PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your College & Further Education Plans?

AmericanAssassin
12-04-07, 22:29
As some of you have probably noticed, I've been absent from the forums a lot lately. That is because I've been working on my school grades, in hopes that I can get into a decent college. And, eventually, film school, where I hope to study in film history and production. Believe me, I know I have my future plans set high, but with hard work and determination, I believe that I'll get there someday. It's the only option for me. It's my passion. Anyway, my reason for opening this thread is to discuss (not just name) the college of your choice and what you hope to major in. Also, what you want to do with your life after your education?

For those of you members who are past college age or are currently attending, tell us what your current life is like or what you studied in and why you chose it. Also, what do you see for your future?

For those of you who aren't sure what you want to do, I'd recommend checking out CollegeBoard.com (http://www.collegeboard.com/), where I'm currently planning out my future. Registration is free and the site is official, so none of your personal information will get out. Good luck to all of you and I hope all of our futures can be bright ones! :)

Another Lara
12-04-07, 22:38
Well I graduated last year with a BA degree in General Archaeology which I studied at University College London... I've been looking for work for nearly a year, but no one seems to want to hire me, which I find really frustrating and quite depressing!:hea:
Once I eventually get a job, I plan to work for a few years just to get my head round what I really want to do:
My main plan at the mo is to go back to UCL and get an MA in Museum Studies; which I will then use to get work out in Crete where I plan to move to in the near future.

But until I get a job sorted, nothing's certain at the mo!:confused:

bett
12-04-07, 22:39
Good luck, AmericanAssassian.

I'm finishing up my first year of college at Morehead State University, majoring in Communications/Journalism with a minor in Sociology. After I graduate I hope to move away from here and write for a big paper or something.

viper456
12-04-07, 22:40
get drunk :D

lol no not really. I have done my A levels. Currently doing a foundation course in art and design and next year im doing computer game design at uni :tmb: cant wait!

erosan
12-04-07, 22:52
I'm finishing high school soon, And i see myself go into art. Im a BIG art person.
ANyway, im probablly going to Emily Karr or Art institute here in Van... and study Game Design and Animation....so il prolly get a job as a game designer some day ^_^ its good payed too

jamieoliver22
12-04-07, 22:53
I am going to staying onto our Sixth Form College - Not long now =\

MiCkiZ88
12-04-07, 23:01
No plans really. Just of to boot camp for six moths after I finish highschool :rolleyes: And then back to normal life.. trying to find a good place to study. Maybe film studies..

AmericanAssassin
12-04-07, 23:09
Well I graduated last year with a BA degree in General Archaeology which I studied at University College London... I've been looking for work for nearly a year, but no one seems to want to hire me, which I find really frustrating and quite depressing!:hea:
Once I eventually get a job, I plan to work for a few years just to get my head round what I really want to do:
My main plan at the mo is to go back to UCL and get an MA in Museum Studies; which I will then use to get work out in Crete where I plan to move to in the near future.

Interesting. I've always thought that would be an amazing thing to study. I hope you get the job you've always dreamed of. :)

I'm finishing up my first year of college at Morehead State University, majoring in Communications/Journalism with a minor in Sociology. After I graduate I hope to move away from here and write for a big paper or something.

Wow. The other end of the career spectrum. I've always enjoyed journalism, except my teacher is a bit of a... how about I stop myself and wish you luck! ;)

get drunk :D

lol no not really. I have done my A levels. Currently doing a foundation course in art and design and next year im doing computer game design at uni :tmb: cant wait!

Lol... I had hoped you were joking. Not that that's out of the question. Most college kids do so once or twice. I hope you can make it as a game designer. Maybe you can work for CD and straighten Tomb Raider out for us. :p

I'm finishing high school soon, And i see myself go into art. Im a BIG art person. ANyway, im probablly going to Emily Karr or Art institute here in Van... and study Game Design and Animation....so il prolly get a job as a game designer some day ^_^ its good payed too

Another hardcore game, eh? Well, I hope you make it and, as for art, that's something I am very passionate about too. Expressing yourself is the best feeling. :D

I am going to staying onto our Sixth Form College - Not long now =\

What's that? Whatever the case, I hope you are successful! :)

No plans really. Just of to boot camp for six moths after I finish highschool :rolleyes: And then back to normal life.. trying to find a good place to study. Maybe film studies..

Lol... aren't too excited, are you? Oh well, at least when you get back you'll have clean slate. Everything will be yours for the taking. Cheer up! :hug:

2kool4u
12-04-07, 23:11
i want to become a doctor so i am already starting to look fo a good medical school. I want to specialize in plastic Surgery have my work cut out for me.

MiCkiZ88
12-04-07, 23:13
Lol... aren't too excited, are you? Oh well, at least when you get back you'll have clean slate. Everything will be yours for the taking. Cheer up! :hug:

Lamo.. Not really! Ah well.. atleast it's easier these days :whi:

I suppose you'r right. Meh.. Screw worring about stuff. It's a bad habit. I hope your studies go well! And thanks for trying to cheer me up :hug:

xMiSsCrOfTx
12-04-07, 23:14
Well, I graduate at the end of May, so I'm excited summer's here. :D After summer I plan on going to a community college until I can get my GPA up a bit more(community colleges are WAY cheaper, too). I really want to be a high school english teacher, or a psychiatrist/social worker.

Then after I take my basic courses at the community college, I might go to a university in Chicago. I really don't want to leave the state.

Forwen
12-04-07, 23:15
Plans? Get out and not look back.

the hooliganz
12-04-07, 23:16
i going to college/high school next year, i still don't have any plans

AmericanAssassin
12-04-07, 23:24
i want to become a doctor so i am already starting to look fo a good medical school. I want to specialize in plastic Surgery have my work cut out for me.

Where's xMiSsCrOfTx to make a Nip/Tuck comment when you need one? Lol... I hope you make it. I know it can get really competitive! :D

I suppose you'r right. Meh.. Screw worring about stuff. It's a bad habit. I hope your studies go well! And thanks for trying to cheer me up :hug:

There you go, the bright side. It's always the best way to look at things. I can't imagine what it would be like to be forced into the army, military, or anything of that sort. I wish you all the best. ;)

Well, I graduate at the end of May, so I'm excited summer's here. :D After summer I plan on going to a community college until I can get my GPA up a bit more(community colleges are WAY cheaper, too). I really want to be a high school english teacher, or a psychiatrist/social worker.

Then after I take my basic courses at the community college, I might go to a university in Chicago. I really don't want to leave the state.

I may need to do the same. My GPA is extremely low and if I want to fulfill my dreams, I might do the same. :)

Plans? Get out and not look back.

Lol... don't you want to be something? I mean, getting out is good (I'll be going to California), but what is it that you want to do when you "get out"? :o

i going to college/high school next year, i still don't have any plans

No plans, huh? Don't you have a passion? Something you just can't live without? If so, that's what you need to go after. It's just that easy. I've known what I wanted to do since I was like 11. :p

Forwen
12-04-07, 23:28
Lol... don't you want to be something? I mean, getting out is good (I'll be going to California), but what is it that you want to do when you "get out"? :o

Fulfill my dreams ;) Schooling only gets in the way.

AmericanAssassin
12-04-07, 23:31
Fulfill my dreams ;) Schooling only gets in the way.

That still leaves several questions: What are your dreams? Why are they your dreams? And, what are you going to do about to fulfill those dreams?

Even if you don't plan on future schooling, you must still have plans. What are they? I'm curious. ;)

Forwen
12-04-07, 23:39
Even if you don't plan on future schooling, you must still have plans. What are they? I'm curious. ;)

I prefer to keep those few long shot ones to myself in case they misfire ;) I'll just say that there's not a single school in vicinity there.

bett
12-04-07, 23:40
Wow. The other end of the career spectrum. I've always enjoyed journalism, except my teacher is a bit of a... how about I stop myself and wish you luck! ;)

:) Thanks. My journalism professor treats us more like journalists than journalism students so it gets a bit rough sometimes. Someone left a comment on RateMyProfessor that she was they reason they were now a Vet-Tech major, lol

Punaxe
13-04-07, 00:10
I'll keep it short... I'm currently in my second year of Industrial Design bachelor. In 2008 I hope to graduate as a B.Sc. of Industrial Design with a Honours Certificate I'm currently doing projects and classes for as well.
After that I'm thinking about something like a master in Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors or something like that...

Izzie404
13-04-07, 00:26
I'm thinking of going into something involving computers/video game development...I don't know what term that is: Computer Programming?? Because I want to work at something like...Crystal Dynamics, ;):D

Mr.Burns
13-04-07, 00:45
@AA: I graduated in 2003 with a BFA (Bacholers of Fine Arts) in Film Production and a focus on cinematography. It's a very hard business to get into but if you have the determination and energy, you can make it. The best advice I can suggest for you is to look at different colleges that offer film programs. You should look for one that has a curriculum that will best suite your needs. You don't have to go to the best school out there, just find one with a decent program and is preferably close to a major city. There's nothing wrong with going to a big name film school but if you go to a smaller school with a decent program, you can get more one on one time with your professors and an easier time getting equipment. I had a friend of mine who transfered to NYU and would have to wait weeks on a list to check out equipment. At my school, as long as I gave them a couple day's notice, I could get whatever I needed and the professors were always willing to help out on set if needed. Have you had any thoughts as to where you wanted to go?

AmericanAssassin
13-04-07, 00:50
@AA: I graduated in 2003 with a BFA (Bacholers of Fine Arts) in Film Production and a focus on cinematography. It's a very hard business to get into but if you have the determination and energy, you can make it. The best advice I can suggest for you is to look at different colleges that offer film programs. You should look for one that has a curriculum that will best suite your needs. You don't have to go to the best school out there, just find one with a decent program and is preferably close to a major city. There's nothing wrong with going to a big name film school but if you go to a smaller school with a decent program, you can get more one on one time with your professors and an easier time getting equipment. I had a friend of mine who transfered to NYU and would have to wait weeks on a list to check out equipment. At my school, as long as I gave them a couple day's notice, I could get whatever I needed and the professors were always willing to help out on set if needed. Have you had any thoughts as to where you wanted to go?

You always have good advice, Mr. Burns. :D I've considered many colleges: NYU, UCLA, USC, but I know I don't have the grades for such schools, so I'm kind of clueless as to where I want to go. I read that there's a good film school in Boston that I might have a chance at, so I might check that out. Where did you go, Mr. Burns?

Mr.Burns
13-04-07, 01:36
You always have good advice, Mr. Burns. :D I've considered many colleges: NYU, UCLA, USC, but I know I don't have the grades for such schools, so I'm kind of clueless as to where I want to go. I read that there's a good film school in Boston that I might have a chance at, so I might check that out. Where did you go, Mr. Burns?

Long Island University at the CWPost campus. Thankfully it was in the New York area so I had access to more rental facilities and actors. I didn't have the grades either but I still managed to get in. It's a smaller program but as I understand it, they've grown in the past few years. Good program, with a focus on theory, criticism and editing. At the time it's cinematography program left much to be desired but again, they expanded. The three schools you suggested are the top ones in the industry and are very hard to get into which is why I suggested looking into other schools as well. There's a great program at the local tech school here, Rochester Institute of Technology. It's more of a film and animation program but it's a very well known school. I'm not suggesting you go here but it just goes to show that there are good film schools in cities other than NY and LA.

Ikas90
13-04-07, 01:43
I don't have the faintest idea of what's ahead of me. I'm not doing well at school, so it's going to be extremely difficult. I don't even know what I would like to be.

At the end of this year, I'm going to Greece. When I come back a year later, then that's when I'll be starting University or some kind of college. So I have a year to decide what I want to be.

AmericanAssassin
13-04-07, 01:44
@ Mr. Burns: I'm not saying I'm going to make any decision now, but I definately plan on looking at the school you went to. I see there's a branch in Brooklyn too... hmmm...

@ Ikas90: Greece, huh? That sounds like fun! :D

Mr.Burns
13-04-07, 01:55
@AA: Yea, not sure what the Brooklyn campus offers. It's a good school with a good staff. I merely suggest it as an alternative and of course I'm suggesting you go there. It was a good experience for me but it may not be the best for you. Just take a good look around and see if you can find a school that has what you need. Just remember, you're better off going to school for film that is at least relatively close to a big city, you'll have access to more resources. Here's the site to RIT's school for Film and animation (http://cias.rit.edu/%7Esofa/).

@Saki: you never know what might happen in the next year or so.

Ikas90
13-04-07, 02:00
@ Ikas90: Greece, huh? That sounds like fun! :D

I hope it'll be fun... It'll be a good way to get my mind off things! :D

@Saki: you never know what might happen in the next year or so.

I guess you're right. Anything can happen, but I'm just worried, "What if nothing happens?" :D

domina
13-04-07, 02:16
I'm about to finish my sophomore year of college. I'm working on getting a BA in English, and honestly, that's about my only "future" goal for the moment. I'll more than likely go to graduate school to get my master's degree which will prolong entering the real world for another year or so. :D Still have no concrete idea of what sort of career I want.

Voni
13-04-07, 11:09
I don't have the faintest idea of what's ahead of me. I'm not doing well at school, so it's going to be extremely difficult. I don't even know what I would like to be.

At the end of this year, I'm going to Greece. When I come back a year later, then that's when I'll be starting University or some kind of college. So I have a year to decide what I want to be.

Don't worry about the school situation. Just do the best you can, and if it still doesn't go well, you can always come back to your studies at a later date. After you leave school that isn't it, you have more chances!

I left school at 18 after getting my 3 A Levels (none of them amazing, the highest grade I got was a C), and got a job as a waitress for six months. Then I joined a major car insurance company, working in their call centre for 18 months. IT WAS HELL. I took the job on because I had no idea what I wanted to do in life, or at least I thought I didn't.

I then left to take up a voluntary placement in Staffordshire, as a youth worker. It's a one year placement, so I'll leave in July. I'm hoping that I'll get into uni (I have an interview next week) to do teacher training in September.

Anyway: my plan:

I'm going to do my teacher training as a back up plan. As back up plans go, it's not a bad one, as I enjoy working with children and I reckon I'd like it. What I really, really want to be is a novelist. However, I know this is insane and/or amazingly unlikely, so hence the teacher training course!

Andromeda66
13-04-07, 11:19
I graduate this year (Bachelor's is three years here as opposed to four in some western countries) with my main subject being Computer science.

I intend to do my masters either in Bioinformatics or Behavioural sciences. Still not decided though.

laralauraxxx
13-04-07, 11:20
I'm still in secondary school :( but i want to go to six form go to uni and work in IT !!! yay

scoopy_loopy
13-04-07, 11:25
Im currently in year 11. I hope to go to sydney university to do Architecture or Medicine.
http://photos21.flickr.com/25154865_e39b7f6440.jpg

Or somewhere in New York. I feel a calling to the city.

Another Lara
13-04-07, 13:52
Interesting. I've always thought that would be an amazing thing to study. I hope you get the job you've always dreamed of. :)

Thanks! But I know it won't happening the country I'm in at the moment.. too many people are interested in the subject and know people in the right places to get them the job! Qualifications in the field of archaeology don't matter when you don't have money and contacts! It's hard not to feel like it's a bloody waste of three years and £7,000 of debt!:(

Crete looks even better when I think of my prospects in England!:jmp:

rejectedpunk9
13-04-07, 13:58
i have absolutely no idea what i want to be. and at school they have just thrown me into retail for work experience :hea: i wanted to go work somewhere like gamestation on chips:D haha

Lew
13-04-07, 14:20
I want to have the summer off, maybe get a job, then go to college and maybe university studying either, drama, journalism, advertising or something with computers, anyway to get rich really xD

Mad Tony
13-04-07, 14:30
I'm still not sure whether to go into banking or computers when I leave school. As I'm both good at maths and with computers. And I would have a good opportunity with both fields because I live close to London. But I will go to college after I leave school.

Lara Croft!
13-04-07, 17:00
I'm in university,studying English literature and I want after I graduate to teach English in private and public schools!

AmericanAssassin
13-04-07, 21:46
I want to have the summer off, maybe get a job, then go to college and maybe university studying either, drama, journalism, advertising or something with computers, anyway to get rich really xD

Jeez... you sure named a range of things. I think it's good to be so passionate about that many things. I wish you luck in the future. ;)

Lew
13-04-07, 22:08
Jeez... you sure named a range of things. I think it's good to be so passionate about that many things. I wish you luck in the future. ;)

Thanks :D I wish you good luck too. Well it helps in case something goes wrong in one thing you can always move on to the next thing.

AmericanAssassin
14-04-07, 17:38
i have absolutely no idea what i want to be. and at school they have just thrown me into retail for work experience :hea: i wanted to go work somewhere like gamestation on chips:D haha

Name something that you're passionate about. That's what you should do. Work should never be boring. ;)

I'm still not sure whether to go into banking or computers when I leave school. As I'm both good at maths and with computers. And I would have a good opportunity with both fields because I live close to London. But I will go to college after I leave school.

It's good that you have the resources. Unfortunately, I have nothing that involves film to do here in Indiana, USA... :)

I'm in university,studying English literature and I want after I graduate to teach English in private and public schools!

Literature, huh? I hope to take some of those classes too. I love books! :D

Tthe Spirit
14-04-07, 18:59
I still have one year to count so i get my diploma certificate in Agronomy and Architectural Landscape...

then, hopefully, along with a job i'll continue my masters in aromatic and medicinal plants...

Assassino
14-04-07, 19:25
Leicester Uni to study dance...get a degree...get some auditions...perform...teach...get old and chill:)

Tomb Raider Jay
14-04-07, 21:45
I'm at college studying hairdressing, back when I was 16 I wanted to do something in art and design or something creative with my hands - so I did art at college for 3 years but I prefer my own style of drawing and painting... in college its always "now draw this plant" :hea:

So I took a year out of study then decided to reaply for college, this time I thought I'd try hairdressing, I love and I know this is the right choice of career for me :)

I'll go back to art eventually though - I love it too much to stay away :D

knutroald
14-04-07, 21:53
I'm only thirteen, so I don't really know yet.. But art sounds fun, or maybe movie directing? I've always loved making movies since I was eight:D

But one thing I'm not looking forwards too is the military, I'm just not that kinda person at all:( I don't wanna earn how to kill people, wish it was against my religion or something so I wouldn't have to go...

AmericanAssassin
15-04-07, 00:11
I still have one year to count so i get my diploma certificate in Agronomy and Architectural Landscape...

then, hopefully, along with a job i'll continue my masters in aromatic and medicinal plants...

Cool. I don't know what Agronomy is, but I wish you luck and hope you're happy! :)

Leicester Uni to study dance...get a degree...get some auditions...perform...teach...get old and chill:)

Lol... you have your life mapped out I see. Good luck with dacne! ;)

I'm at college studying hairdressing, back when I was 16 I wanted to do something in art and design or something creative with my hands - so I did art at college for 3 years but I prefer my own style of drawing and painting... in college its always "now draw this plant" :hea:

So I took a year out of study then decided to reaply for college, this time I thought I'd try hairdressing, I love and I know this is the right choice of career for me :)

I'll go back to art eventually though - I love it too much to stay away :D

I hope you're happy and I wish you luck in your future art desires, since it appears you still want to go fo it! :D

I'm only thirteen, so I don't really know yet.. But art sounds fun, or maybe movie directing? I've always loved making movies since I was eight:D

Filmmaking is amazing. I can't wait to bust out of my town and try to make it big in the biz. Good luck possible future apponent! :p