PDA

View Full Version : Building an SLI PC...

jackali
05-05-07, 15:29
Hi, I'm going to build a PC.
I was just wondering if you could offer me any advice (such as better components to use etc.), tell me about any compatibility issues and such.

these are the components I'm ordering, unless there are changes to be made:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67 GHz
ASUS Striker Extreme Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar SE16 Hard Disk Drive 500GB
2 x Corsair 1GB DDR2 677
Enermax EGAB50EWL 850W Galaxy Modular PSU
GF 8800 GTS SLI 640MB DDR3, PLI-E, Dual DVI, HDTV Out
Zalman CNPS9700-NT Tritium CPU Cooler

thanks

kill bill
05-05-07, 17:42
2 GB ram prehaps EEC compedible.

768mb Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX Ultra:D

ashot
05-05-07, 17:58
Hi, I'm going to build a PC.
I was just wondering if you could offer me any advice (such as better components to use etc.), tell me about any compatibility issues and such.

these are the components I'm ordering, unless there are changes to be made:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67 GHz
ASUS Striker Extreme Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar SE16 Hard Disk Drive 500GB
2 x Corsair 1GB DDR2 677
Enermax EGAB50EWL 850W Galaxy Modular PSU
GF 8800 GTS SLI 640MB DDR3, PLI-E, Dual DVI, HDTV Out
Zalman CNPS9700-NT Tritium CPU Cooler

thanks

Hi Jackali!

That's some dream machine your building eh?

The package looks good, if u got the dough 2 buy it all that is :D

I have built me own rig too recently, but any who I heard HDDs with capacity over 250 GBs r more unstable, so i'd recommend going for 250 GBs x 2, if u really wanna have 1/2 TB of space ;)

Also ASUS Striker Extreme Motherboard looks nice too, but might b a bit expensive, it's got lotta features in it, but if ur just wanna play games, get P5N32-E SLI mobo, it's bit cheaper, I got that one & it's been servin' me well ever since XMAS, I can't complain about it, haven't had any issues with it!
Also that mobo is quad-core ready, so when time comes u can just buy and install a quad-core CPU and that'll save ya time 'n' money upgrading your mobo all over again! As for cooling, i'd recommend instead of getting cooler 4 your CPU, get an Antec 900 Gamer towercase, it comes with 4 factory fans (including massive 20 cms upper fan) As well u can set different speeds on those 4 fans, i mean with coolin' that U ain't gonna worry 'bout no coolin' no more! :jmp: & if it is possible get 8800 GTX GFX CARD, it'll b worth it! ;)
The rest of your components looks like a nice choice.

Hope that helped ya and it wasn't too much info overload on ya! :D

Cheers!

EscondeR
05-05-07, 18:37
All nice, but two things to mention:
1. Western Digital Caviar SE16 Hard Disk Drive 500GB - personally I would choose Seagate instead.
2. To buy a SLI compatible mainboard and video board makes sense if you have two SLI video boards to make a SLI "bridge". Doubtful perfomance increase though, but very expensive.

jackali
05-05-07, 18:52
thanks for your suggestions
still making my mind up.

also, probably will get 2 x 250MB as it seems cheaper that way

ashot, i'm getting a case which has two 25 cm fans in it and vents all over, i think that'll be okay wont it?

EscondeR, I would get two SLI video boards, but i don't have the money for both right now, i'm stretching what i have to the limits, i'll add another when i do

ashot
05-05-07, 19:03
thanks for your suggestions
still making my mind up.

also, probably will get 2 x 250MB as it seems cheaper that way

ashot, i'm getting a case which has two 25 cm fans in it and vents all over, i think that'll be okay wont it?

EscondeR, I would get two SLI video boards, but i don't have the money for both right now, i'm stretching what i have to the limits, i'll add another when i do

2 x 25 cms fans? :yik: What kinda case might that be?

jackali
05-05-07, 19:14
its a case made by this UK based computer parts website, it's where i'm ordering some of my parts, its a normal sized case though, looks pretty awesome, has a clear side panel, also, the fans light up blue.

ashot
05-05-07, 19:26
its a case made by this UK based computer parts website, it's where i'm ordering some of my parts, its a normal sized case though, looks pretty awesome, has a clear side panel, also, the fans light up blue.

Heheh yer, 900 has a clear side panel too and 3 blue LED fans and a perforated front bezel for a better air intake/circulation! ;)

Check out dis link: http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15900

:D

jackali
05-05-07, 19:34
awesome!

that case i'm going to get is this:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/jackali/CA-020-OK_400.jpg

the other side is pretty much vents, and the top and back lol

ashot
05-05-07, 19:41
awesome!

that case i'm going to get is this:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/jackali/CA-020-OK_400.jpg

the other side is pretty much vents, and the top and back lol

Neat! Must b pricey eh! :D

raiderfun
05-05-07, 19:50
Hello Jackali and everyone else :wve:

All those components are great ! ;) you're building a great project for gaming ! :)

However, I'd like to tell you to choose the GeForce 8800 GTX instead of the GTS because it's much better , you can also compair their specifications here (http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce8.html) :) .

The CPU is nice and very fast, good for gaming, but expensive :D

The case is not bad at all . ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Alex, how are you ? :D

jackali
05-05-07, 19:54
Neat! Must b pricey eh! :D

a bit, yeah

but if i'm shelling out all the money i am on all the components i might as well get a nice looking case too, make it all worth the effort

also, i want it to have the see-through panel, to admire my work, after all, i'm the one building it

However, I'd like to tell you to choose the GeForce 8800 GTX instead of the GTS because it's much better , you can also compair their specifications here (http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce8.html) :)

i would, but the GTX is so much more expensive than the GTS. I don't actually have a job at the moment, too busy with AS exams at school, so i don't really have any way of getting the money.

EscondeR
05-05-07, 19:58
Hi Badr :wve: I'm OK, thanx :)

@ Jackali: If you don't mind please post your budget for that PC for us to suggest more aim-oriented ;)

jackali
05-05-07, 20:02
the amount i can spend is about 1300
all those components, and a couple of other, minor ones come to about 1100.

raiderfun
05-05-07, 20:06
a bit, yeah

but if i'm shelling out all the money i am on all the components i might as well get a nice looking case too, make it all worth the effort

also, i want it to have the see-through panel, to admire my work, after all, i'm the one building it

i would, but the GTX is so much more expensive than the GTS. I don't actually have a job at the moment, too busy with AS exams at school, so i don't really have any way of getting the money.

It's true, but try to choose a cheaper other component, and believe me the 8800 GTX or 8800 Ultra are the way to go for gaming ! :tmb:

And EscondeR is right, tell us your budget ;)

Glad that you're ok Alex ;)

raiderfun
05-05-07, 20:07
the amount i can spend is about £1300
all those components, and a couple of other, minor ones come to about £1100.

Ok, and are you planning to buy your parts from a specific site ? :)
If yes, what is it ? :)

ashot
05-05-07, 20:44
a bit, yeah

RIGHT ON! :jmp:

But try 2 stretch your budget a bit, i mean buy some other cheaper components, I suggest u go cheap on a case, then with a leftover monies in your budget u can grab a 8800 GTX!

BTW 8800 GTX is not that much dearer than 8800 GTS ( ama in aussie land so GTS = $AUS 800 & GTX = $AUS 1000 mebe cheaper nowadays).
Besides, think about it, ur gettin' SLI ready mobo right, if u buy GTS now I doubt that u'll b able 2 pair it up with da GTX on your mobo. :)
But just imagine gaming performance when u gonna have GTX x 2 on your system!

Think about it jackali! :D

jackali
05-05-07, 20:47
raiderfun - various sites, basically wherever i could find each component the cheapest

ashot - i suppose... it is a compelling point

ashot
05-05-07, 21:10
raiderfun - various sites, basically wherever i could find each component the cheapest

You damn right it is! :D

Just think about it, if u get GTS now, and u'll want 2 go SLI a bit later, u'll only b able 2 install an additional 8800 GTS, as far as I kno U can't pair up 8800 GTS with GTX on SLI mobo, well last I checked nywa... plus if u'll want 2 go dual GTX some time later, u'll only need 2 spend $AUS 1000, that is IF u get GTX now, if not well later you will have 2 shell out another couple of grand 2 get those dual GTX's!
Now those $US100 price difference between GTS 'n' GTX, is pocket change comparin' 2 what u'll have 2 spend 2 get SLI GTX's later! Trust me I got 8800 GTS and it's a good card no question, but GTX just a better card... period.
Now i've made my choice with GTS, cuz I was "economical" in my purchase WRONG CHOICE! now i am gonna have to waste @ least another $US1000 if I ever wanna own SLI GTX graphics cards. So most probably ama gonna have 2 go with SLI 8800 GTS instead, cuz I already own one!
Bottom line - buy GTX while u have a choice, don't make the same mistake I did!!!
Wow what an epic tale that tuned out 2 b heheh, well read on man! :D

jackali
05-05-07, 21:13
i'll consider the GTX then, it really does depend on cost though
but thanks ever so much for your views

raiderfun
05-05-07, 21:14

Ok, but first you need to know that that motheboard is very expensive around 300$ in amercica, so I guess it will be much more expensive in England :p , try to choose a cheaper motherboard . ;)

jackali
05-05-07, 21:15
Ok, but first you need to know that that motheboard is very expensive around 300$ in amercica, so I guess it will be much more expensive in England :p , try to choose a cheaper motherboard . ;)

alright, i'll start looking

raiderfun
05-05-07, 21:20
alright, i'll start looking

I think the motherboard Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2288) or the Asus P5B Deluxe (http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=0&model=1179&modelmenu=1) would be nice for your project :tmb:

jackali
05-05-07, 21:23
I think the motherboard Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2288) or the Asus P5B Deluxe (http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=0&model=1179&modelmenu=1) would be nice for your project :tmb:

nice suggestions, they're a fair bit cheaper too
thanks

raiderfun
05-05-07, 21:27
thanks

You're welcome ! :)
And don't forget that those Intel 965 chipset series of Gigabyte are beasts in overclocking, if you're planning to overclock ! ;)

jackali
05-05-07, 21:31
You're welcome ! :)
And don't forget that those Intel 965 chipset series of Gigabyte are beasts in overclocking, if you're planning to overclock ! ;)

i am planning to

raiderfun
05-05-07, 21:33
i am planning to

Then Gigabyte is the way to go :tmb:
But that doesn't mean that those ASUS mainboards aren't good at overclocking ;)

ashot
05-05-07, 21:35
thanks

Ah nice boards, but these r only SLI (crossfire supported) meaning only ATI graphics card supported in SLI setup, not NVidia ones!

Check out this board:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/asus-p5n32e-sli/

It's NVidia SLI-ready, mebe crossfire too dunno, but if ur wanna go with 8800 GTS/GTX that's a mobo 2 go! ;)

Question!

U sed u only got 1300 GBP 2 spend! In US dollars it's like 2.6 grand! that's a lotta dough, i rkn u'll have nuff and on GTX and on that awe-inspiring case u wanna get! :D

raiderfun
05-05-07, 21:38
Ah nice boards, but these r only SLI (crossfire supported) meaning only ATI graphics card supported in SLI setup, not NVidia ones!

Check out this board:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/asus-p5n32e-sli/

It's NVidia SLI-ready, mebe crossfire too dunno, but if ur wanna go with 8800 GTS/GTX that's a mobo 2 go! ;)

Question!

U sed u only got 1300 GBP 2 spend! In US dollars it's like 2.6 grand! that's a lotta dough, i rkn u'll have nuff and on GTX and on that awe-inspiring case u wanna get! :D

Yes, and it's called the ATI CrossFire ! ;)
But if Jackali wants nvidia's SLi, this stays its choice ! :)

jackali
05-05-07, 21:40
i've heard some not so good things about crossfire

ashot
05-05-07, 21:47
i've heard some not so good things about crossfire

Hahaha! Dunno bout it man, never had crossfire! :)

But mostly I rkn it depends on a preference!

Some ppl like ATI some like NVidia!

I am just NVidia fan tis all! :D

raiderfun
05-05-07, 22:00
I'm actually neutral :D
Both of them seem to be nice for me.
There is another maiboard more expensive than the ones that've mentionned previously, but is nvidia SLI Compatible, it's Asus P5N32-E-SLI nVIDIA 680i SLI Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131073) :)

jackali
05-05-07, 22:03
There is another maiboard more expensive than the ones that've mentionned previously, but is nvidia SLI Compatible, it's Asus P5N32-E-SLI nVIDIA 680i SLI Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131073) :)

i was actually looking at that one earlier today, it looks good, and looks like it'll suit my purposes just fine

ashot
05-05-07, 22:04

LAWL Raiderfun!

This is exactly the same mobo that i am recommended 2 jackali! :D

PMSL! :vlol:

jackali
05-05-07, 22:05
oh yeah! thats why i was looking at it earlier :D

raiderfun
05-05-07, 22:07
LAWL Raiderfun!

This is exactly the same mobo that i am recommended 2 jackali! :D

PMSL! :vlol:

Yup :D, and I think its price will be fine for him ! :)

jackali
05-05-07, 22:14
actually, yeah, if i get that motherboard i can probably afford the GTX no problem

ashot
05-05-07, 22:15
Yup :D, and I think its price will be fine for him ! :)

I bought mine 4 about $AUS300, that's like 120-130 GBP, so it's pretty cheap 4 a mobo of it's class ( hmmm probably Class-A) :D

here's some link which i took outta amazon.co.uk

http://www.techstore.co.uk/browse.php?a=p&prodLineID=109377

it's got some prices, check it out jackali! ;)

jackali
05-05-07, 22:17
I bought mine 4 about $AUS300, that's like 120-130 GBP, so it's pretty cheap 4 a mobo of it's class ( hmmm probably Class-A) :D

here's some link which i took outta amazon.co.uk

http://www.techstore.co.uk/browse.php?a=p&prodLineID=109377

it's got some prices, check it out jackali! ;)

uh, woah! thats about 108 less than the Striker Extreme

ashot
05-05-07, 22:26
uh, woah! thats about 108 less than the Striker Extreme

Yep buy it! :D

I got that mobo, and had it since 2K7 and never had any issues with it, just <3 it! Plus me 8800 GTS (previously had 6600 GT) and me 2 Gbs of G.SKILL Heatspreader completes the beautiful picture! :jmp:

jackali
05-05-07, 22:32
thanks again everyone, you've all been so very helpful

ashot
05-05-07, 22:37
thanks again everyone, you've all been so very helpful

LAWL!

Glad 2 help ya out dude!

Dunno how bout ya, but it's 9 am here in aussie land and i've been up all night playin' TR, so wasted so ama gonna go hit teh hay!

CYA 'ROUND! :D

jackali
05-05-07, 22:39
almost midnight over here, just getting started
lol, i play TR for ages sometimes, sounds like a plan, might start soon
anyway, thanks again