Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Anniversary (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Opinion about the Time Trials of this game (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=215125)

JohnCroft25 15-06-16 19:35

Opinion about the Time Trials of this game

First of all, I think we'll all agree that, comparing to the Time Trials of Tomb Raider:Legend, the ones from Anniversary are MUCH harder. For me, an important factor for this (apart from the fact that the levels are much more challenging than the ones from Legend), is that now, in contrast to Legend, the clock doesn't stop ticking when most cutscenes play (not cutscenes that show the plot; cutscenes that show e.g. a door that gets opened by a switch, a solution to a puzzle etc). This, for me, make things much more frustrating.
On the other hand, for me the Time Trials of most levels are fair; even if you lose your way, even if you die a few times, you still can beat them.
Unfortunately, this is not the case in all the levels...
The level, whose Time Trial I really hate is Tomb of Tihocan.. For me, you have to be 100% precise and know exactly what to do...otherwise, you'll fail... I remember once, when I had put the ''surfing board'' just a tiny inch away from where I should...and the board got stuck under the passage next to the exit of the cistern...Until I could go back and fix the error... the time had stopped... The fact, though, that you only have 13:20 for this level makes you wanna hurry, which can result in mistakes due to rush...
The Time Trial of the first level is also very ''pushing''...Even if you know exactly what to do, you'll only have just a few seconds left. So, a slight mistake can really cost you this Time Trial. Of course, comparing to Tomb Of Tihocan, the level is much more linear, which make things much easier.
Apart from that, I think that the rest of the Time Trials can be completed relatively easily.
So, what is your opinion about the Time Trials of Tomb Raider: Anniversary? Do you think they are easy or difficult? And, in general, were there any levels, where you got stuck in their Time Trial?

CheshireBitch 15-06-16 20:57

I think they were very difficult. Most of them I did on my first try but I knew everything about the levels because I searched all secrets before doing the time trials but even with that, I had to do some level twice or more because it was very difficult. Some of them I had only 2 seconds left when I reached the end or something like that.

I did them once and I will NEVER play the time trials of Anniversary again. They are not fun AT ALL.

Anyway I was happy they didn't put them back in Underworld !

JohnCroft25 15-06-16 21:11

[QUOTE=CheshireBitch;7598756]I think they were very difficult. Most of them I did on my first try but I knew everything about the levels because I searched all secrets before doing the time trials but even with that, I had to do some level twice or more because it was very difficult. Some of them I had only 2 seconds left when I reached the end or something like that.

I did them once and I will NEVER play the time trials of Anniversary again. They are not fun AT ALL.

Anyway I was happy they didn't put them back in Underworld ![/QUOTE]

Me too... In general, I dislike Time Trials, because I prefer to play the levels in my own pace, without the pressure of time

Zreen001 16-06-16 02:58

In a way, I have to thank time trials for introducing me to speedrunning videos.

Otherwise, I have to wonder who tested the Anniversary levels that fast?
Maybe apel? :p

dcw123 16-06-16 09:02

[QUOTE=Zreen001;7598963]In a way, I have to thank time trials for introducing me to speedrunning videos.

Maybe apel? :p[/QUOTE]

This.

I actually miss time trials. I know Rise had something very similar, but the gameplay is so different it makes it almost impossible to time trial.

Uncharted on PS4 added speedrun mode - but sadly, it is for the entire game in one run - not level by level time trials like TR.

The problem I have with speedruns is when people do glitches - I know its 'legit' as the glitches are in the game and all that - but I prefer the glitchless runs which require pure skill.

JohnCroft25 16-06-16 10:58

[QUOTE=Zreen001;7598963]In a way, I have to thank time trials for introducing me to speedrunning videos.

Maybe apel? :p[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dcw123;7599015]This.

I actually miss time trials. I know Rise had something very similar, but the gameplay is so different it makes it almost impossible to time trial.

Uncharted on PS4 added speedrun mode - but sadly, it is for the entire game in one run - not level by level time trials like TR.

The problem I have with speedruns is when people do glitches - I know its 'legit' as the glitches are in the game and all that - but I prefer the glitchless runs which require pure skill.[/QUOTE]

I love glitched speedruns!!! I love to see levels that, normally, are tough to complete and require a lot of time to be completed in just a short time, due to glitches and bugs you could never imagine!!!
I, specifically, like the rather newly found technique ''Infinite Jump Bug''...I would like to see a full-game speedrun based on this technique(both in Anniversary, but also in Legend-I think that in some levels like St Francis Folly and Japan this glitch can make it possible to finish these parts in just a few minutes!!!)
Btw, I don't understand why some people make glitched speedruns with ''Not Major Glitches'' (Like without the afforementioned glitch)...Why? I mean, they use glitches after all...why not reclaim them to a full extent? :p

SamCactus101 20-07-16 07:12

Don't really like Time Trials. I only do it for trophies/achievements. I hardly do those for my own entertainment. And I [i]don't[/i] want trophies/achievements regarding Time Trials.

JohnCroft25 20-07-16 07:24

[QUOTE=SamCactus101;7618220]Don't really like Time Trials. I only do it for trophies/achievements. I hardly do those for my own entertainment. And I [i]don't[/i] want trophies/achievements regarding Time Trials.[/QUOTE]

Same here :)

Tombraiderplay 20-07-16 20:31

In my opinion . My very honest opinion . Time Trials are pointless

JohnCroft25 20-07-16 20:35

[QUOTE=Tombraiderplay;7618747]In my opinion . My very honest opinion . Time Trials are pointless[/QUOTE]

Well, in my opinion they added them mostly to increase game time (without time trials, Legend can be 100% completed in less than 3 and a half hours) and, probably, also to provide some challenge and replayability....but, for me, Legend and Anniversary would be better without them