PDA

View Full Version : Industrial music?!

Aurimas
10-04-07, 13:33

Mad Tony
10-04-07, 13:42
I didn't even know there was a music genre named industrial.

CuteKittenlol
10-04-07, 13:42
I've heard of it, not entierly sure on what it is though...

interstellardave
10-04-07, 13:46
It is a wall of noise IMO...

Hybrid Soldier
10-04-07, 13:46
Hope this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_music) helps. Not too familiar with it myself..

Neteru
10-04-07, 13:48
The industrial I've heard I didn't like at all. Couldn't tell you the name of the group, this was like around 12 years ago. All I remember was that it was just horrible.

interstellardave
10-04-07, 13:50
^^^ I'll bet it was "Skinny Puppy"... that was the first "industrial music" I had ever heard of... I seriously don't think it can be defined as "music", unless music has no real definition...

MiCkiZ88
10-04-07, 13:57
There are few genres of it. Industrial Rock, Metal, and I don't know if my favourite group Infected mushroom falls in that category but I've heard it does.. Electronic industrial or something like that. We need Gecko here!

I could post links to some of the videos.. but most of them are my made.. -.-
so better not..

Neteru
10-04-07, 14:01
I'll bet it was "Skinny Puppy"Doesn't ring a bell. The people who played it to me were into everything from Led Zeppelin, to Bauhaus, to Diamanda Galas and everything else possibly obscure in between. So I was no stranger to hearing the bizarre. But whatever it was they played it was the first time I ever asked them to turn it off.

Archetype
10-04-07, 14:33
Bands like rammstein and static-x are classed as industrial metal

warped1
10-04-07, 17:44
^^^ I'll bet it was "Skinny Puppy"... that was the first "industrial music" I had ever heard of... I seriously don't think it can be defined as "music", unless music has no real definition...

First off... Skinny Puppy was pat of the "second wave" of "Industrial", combining elements of dance music... it's FAR from being just noise or anything that deserves your ignorant comments . Are you one of those people that say those sort of remarks about any "electronic music"?

Second... Jimmy page. :rofl: Maybe one needs to take from blues to be considered as a "real musician", or player of "real music"?

and...

the term "Industrial" came from a band named "Throbbing gristle". The name of their record label... "Industrial". Industrial music for an industrial generation... here is their site (this is noisy 'music")

http://www.throbbing-gristle.com/

There are many types of "industrial"... anything from experiemntal noise to EBM (the dance side) to the metal influenced stuff. Some stuff is heavy, other not so much. Some stuff is played in clubs, others... well... you know :D

warped1
10-04-07, 17:46
First off... Skinny Puppy was pat of the "second wave" of "Industrial", combining elements of dance music... it's FAR from being just noise or anything that deserves your ignorant comments . Are you one of those people that say those sort of remarks about any "electronic music"?

Second... Jimmy page. :rofl: Maybe one needs to take from blues to be considered as a "real musician", or player of "real music"?

and...

the term "Industrial" came from a band named "Throbbing gristle". The name of their record label... "Industrial". Industrial music for an industrial generation... here is their site (this is noisy 'music")

http://www.throbbing-gristle.com/

There are many types of "industrial"... anything from experiemntal noise to EBM (the dance side) to the metal influenced stuff. Some stuff is heavy, other not so much. Some stuff is played in clubs, others... well... you know :D

edit:

It is a wall of noise IMO...

I think you're just repeating what someone else told you about "industrial"

wall of noise - Phill Spector. google past the murder stuff :o

Reggie
10-04-07, 18:07
What Is Industrial?

Driven by the pummeling beats of hard rock, the grit of heavy metal and the iconoclasm of punk, a volatile collision occurred in the early '80s and became known as Industrial. Sonically, this genre often resembles the din and clanging of a factory where distortion, metallic objects, power tools and heavily tweaked electronics are aggressively fused to form some of the most caustic and extreme music ever produced.
Short bursts of distorted riffs, hammering percussion and growling vocals mark the presence of a good industrial piece where the compositional structure replicates the sounds of gears and conveyors moving systematically, abruptly and yet, violently.
Emblematic works in this genre are almost always tight, terse, and caustic, often producing a jarring effect on the nervous system.
Notable Artists: Einsturzende Neu Bauten, Front 242, Throbbing Gristle, Ministry

source: http://music.download.com/2001-10579_32-0.html?tag=MDL_nav_dir&

:)

interstellardave
10-04-07, 18:15
Hey guys... it's MY OPINION, that's why I said "IMO". Don't get your panties in a bunch! People like what they like... I've got no problem with that...

I'm just saying that any time anyone has played Industrial music for me I've hated it... it did sound like noise to me... to me. Those experiences haven't inspired me to learn more about the genre, so yeah I'm ignorant as to the origins of Skinny Puppy!

warped1
10-04-07, 23:13
Hey guys... it's MY OPINION, that's why I said "IMO". Don't get your panties in a bunch! People like what they like... I've got no problem with that...

I'm just saying that any time anyone has played Industrial music for me I've hated it... it did sound like noise to me... to me. Those experiences haven't inspired me to learn more about the genre, so yeah I'm ignorant as to the origins of Skinny Puppy!

Really?

so are you a guitar player?

interstellardave
11-04-07, 02:27
so are you a guitar player?

Only in the Guitar Hero games! :cln:

Kamrusepas
11-04-07, 02:35
I'm a fan of industrial music nowadays. It's just really hard to find a band that's actually good, most of the industrial seems to be crap, imo.

Punaxe
11-04-07, 10:16
I'm a fan of industrial music nowadays. It's just really hard to find a band that's actually good, most of the industrial seems to be crap, imo.
Try Funker Vogt.

Recommended songs:
Take Care, Words of Power (Vol. 1 1996), Maschine Zeit, Nuclear Winter, Gunman :tmb:

Kamrusepas
11-04-07, 10:23
Try Funker Vogt.

I'll give it a go, thanks :tmb: