into the 21st century?
That book changed my ways of thinking and you reminded me of it.No, I've never read that book. Never even heard of it actually. One thing I will say: No book ever made my views.

aha!!so that's yer secret ey? hehe,,having done it a few times myself,I at least know that it has some positive effects on ya!

LOL All answers are within. Or as 'Jesus' allegedly said: The kingdom of heaven is within.

Taylour
10-04-07, 05:28
I do.

Cochrane
10-04-07, 05:54
I don't. In my opinion, God, Heaven and Hell are all concepts invented by humans to explain what cannot be explained by other means (yet), and to lead people to a more ethical lifestyle. These concepts have their value, but one can live just as well without them.

EscondeR
10-04-07, 06:06
No, I don't. But I can accept other people have faith. Faith and religion have nothing in common IMO. Religion was invented by man to use (and sometimes abuse) another man :(

Mytly
10-04-07, 06:36
Actually, statisticians have no problem with it whatsoever. Given enough time (and 3.5 billion years is more than enough time), anything can happen.

And your "primordial ooze" idea is seriously naive. Do you really think that scientists believe that life began when inanimate matter suddenly got up and started crawling about? :rolleyes: The real origin is far more complex, and happened in many, many intermediate stages between non-living and living matter.

ivannnnn
10-04-07, 06:40
Yes i do...try to think,who create this universe,earth and human..that can be created by itself..it must be The Creator who creates it..
and maybe He would lead us to reach the bliss

Shark_Blade
10-04-07, 06:48
Of course I do. Things doesn't just go around making themselves exist.Someone is behind all this and there is only one truth.

Mona Sax
10-04-07, 07:03
I don't believe in god. I'd describe myself as something between an atheist and an agnostic. My parents are both moderate Christians, but they are liberal and never forced any religious teachings down my throat. I've read the bible and I've also had classes on (Christian) religion, but it's always failed to convince me. I think the scientific alternative (evolution, Big Bang) is more likely because it's pretty prosaic, based on facts and it doesn't depend on philosophic concepts. I also prefer the scientific image of humanity - we're animals, a part of nature, rather than some sort of superior god-like creatures who can do as they please with the rest of the universe.

MissCroft!
10-04-07, 07:15
Yes I do.He has already approved me that He is real.

kangaxx
10-04-07, 07:15
I Belive in God. But... Not as the "Usual one as everybody think about it"!

I am a Lamaist buddhist. For us God is the ultimate energy source where all we will "fuse with it" one day, when the "Life weel cycle" ends .
God is so far away from us in a dimensional way that he can't have a normal direct action with us, but several other reactions can reach us! a exemple of some are: His love vibration, his Compassion vibration our his Life force.(Resuming ...his energys, aka Devine emanations)
God can't be prooved in a empiric way, but we can "feel him" deep in our souls and feel his energy deep in all our body molecules if we learn how to meditate for that prupose.
This is just a "easy" explanation from a Buddhist point of vew, because God is something more complicated to explain:):hug:

Hyper_Crazy
10-04-07, 07:24
I don't believe in God.

Archetype
10-04-07, 07:47
Yes,

There has to be more to life than what we see everyday.

tomblover
10-04-07, 08:07
I don't believe in fairytales, frankly.

EDIT: KangaXX, buddhists rule! :D

Angel_14
10-04-07, 08:31
No, I don't. And it's because I grew up in a family, where no one does. (except my grandmother, who always tells me that god is going to punish me, if I don't love him)

kangaxx
10-04-07, 08:34
I don't believe in fairytales, frankly.

EDIT: KangaXX, buddhists rule! :D

:jmp: :hug:

tomblover
10-04-07, 08:35
(Except my grandmother, who always tells me that God is going to punish me, if I don't love him.) :vlol: :rolleyes:

@ KangaXX: :hug:

I live like 100 meters from a Lamaist Temple. Dalai Lama has been here quite a few times. :D

michaeldt
10-04-07, 09:03
yes I beleive in god.

Mad Tony
10-04-07, 09:04
Yep

Cord_Croft
10-04-07, 09:16
I do =)
But some things make me question that.

walk_man
10-04-07, 09:17
I'd have to say no. I was never brought up around Christians, and I don't think that I will. But I'm open to all opinions on God and other religions.

Rivendell
10-04-07, 09:56
Do I believe in God.... Not in the conventional sense no. I'll try and explain it later on.

Totally interesting and entertaining thread though :D

Alex Fly
10-04-07, 09:58
No, I don't believe in God.

CuteKittenlol
10-04-07, 10:17
Nope, not at all.

TombRaiderLover
10-04-07, 10:19
Frankly, no I don't.

xcrushterx
10-04-07, 10:20
Yes and no. I do believe, but there are many things that make me question it.

Phlip
10-04-07, 10:21
Hmm, I sort of do, I dunno... No more questions.

Kamrusepas
10-04-07, 10:28
Definitely not.

jarhead
10-04-07, 10:42
No.

scion05
10-04-07, 10:46
Hell no.
It just isn't worth it... :rolleyes:

laralauraxxx
10-04-07, 11:06
I grew up as a protestant christian but now i don't believe in god i believe in evolution and stuff and i think if there was a god why did the tsunami happen why have all these horrid hurricanes happened. I just personally think there's no one up there to look after us but i respect others views

Apofiss
10-04-07, 11:07
Pay me and I'll "believe" even in dwarfs. :whi:

Phlip
10-04-07, 11:07
I grew up as a protestant christian but now i don't believe in god i believe in evolution and stuff and i think if there was a god why did the tsunami happen why have all these horrid hurricanes happened. I just personally think there's no one up there to look after us but i respect others views

actually I agree with you very much there :)

laralauraxxx
10-04-07, 11:09
actually I agree with you very much there :)

Yeah personally i think religon is very dangerous it causes many bad things to happen thats why i choose not to beliueve in it

moodydog
10-04-07, 11:13
I , like most people, dont really have any idea if there is a G-D or not! personally, i am not religious, but i do have about 25% faith that G-D egsists! The other 75% is just getting on with life the way i would like to live it seeing friends, doing work, playing game, watching tv, on forums, doing art ect ect! I go to a religous school but dont follow the religous rules properly!

Angelx14
10-04-07, 14:38
None of us can be saved from that. It's not in God, it's in man, who has done so many bad things.. man won't stop untill he will get all what he wants.. I'm talking about all those toxic things, wars and stuff like that. So world is going down, and we all will die someday from something horrible, like earth/we won't exist anymore. I hope you get my point, cause my English isn't that good to explain all what I really want to say.;)

And yes, I do believe in God. I went to the school, where they learn you all about God.

Rickéh
10-04-07, 14:43
No. :)

Assassino
10-04-07, 14:50
I don't really know TBH...I believe more in the theory of evolution rather than a big powerful bloke randomly zapping us into existance...I do believe in heaven and hell however...just not how the Bible portrays it...[which is nonsense anyway.]
Religion has been the major cause of wars and deaths in the world, it's rediculous! Especially the so called 'Catholic' Religion, you can't believe in anything you want to anymore...

Sara Croft
10-04-07, 16:22
I dont, simply because: Women gives birth wich is also 'gives life' so IF there was a god, and if 'it' had a gender, i would call it a woman, because they give birth to life.

Also, theres too much pain in the world for me to believe in a god, also god was talking with alot of people in the old times, but now he dosent care?

...dosent make sense :)

Angelus
10-04-07, 16:42
No, I don't believe in God. Or any religion.

kill bill
10-04-07, 16:44
yes

tampi
10-04-07, 16:44
Yes, but don't ask me how is he :D

Dote
10-04-07, 17:02
I am currently reading a book entitled 'The case for a creator' by Lee Strobel, a book that looks at scientific evidence that there is a God.

Thing is, i've always been an athiest, but this book has been getting me thinking.

I'ld just like to hear about other people's opinions on the matter? Do you believe in God, and if so, why?

does he mention anything about the different religions? or what this god is supposed to be?

i dont belive in a god like someone that rules universe but i belive all living has something inside thats goes on when our body dies and we all come together somewhere. its mind boggeling when u think about it all.

Voni
10-04-07, 20:04
Has anyone seen Dogma? If you have, you'll probably remember the scene where Chris Rock tells the lead character (what WAS her name?!?) that Jesus didn't care about what religion you were, but whether you had faith or not.

I was raised Catholic too, but I didn't really think about my faith until this year, really. I think the universe was put in place some form of deity, I don't think the whole thing could have happened by chance. Whether this deity is the God I've been taught about is in question, too. I think that as humans, we can't grasp the concept of 'God' fully. Maybe we never will, although we may have a chance to when we reach the afterlife, wherever or whatever it might be.

Cochrane
10-04-07, 20:08
I grew up as a christian, and I always felt that I believe in god, but recently i read Eldest by christopher paolini, which has absolutely nothing to do with religion, and it somehow made me start doubting that there is a god...

If I may say so, the passages in Eldest that deal with this topic look like Paolini had his fair share of forum flame wars about this topic, and wrote with these experiences in mind. Obviously, his side was the atheist one.

Betal
10-04-07, 20:19
If I belive in god? No I'm a atheist.

All this with god is so stupid.

Aurimas
10-04-07, 20:21

Ampersand
10-04-07, 20:26
Yes.

And sorry, but LOL @ whoever took a Paolini book seriously. :D

MiCkiZ88
10-04-07, 20:28
Yep

But I don't beliave everything that is in the bible. Way too many versions of it.. But I beliave in supernatural stuff aswell.

Paperdoll
10-04-07, 20:30
I believe in something, a higher being if you will. But God per se? Not really. I grew up believing it but as life goes by that just fades away.

Edit:

It's not, to me at least. I should also note that I also don't believe in hell. Not mentioned in Judaism. We're more concerned with living a good life and being good to our fellow man than repenting. We do repent, that's what Yom Kippur is for but I will spend my life helping others because I want to, not because I have to in order to get into heaven.

It's a pity many religious (regardless of religion) people don't think that way :tmb:

Alive_and_Funky
10-04-07, 20:41
I believe in something, a higher being if you will. But God per se? Not really. I grew up believing it but as life goes by that just fades away.
That's similar to how I feel. Part of me thinks that there is a higher power or something out there (by "something" I mean something like the Force from Star Wars), although there is another part of me that thinks there may be nothing at all. I lean more towards the former though.

8accent8
10-04-07, 21:06
lets see, hmm, i dont think "hes" real n teh way any religion defines, uh, it. they make "him" sound like a jerk really. if theres is an all knowing god, then it would jus give us the abilities and let us be free. we hav free will ppl, so theres no "destiny" or "plan". cuz we wouldnt hav free will. the human personification of god was made for control and from laziness. "god said to do this!" and "uhh god knos evrything and god made evrything so yea thats how teh universe was created and thats life". maybe life wasnt meant to ve simplified, it it was wouldnt it be kind of boring? and science is another extreme who think evrything is based on hard facts. they cant even explain dreams. some say its an illusion. yea evry single time i close my eyes and drift to sleep i have an illusion, its all fake. NOTHINGS FAKE. its there u see it u feel it. wat love is fake now? games r fake? jus cuz it wasnt already made there. we're born and we can do so much. look at cities, look at the magical internet. look where we are. some ppl look to god for answers and things wen theyre capable of finding and getting it themselves. ive found myself breaking down sometimes and wondering wat to do, but since i hav the mentality that u can find the answer urself if u really want to i hav. and not jus some simple things, i mean break down in stress n cryin. i always find wat to do form myself and thats made me stronger n wiser and who i am 2day. i believe if u focus on somethin ull get it. which iz why praying wrks alot, ppl r kind of prayin to themselves.
sometimes ppl sorely misinterpretate things lik "seek and u shall find" many ppl dont do that. its a very tru statement, ppl say theyre christian but they jus believe that 2 stay out of trouble and usually the worst. how dou kno "god" said that. how could u just blindly believe wat ppl say. i dont hav a religion. i jus hav beliefs that i believe and learn from growing up with my eyes open and thoughts free. which iz probly y my beliefs hav a balance of spiritual and scientifical knowledge.
and another thing, i do believe in past lives. maybe thats why im so mature (from wat ive heard ppl say). and i dont lik 2 force things. like a smile or a way 2 act. things come naturally.
and yes another thing, trust ur instinct, that gut feeling could save u in many ways.

Dote
11-04-07, 08:04
if u believe in the for ex the christian god u must believe all other gods to u cant just say nah they arent real, mine is mine is:jmp: !!
besides christianity islam and jewism is the three youngest religions in the world.
in fact when christianity first emerged it stole from the greek/Roman believes
Zeus=chr. God and they took our Odin here in sweden and turn thier christian god in the same image as him too.

i Would say its all a load of crap.

kryptonite23
11-04-07, 10:57
Of course,I believe in Him.:hug:
I am 100% sure that there is God.

MillenniumMan12
17-04-07, 23:59
Of course I do! Read the Bible... there is even scientific explanation that a God exists and the Bible has true facts How did the universe come to be?

I hope that didn't sound too rude :ton:

Concerning the 'If you sin you either repent or go to Hell' thing, that is wayyyy off. God is sometimes thought to be this old guy who will condemn you if you make a mistake. However, God is loving, and wants to give everyone a chance to eternal happiness. Satan tempts us with sin. God knows that we are mortals, and that we cannot restrain ourselves sometimes. He gives us many 'second chances' to repent. It has been said that people in the Bible have converted on their deathbeds. God would not send them to Hell if they truly meant it and believed, and repented. Also, Hell is not something that the religious dwell on. We concern ourselves with living a good life; Earth is almost like preparation for Paradise God created us, and wants us to return to him at the end of our lives.

Now, concerning the thoughts that there is too much bad in the world: God gives us the freedom of choice. We couldn't all be perfect, we need to work to earn our reward (and life wouldn't be as fun, would it :) ) If we choose to do the right thing, God is happy with our choices. If we do wrong (and we know it) God is unhappy, but still loves us and is calling us to repent. Sure, everyone's gonna' die with some sins on them, but God knows we are JUST HUMAN!
Lots of people are also talking about tsunamis, hurricanes, and natural disasters. God dosen't take pleasure in watching people get killed off. He also does not do these things because people have sinned. These are natural phenomena, and the world does it on its own. God will save innocent people. He DOES NOT send people to Hell for no good reason, let alone at all we just do not get to enter Heaven, either through rejection, or through sinning.

I will argue my points to the end, as I am a devout Christian. I hope this has helped someone, or at least got one of you thinking.

MillenniumMan12
18-04-07, 00:23

Non-Christians can still go to Heaven. And Christians can go to Hell. Part of it depends on how you live your life... but not all....

Geck-o-Lizard
18-04-07, 00:29
Read the Bible... there is even scientific explanation that a God exists and the Bible has true facts

Quote some of those facts and scientific explanations for us, please?

zeemoolatoo
18-04-07, 00:31
Yes, but not the full on Christian religious way.

Gambit37
18-04-07, 00:43
Lots of people are also talking about tsunamis, hurricanes, and natural disasters. God dosen't take pleasure in watching people get killed off. He also does not do these things because people have sinned. These are natural phenomena, and the world does it on its own.
Run that one by me again? :rolleyes: If you are a Christian and believe in God, you believe he created the earth and everything in it; therefore, God created the natural order including huricances, tsunsamis, etc. Yet you say these happen on their own (ie, their causes can be explained by science and not some mystical influence). You cannot maintain these two opposing viewpoints in the same argument.

Tomb-Raider
18-04-07, 01:08
OK, just to start something else about god.

Ever heard of the ark of the covent?

EDIT: Also, I wonder f god, (if there really is one) can ready your minds. Honestly, im afraid of thinking bad things about him, or doing bad things. He might be looking down and saying, what a dork.
And if something funny happend would he laugh??

GodOfLight
18-04-07, 01:16
I think each of us is our own God to ourselves ;)

DREWY
18-04-07, 01:27
EDIT: Also, I wonder f god, (if there really is one) can ready your minds. Honestly, im afraid of thinking bad things about him, or doing bad things. He might be looking down and saying, what a dork.
And if something funny happend would he laugh??

Can't speak for God here, but this actually made me laugh. :vlol:
After the day I've had, thanx :tmb:

seth777
18-04-07, 01:37

Ditto

Tomb-Raider
18-04-07, 01:39
:mad: WTF (What the ****!) You know what beleive what you want! Good job Christian your going to heaven and, well, sorry for those unchristians your going to Hell! And yeah there is such a place!

Omg. How could you say that??? And why? What is your problem ?! :mad:

DREWY
18-04-07, 01:59
We all have our thoughts and feelings regarding these matters. Just because people don't agree with us doesn't make them wrong, just as it would be overly simple to to assume we are always right. We have to remember these things as we read other peoples responses.

Shark_Blade
18-04-07, 02:28
There is a God. There is only one truth.

HollabackBoy
18-04-07, 04:29
I'm agnostic, but I believe everyone needs some sort of faith in their lives. Faith is what keeps us going in both good and bad times. :wve:

Andromeda66
18-04-07, 04:32

Amen.

Ikas90
18-04-07, 04:51
Yes, I believe in God. I'm a Christian Orthodox, and I find topics about God very interesting. Sometimes, I read the Bible, and find out more, but I'm not really religious because I don't go to Church every Sunday. I only go during Easter and Christmas.

scoopy_loopy
18-04-07, 08:32

I actually went to church alot when I was a child, and Im not a believer at all.

Probably something to do with them answering all my questions but opening a bible and reading like the first line or close by...,"In the beginning there was god."

...'Huh, yeah, thanks for that miss.'

Quiver.
18-04-07, 08:54
I dont think there is a god, because I think the facts that scientists found out about evolution are more reliable then something written in a book called the bible

Mona Sax
18-04-07, 09:50
I dont think there is a god, because I think the facts that scientists found out about evolution are more reliable then something written in a book called the bible
To be honest, the bible doesn't rule out evolution. It only says god created all forms of life, not how he/she did it. It doesn't say anything about species not changing, either. There's a lot of scientific facts and theories the bible disagrees with, but Darwin's isn't one of them. Actually, a lot of scientists are religious.

Personally I see the bible as a philosophic work of literature, a collection of facts, stories, legends and moral advice. In no way do I think it's an accurate chronicle of historic events.

Gomes
18-04-07, 10:00
The antropromorphic God, the Father, the big eye in the sky that watches over people to see if they behave, doesn't exist. Seeking to explain existence that way is very parochial and reflects the authoritarian parenting all of us as children had throughout history.

God, as truth we have to seek to grow knowledge, improve the world and live better lives, exists.

BlackFlame
18-04-07, 10:18
In heaven the streets are made of gold and there are colours never seen. It is beautiful with animals (all kinds like tigers bears etc.) you can play with. There is going to be a thing called the after life. Everyone Christian and non-Chrstians will be there were you will have one more cahnce to except Christ. If not you will be afficialy dead. And all those Lesbians and Homoes are still sinners icluded. I hope my preachings will help someone except Christ. If not I am still happy to have shared what I knew.

You are absolutely,howling at the moon,mad....

"Beautiful with animals (all kinds like tigers bears etc.) you can play with. "

I must have missed that bit... sign me up! (animals you can play with?? How old are you?? A four year Christian extremist.....?)

Lesbians and Homoes (sic)are still sinners?

An attitude as outdated as the Bible... so fitting that it's one you hold.

Don't get your parents to sue me though.... I'll repent!

I'm probably going to get told off for being mean to the numpty.... but your opinions are so offensive that I couldn't keep quiet

I hope my preachings will help someone except Christ. If not I am still happy to have shared what I knew.

Actually, now that you mention it.... I do feel different... all warm and fluffy....

Thank you!

Quiver.
18-04-07, 11:00
In heaven the streets are made of gold and there are colours never seen. It is beautiful with animals (all kinds like tigers bears etc.) you can play with. There is going to be a thing called the after life.

I'm really wondering how you "know" this?
you've been there?

Gravastars
18-04-07, 11:13
The antropromorphic God, the Father, the big eye in the sky that watches over people to see if they behave, doesn't exist. Seeking to explain existence that way is very parochial and reflects the authoritarian parenting all of us as children had throughout history.

God, as truth we have to seek to grow knowledge, improve the world and live better lives, exists.

More like, anthropocentric, amirite?

While I couldn't exactly deny the possibility that there may be a god, I can't follow any given belief system on faith alone. There has to be satisfactory evidence, "You gotta have faith" doesn't cut it for me.

As for evidence that does try to prove existence of God, I don't really see eye-to-eye with it. The idea of 'design', for example, claims that the 'beauty of nature' is definitive proof of a designer (God). Sure, on the surface, the forest may be a perfect display of life at its most bountiful and rich, but look closer and you will find that this life thrives upon an equilibrium of parasitic infestation and decay and you begin to realise how absurd it is to think that one would design or orchestrate such a thing.

Legend 4ever
18-04-07, 11:17
No, I don't. I believe in myself!

MillenniumMan12
18-04-07, 12:04
I'm really wondering how you "know" this?
you've been there?

God gives us the free gift of faith to believe. All we have to do is accept it. And besides, living you life believing that you have something better in store, and this is just a preparation, is certainly a happy way of living life :). About the natural disasters thing that someone asked about. Yes, God created natural Earth processes. They've happened since the beginning. Ever since, the Earth causes the weather (etc.) to happen. God wants us to still be faithful and believe that he is protecting us. And no, he wouldn't kill people with a tsunami because they weren't Christian. He's not the mean figure that people think of him to be. He dosen't laugh and say you're a dork (someone said that before :lol: ) he loves you all.

(I tried my best... I'm only 13!)

Atlantean-Squid
18-04-07, 12:06
i r agnostic

Quiver.
18-04-07, 12:23
God gives us the free gift of faith to believe. All we have to do is accept it. And besides, living you life believing that you have something better in store, and this is just a preparation, is certainly a happy way of living life :). About the natural disasters thing that someone asked about. Yes, God created natural Earth processes. They've happened since the beginning. Ever since, the Earth causes the weather (etc.) to happen. God wants us to still be faithful and believe that he is protecting us. And no, he wouldn't kill people with a tsunami because they weren't Christian. He's not the mean figure that people think of him to be. He dosen't laugh and say you're a dork (someone said that before :lol: ) he loves you all.

(I tried my best... I'm only 13!)

The way you say it is much nicer then LaraCroftLuver is trying to communicate with us. thank you for that :)

I am not someone who believes in god but I respect everyone who does and doesnt. But I dont like it when someone is pushing with his arguments to make believe...

bloodstormaoa
18-04-07, 12:25
Nope, i'm agnostic:)

MillenniumMan12
18-04-07, 12:27
The way you say it is much nicer then LaraCroftLuver is trying to communicate with us. thank you for that :)

I am not someone who believes in god but I respect everyone who does and doesnt. But I dont like it when someone is pushing with his arguments to make believe...

Ok, thanks :)

I'm not trying to force anyone to believe, I just want to explain what I believe, so people don't get a skewed vision of Christianity

BlackFlame
18-04-07, 12:32

I thought the exact same thing....

Well done for communcating rather than foaming at the mouth and ranting...

Sedge
18-04-07, 12:50
I think that..
religion answers = "why",
science answers = "how".
Too lazy to explain my thoughts better than that. XD

And I agree with MillenniumMan12's nice message - that's exactly what Christianity tries to emphasize. The Bible was written by humans, I don't think people should rely on that TOO much. After all it's all about faith, faith faith faith! There isn't such a concept as "good Christian" and people can't judge others like "oh you there, you go to Heaven, oh and you belong to Hell, oh God doesn't love that person, etc etc". Those are matters between God and the person. Personal thingiepingies, yeah. It's nothing too complicated, really! :p

Oh and I believe in God. :D

Bullethail
18-04-07, 12:55
I very, very definitely believe in God.

And I agree with MillenniumMan12's nice message - that's exactly what Christianity tries to emphasize. *The Bible was written by humans, I don't think people should rely on that TOO much. **After all it's all about faith, faith faith faith! ***There isn't such a concept as "good Christian" and people can't judge others like "oh you there, you go to Heaven, oh and you belong to Hell, oh God doesn't love that person, etc etc". Those are matters between God and the person. Personal thingiepingies, yeah. ****It's nothing too complicated, really!

* The Bible was written by humans... but the real matter lies in: were these people influenced and directed by God?

** That it is. But technically, even what a die-hard atheist believes is about faith. You can read about evolution, the big bang theory and all that stuff, but it comes down to that these scientists are telling you stuff that may or may not be true! You can choose to believe them, but it's not guaranteed that it's true.

*** Of course not! Unless a Christian's belief is more ritual than faith (and pretty much dead) then that shouldn't be expected of a spritually healthy Christian.

**** So-so... Christianity, depending on how you look at it, can be amazingly simple, yet immensely complicated. There are things that some of the most experienced Christian leaders don't understand fully! The Bible really is truly amazing in it's structure... some things are pretty obvious, some perhaps not so much. At the same time, these less obvious things really come to life once you understand them.

trfan518
18-04-07, 12:57
yes, i do believe there is a God...

I believe that all this stuff like evolution and the big bang theory and stuff like that all happend, but it was God that allowed it to happen and it happend through him.

so...yes i do believe in God

MillenniumMan12
18-04-07, 13:06
I think that..
science answers = "how".
Too lazy to explain my thoughts better than that. XD

And I agree with MillenniumMan12's nice message - that's exactly what Christianity tries to emphasize. The Bible was written by humans, I don't think people should rely on that TOO much. After all it's all about faith, faith faith faith! There isn't such a concept as "good Christian" and people can't judge others like "oh you there, you go to Heaven, oh and you belong to Hell, oh God doesn't love that person, etc etc". Those are matters between God and the person. Personal thingiepingies, yeah. It's nothing too complicated, really! :p

Oh and I believe in God. :D

Nice explanation :tmb:

Gravastars
18-04-07, 13:34
I think that..
science answers = "how".

I'm not too sure about this. Unlike religion, science doesn't answer anything. Instead it asks questions. With science, there is no answer, only the endless pursuit of one. This is why so many people are comfortable with their notions of a God - because it is an easy, satisfactory answer. It gives people meaning to carry out their daily lives, to work hard and it takes weight from the burden of death- when a relative has died, it is nice to think that they are in heaven, somehow, looking down on you. These are all reasons why belief in God can be a good thing.

The fact that I don't believe in God doesn't change the compassion I feel towards the human race however. If anything it makes me more adamant to make our time here last and for it to be a prosperous existence.

You can read about evolution, the big bang theory and all that stuff, but it comes down to that these scientists are telling you stuff that may or may not be true! You can choose to believe them, but it's not guaranteed that it's true.

But it is more reliable as a theory. It asks a question, it gives evidence, it analyses this evidence with scrutiny and a conclusion is made. None of these are undertaken when religion is concerned. Religion can only try to adapt to scientific discoveries in order to stay relevant. This is why you get religious folk who believe in evolution.

Technically, the idea of god is not even a theory. Not in the same sense that, say, evolution is a theory. Yes, they can be both labelled as theories, but in different contexts.

Creation as a theory = a guess.

Evolution as a theory = a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena; "theories can incorporate facts and laws and tested hypotheses"; "true in fact and theory"