Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Technical Support (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Windows Vista - Microsoft Works Word Processor Crashes When Pasting (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=162117)

Catracoth 17-12-09 00:02

Windows Vista - Microsoft Works Word Processor Crashes When Pasting

In Microsoft Works Word Processor, whenever I try to paste some text, no matter how little the amount, Word crashes and closes. It's not my computer, it's Microsoft Works Word Processor - I downloaded the trial for Microsoft Office and when I tried to paste in Word there, it works perfectly. Is there a solution for this? It's really a hassle and it's bouncing on my last nerve.

I tried asking for help on the Microsoft page, but people just keep posting links and redirecting me left and right, opposed to just answering my question. Perhaps I can get better help here?

gidierre 17-12-09 00:47

[QUOTE=Catracoth;4224046]In Microsoft Works Word Processor, whenever I try to paste some text, no matter how little the amount, Word crashes and closes. It's not my computer, it's Microsoft Works Word Processor - I downloaded the trial for Microsoft Office and when I tried to paste in Word there, it works perfectly. Is there a solution for this?[/QUOTE]
I have Vista too (Home 32bit SP2) and MS Works v. 8.5
and I can paste [I]ad libitum[/I].

What MS Works v. do you have? Was it installed by oem or did you do it?
You have the disk to reinstall Works?

Have you tried pasting indirect, I mean:
copy/paste from X to notepad, then copy from notepad to Works?

Have you (OK that's fully OT:tea:) some connection with Firenze,[I] Italia [/I]? :)

Catracoth 17-12-09 00:49

I have no idea what the version is - I bought the computer preloaded with Microsoft Works. I do sometimes paste into Notepad but it doesn't always work, and it's too much of a hassle. Also, sometimes Notepad screws up the text alignment because of the lack of margins.

gidierre 17-12-09 01:00

[QUOTE=Catracoth;4224096]I have no idea what the version is[/QUOTE]
just click on the [B]?[/B] icon -> Info on MS Works and you'll know[QUOTE=Catracoth;4224096]I bought the computer preloaded with Microsoft Works[/QUOTE]
then you ideally should have the oem cdrom with the Works setup to reinstall in case of trouble
[QUOTE=Catracoth;4224096]I do sometimes paste into Notepad but it doesn't always work
Also, sometimes Notepad screws up the text alignment because of the lack of margins.[/QUOTE]
surely notepad will lose some format info (you can try with [I]Wordpad[/I] instead as the application in the middle)
but that was meant to discover if it can be done at all

also, you should try paste in Works with the [I]paste special [/I] option.

Catracoth 17-12-09 01:26

It didn't come with a disc, and it's version 9.0. I tried pasting it special as unformatted text, and it worked perfectly. Is there a way to make it always paste unformatted when I paste regularly with CTRL V?

aktrekker 17-12-09 01:37

It automatically chooses the best format depending on the type of document you have open.
You might be able to change this in the program options and force it to always paste plain text.

Catracoth 17-12-09 01:57

I would I go about editing the program options?

EscondeR 17-12-09 06:52

One more question: does it crash on every paste, except unformatted text, or on some specific formats/source applications?

Turn on "Paste parameters" button:
Service > Settings > Edit tab, tick "Show Paste settings button" option.

Thus you can control what format the fragment you're pasting will be put in.

You can also press Settings button there and untick everything, except first option (apply the Word97 settings set).

Catracoth 18-12-09 03:20

From what I've experienced, it crashes whenever I try to paste anything that isn't unformatted. If go and paste plain out text from the air, it will crash, unless I do what was suggested and "paste special." As for the Settings, I can't find that anywhere in the Task Launcher or Word Processor :confused:.

Nevertheless, I appreciate all the help I've been getting - much more effective than that from the company of which the product was made :rolleyes:.