PDA

View Full Version : Forum dissapointments....

SpencerYarman
17-05-07, 22:01
I'm sort of bummed.

I put a lot of effort into forming threads that have logical concerns or thoughts, and work out my opinion and ask for peoples thoughts...and they get shunned!
Then some random thread about "where can I find screen shots", or "new pics" gets tons of replies...

I'm trying to contribute with meaningful posts, where legitimate ideas and concepts and true dialogues about TR can happen...

Anyone else's thunder get squelched? Or will this post drown with the others...

bloodstormaoa
17-05-07, 22:03
I wouldn't worry about it :)

The sad and simple fact is that some threads bomb quite quickly and others don't...

And sometimes threads can be resurrected after a couple of days. It really depends on how much media is released....if it is a slow forum day, threads would have higher replies.

Sara Croft
17-05-07, 22:05
You`ll get used to it ;)

Titanium
17-05-07, 22:06
Its probably because the screenshot or new pics threads are generally simple and easy to reply to. While your threads require more complex replies and alot more thought into the posts.

Ampersand
17-05-07, 22:08
Don't worry over it, SY. =) A lot of good threads die while inane ones thrive, but that doesn't mean they go unread. At least you're trying to make good posts. Sometimes people don't want to invest a lot of time and effort in replying. =/

Mr.Burns
17-05-07, 22:10
Regretfully there isn't too much you can do about it. With the upcoming release of TRA, it will only get worse. It happens, don't let this discourage you:wve:

AmericanAssassin
17-05-07, 22:11
It happens to me too... People tend to visit the threads where they can give a short answer (bumping their thread count). Long thought out threads usually do get shunned. Oh well... I've come to accept it.

domina
17-05-07, 22:11
Its probably because the screenshot or new pics threads are generally simple and easy to reply to. While your threads require more complex replies and alot more thought into the posts.

That's exactly it. :tmb: It is a lot easier to post "Thanks for sharing!" on some screenshot thread than analyze facets of the TR series (or what have you).

I actually remember a while back there was a thread about what we would add to Legend to make the game longer, and even though almost everyone agreed that the game was too short, when it came to offering suggestions, the thread fell flat.

I even love writing and analyzing and all that jazz, but hell, sometimes at the end of a long day, even I can't bring myself to write something that's particularly insightful.

sdp93
17-05-07, 22:14
I'm sort of bummed.

I put a lot of effort into forming threads that have logical concerns or thoughts, and work out my opinion and ask for peoples thoughts...and they get shunned!
Then some random thread about "where can I find screen shots", or "new pics" gets tons of replies...

I'm trying to contribute with meaningful posts, where legitimate ideas and concepts and true dialogues about TR can happen...

Anyone else's thunder get squelched? Or will this post drown with the others...
That happens to me too. Or sometimes I'll ask a question or something no one even looks at it.

Jonnipants
17-05-07, 22:15
People much prefer to post what song they are currently listening to.

Etc. :wve:

tampi
17-05-07, 22:22
This passes us to all.
That is a sensation that it invades to you when you take just a short time here. :confused:

Soon it seems that the things are fixed, then you take to some deception and more ahead you don't pay attention and you see that each one takes their rhythm ...... ;) :) :)

yujuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :cln: :cln: :cln: :D

xMiSsCrOfTx
17-05-07, 22:25
If anything, don't take it personally. I'm sure that no one replying has nothing to do with you being disliked here or anything of that sort. Sometimes some threads just don't draw the attention of others, or lots of people post threads and yours may sink into the depths. :p

Lenochka
17-05-07, 22:27
It happens... To tell you the truth i usually never click on any thread in the TR section of the forum that dosnt have " Spoiler!, New pics! or VIDEO! " The rest just kinda bore me

SamReeves
17-05-07, 22:42
Like others have said, don't sweat it. Lots of posts die within a day here, even TR related ones.

DREWY
17-05-07, 22:46
Could be heaps of things. Just a few would include - not many people on, maybe a non catchy title or maybe all the people that would be interested are not on at that time. By the time they do log on the threadís dropped down. There may have been a similar thread before, or itís too hard to reply too. People like simple replies. Lots of excellent threads get little or no attention. Even tlr online. Justin used to have threads with satellite pictures (modis?) that were excellent, but few people posted in them. Happens to everyone at some time. Can be disappointing, but just remember, itís nothing personal.

Shark_Blade
18-05-07, 02:45
Maybe you need to get people interests more, for example like posting screenshots/images. Visual aids helps a lot;)

Andromeda66
18-05-07, 05:02
Don't worry about it. A thread is not judged by the amount of replies it gets. :wve:

Draco
18-05-07, 05:27
I don't remember seeing them...which probably means the titles looked just like all the other topics.

BlackFlame
18-05-07, 07:04
You've only got 15 posts in total...... it doesn't take much to upset you does it?

There are people on here with thousands of posts.. they start a thread and the people who know them automatically check it out.

Don't take it personally... maybe you've posted on a subject that has been covered extensively before..... maybe the subject is only interesting to you....

Respond to a few threads, get yourself known.

Legend 4ever
18-05-07, 07:26
You know, this happens to me all the time. Noone wants to post in my threads, noone replies after me (example: a thread is full of replies, and very popular, but whe I post there noone posts anymore), just because they have other opinion about TR games than me. If I were someone like Rivendell, Mad Tony, Ikas90, or any of those people others know better than me, I would get loads of posts. And what annoys me too is: people here like to ague only with people they like. When their friend has a different opinion they respect it or argue, but always talk back, but when I post they like ignore it or everyone wants to kill me because I bashed their SACRED CLASSIC TOMB RAIDER games.

Simulation
18-05-07, 07:38
It is better to start a thread with a short question and your view and then develop the thread as people reply. An online essay is a sure way to keep people away :)

Legend 4ever
18-05-07, 08:00
It is not about that it is about: people who have more friends here always have their posts. Example: tlr oline's thread will always be full. Or someone's that people think he/she deserves to be answered to.

SpencerYarman
18-05-07, 14:26
Eh, I'm not offput by it, I just considered that people joined in a forum would want to talk more deeply about something they joined for. And for only having a specific number of posts, quality over quantity... ;)

I'm not one for any sort of popularity contest, Im just happy people took this thread seriously and offered their thoughts and suggestions.

But I do suppose I could bump up my thread count.

:)

Angel_14
18-05-07, 14:33
Today's youth's attention span (or spam? :D) is really short, therefore they prefer to read posts, which are easy to reply to (e.g. Picture/video threads) and doesn't require much thinking and requires 'LOL!' 'LMAO! That was good!' 'Great!' kind of replies. That's why fanfics in the art section aren't popular. Some people are lazy to read them, therefore they just skip it.
They think that more post counts means more respect... How naive ;)

Jacob x5
18-05-07, 15:34
It is not about that it is about: people who have more friends here always have their posts. Example: tlr oline's thread will always be full. Or someone's that people think he/she deserves to be answered to.

Rubbish.

tr_mitch
18-05-07, 15:44

Hardly. :rolleyes: It doesn't matter who the thread 'creator' is, if the topic is of interest to a lot of people, it will get posts, regardless of whether the member who started it happens to be popular on the forum.

Draco
18-05-07, 15:56
Hardly. :rolleyes: It doesn't matter who the thread 'creator' is, if the topic is of interest to a lot of people, it will get posts, regardless of whether the member who started it happens to be popular on the forum.

Oh I dunno about that. If you watch long enough you can easily begin to predict who will reply to a certain person's posts. With a bit of variables, but trends do exist...its human nature.

maximum_123
18-05-07, 15:59
You`ll get used to it ;)

Lol, i have. I had a bug on TR III, no help here :ton: lol!

Bullethail
18-05-07, 16:01
Eh, I'm not offput by it, I just considered that people joined in a forum would want to talk more deeply about something they joined for. And for only having a specific number of posts, quality over quantity... ;)

I'm not one for any sort of popularity contest, Im just happy people took this thread seriously and offered their thoughts and suggestions.

But I do suppose I could bump up my thread count.

:)

As others have said, sometimes it's just hard to come up with a reply to larger, more in-depth posts. I don't think it's so much that they're just trying to boost their post count... although that does happen.

In fact, here's an example, with one of my threads: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=94883

It's a great movie, but how would you reply to it? It's hard. Just think that at least you've given people the chance to read it!

interstellardave
18-05-07, 16:03
Oh I dunno about that. If you watch long enough you can easily begin to predict who will reply to a certain person's posts. With a bit of variables, but trends do exist...its human nature.

This is absolutely true. Also, some threads get really big really quick when two or three people are online at the same time and start just going back and forth... either arguing or just chatting. Some of the biggest topics get that way by going off topic in this fashion!

Something I hate even more, however, is when I'll post something really great, really thoughtful, in a topic--usually a serious topic where you will likely post something meaningful and wise--and my post will be completely ignored and soon buried in posts by other people carrying on some ****ing contest they've had going on! I can't begin to count how many times that's happened to me!

Bullethail
18-05-07, 16:06
This is absolutely true. Also, some threads get really big really quick when two or three people are online at the same time and start just going back and forth... either arguing or just chatting. Some of the biggest topics get that way by going off topic in this fashion!

Yeah, it happens. I doubt it's popularity, though. It's just that certain people will tend to follow after different things... and if they have friends, they'll tend to post in their threads, too.

tr_mitch
18-05-07, 16:10

It all depends on what the thread is based about, threads about war, news, religion, sexuality etc... will always be popular no matter who created the thread, since them type of threads have potential for good discussions. Of course your always going to get people who post in threads since their 'friends' with the person.

petujaymz
18-05-07, 16:19
I'm sort of bummed.

Maybe you're just a bore babes... :p

Only muckin'. :)

:wve:

Legend 4ever
18-05-07, 18:57
I only know some of you said that I always try to make people think like me, everyone is talking about personal opinions, but when I say I HATE TR1 they say: "You are not a true fan." and many other things. Well, THAT?S MY PERSONAL OPINION, HELLO!!!

Quasimodo
18-05-07, 18:58
Forum stardom is overrated.

Draco
18-05-07, 20:48
...war, news, religion, sexuality etc...

I can already tell you who the main participants of those would be...unless someone new shows up.

Reggie
18-05-07, 20:56
I was little disappointed that the thread I posted a few days ago about needing someone to help us with the TR:Reborn project gained 123 views but not 1 reply from anyone.

Other than that, there's the occasional time when a comment gets buried in the midst of a particular agument which can't helped. I usually wait until things have cooled down before adding my view in a thread...unless I'm particularly passionate about something in which case I just say what needs to be said. :p

Thinking about it, I can't say I've had any big disappointments here really...

Neteru
19-05-07, 00:26
Posting behaviour is rather interesting to watch, and what Draco has said is true to some extent.

There are certain threads when posted by one individual, that will get a stream of positive replies that can extend to several pages, even when it doesn't merit it - just because of who made the thread. Yet, if the same thread were posted by another particular member, I can tell you there would likely be five replies of a condemnatory nature, full of sarcastic vitriol.

There is favouritism, there is prejudice, there are groups who stick together and bolster one another's threads. It's all very predictable.

Some threads get ignored on the whole because of who they are posted by, but also because of the topic. Conversely, there are some members who will always react negatively to certain threads, always react positively to others, and aside from this there are one or two members who will just post to every single thread that they can. It makes me laugh just about every day when I see them come on and I know another 70 threads are going to get a new post. And I do mean any thread.

As for newer members, it's hardly surprising that you may not get the attention that you want. The other members don't know you yet, so don't know which side of the fence, as it were, that you are on. Friend or foe, to bolster or not to bolster. And dare to disagree with one favourite member and see your popularity drop amongst certain sections of the membership.

So, if you want to be popular here amongst extremes in the membership, kiss arse. Your post count will rise faster, and your thread popularity will soar. If you're that needy, that is.

If you're not so needy and are content to be in the middle section of the membership, just watch with amusement and post when you're good and ready.

In any event, none of this is any different to life outside the forum.

Sedge
19-05-07, 01:49
^I think reading something like that from a mod's view is quite interesting(<- notice some arse-kissing here again, huh? :ton:), quite a good summary of what it's all about. Especially the last line.

In my case, I usually just comment to threads that interest me(though not always directly to the subject - it may just be that someone has made a funny/interesting/thoughtful comment and I want to express my thoughts of it). Sometimes I like making long arguments and debate(but trying never to blame anyone - negative accusations towards other people just make the whole thread sad), but when I feel lazy I just post to "easier" topics that don't require so much thinking. One essential thing is that I'm a slow typer in English so the writing takes time, and I'm afraid of my thoughts being misunderstood because of the.. what, lack of expressing everything clearly? O_o Yeah. And my posts may easily slip a bit to the off-topic side and it sometimes affects others aswell, then it widens and widens which may cause "problems" and in the worst scenario the thread gets closed/some people get banned and I feel guilty because I was the one who started it. Lightening some serious threads up can make people smile or annoy them, sometimes it isn't even allowed and so on.. depends. Spamming comes so easily!

I do recognise people's "handwritings" from their posts, some just have their own way of writing. The "inner side" of the text.. how can that be explained? Personally, I respect people who have their own opinions about things but aren't attacking in packs because someone's thoughts differ from theirs. It should be the cases arguing again, not people.. It's just people who express the content of the case.. or something like that. :p Of course, it's different if the whole situation is taken with humour - but how do we know if someone really gets offended or not? Duh, sarcasm is so complicated! And that's why when you know someone better you kinda know how s/he reacts to your comments, makes it easier to answer to threads/posts/whatever made by that person. If you want to awaken conversation your text should be somehow more like.. neutrally asking, not strictly accusing. If it is, the answers will also be - towards you. It's also what you want from your thread, lots of discussion between the participants or.. ? And if your thread is an essay-like lecture people may be too lazy to read it - as someone mentioned, adding visual/illustrative material makes it "nicer" to read through. And add that question of some sort there, makes people think what are their thoughts and they may get that burning desire to type! :D

Eh, that didn't quite answer this topic, I was mostly just talking about myself! :eek: Sorry, sorry.. The official :off:-er reports. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/tiere/animal-smiley-026.gif

There are many advice I agree with people here, to get your thread "popular".. :) If it was what this thread was all about, giving expedient? Or individual thoughts? Or both? At least, you succeeded - this did get comments, yay! ^_^ :hug:

Oh, I wrote a lot.

Mytly
19-05-07, 06:15
Exactly.
Trying to be popular in a forum is pretty much like trying to be popular in high school - there will always be a constant struggle to be the cooler than the next guy, always be a bunch of people who seem to be popular without even trying, and others who are ignored no matter how hard they try. And there will always, ALWAYS be cliques (this applies to pretty much every area of life).

Jacob x5
19-05-07, 11:34

I have noticed this to a certain extent, and your last line sums it up.

Personally I reply to threads that I'm interested in and don't reply to threads I'm not interested in. If I agree with a member, I'll say so and if I have something to add, I'll add it. If I disagree with a member, I'll give my argument, regardless of whether I get on with the person or not. :cln: Of course I say this now, but one thing I can honestly say is that I can't remember who I've agreed and disagreed with. I'm not the type of person to hold a grudge, if you like.

Kiss-Bite
19-05-07, 13:18
There are so many threads & it's ever changing that it can be difficult to read them all & reply. If one creates a thread & it gets a limited response I don't think it's personal. I'm sure it has happened to us all, it certainly has to me. You can sometimes also give a very in depth comment within a very active thread but still not get a response, never the less you voiced an opinion & it gets read by some. ;)

Some members a more prevalent because of their role, moderators for example. Others because they've been here for a while & just become familiar, some members have communications outside the forum & some dominate the forum with their posts. I think most people associate me with my creative posts. Anyone who is regularly active in this forum will become familiar with some other members quite quickly.;)

You will find after TRA is released there will most likely be a wave of new members & the dynamics of the forum will change, it happened after Legend. This forum feels different from when I joined, some popular members from that time either don't post any more or not as often. The more dominant members presence can shift & change over a period of time, just as it does in life when it comes to a social group.:)

There are so many members with many interests in common. Overall it's a friendly place where one will find other like minded members in time. To spark interest in a thread depends on the subject matter as well as who creates it. I personally think one should just try & enjoy the forum, post & take part when something simply interests them. :)

petujaymz
19-05-07, 13:40
So, if you want to be popular here amongst extremes in the membership, kiss arse. Your post count will rise faster, and your thread popularity will soar.

How true... didn't Homer Simpson teach us that being popular is the most important thing in the world?

:wve:

SpencerYarman
21-05-07, 20:22
Really great responses.

I can see the multiple facets of forum spelunking, and as a relatively new member, I can see the social and intellectual tiers associated...

I'm just glad my moment of disappointment sparked such great insights.

I'm simultaneously cheered and enthused. :)

On with forum!

ivannnnn
22-05-07, 06:43
human being has a different personality,,or maybe they are just blazy

Lara Croft!
22-05-07, 09:45
Don't worry over it, SY. =) A lot of good threads die while inane ones thrive, but that doesn't mean they go unread. At least you're trying to make good posts. Sometimes people don't want to invest a lot of time and effort in replying. =/

My thoughts exactly.....

irjudd
22-05-07, 15:33
The type of people that would create meaningless "i farted" threads are the same that just like to socialize, reply with one word, or simple ":vlol:" replies, so those topics get huge, as they're being used as a chat room.

Unfortunately this leaves the meaningful threads dead. :(

touchmyheart
22-05-07, 16:12
At least this thread is getting planty of replies :hug:
I never start discussion threads. But I witness interesting threads moving down the lists almost everyday and by the time I want to reply, it's considered bumping (which isn't good ;))

Jonnipants
22-05-07, 17:02
I have been here for quite a while now and I have noticed everything Neteru stated being true. Very well said. :tmb:

When browsing threads of interest to me, my attention is usually turned towards the posts with avatars I recognize, post counts have nothing to do with popularity. If I notice an avatar I've seen before I am more likely to read their responce and reply to them. For example, I always read Kiss Bite's posts becuase I associate him by his great avatar and his creativity.

I do have a habit of just flicking through the thread and rolling over certain replies. I'm way more likely to stop and read where I've seen the avvie before..

If people change their avatar all the time then I have a hard time remembering who everyone is. Hey, I guess I should pay more attention to usernames! ;)
But I think having an exclusive image to represent yourself is a great way to place yourself into the community.