PDA

View Full Version : Gates dethroned as world's richest person


laracroft8290
05-04-04, 17:15
Microsoft's Gates dethroned as world's richest person by cheap furniture magnate

All hail Ingvar Kamprad!

The Swedish founder of the IKEA furniture chain has passed Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates as the world's richest person, according to reports out of Sweden. Business weekly Veckans Affarer is set to report that Kamprad holds a fortune of 400 billion crowns or $53 billion. This would put him $6 billion ahead of Gates.

In its most recent survey, Forbes magazine placed Gates' wealth at $47 billion and had him topping the world's richest list. Kampard, 77, came in at 13 on the list with $18.5 billion.

The Swedes, however, believe that a weak US dollar has thrust Kampard to the top of the list since Forbes did its calculations.

Kamprad is said to be on the frugal side, flying economy and driving an old Volvo. He keeps his wealth secure in tax-haven Switzerland.

If you think about it, Microsoft and IKEA are not terribly dissimilar. Both companies sell mass-produced gear that requires a lot of assembly and attention. But apparently this model pays quite well.

The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/36782.html)

Joseph
05-04-04, 18:00
Originally posted by laracroft8290:

If you think about it, Microsoft and IKEA are not terribly dissimilar. Both companies sell mass-produced gear that requires a lot of assembly and attention. But apparently this model pays quite well.

The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/36782.html)Windows requires vastly more "assembly and attention" than a Ikea kitchen.

laracroft8290
05-04-04, 18:06
It's just what the register posted http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-3.gif

Phi Phi
05-04-04, 18:14
Imagine... $47 billion! <sigh>

Draco
05-04-04, 18:17
I'd settle for second richest on my block...

TopCat.TopBeing
05-04-04, 18:18
and what exactly is he gonna do with such a huge amount of money? http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Phi Phi
05-04-04, 18:18
Do you think these people walk around with cash in their pocket? Small change.. for a cup of tea, or a newspaper or a snack?

rocker2004
05-04-04, 18:21
All i can say is i wish i was bill gates!
with money like him wow!

[ 05. April 2004, 19:22: Message edited by: kick_some_ass ]

TopCat.TopBeing
05-04-04, 18:22
Originally posted by kick_some_ass:
All i can say is i wish i was bill gates!
with money like him wow!u gotta be kidding! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/clown.gif

[EDIT: hey u edited ur post! thats not fair! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/silent.gif http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/jumper.gif ]

[ 05. April 2004, 19:24: Message edited by: TopCat.TopBeing ]

TombRaiderfreaky
05-04-04, 19:27
I hope that guy gives to charity alot.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-5.gif

Sorry, had to try to the new smilies. :D

NatEcho
05-04-04, 19:37
Who knew!? The world's richest dude, righ in my back-yard... :rolleyes: *Did I mention I take donations?*

Those people are way too rich for for the worlds good. Tsk.

laracroft8290
05-04-04, 20:36
Originally posted by TombRaiderfreaky:
I hope that guy gives to charity alot.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-5.gif

Sorry, had to try to the new smilies. :D Melinda (his wife) and he donated 1 Million dollars to Breast Cancer Research. I think it was the largest private/single donation the society had ever received.

[ 05. April 2004, 21:40: Message edited by: laracroft8290 ]

Phi Phi
05-04-04, 20:39
I read that Bill Gates will donate a considerable portion of his wealth to charity when he dies.

laracroft8290
05-04-04, 20:39
Originally posted by Phi Phi:
Do you think these people walk around with cash in their pocket? Small change.. for a cup of tea, or a newspaper or a snack?Its on paper usually. Their accountants probably move around stocks, bonds etc and deposit a set amount of money in their accounts.

laracroft8290
05-04-04, 20:41
Originally posted by Phi Phi:
I read that Bill Gates will donate a considerable portion of his wealth to charity when he dies.Probably to a charity for the rehab/shrinks of people who are frustrated by microsoft programs http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-2.gif

Draco
05-04-04, 20:42
Originally posted by Phi Phi:
I read that Bill Gates will donate a considerable portion of his wealth to charity when he dies.95% of it IIRC...