PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials

Lara Coft Baby
29-04-07, 20:28
Dose any one know or could make me a good tutorial to give my rooms more shape?? Cause my rooms are too boxy, I am making the first level of my game. Which is London and it really dont look like London. I need some help giving my rooms more shape and making them look like, London, Egypt, and Paris. [Which are the three places that take place in :p ] :D

Is there any thing in the manual that will help?? I looked and I didnt see any thing. So I dont know if I missed any thing :vlol:

Thanks in advance :hug:

Izzie404
29-04-07, 20:40
You could always make the fancy ziggurat (sp?) ceiling that is used in the primary tutorial.

Lara Coft Baby
29-04-07, 20:44
You could always make the fancy ziggurat (sp?) ceiling that is used in the primary tutorial.
Where exactly would I find that?? :)

Zig
29-04-07, 21:11
HI

Try raising/lowering some blocks on the corner, make some slopes, add some walls( darker green buttom), try to use the triangles.
The ziggurat is in page 11.

Lara Coft Baby
29-04-07, 21:24
ah thanks :hug: any more tips?? I could use'em :vlol: I want this game to be so good I want it to be really successful :jmp: my other level "Hells nightmare" really wasnt :(

:cln: :p :D

Titak
29-04-07, 21:57
Try to imagine the things you could find in a city like London.
Balconies, streets with sidewalks (the sidewalk part could be raised one click to make it a ledge, like with a real sidewalk), stores with billboards, river/canals, a park, garages, fences, porticos, smaller buildings/taller buildings, a contruction site, a church, a bridge, small alleys, slanted roofs, flat roofs, etc.

It always helps me to imagine these kinds of things. It helps me to picture the rooms I want to build. :D

Izzie404
29-04-07, 22:14
Jeez, Titak, you really thought those out, didn't you :D.

The Ziggurat Ceiling was used in the first room of the tutorial project that was built using the TRLE manual

This is how they say you make it

The Stepped (ziggurat) Ceiling

1. Turn 2D MAP and FACE EDIT buttons OFF.
2. Go to the PLAN VIEW grid, select the center 2x2 squares of your room. Now click the CEILING + button twice (or you can press the "W" key on your keyboard). Check the numbers in the ROOM INFO BOX below the EDITOR WINDOW. Your ceiling height should read 22.
3. Select the center 4x4 squares, raise them by 2 clicks.
4. Select the center 6x6 squares, raise them by 2 clicks.
5. You should now have a room with a stepped ceiling 26 clicks tall.
That's too tall, so let's reduce it.
6. On the PLAN VIEW grid, select all of the light blue squares. (DON'T select any of the gray "wall squares")
7. Press the CEILING "-" button (or the "S" key on your keyboard) 8 times. This will lower the entire ceiling without disturbing the step effect.
8. The height of your room should now be 18 clicks.

Lara Coft Baby
29-04-07, 22:39
@Izzie404: thanks :hug: I think I may do that

@Titak: Wow thanks I never would have thought of that. :D

Zig
30-04-07, 00:14
[QUOTE=Lara Coft Baby;1771121]ah thanks :hug: any more tips?? I could use'em :vlol: I want this game to be so good I want it to be really successful :jmp: my other level "Hells nightmare" really wasnt :(

Really?The next tip will require you to decipher a difficult puzzle:
R_ _ d t_ _ M _ n _ _ l

Lara Coft Baby
30-04-07, 00:23
[QUOTE=Lara Coft Baby;1771121]ah thanks :hug: any more tips?? I could use'em :vlol: I want this game to be so good I want it to be really successful :jmp: my other level "Hells nightmare" really wasnt :(

R_ _ d t_ _ M _ n _ _ l

?? :vlol:

Izzie404
30-04-07, 00:24
:vlol: was that really necessary? :vlol:

dreamsoflara
30-04-07, 00:37
:vlol: was that really necessary? :vlol:

I dunno, but it was funny hehe

Anyway, i suggest that you get some pictures, maybe from google, of the places that you want to re-create

its helps me when im building as i can see how things are really constructed and it also helps with a sence of scale,

you can build things around lara,

also you could maybe download other peoples levels and see how theyve built and what tactics and tips the levels themselves could give you

Izzie404
30-04-07, 00:52
Yea, that's a good idea that I think I'll try for my next level

Welcome to TRF, DreamsOfLara! :wve:

Lara Coft Baby
30-04-07, 00:55
[QUOTE=Lara Coft Baby;1771121]
R_ _ d t_ _ M _ n _ _ l

Umm I think i just now realized what that said :vlol: OMFG!! I am slow :vlol:

Izzie404
30-04-07, 00:59
lmao... maybe the spacing should be better

R _ _ d
t _ _
M _ n _ _ l

That was really slow... :vlol:

Lara Coft Baby
30-04-07, 01:07
lmao... maybe the spacing should be better

R _ _ d
t _ _
M _ n _ _ l

That was really slow... :vlol:

:vlol: it dose say 'Read the Manual" right?? :cln: :jmp:

Izzie404
30-04-07, 01:49
yes...:vlol:
what else could it mean? :D

Lara Coft Baby
30-04-07, 02:32
yes...:vlol:
what else could it mean? :D

:vlol: I dont know im not good at puzzles like that :vlol: I have i not mentioned i am slow?? :p

Izzie404
30-04-07, 04:34
Here, try to figure this one out :p;) : H _ e _ l _ :D

Zig
01-05-07, 13:12
I think rooms made with this editor will most often look somewhat blocky, but you can adorn them with objects.Look for pictures as someone else's said and choose your textures with care.To me, city leves are more difficult because tomb raider was not created for that purpose and it's hard to make them look realistic. In my oppinion, for London and Paris, besides your personal choice of generic textures, look for some good fašades, windows, doors, roof, tapestries textures and remember that good static objects exist not only on TRsearch, but also in many original wads( tr3 london, tr 5 for cities for example).

Here is a link with many pictures of London.

http://www.earth-photography.com/Countries/England/London_photos.html

hope this helps..:wve:

Lara Coft Baby
01-05-07, 17:45
Here, try to figure this one out :p;) : H _ e _ l _ :D
I have no idea :vlol:

Here is a link with many pictures of London.

http://www.earth-photography.com/Countries/England/London_photos.html

hope this helps..:wve:

Izzie404
02-05-07, 01:45
I have no idea :vlol:

o god: it would help if I typed it correctly. [:hea:] H _ l _ o... durh...stupid me...:hea:

Lara Coft Baby
02-05-07, 01:48
o god: it would help if I typed it correctly. [:hea:] H _ l _ o... durh...stupid me...:hea:

:vlol: im guessing hello ?? :p

Any ways back on topic, any more tips tutorials would help :D

Izzie404
02-05-07, 02:51
Yea, sorry I swayed this convo a little bit :wve:
As you were...