PDA

View Full Version : Control Delay (Possible Spoiler)

IainOv
14-06-07, 20:40
Has anyone else noticed a significant lag in the response to control inputs on PS2? It is particularly frustrating when combined with the remote save points and entails repetitive running and jumping to get back to the same point. I have noticed this most on my current level (the first Egypt level) when trying to get Lara to jump and use the grapple after using the grapple to open the timed door. It seems as though an input buffer doesn't register any further demands as a rapid sequence of button presses results in Lara autograbbing the ledge (when autograb has been switched off!!!) This is a far cry from the elegance of the early games where Lara instantly responded to the keypad - progress I guess:(

thevman
14-06-07, 20:52
Yup, pole hopping, trying to start a pull up on ledges, landing from pole swings, etc... she takes a second to regain composure before they let us move. Very frustrating on some timed runs. :( Totally sucked on pole hopping thru smahing walls! :hea:

Blackmoor
14-06-07, 21:59
Has anyone else noticed a significant lag in the response to control inputs on PS2? It is particularly frustrating when combined with the remote save points and entails repetitive running and jumping to get back to the same point. I have noticed this most on my current level (the first Egypt level) when trying to get Lara to jump and use the grapple after using the grapple to open the timed door. It seems as though an input buffer doesn't register any further demands as a rapid sequence of button presses results in Lara autograbbing the ledge (when autograb has been switched off!!!) This is a far cry from the elegance of the early games where Lara instantly responded to the keypad - progress I guess:(Yes I noticed something. Enough that I actually tried another controller, but as that worked the same, I thought it was just me!!!

For example - I'd be pressing the circle button to dive and Lara wouldn't do it because I happened to have pressed the circle button "too early" after another command, and it was like the system hadn't registered circle was actually pressed down. So then I'd have to take my finger off the circle key and repress it in order to get Lara to dive.

I also noticed it sometimes with the square button after jumping. I'd have square pressed down under my thumb, but the grapple wouldn't work at all. I'd have to take my finger off the square button and repress it in order to grapple - (although usually it was too late to do that anyway).

I felt I had to be (on occasion) quite distinct in the intervals I allowed for button presses... if that makes sense.

I didn't notice it all the time, only now and again. But I definitely noticed something because like I said, I did try a different controller.

Xian Priestess
14-06-07, 22:27
Same here - this happens a lot to me. Many a time I've had to tap buttons twice - which can be a real pig on tightly timed sequences. The analogue is fine, but the buttons can be sticky. And when getting the centaurs' shields off, I had to grapple and pull twice each for the pair of them. Luckily, you get plenty of time for the shield grapple, so it wasn't too much a mess, but it can certainly mess up timing on other moves.