PDA

View Full Version : Extracting FMVs From A Game... Is It Possible?

AmericanAssassin
14-04-07, 00:04
Is it possible to extract FMVs from the original Tomb Raider game. I don't want to download the files because I don't want my videos tagged by other sites. So, is it? Thanx.

MiCkiZ88
14-04-07, 00:06
I think you can do it.. atleast I did it with tr4.. There should be a folder on the disk that contains them. I can't remember about the first one though. You may need a converter aswell since the videos are in a differend format.

just put the disc in, open it from your computer and drag the fmv files from it

AmericanAssassin
14-04-07, 00:50
Well, is there a site that I can download the FMVs without the tags? That's my problem with downloading stuff from tombraiderchronicles.com. I don't like the tags...

MiCkiZ88
14-04-07, 00:53
Not that I know.. all the sites I know have banners on videos.

gtkilla
14-04-07, 00:56
I didn't really extract it, but I was able to put AOD in my PC and watch all of the FMVs. All you'd have to do is rip them yourself and then convert them.

Ward Dragon
14-04-07, 00:57
Well, is there a site that I can download the FMVs without the tags? That's my problem with downloading stuff from tombraiderchronicles.com. I don't like the tags...

I downloaded all of the FMV's from TRC. If I remember correctly, the tag is below the actual video. It's still highly visible, but it doesn't obscure the FMV's.

AmericanAssassin
14-04-07, 00:59
I didn't really extract it, but I was able to put AOD in my PC and watch all of the FMVs. All you'd have to do is rip them yourself and then convert them.

How do I do that?

I downloaded all of the FMV's from TRC. If I remember correctly, the tag is below the actual video. It's still highly visible, but it doesn't obscure the FMV's.

If that's the case, is there a way to delete the tag? Is that illegal?

MiCkiZ88
14-04-07, 01:01
How do I do that?

If that's the case, is there a way to delete the tag? Is that illegal?

1. just copy paste from the disc :)

2. Cropping the video. But asfar as I remember the banners are on the video :confused:

gtkilla
14-04-07, 01:02
How do I do that?

Drag'n Drop the files from the disc to your HDD.

If that's the case, is there a way to delete the tag? Is that illegal?I don't think TRC has any copyright over the material they have, I could be wrong though... You can always crop out the tag from the video.

EDIT: Looks like I'm too late. :p MiCkZ88 posted before me.

Izzie404
14-04-07, 01:10
But you must remember that you need a special player for FMV's, but I can't remember what it is

AmericanAssassin
14-04-07, 01:14
Does anybody know of a free program to convert video files from .rpl to .wmv?

Hyper_Crazy
14-04-07, 01:16
I could do it for you, or could could use this: http://www.imtoo.com/mpeg-encoder.html

It can only encode 5 minute long videos, but if you buy it there is no limit.

tombfan91
14-04-07, 01:16
what tomb raider version are you extracting from? ps1 or pc?

AmericanAssassin
14-04-07, 01:19
I could do it for you, or could could use this: http://www.imtoo.com/mpeg-encoder.html

It can only encode 5 minute long videos, but if you buy it there is no limit.

I'll try that. Thanx. ;)

what tomb raider version are you extracting from? ps1 or pc?

PC Tomb Raider Gold

tombfan91
14-04-07, 01:34
o i'm sorry :(. i only know how to rip ps1 and ps2 fmv's

Izzie404
14-04-07, 01:50
I believe there is a program on TRC.com (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/tombraiderchronicles.com) that you can use to play fmv files...

Update: I found something that I believe you can use:

» ESCAPEplay (Download (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/escape_player.zip) - Freeware)
If you are having trouble viewing the FMV (Full Motion Video) files or wish to see them again, download this FMV player. Set your desktop colour depth to 16bit otherwise the application will crash.

Lara Croft!
14-04-07, 02:15
Why don't you use Fraps?I use it and it's great! http://www.fraps.com/download.php

From the sites main page

Realtime Video Capture Software - Have you ever wanted to record video while playing your favourite game? Come join the Machinima revolution! Throw away the VCR, forget about using a DV cam, game recording has never been this easy! Fraps can capture audio and video up to 2560x1600 on dual-core CPUs (1152x864 single-core) at up to 100 frames per second!

All movies are recorded in outstanding quality. If you have Windows Media Player please sample some of the movies captured with Fraps below:

Izzie404
14-04-07, 03:37
Why don't you use Fraps?I use it and it's great!

But doesn't that only record up to 30 second clips?

AmericanAssassin
14-04-07, 04:21
o i'm sorry :(. i only know how to rip ps1 and ps2 fmv's

That would be better actually. How does that work?

Ward Dragon
14-04-07, 06:36
But doesn't that only record up to 30 second clips?

Yes, it records 30 second clips until you buy it, then there's no limit (I still have the trial version).

tomblover
14-04-07, 07:34
Yes, it records 30 second clips until you buy it, then there's no limit (I still have the trial version). And it leaves a tiny Fraps logo in the top of the window.

Mad Tony
14-04-07, 09:43
There's a program that can rip and convert them called PsxMC (it's a trial version but it lasts for 30 days so that should be enough). But I don't have a link. Sorry. :wve:

Reggie
14-04-07, 10:10
I uploaded a few cutscenes on Youtube but other than that I don't know any other way. Would be good if people had better access.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ffacr

Edit: Just read Mytly's post. I should know better than to confuse cutscenes with FMVs >.<

Mytly
14-04-07, 21:54
Is it possible to extract FMVs from the original Tomb Raider game. I don't want to download the files because I don't want my videos tagged by other sites. So, is it? Thanx.
First of all, I assume you want the FMVs only, not the cutscenes (there's a difference). If so, the FMVs of TRs 1-3 are in .rpl format and can be played with Escape Play (Izzie404 linked to the download site). The ones for TR4 & TRC are in .bik format, and there is also a player for them (I have forgotten its name at the moment :o). The AoD FMVs can be played through Windows Media Player. Legend, of course, doesn't have FMVs, except the title video and the Deaths video - both are in .bik format. All the FMVs will be on the game disc, usually in a folder titled "FMV" - simply open it in Windows Explorer and you can see the files.
If you want to see the cutscenes as well, it's not possible to extract them from the game. But you can find some (very few) cutscenes on YouTube, or you can record them yourself from the game.

AmericanAssassin
15-04-07, 01:51
Okay, I think I can figure out the FMVs, but how do I record the cutscenes myself?

Izzie404
15-04-07, 01:54
So, are you saying, now, recording from the PC version, or from the PS version?

AmericanAssassin
15-04-07, 02:02
So, are you saying, now, recording from the PC version, or from the PS version?

Either. Whichever is the easiest. I have both. I'm so confused. I downloads Frapps and ESCAPEplay and I don't understand them. I can hear the FMVs with ESAPEplay, but I can only see the beginning frame of video for all of them...

Hyper_Crazy
15-04-07, 02:10
But the files on Putfile (putfile.com.), and I'll encode them for you.

AmericanAssassin
15-04-07, 02:11
But the files on Putfile (putfile.com.), and I'll encode them for you.

Will I just send you the links?

Hyper_Crazy
15-04-07, 02:11
PM the with links or something. XD

Izzie404
15-04-07, 02:12
Well, if you tried ESCAPEplay, make sure you do this
Set your desktop colour depth to 16bit otherwise the application will crash.

AmericanAssassin
15-04-07, 02:21
Will I just send you the links?

PM the with links or something. XD

I created a Putfile account. Every time I sign on, it says ERROR and my browser closes. Is there a different site like that that I could use?

Hyper_Crazy
15-04-07, 02:22
http://www.megaupload.com

AmericanAssassin
15-04-07, 02:27
I created a Putfile account. Every time I sign on, it says ERROR and my browser closes. Is there a different site like that that I could use?

Ditto that, but replace Putfile with MegaUpload...

Well, if you tried ESCAPEplay, make sure you do this

After I do that, how do I record the videos?

Izzie404
15-04-07, 02:46
Oh, I'm not sure if you can record the videos from that :( Sry...But you could always use CAMStudio (http://www.camstudio.org/) to record everything from your screen, but it's a little irritating to start... You actually have to tell it to record audio from your speakers or from your microphone [if you want audio]