www.tombraiderforums.com

www.tombraiderforums.com (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   General Final Fantasy Thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=86691)

Legend of Lara 14-02-07 15:07

General Final Fantasy Thread
 
talk about final fantasy x-2 and why it's the best game in the series here

Rivendell 14-02-07 15:24

Currently playing FF3 remake on DS, Love it so far and I'm only a couple of hours in! :D The music, the old fighting, spells, swords, kings, princesses, ships, curses Dragons :D :yah:

Mad Tony 14-02-07 15:27

IMO, the whole series is way overrated.
The only FF games that I find aren't overrated, are VIII and IX.
IX in particular.

Final Fantasy IX has always been the only FF game I ever loved. The battle system was pretty good, there were engaging and deep characters, marvelous locations and a wide array of attacks.
Plus, this game was a challenge and keeps you playing for hours on end.

Not to mention the fantastic soundtrack which I found myself forking £24 out of my wallet for. :p

Rivendell 14-02-07 15:32

FF9 is my fave too. I love FF7 in a TR1ish type of way, but Ff9 is my fave. :D I adore the music too, Nobuo is an audio Genius!

Psyched 14-02-07 16:24

The soundtracks are very good indeed. I'm currently listening to an excellent full orchestral version of VI's opera (12 minutes long). I'm nearing a complete collection of all FF-related music, although it peaked at VIII, and after IX went downhill drastically, presumably because of lesser Nobuo involvement. I'll have to play through XII to see if that OST is worth acquiring. IX OST Plus was a bit of a disappointment, especially since most of the pieces were reworkings of the original theme - hardly that, in fact, they were just the theme played on different instruments.

So, who's getting XII over here when it comes out?

Forwen 14-02-07 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Tony (Post 1574911)
The battle system was pretty good

We can't possibly be thinking about the same game? The FFIX battle system was a disaster. Unbalanced, incredibly slow, punishing the player randomly - the command input to animation/attack synchronisation made it almost impossible to control the situation on the field and whether my command would actually be performed at a moment I'd intended it to be was a roulette. Square really should've polished their frames.

It's even more astonishing considering I'd had no problem with ATB in FFVIII. Why in FFIX Square returned to the flawed version from FFVII is beyond me.

And that sorry Ability System - I felt as if it was more limiting than even Junction System from FFVIII. And people miraculously complain about the systems from FFX-2 -_-

Forwen 14-02-07 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyched (Post 1575093)
The soundtracks are very good indeed. I'm currently listening to an excellent full orchestral version of VI's opera (12 minutes long). I'm nearing a complete collection of all FF-related music, although it peaked at VIII, and after IX went downhill drastically, presumably because of lesser Nobuo involvement. I'll have to play through XII to see if that OST is worth acquiring. IX OST Plus was a bit of a disappointment, especially since most of the pieces were reworkings of the original theme - hardly that, in fact, they were just the theme played on different instruments.

So, who's getting XII over here when it comes out?

I am, although I won't be able to play it before the end of May, I'm afraid. And from what I've heard in various trailers and sites, FFXII soundtrack is a very average instrumental score - I think "blank" is a good way to put it. I know that in case FFXII proves to be a memorable and immersive game the music will also benefit from that, but we know all too well that in good ol' times of Uematsu it was music that enriched the game, not the other way around.

Psyched 14-02-07 16:57

Granted. I do know there's an orchestral arrangement of the old masterpiece "Battle With Gilgamesh" (one of the outstanding tracks of FFV) included - perhaps that will still be as magical.

Mad Tony 14-02-07 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forwen (Post 1575117)
We can't possibly be thinking about the same game? The FFIX battle system was a disaster. Unbalanced, incredibly slow, punishing the player randomly - the command input to animation/attack synchronisation made it almost impossible to control the situation on the field and whether my command would actually be performed at a moment I'd intended it to be was a roulette. Square really should've polished their frames.

I liked it. :)

Forwen 14-02-07 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Tony (Post 1575212)
I liked it. :)

I did as well, as the story, music and even setting were superb. Well - they were good enough to make me quite tolerant for the flaws of the battle and level system, and to play FFIX to the end without even considering discarding it. But fights themselves were all frustration, no fun.

Psyched 14-02-07 17:43

At least levelling up wasn't quite as hellish as in FFV... :(

Legend of Lara 14-02-07 18:08

I am currently hooked on FFX-2. I love acting silly and change dresspheres a million times in a battle. :D

Forwen 14-02-07 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend of Lara (Post 1575414)
I am currently hooked on FFX-2. I love acting silly and change dresspheres a million times in a battle. :D

Oh poopie, I turned these animations off as soon as it was possible. I was actually quite irritated the game still forced me to watch this sad show at least once per each dress sphere I found.

Alive_and_Funky 14-02-07 20:04

I plan to get into the Final Fantasy series someday. I've heard a lot of people saying that VII is the greatest, while others class it as "overrated." Either way, it seems a game I'll have to play eventually, and I really like good RPGs. :D
Would Final Fantasy VII be good to start off with? Oh, and are either Sora, Riku or Kairi from Kingdom Hearts in any of the games?

Rivendell 14-02-07 20:05

I'd recommend going from FF7 onwards (solely because it's what I did!) I like the plots better in FF7/8/9 than in any of them before it, and find that I can relate to the characters a lot more and get much more drawn into the plot :tmb:

Angelus 14-02-07 20:15

I've never really liked FF, tbh.

Mad Tony 14-02-07 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus (Post 1575908)
I've never really liked FF, tbh.

Well then don't post here.
If you don't like it, then what's the point in posting in here?

Forwen 14-02-07 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alive_and_Funky (Post 1575859)
I plan to get into the Final Fantasy series someday. I've heard a lot of people saying that VII is the greatest, while others class it as "overrated."

Nonono! It's too much of a love-or-hate title to risk getting disappointed like that! (And it's also one of the greatest mistakes of a history, plastering the name of a legend on something like that)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Tony (Post 1575910)
Well then don't post here.
If you don't like it, then what's the point in posting in here?

'Cos nowhere in the thread title it says "praise only please", I think.

Mad Tony 14-02-07 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forwen (Post 1575951)
'Cos nowhere in the thread title it says "praise only please", I think.

True, but I've been slammed by people for saying the exact same thing before. :wve:

Forwen 14-02-07 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Tony (Post 1575963)
True, but I've been slammed by people for saying the exact same thing before. :wve:

Was it Angelus or me? (that's a rhetorical question - this is getting way too far into OT atm, sorry)

By the way, has anyone here ever heard of R=U theory? Gotta say this is one of the reasons I love FFVIII so much.

Alive_and_Funky 14-02-07 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivendell (Post 1575869)
I'd recommend going from FF7 onwards (solely because it's what I did!) I like the plots better in FF7/8/9 than in any of them before it, and find that I can relate to the characters a lot more and get much more drawn into the plot :tmb:

Thanks for the advice.

What are the originals like anyway? I don't really mind if the plots aren't too good, I just want the adventure itself to be good. :p
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forwen (Post 1575951)
Nonono! It's too much of a love-or-hate title to risk getting disappointed like that! (And it's also one of the greatest mistakes of a history, plastering the name of a legend on something like that)

Sorry, but it's a risk I have to take. What don't you like about it anyway? I have heard that *possible spoiler* Cloud dresses in drag *end of spoiler*, is that a reason why?

Forwen 14-02-07 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alive_and_Funky (Post 1576021)
Thanks for the advice.

What are the originals like anyway? I don't really mind if the plots aren't too good, I just want the adventure itself to be good. :p

Sorry, but it's a risk I have to take. What don't you like about it anyway? I have heard that *possible spoiler* Cloud dresses in drag *end of spoiler*, is that a reason why?

You know, once I decided to try and sum up my opinion on what's wrong with FFVII in a form of an article. So far it's got about 20 pages in MS Word :o

I think you shouldn't start out with FFVII because it's already a relict - something to know, but probably not to enjoy. It's a history of FF, not its present - it's got a plot full of holes (way beyond "open to interpretation"), mostly sketchy (and I believe cheap) characters, unbalanced narration, rather frustrating battle system (not as much as FFIX though). Imo starting with FFVII in this day 'n' age is like watching a film you've wanted to see for ages on a monochrome TV. Sure it's history, but it's not exciting anymore - even worse if you were convinced before that monochrome TV is the best thing that can happen to a film fan.

By the way - nope, I had no problem with a drag ;) Why should I? This scene was actually one of the better ones in the entire game, and one of the very few moments I actually smiled. Not surprising, as first 7-10 hours if the game are in my opinion the most polished.

Kiss-Bite 14-02-07 20:53

I'm so excited right now as i know that FF12 is being released here in the UK next week after a wait that has seemed like an eternity!:jmp: I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan & love them all for a different reasons.:)

Hyper_Crazy 14-02-07 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiss-Bite (Post 1576076)
I'm so excited right now as i know that FF12 is being released here in the UK next week after a wait that has seemed like an eternity!:jmp: I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan & love them all for a different reasons.:)

I'm not really excited about FFXII really, since FFX the games have kind of got worse...

Angelus 14-02-07 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Tony (Post 1575910)
Well then don't post here.
If you don't like it, then what's the point in posting in here?

The thread is called "General Final Fantasy Thread", and I was just giving my general opinion on FF. Sorry if I've annoyed you or something. :)

Mad Tony 14-02-07 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus (Post 1576102)
The thread is called "General Final Fantasy Thread", and I was just giving my general opinion on FF. Sorry if I've annoyed you or something. :)

Well you did a little, because I just don't see the point in posting if there isn't even gonna be a reason why. :wve:

Alive_and_Funky 14-02-07 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forwen (Post 1576073)
You know, once I decided to try and sum up my opinion on what's wrong with FFVII in a form of an article. So far it's got about 20 pages in MS Word :o

I think you shouldn't start out with FFVII because it's already a relict - something to know, but probably not to enjoy. It's a history of FF, not its present - it's got a plot full of holes (way beyond "open to interpretation"), mostly sketchy (and I believe cheap) characters, unbalanced narration, rather frustrating battle system (not as much as FFIX though). Imo starting with FFVII in this day 'n' age is like watching a film you've wanted to see for ages on a monochrome TV. Sure it's history, but it's not exciting anymore - even worse if you were convinced before that monochrome TV is the best thing that can happen to a film fan.

By the way - nope, I had no problem with a drag ;) Why should I? This scene was actually one of the better ones in the entire game, and one of the very few moments I actually smiled. Not surprising, as first 7-10 hours if the game are in my opinion the most polished.

I see. Well, I still plan to play it (I doubt anything you say will change my mind about that :p), but I'll think hard about which one to play first.

About the drag thing, I wasn't implying that you have a problem with one, I just thought that it might have been out of place. I'm not sure when and why that happens in the game though, so I just sort of jumped to the conclusion that it might have been a stupid thing that was put in the game. By "stupid thing that was put in," I mean something which leaves you thinking "Why the heck is that in the game?", you know what I mean?

Legend of Lara 14-02-07 21:28

I like FFXII. It has a great battle system.

Forwen 14-02-07 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alive_and_Funky (Post 1576160)
I see. Well, I still plan to play it (I doubt anything you say will change my mind about that :p), but I'll think hard about which one to play first.

I'm not trying to discourage you from playing it - if only because it's advisable and welcome to know what people are discussing all over the game world ;) Just urging you to reconsider playing it as your first FF, because some concepts are way out of date and not fun anymore.

Oh well - that was an opinion of a one that is from the haters' camp anyway. Believe me, no matter what FF you'll ask about you will always get black&white opinions, so I guess you will just go your own way with the series, as most do.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alive_and_Funky (Post 1576160)
About the drag thing, I wasn't implying that you have a problem with one, I just thought that it might have been out of place. I'm not sure when and why that happens in the game though, so I just sort of jumped to the conclusion that it might have been a stupid thing that was put in the game. By "stupid thing that was put in," I mean something which leaves you thinking "Why the heck is that in the game?", you know what I mean?

Yep, now I do. And even though it's a tad controversial scene in FF fanbase I didn't have a problem with it. It was absurd, and I like absurdity ;)

Megalith 14-02-07 21:42

I'm a second gen FF Fan (FFVII was the first i played),and i love everything FF related (yes,even X-2).
I can't wait to play FFXII!!!
After that i will have to buy FFIII...arrrgg,too many games too play and so little time!!!:D

Yuna´s Wish 14-02-07 21:58

Currently playing FFVIII. Planning on getting Bahamut, Eden and Doomtrain now. Then, Ultimecia´s Castle! :D I love this game...

My thoughts:

Best Plot/Story: FFX
Best Ending ever: FFX
Worst Ending ever: FFXII
Best gameplay: FFXII
Best and most used Summons: FFVIII
Best Love Story: FFX
Best Character: Yuna
Worst Character: Irvine Kinneas (he kind of forgot his personality at home when the game was made)
Perfect Couple: Squall and Rinoa

:)

Yes, random thoughts, but I like them :P

Hyper_Crazy 14-02-07 22:01

I think the best love story was Squall and Rinoa.

Rivendell 14-02-07 22:04

I think the best love story was Zidane and Garnet :D That final clip is just so touching!

Forwen 14-02-07 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish (Post 1576272)
Worst Character: Irvine Kinneas (he kind of forgot his personality at home when the game was made)

I say he's got some, but true, I wouldn't call him a deep character.

Uh oh, do I smell potential FFXII spoilers coming up?

Yuna´s Wish 14-02-07 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyper_Crazy (Post 1576277)
I think the best love story was Squall and Rinoa.

I thought so too...I remembered it so amazing...but after replaying FFVIII (these days, I´m on disc 3, after the Ragnarok and before the Lunatic Pandora events with Raijin, Fujin and Seifer) I got to the conclusion that he is the weirdest guy ever. I remembered the Ragnarok moment between them really romantic...but he was quite cold all the time (not Alllll the time, but most of the time). I was disappointed.
Tidus and Yuna´s love is full of wishes, promises for a better life, hopes for the future, a charming song (Suteki da ne), tears, dramatic moments (ending, lake Macalania, Al Bhed site -when he understands she is to die when summoning the Final Aeon-). I love everything about their relationship and would have been the hapiest person with a FFX-3!:p

Yuna´s Wish 14-02-07 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forwen (Post 1576297)
Uh oh, do I smell potential FFXII spoilers coming up?

No, don´t worry, I won´t say anything that might spoil you any detail :D I was just criticizing the ending.

Hyper_Crazy 14-02-07 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish (Post 1576301)
I thought so too...I remembered it so amazing...but after replaying FFVIII (these days, I´m on disc 3, after the Ragnarok and before the Lunatic Pandora events with Raijin, Fujin and Seifer) I got to the conclusion that he is the weirdest guy ever. I remembered the Ragnarok moment between them really romantic...but he was quite cold all the time (not Alllll the time, but most of the time). I was disappointed.
Tidus and Yuna´s love is full of wishes, promises for a better life, hopes for the future, a charming song (Suteki da ne), tears, dramatic moments (ending, lake Macalania, Al Bhed site -when he understands she is to die when summoning the Final Aeon-). I love everything about their relationship and would have been the hapiest person with a FFX-3!:p

Well Squall can be cold hearted some, well near enough all the time, but at the end of disk 2 where Rinoa is possessed by the Sorceress (Ultimitia) he shows more emotions, mainly to do with Rinoa. At when they are in the Ragnarok in Space there was a real romantic scene, and when he rescues her from the Sorceress Memorial place (I can't remember the name). Actually I am not sure which was a better Love Story, thanks Yuna's Wish lol.

Legend of Lara 14-02-07 22:13

What kind of "bad" was XII's ending? Disappointing? Shocking? Cheesy? Confusing?

Yuna´s Wish 14-02-07 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyper_Crazy (Post 1576316)
Actually I am not sure which was a better Love Story, thanks Yuna's Wish lol.

You´re welcome! :D I´m sure Squall can be cold hearted (REALLY) some times...but he´s quite a different person when he carries her to Esthar, while she´s sleeping, and when he is so desperate to save her when she is floating nowhere in space. I still wonder how did Rinoa resist so much time hanging in Balamb Garden´s ledge while waiting to be rescued :p However, I love the game!

Mad Tony 14-02-07 22:19

Who here thought Black Waltz No.3 was just awesome? :D
Reminds me of Natla a little bit.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.