PDA

View Full Version : Random Question about languages

sdp93
21-06-07, 19:23
I apologize if this thread is a bad one, but this question's been nagging me for a while (maybe two days).

Does everyone here speak english, or does the forum have a translator for different countries? I don't spend a lot of time on the internet (if I'm on it I'm usually on here), so this is something that I naturally wouldn't know.

Ikas90
21-06-07, 19:29
Well, originally, this is an English-speaking forum, and everyone here does speak English. But it's not everyones native language. :) There are plenty of foreigners here who find it difficult to chat with us.

sdp93
21-06-07, 19:36
But it's not everyones native language.

I know that. But I wasn't sure if everyone spoke English.

laralauraxxx
21-06-07, 19:41
i speak english here as you can probably see ...

Angelx14
21-06-07, 19:47
Well yeah, this is English speaking forum, which means that you have to speak in English, so other people can understand you. But not all of them are native English speakers.. I don't think this forum has some sort of translator.. Maybe the person who isn't English speaker and is bad at it does use something =)

I'm not English speaker if you're wondering. You can already see that I suck =)

sdp93
21-06-07, 19:48
Okay, thanks. Because I saw somewhere on here that someone was learning English, and they seemed so good at it already.

ben_the_joka
21-06-07, 21:05
English is a hard language to learn, however, there is plenty of english music and films to aid foreigners when learning.

Foreigners tend to grow up with it, so it tends to be easier for them to pick it up, which may be why they were already very good at it.

tweetygwee
21-06-07, 21:07
English is a hard language to learn, however, there is plenty of english music and films to aid foreigners when learning.

Foreigners tend to grow up with it, so it tends to be easier for them to pick it up, which may be why they were already very good at it.

I agree, learning other languages is quite easy with English as a first language, but I can see why English is such a complex language for others.

xRikux89
21-06-07, 21:11
I've spoken English for almost 9 years now. I didn't really find it hard to learn... Easier than French anyway -_-

tweetygwee
21-06-07, 21:16
I've spoken English for almost 9 years now. I didn't really find it hard to learn... Easier than French anyway -_-

Yes, I learn French and Spanish. I like both, but Spanish is a lot easier.

Gabi
21-06-07, 21:41
English is neither complex nor difficult to learn compared to other languages.

Tomb Raider Master
21-06-07, 21:55
Ditto. As a matter of fact, I think it's one of the easiest languages.

only Croft
21-06-07, 22:13
Ditto. As a matter of fact, I think it's one of the easiest languages.

Damn right. Portuguese is sooo damn hard with all the terminations of verbs and their exceptions :hea:. I'm glad I know English :o.

Nemo_91
21-06-07, 22:15
Hungarian is the hardest language in the world XD

T.Onix
21-06-07, 22:15
I think the hardest language is Turkish!

By the way... any turkish people around?

Angel_14
21-06-07, 22:18
Hungarian is the hardest language in the world XD

Tell me about it. Sometimes I don't know what to say while it's my native language ;)

As I said, I'm not native English speaker, but I try my best. A lot of people believed that I'm English :)

Nemo_91
21-06-07, 22:22
Are you hungarian, Angel? O_O Lol, i don't know what can i say about it XD

Oh yeah, i remember your name is Adri :D Adrienn...:)

Angel_14
21-06-07, 22:24
Are you hungarian, Angel? O_O Lol, i don't know what can i say about it XD

Maybe 'Poor you...' :D XD

Nemo_91
21-06-07, 22:26
Te szegény...:p LOL XD Where are you live? :)

Angel_14
21-06-07, 22:30
Te szegény...:p LOL XD Where are you live? :)

Budapest, 2nd. district :)

Nemo_91
21-06-07, 22:33

:eek: XD I thought you're not live in Hungary. :D Budapest is a great place. :tmb: but you can't speak hungarian?

sdp93
21-06-07, 23:41
Wow. That's another place I want to go.

star girl
21-06-07, 23:45

:eek:

That's where they shot the new Evanescence video a week ago!

:eek: :yik:

Hardest language is Urdu/Hindi - believe me..

I'm a native Urdu-speaker, yet still half my sentence supposedly in Urdu turn out to be in ENglish.. :p :vlol:

MiCkiZ88
22-06-07, 00:02

Try learning Finnish. Even I can't speak it properly. :o

But yeah. English is pretty easy as most of us non native speakers start learning it at the age of 7 or younger. I started it at the age of five.. Just kinda grew with it.

Izzie404
22-06-07, 00:25
One of the major areas that contributes to a difficult language is a complex level of inflection. As I have read, English is a weakly-inflected language.
Inflection is when words [verbs, adjectives, nouns, etc.] change to show the number/gender of persons/objects that perform/receive the action.
I have begun to learn Japanese, which, apparently, has a very high level of inflection. So I would expect those languages [highly inflected] to be complex.

Sedge
22-06-07, 00:32
I wonder how a translator would work.. O_o

And to the :off: here, I think any language that doesn't use the same alphabet/characters you are used to must be particularly difficult, not only do you have to learn new "symbols" but words as well. And you can't really say which language is generally the hardest to learn anyways because duh, obviously it depends what kind of grammar and other linguistic stuff you're used to yourself! :p

Ah, languages are so interesting. ^__^

MiCkiZ88
22-06-07, 00:48
Ah, languages are so interesting. ^__^

Yeah they are.. but not when a finnish person starts to read something.

Lan kUakes a-re soo in te res tin g

<.<

Mytly
22-06-07, 06:15
One of the major areas that contributes to a difficult language is a complex level of inflection. As I have read, English is a weakly-inflected language.
Inflection is when words [verbs, adjectives, nouns, etc.] change to show the number/gender of persons/objects that perform/receive the action.
True. There are very few ways in which one language can be said to be harder than another, but the level of inflection is definitely one such factor.

Though of course, this applies only if you are learning it as a second language. No language is hard for someone who has been speaking the it since childhood, as children learn languages intuitively, whereas adolescents/adults have to make a conscious effort to do so.

I have begun to learn Japanese, which, apparently, has a very high level of inflection. So I would expect those languages [highly inflected] to be complex.
From my somewhat limited knowledge of Japanese, I don't think this is true. As a matter of fact, I believe Japanese has only a moderate level of inflection - barely more than English. There are plenty of other languages with a lot more inflection: German, Latin, and even my mother tongue, Gujarati (an Indian language).

xRikux89
22-06-07, 07:28
Lan kUakes a-re soo in te res tin g

<.<

XD

But seriously, Finnish is a crazy language o_o With the inflection level Izzie mentioned, Finnish has practically none... We don't even have "he" and "she" separated xD

Nemo_91
22-06-07, 09:19
I wanna learn Finnish XD I don't know why but i love that language! :D

just croft
22-06-07, 10:21
It is always dificult to start speaking another language when all your life you spoke another completly diferent. Luckly english is an easy language, but it doesn't mean that it's the easiest to learn. Imagine that you live in a country and your neighbour country speaks a language similar to yours but diferent (due to historic/religious/political/demographic issues) tell me what would be the easiest to learn, the language from your neightbour country or english?

that really makes you think.

but your question was if we use translators, well luckly for me no. I started learning english when I was 6 years old. Most of my family speaks english and most of the movies (although subtitled) songs and games I watched, listened and played were and still are in english. When I was 7 years old I joined a private english school, there it turned alot more easier to learn english (yes 2 schools, 1 public and 1 just for english hehe).

errevet
22-06-07, 10:47
I can speak Englisch, Dutch, French (and Withish) ;)

Angel_14
22-06-07, 13:12
:eek: XD I thought you're not live in Hungary. :D Budapest is a great place. :tmb: but you can't speak hungarian?

Of course I can. It's my first language :p

mizuno_suisei
22-06-07, 13:19
Its really funny, When I meet people from other countries and talk to them (On MSN for example, ) An example of a conversation.

"Hi, Im sorry, I realise you are from australia, I hope you speak english"
"I only speak australian, sorry"
"Ok then, bye"

HAHA Its very funny.

As for me, I speak ENGLISH ^_^ But im beginning to hate it. >_> I prefer talking Japanese though.

Ikas90
22-06-07, 13:20
It is always dificult to start speaking another language when all your life you spoke another completly diferent. Luckly english is an easy language, but it doesn't mean that it's the easiest to learn. Imagine that you live in a country and your neighbour country speaks a language similar to yours but diferent (due to historic/religious/political/demographic issues) tell me what would be the easiest to learn, the language from your neightbour country or english?

I have to agree with you! Learning languages is not easy... I'm only fluent in English and Greek. There's a dozen other languages I'd love to become fluent in: All Latin Languages (French, Spanish, etc.), Serbian as one of the main Slavic languages as well as Russian, Latvian, and Germanic languages. Wish me luck, lol. :D

Cookie_Raider
22-06-07, 13:23
I wish I could speak more langages, I can do bits of French but being brought up speaking English with parents that didnt even ATTEMPT to speak a different language when on holiday I just never felt the need to learn properly. I'm thinking of learning Spanish though- Italian sounds VERY hot though!!! :o