PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts on TRA

thefadedline
07-06-07, 00:55
Well like most of you people, I got this game through Amazon and it arrived on May 31, although I didn't get to play it until yesterday as I had to work away the last few nights.

I never got to play the original TR as I've never had a PlayStation or any other console until recently. I've always played computer games on my PC and I have never managed to get the original TR running properly.

Other than that, I have played and completed (most of) all of the other games, besides AoD, which I gave up on about a week.

I feel that every TR slowly went downhill in terms of actual puzzle-solving and 'tomb-raiding' until now. It's the perfect game. Quite difficult and time-consuming, with gorgeous graphics.

I have a few questions for the people who have played the original. Are the puzzles the same? I'd love them to make a TR2 remake but if the puzzles were the same, I don't think it'd be the same as I know TR2 pretty much inside out.

Because I never played the first game, I don't have anything to compare it to like the people who have do, which I'd like to do. I might buy an old-school second-hand copy for PS and use my brothers PS2, if that works.

I'm also glad I never played the first game, as it means this is a completely new adventure for me. Completely new levels and completely new puzzles, and one of the hardest TR games in years.

Anyways, I am really addicted to this game. I keep finding myself starting the game up when I should be working on this damn 5000-word essay! Currently on Obelisk of Khamoon with 3 of 4 keys. Loving it!

ARgi
07-06-07, 01:04
it would be worth it to find a way to play the original.

the folly is the closest remake of the original level, although the poseidon
area is vastly changed.

everything else is very changed... some for the better, some for the worse. you really need to play it for yourself. i cannot explain the majesty.

thefadedline
07-06-07, 01:18
There's a market nearby that sells second-hand computer games. They'll most probably have a copy for cheap.

Do you know if it'd work on a PS2? I dunno if all PS1 games work on PS2's.

lara_fanatic
07-06-07, 02:04
you would love the original despite its graphics. The puzzles are easier too.
But the main thing i have to say is that the original is excellent

thefadedline
07-06-07, 02:07
I'm quite worried of what to expect. TRA to the original TR is quite a leap.

Natey168
07-06-07, 02:09
There's a market nearby that sells second-hand computer games. They'll most probably have a copy for cheap.

Do you know if it'd work on a PS2? I dunno if all PS1 games work on PS2's.

Yes, it works on PS2.

thefadedline
07-06-07, 02:16
Then it's a done-deal.

thefadedline
07-06-07, 10:37
I also meant to add, in my first post, I think the grapple-indication arrows ruin the game. Just when I think, "Argh, where the hell do I go now?", I see a massive blue arrow out of nowhere, leading the way. I wish there was a way to turn them off.

I.Am.Natla
07-06-07, 10:45
I also meant to add, in my first post, I think the grapple-indication arrows ruin the game. Just when I think, "Argh, where the hell do I go now?", I see a massive blue arrow out of nowhere, leading the way. I wish there was a way to turn them off.

My thoughts exactly!

I really wonder why they didn't make this applicable to the remove hints option.

thefadedline
07-06-07, 10:49
I thought I found a way earlier (the 'remove hints' feature) but that's just the warning-indicator for when you don't quite grab the ledge, etc. It also removes the '!' icon whenever you're next to something interactive.

I'm sure someone will find out a way soon through various modding procedures? Hope so anyways.