PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Level Editor Short Survey

LaraCablara
13-05-07, 02:11
I need a few questions to be answered by you fellow level editors/custom level players so I can decide what to build later on over the summer :). Please answer the questions if you have the time.

1. What do you look for in a custom level? (Gameplay, fancy animations, etc..)

2. What is your favorite type of level?

3. Do you care whether a level uses 128x128 textures or 64x64 textures?

4. What time of day do you like levels to be set in? (Morning, night, etc...)

5. For those of you who both build levels and play them, how do you get started and whats the first thing you do? (Draw them, find objects, etc)

Kamrusepas
13-05-07, 02:14
01. Originality. Some logical challenge.

02. City, castle.

03. Not really.

04. Depends on the level, but mostly night.

05. I compile the tga and the wad.

Izzie404
13-05-07, 03:18

Unique objects, but my favorite thing: New Animations/Moves...

Fav. Type....: Bright places....Wide-open [essentially, Non-Tomb Raider :p] areas....

If I want to get scared: Compact, winding, Corridors, with bad-guys EVERYWHERE! :tea:

I don't really notice it that much...But I like using 128-textures...

Morning...
Unless I want to get scared...: Twilight! :D [I don't really like night-levels... because then I can't see anything :p, Twilight seems to have a purple-ish haze...]

5. For those of you who both build levels and play them, how do you get started and whats the first thing you do? (Draw them, find objects, etc)

I normally just start building and see what it makes me think of,... then I just build off of what I randomly started...

tomblover
13-05-07, 08:12
1. I always look for a rather hard (Not like any of Piega's adventures though. My brain melts after I start the level.) and atmospheric level, with lots of climbing and big underwater part/s, switch puzzles, (Alike to Palace Midas, but easier.) key-and-lock puzzles, and I tend to like moveable block puzzles too, (No hard ones, please. :p) torch puzzles, and not to forget, some timed runs. (One could perhaps be hard!) And now to the smaller nitpicking: If we're talking about tomb levels, I prefer a kind of "slide-into-tomb-and-climb-out-at-end" level. Custom animations are fun too, and if we're talking about outfits, I love Po-Yu's AOD Lara. :D I forgot that if it is my fave type of level, (Jungle.) I like the "Start-out-in-jungle-and-get-into-temple-and-back-into-jungle-after-buisness-is-done" level.

EDIT: Another thing I forgot: For jungle levels, small medipacks could be fruits, and large medipacks (The usual large one or a different model of it.) can be as they are.

2. Jungle levels.

3. Preferably 128x128 but it really doesn't matter.

4. Jungles: Night or evening
Tombs: Day when sliding into tomb and evening/night when one is out again. (Or it could be day all the time.)

I don't build levels, but as a 5. Check out The Lion Sleeps Tonight By Trix, (http://www.trle.net/reviewsearch/levelfeatures.php?lid=1216) it's one of my favorite levels of all time. :) It contains many of the elements I like. :D

stranger1992
13-05-07, 09:23
I always like the moments in levles when you look and go WOW! at the expanisvness. SO i guess i'd say I like wide open spaces

Titak
13-05-07, 09:28
Good looking and atmospheric environments and good, logical gameplay.
(don't ask what I mean by good gameplay because I can't describe it :rolleyes:)
I also like it when people have created their own objects and/or animations.

Levels with rough landscapes with manmade structures in it, structures like old tombs and temples. Preferably ruined and with some magical/mythical 'something' hidden inside.

I will start using 128x128 textures, because they do look better, but I still like good old 64x64 tlevels too. :D

Doesn't matter. Whatever setting fits best with the story and environment the level takes place in.

I start with a basic idea for gameplay and environments, which I write down and draw on paper. Then I start compiling wads and TGA's.
Then I start building, during which the wads and TGA's keep developing. :D

moodydog
13-05-07, 09:50

Good puzzles, cool gameplay

Artic, spooky/ scary,

it looks better but would bother me too much

night for spooky OVIOUSLY (or morning if spooky like silent hill!):p

well i have only started creating... the first think i do is make stuff up!

LaraCablara
13-05-07, 13:38
Thank you all for answering :)

Active Man
13-05-07, 13:47
1. A lots of action, jumping, climbing and driving vehicles (good graphics belong here too)

2. City, remake

3. I care allright :D Not only that I want 128x128 textures, I want 256x256 ones :p (kidding ofcourse)

4. Definetly day or noon ;)

5. I build the level first, then texture it and finally add statics and animatings to it (details). The last thing to do is TREP useage, along with eSSe, ofcourse :)

tweetygwee
13-05-07, 14:24
I need a few questions to be answered by you fellow level editors/custom level players so I can decide what to build later on over the summer :). Please answer the questions if you have the time.

1. Fun and varied gameplay, trap avoidance, parts that make you think, i.e., it's obvious what you have to do, but not so obvious how you do it!

2. City, Rome and Oriental are all good, but you could always do a totally new location.

3. I prefer 128 by 128, but you can always mix low res ones in. For bigger textures, go for the TRL ones or textures from other games on TRSearch.

4. Night, it's more atmospheric.

5. Creating and choosing textures, compiling a WAD. I think up scenes in my mind, a kind of virtual concept art!

tizerist
13-05-07, 14:44
length mostly. i don't wanna get involved with something thats only a couple of hours long (and not too much fighting)
2. a level with big, imposing architecture.
3. 128 x 128 should be used when possible, but not always.

4. depends on type of level really. we need more rainy and snowy games though.

Izzie404
13-05-07, 15:59
I like things like when, in the first level of Jade Empire, you have to jump around very strategically, otherwise you fall to your doom below...
I like levels where: only a backwards jump will get you just high enough or when you have to jump and flip backwards [those are always fun]...stuff like that..

Chocolate
13-05-07, 17:14
1. Everything! But generally some sort of action and atmosphere.

2. Hmm...how about a Temple? Don't make it too scary though. xD

3. 128x128 is better but I'm not really bothered.

4. I like night levels but don't make it so dark that we see nothing. :D

5. I think of what the level may look like, then start modelling the first room, then add texture and light, etc...

LaraCablara
13-05-07, 17:23
Thanks for answering everyone :D

So far, I have decided that my level will most likely take place during the night time :) I wont let it get too dark though.

scoopy_loopy
13-05-07, 21:50

3. Do you care whether a level uses 128x128 textures or 64x64 textures?No not really, but the larger do look nicer.

I love evening levels, but either is ok with great lighting.

I like to base my levels theme on objects I make.

SSJ6Wolf
14-05-07, 00:04
"1. What do you look for in a custom level? (Gameplay, fancy animations, etc..)"

I look for just plain creativity. Whether that be the idea of the adventure, edited animations, custom objects...whenever I see stuff used in an original or clever way, it makes the level more fun to go through. It's kind of like you are exploring the mind of the author. :)

"2. What is your favorite type of level?"

I particularly like arctic, base, space, and jungle levels. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a run through a coastal level as well.

"3. Do you care whether a level uses 128x128 textures or 64x64 textures?"

Not at all, unless there happens to be a sheer amount of 128x128 textures that slows the game down to a crawl or makes the level size like 20 MB, then that's when I think that the larger textures were overdone.

"4. What time of day do you like levels to be set in? (Morning, night, etc...)"

I like seeing all sorts of day times used. I think it's another atmospheric factor that the author should consider. If multiple day times are used in a single string of levels, even better.

"5. For those of you who both build levels and play them, how do you get started and whats the first thing you do? (Draw them, find objects, etc)"

To start a project, I just kind of think of something original and fun to do. To start a level, I try to think of a theme for it. The first thing I do is setup textures and objects and try to go with that theme. So far I have been taking textures and objects from the last level I did, and I put in or remove objects and textures as I need them when building the level itself.