PDA

View Full Version : CD Audio trigger doesn't respond to code bits (to play multiple times).

Tony the Loon
27-05-07, 00:43
Once again, I'm stuck. This TRLE is almost as much troubleshooting as it is design...

I'm trying to get an audio file to play whenever Lara passes a certain point on the map (walks over a certain square). According to the TRLE manual, this is possible; by the use of code bits in the CD trigger.

From the manual:

"Sound triggers use the code bits in the Trigger box to allow you to play a track more than once. (Before TR3 you could only play an audio track one time!) A track can be played 6 times by setting the code bits as follows.

1 2 3 4 5 6
Bit 1 ON ON OFF OFF OFF OFF
Bit 2 ON OFF ON OFF OFF OFF
Bit 3 ON OFF OFF ON OFF OFF
Bit 4 ON OFF OFF OFF ON OFF
Bit 5 ON OFF OFF OFF OFF ON"

I've tried all the combinations, to try and get a track to play up to 6 times, but is doesn't work.

My impression of how this is *supposed* to work is, that using the code bits in the CD trigger should allow the audio track to be triggered up to 6 times, whenever Lara crosses the trigger. Is this correct?

My current situation is: level starts with the desired background ambience. Lara crosses the CD trigger and the desired audio track plays; when it finishes, the background ambience starts again. Now the problem -- I make Lara run over the spot where the CD trigger is again, and nothing happens...

No matter what I try to do, I can only trigger the desired audio track once, despite setting the code bits...

I'm probably overlooking something really simple.... I don't know.... I just can't get it working. It's been a long day for me working with the LE, maybe I'm just tired...

I'll post back if I figure out what the problem is, otherwise I'd greatly appreciate any help!

Piega
27-05-07, 05:41
The manual is right but I think you understand it wrong. I used this method and it works but the problem is that it does not work with the same trigger. You trigger the audio but after this, this trigger will be disabled.

Now you can trigger it again with another trigger using these codebits. Now you could place a second trigger after the first one but then the music will play a second time while the first is not finished. Now this can be solved with a trigger triggerer and for that you must check the manual again. Is editing not fun ;)

aktrekker
27-05-07, 06:42
I always thought it meant it would loop through the track that many times then stop.
Do you have one-shot pressed on the trigger?
What number track are you trying to play?

Piega
27-05-07, 09:54
aktrekker, this codebit is meant for the normal music files. The ambient background tracks can be triggered as many times you like. I dont know exactly but from audio track 100 and above you can do that. With the lower number tracks you must use these codebits and they dont loop.

Tony the Loon
27-05-07, 14:07
Hey guys, thanks for the response.

Just to clarify, I’m not trying to trigger a looping audio track. I have a place in my level where I need a “trip-wire” sort of effect. Whenever Lara passes this line (square), a custom sound is activated. She can go back and if she crosses the line (square) again, this short ‘alarm-like’ sound should be activated each time she crosses the line.

@ Piega:
Thanks, I think I was misunderstanding the manual. I know I can place audio triggers on consecutive squares, but the effect I need seems like I need to place multiple triggers on one square. If use multiple triggers on the same square, they all seem to deactivate at once (Lara moves off the square and goes back, but no more sound despite having multiple triggers there). If I try stack multiple audio triggers (still for the same sound) on the square, and change the code bits, I get an error: “cannot overlap special triggers”. If I place one trigger with the code bit set to play 6 times, the sound is activated the first time but when Lara goes back there is no sound.

I’ll investigate the “trigger-triggerer”….

@ aktrekker:
The “one shot” is turned off, and I’m triggering a short custom audio file that I replaced the original 069.wav with.

Piega
27-05-07, 16:06
Wow Tony, I advised a second trigger on a different square. It is not possible to do this on the same square. Sinds you want it on the same tile a trigger triggerer also does not work.

You can use a flipmap and use a second trigger in the flipmap on the same square. Then you can play your audio 2 times.

Tony the Loon
27-05-07, 16:58
Hmmm...

Thanks Piega.

In that case, it looks like I'll have to rethink my alarm 'trip-wire' concept...

I'll have to keep it simple... When Lara crosses the alarm trip point, there will be no going back...

I'll figure something out...

Don't want to give too much more detail here -- it would spoil the surprise I'm working on for my level...

Izzie404
27-05-07, 17:46
Maybe it becomes a Security Lockdown... ;)

aktrekker
28-05-07, 08:04
aktrekker, this codebit is meant for the normal music files. The ambient background tracks can be triggered as many times you like. I dont know exactly but from audio track 100 and above you can do that. With the lower number tracks you must use these codebits and they dont loop.

I knew there was a difference with tracks 100 and above. That's why I asked which track he was playing. I thought it might help figure out what was wrong.

But since it doesn't seem to be working, has anyone ever tried this before? It wouldn't be the first time the manual was wrong :)