Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Fan and Community Showcase (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tomb Raider Fanfiction Competition #6 - Entries (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=164947)

Ward Dragon 20-02-10 05:46

Tomb Raider Fanfiction Competition #6 - Entries

[CENTER][img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/WraithStar/Fanficcomp6banner.jpg[/img][/CENTER]

Alright, so here's the backstory -- Lara has been poisoned (oh noes!) and she only has 24 hours to live. She must find the antidote to the poison in an ancient tomb. All of the details are up to you.

Who poisoned her and why, or was the poisoning an accident with nobody else involved? Where is the antidote located? How will she obtain it? Will she obtain it? Does she have any help or is she going it alone? Will she make preparations for her death or will she not consider failure to be an option? Be creative, answer these questions in your own unique way and come up with your own ideas that build upon the backstory. The questions are a guideline for inspiration but don't feel restricted to them if you have a different approach (as long as it follows the backstory) :)

[B][COLOR="Red"]The deadline is March 20th (one month from this thread being posted)[/COLOR][/B]

[B][U]Rules:[/U][/B]
[LIST][*]Word limit suggested between 100 - 5000 words (I expect most entries will be around 2000 words, but I like giving flexibility if it is needed -- see quote below)[*]Use proper spelling and grammar[*]Leave a blank line between paragraphs for the purposes of posting the entry on the forums[*]The entry must follow the backstory outlined above (but answering all of the questions is optional)[*]The entry must be original, your own work, and specifically written for this competition[*]The entry may refer to anything from the official games, but not to another person's fan-created content[*]One official entry per person (if you post more than one that's fine, but indicate which entry will be voted upon)[*]All entries must be posted in this thread by the deadline[*]Every participant must vote in the subsequent voting thread in order to have their own entry count[/LIST]
I think I got everything important (and these rules can be adjusted if absolutely necessary) so venture forth, start typing, and have fun :D Also, credit to Eddie Haskell for giving me the idea of poisoning Lara :mis:

[QUOTE=Quasimodo;4386510]Instead of a word limit, I'd propose simply warning writers that when it comes to voting, they'll likely be judged by how well they 'hook' the reader rather than on the strength of the story as a whole.[/QUOTE]

Eddie Haskell 20-02-10 14:37

What a great idea! :D

I'll dust off MS word and get something done. Don't know if I can stay under the word limit and create something worthwhile, but I'll try.

Ward Dragon 20-02-10 14:43

[QUOTE=Eddie Haskell;4385099]What a great idea! :D [/quote]

Naturally :pi:

[QUOTE=Eddie Haskell;4385099]I'll dust off MS word and get something done. Don't know if I can stay under the word limit and create something worthwhile, but I'll try.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, do you really expect to write more than 5,000 words? :eek: Well I suppose creativity comes first, so write the story and then we'll see if it's over the limit or not :)

Minty Mouth 20-02-10 15:05

I will enter this time, I [B]will[/B]!

In fact I will start it now, as otherwise I will porobably forget about it again . . . .

Rai 20-02-10 15:06

Excellent idea Jenni (and Eddie). :tmb:

I will certainly give this a go, but it's quite a challenge. *puts thinking cap on*

Eddie Haskell 20-02-10 15:19

[QUOTE=Ward Dragon;4385119]Naturally :pi:

Whoa, do you really expect to write more than 5,000 words? :eek: Well I suppose creativity comes first, so write the story and then we'll see if it's over the limit or not :)[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't put a word count on my creativity. Whatever flows out and gets attached to the page is in it. So I set no limits, partularly if I happen to hit upon something that "clicks".

Lemmie 20-02-10 17:30

What a fantastic competition idea! I'm in! :tmb:

aurora89 20-02-10 17:59

[quote] The entry may refer to anything from the official games, but not to another person's fan-created content[/quote]

Could you clarify this a little? :p Does this mean I can't, say, have Amanda working with Lara later on after the games?

Hoping to enter; I have a ton of homework the next few weeks so we'll see, but maybe over spring break...

Ward Dragon 20-02-10 18:05

[QUOTE=aurora89;4385825]Could you clarify this a little? :p Does this mean I can't, say, have Amanda working with Lara later on after the games?[/QUOTE]

You could do that :) What I meant is that you can't use unique ideas from someone else's story. So, if someone wrote a story where the Doppelganger worked with Kurtis and killed Karel (hee hee) you can't refer to that in your own story as if it actually happened. First of all, people may not have read any other fan fics but they should still be able to understand everything that's going on in your entry. Secondly, since this is a competition, it's not fair to use someone else's ideas as part of your entry (especially if they didn't give permission). So I thought it best to put that directly in the rules :)

ShadyCroft 20-02-10 19:13

Oh I may give this one a go ! :jmp: I hope I dont write more than 5000 words. I kinda already have an idea but it sounds too complicated to be less than 5000. :o

I'll try my best.