Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   E3 2012: ‘Tomb Raider’ Developer Crystal Dynamics Explains Game and Movie Crossover (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=191658)

lcroft_lc 03-06-12 17:57

E3 2012: ‘Tomb Raider’ Developer Crystal Dynamics Explains Game and Movie Crossover

[QUOTE]Gamers are in for a double feature of Lara Croft with Square Enix releasing a game reboot in early 2013 and GK Films developing a movie based on that new game for next year.

LOS ANGELES -- Lara Croft, one of the most recognizable video game characters in the world, will return to E3 2012. Developer Crystal Dynamics has been busy working on the Tomb Raider reboot, which premiered at E3 last year. Publisher Square Enix gave the developer additional time to fine-tune the gameplay with an early 2013 launch.
our editor recommends

The new Tomb Raider features a Lara Croft fresh out of college, shipwrecked on a mysterious island in her very first adventure. The game’s focus has been shifted away from puzzle-solving to a more cinematic action-adventure feel that puts players in the shoes of the aspiring archeologist.

The E3 demo this year focuses on a life-changing moment in the journey of Lara Croft from an inexperienced college girl to a skilled adventurer. In a life-or-death sequence, she must kill a Russian who’s taken her hostage. Karl Stewart, global brand director for Crystal Dynamics, talks about how the game developer is working with the filmmakers at GK Films in this exclusive interview.

[B]The Hollywood Reporter: What we see on screen in this game is very cinematic, but there will also be a new Hollywood adventure. What are your thoughts about [I]Tomb Raider[/I] going back to the big screen?[/B]

[B]Karl Stewart:[/B] Apart from myself, the studio is very excited. To spend time in late 2008/early 2009 coming up with this re-imagining, really putting our back behind it, and then to get to a point where a studio like GK Films sits and listens to our pitch, and then makes a decision that this is something they want to also bet on, not only just for a re-mix, but also now the big Hollywood movie studio. We’re very excited.

[B]THR: How will the movie tie into the new game?[/B]

[B]Stewart:[/B] The intent, so far, is that we go back and tell the exact same story. Of course, what we tell in 10 hours is very different than what they will tell in a blockbuster movie of 90 minutes. There will be some truncating, and we’re very excited to see what comes out.

[B]THR: Can you talk about the talk about the talent that they have involved in the film?[/B]

[B]Stewart:[/B] We’ve been working very hard with them to support our vision. They have Hawk Ostby and Mark Fergus. Both of those writers worked together on [I]Children of Men, Iron Man[/I], and [I]Cowboys & Aliens[/I]. So they’ve worked very closely together. [I]Children of Men[/I] is a very inspirational movie. They did certain things in that that were truly creative, so we’re very happy with that. We haven’t gotten as far as director or cast just yet. Everyone agrees that we need to make sure that we nail the story first.

[B]THR: What do you think it was about the first two [I]Tomb Raider[/I] movies that made them succeed, where so many other video game adaptations have failed in Hollywood?[/B]

[B]Stewart:[/B] I think it was a very strong female character. Lara Croft had broken new ground in the video game era 15 years ago. It brought personality, a new character, and emotion that we hadn’t really seen before. To see that depicted on the big screen, especially in the first [I]Tomb Raider[/I]. Angelina Jolie did such a great job that, of course, everybody wants to see their character that they just spent eight to 10 hours playing live out an adventure in a movie. We see this as a very important juncture in video game to movie adaptations. We hope to be able to continue that with this next Tomb Raider.

[B]THR: Have you seen Hollywood’s attitude toward games evolve over that span of time since the first [I]Tomb Raider[/I] movie?[/B]

[B]Stewart:[/B] In general what’s happened is that over the years it’s become more and more focused to delivering a good movie and not just, “You have a portfolio or a franchise of great icons, and we could make a movie about them.” We’ve seen so many come and go. Over the last few years, you can probably count on one hand how many big movies came out that are based off of a video game character. I think Hollywood directors are getting more pickier.

[B]THR: Why is that?[/B]

[B]Stewart:[/B] When we look at what the likes of Batman and James Bond have done, from making characters culturally relevant and bringing in emotion with reboots; there are very few characters inside of video games that you can see that transfer across to movies. It’s just gotten harder to find the right IP to be able to be build that blockbuster that they’re so akin to making right now with the original IPs.
[/QUOTE][URL]http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/e3-expo-2012-lara-croft-tomb-raider-crystal-dynamics-square-enix-gk-films-332427[/URL]

Lukass 03-06-12 18:01

So the game is 10 hours long?

Great :/

italibabee 03-06-12 18:02

[COLOR="Indigo"]w00t
movie.:D[/COLOR]

Mikky 03-06-12 18:02

[QUOTE]Apart from myself, the studio is very excited.[/QUOTE]

At first, I thought that meant that Karl wasn't excited. :p

Oh, and btw, this movie will come out in 2014, not next year.

[QUOTE=Lukass;6217937]So the game is 10 hours long?

Great :/[/QUOTE]

We already knew that, though.

brand.seph 03-06-12 18:04

[QUOTE=Lukass;6217937]So the game is 10 hours long?

Great :/[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that Confirmed last year? From what I know it might be twice as long as Underworld. [COLOR="White"]Playthrough, with exploration aside I hope[/COLOR]

Lee1711 03-06-12 18:04

Didn't they always say it'd be about 10 hours?

Lukass 03-06-12 18:05

I thought the game would be 10+ hours. 10 hours without proper exploration, side missions etc.

trlestew 03-06-12 18:06

This is the first time I've actually heard anything about a new TR movie :o.

I certainly hope that they do not push the game to coincide with the movie, or that the game would fall back to be an adaption of the movie instead of the other way around.

It's a pretty neat idea though to have both plots be the same.

And the whole 10 hours thing is just a general statement. You could beat it in 6, 10, 12 ,24, whichever.

TheRCroft 03-06-12 18:06

[QUOTE=Lukass;6217957]I thought the game would be 10+ hours. 10 hours without proper exploration, side missions etc.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that what they meant when saying "10 hours"? Or is the whole game 10 hours?

Lukass 03-06-12 18:07

[QUOTE=TheRCroft;6217962]Wasn't that what they meant when saying "10 hours"? Or is the whole game 10 hours?[/QUOTE]

The whole game probably is gonna be 10 hours long including exploration, side mission (if there is any exploration and side missions of course)...so, yeah...10 hours.