Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Level Editor (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Something strange I encountered (stretching polygons bug) (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=67778)

ELEN 22-06-06 00:30

Something strange I encountered (stretching polygons bug)

... and I have no idea how it is called, so I can search about it. It's the first time I see it. Anyway, see below :confused: And it happened suddenly. Five minutes before, I had run the level without problems. The only thing I did was to add a flyby sequence, but I removed it.

I'm just wondering if I ever finish this damn level! *sigh*

In case you can't see it, a part of Lara stretches to the left.

[IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e18/elen_gr/stretch_lara.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you.

Betal 22-06-06 00:34

sometimes that happends me too. don't know how to fix it:hea:

Pyuaumch 22-06-06 01:32

Right, i've also encountered this bug few times in various custom levels. Try to find an object which causes this bug (i. e. which object Lara "shares" vertex with) and remove or move it. Also try to restart your PC, cause sometimes this bug can disappear without any visible reasons or just after restarting of a PC... Also maybe you should try to use Paolone's vertex buffer patch... who knows...

GodOfLight 22-06-06 03:04

yes, i've encountered this bug a number of times. i think it's called the stretched polygon bug :p not sure though. it's funny that you made this thread elen since i was just about to do the same thing. i was once told this may be due to the level getting to big... and i do happen to use a lot of high-def objects i have made myself in my level. are there no patches out there to fix this? :confused:

ELEN 22-06-06 04:08

[quote=Pyuaumch]Try to find an object which causes this bug (i. e. which object Lara "shares" vertex with) and remove or move it. [/quote]

The WAD I use has not been modified at all since I started building the level. I never had this problem. It appeared suddenly. Also, restarting my PC didn't do the trick.

[QUOTE=GodOfLight]i was once told this may be due to the level getting to big... and i do happen to use a lot of high-def objects i have made myself in my level.[/QUOTE]

No custom objects for me. And I can't say that the level got big. It was the same when the problem occured (I mean before and after the problem). Maybe the amount of objects? I'll play around, but if anyone knows what causes this problem, it would save me some time.

Thanks for your replies.

GodOfLight 22-06-06 04:12

[QUOTE=ELEN]
No custom objects for me. And I can't say that the level got big. It was the same when the problem occured (I mean before and after the problem). Maybe the amount of objects? I'll play around, but if anyone knows what causes this problem, it would save me some time.

Thanks for your replies.[/QUOTE]

yes, it could be the amount of objects. as i said, i'm using a large number of objects, plus i also have a high-poly lara skin in my level. so it could be any of the reasons. i do hope we find a proper solution though, because i don't think anyone up until now has figured out EXACTLY what causes this *sigh*

isn't there a patch that allows one to increase the amount of objects and textures that can bu used in one's level? :confused:

ELEN 22-06-06 05:10

[quote=GodOfLight]
isn't there a patch that allows one to increase the amount of objects and textures that can bu used in one's level? :confused:[/quote]

Yes. There is one patch and as far as I know (because I haven't used it), the only thing that it can't do is to get the kids from school :D

Ok, I'll start checking each room and get rid of the objects I don't really need.

GodOfLight 22-06-06 06:22

[QUOTE=ELEN]Yes. There is one patch and as far as I know (because I haven't used it), the only thing that it can't do is to get the kids from school :D
[/QUOTE]

:vlol: well, there are SOME things that at the moment these patches can't do :p but hopefully this will not be for long :jmp:

so, wise-and-mighty-patch-creators... is there some feature that *could* fix this stretched poly issue by some chance? :)

*EDIT*

i found my old thread from last year when i encountered this problem the first time:

[url]http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=35584[/url]

and according to that the solution was to scale down all the textures in my wad with strpix.

ELEN 22-06-06 07:21

I fixed the problem by removing a couple of animated objects and their triggers. So, I guess it has to do with everything. I checked my WAD and I need all objects. Maybe I'll sacrifice some, because I feel I have pushed the level to its limits.

In general, I have this problem. I always get the error message about the maximum number of objects (that is about 1,000 or so) and I start deleting. The patch fixes this "problem". Once I give the level to George, the next one will be built with the patch. The end!! :p

QRS 22-06-06 08:22

I have seen this a number of times too. I guess there are various factors but mostly it is due to the wad. Changing things, adding etc. The sounds still there etc. I could recomend you running Pascal's excellent sound tool as it actually fixed this problem for me the last time I had it.