Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Rise of the Tomb Raider (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Had Rise Been the First Game In the Reboot Trilogy? (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=220204)

TrustyBow 23-05-18 03:52

Had Rise Been the First Game In the Reboot Trilogy?

Could that have worked? I liked TR13 but I feel like it would've been just as good to go straight into Rise Lara. It's still early enough in her career.

JoelCaesar 23-05-18 05:09

I doubt it because there was too little backstory for Lara. We wouldn't care about Jonah and hate her father even more.

Ahmier 23-05-18 05:16

I think it would’ve worked. Probably would be better if it didn’t have the father involvement.

Horus-Goddess 23-05-18 07:17

Honestly I would have forgotten a lot about TR2013 if it hadn't been for the fact I occassionally try replaying it now and then (though I don't usually get far passed shanty town because I lose interest...). I think with a slightly different script and a little more backstory, going right to Rise could have worked. She still ends up stranded somewhere having to survive so it could work with some tweaking. Plus the original origin story she had survived a plane crash in the Himalayas which, while isn't the same exact location as in Rise obviously, it could've been a similar parallel.

Suppose what I'm saying is with some tweaks, it could've worked well as the origin story. I certainly prefer it over TR13 which felt like a teen's interpretation of what "edgy, mature" writing/game design is. I am not a fan of the way over the top gore in the first reboot game. But Rise had much less of that edgy shock-factor going on and paid more attention to historical sort of environments with some interesting backstory which I really liked. Although the Himiko story was also really good, if only they'd followed through with Lara having to face the difficult life-changing decision of having to kill Sam in order to kill the queen as they'd originally planned. Would've been way more impactful then. The end in Rise could've been better too, but I digress.

Short answer is it could have worked with a few things tweaked. I don't think there's any getting around the fact people are kind of tired of the parents story, but that's CD's version of Lara so I don't see them ever really abandoning that.

Grimaldi 23-05-18 09:08

It might’ve worked, but would’ve been far less interesting imo.

biscuits 23-05-18 09:16

It would work because the game expands a lot more on Lara's history than TR2013 does. The premise isn't as compelling tho.

Mickybyrne20 23-05-18 11:09

If they cut out 70% if fights from both games, then the games could've been one continuum. I always say that Rise and the reboot could've been one complete game. It would've been a 10/10 masterpiece.

Lara's progression would've been a lot more visible. The 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' title would have had real purpose, instead of just confusing fans. "Hasn't she already risen"?

On top of that, the running theme of immortality would've been interesting. Lara encounters two different, yet similar immortal beings.

There could've been an ongoing battle between Himiko and the prophet. So many ways to intertwine the two stories.

Yeauxleaux 23-05-18 12:30

[QUOTE=Mickybyrne20;7886965]If they cut out 70% if fights from both games, then the games could've been one continuum. I always say that Rise and the reboot could've been one complete game. It would've been a 10/10 masterpiece.

Lara's progression would've been a lot more visible. The 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' title would have had real purpose, instead of just confusing fans. "Hasn't she already risen"?

On top of that, the running theme of immortality would've been interesting. Lara encounters two different, yet similar immortal beings.

There could've been an ongoing battle between Himiko and the prophet. So many ways to intertwine the two stories.[/QUOTE]Basically shorten both, cutting out the fluff, and combine them? I actually do like that idea, it might make the stories of both feel more tight as well. It would have been more forgivable and perhaps even made narrative sense for Rise to basically repeat a lot of the same themes again too.

AimlessThunder 23-05-18 14:05

[QUOTE=Mickybyrne20;7886965]If they cut out 70% if fights from both games, then the games could've been one continuum. I always say that Rise and the reboot could've been one complete game. It would've been a 10/10 masterpiece.
[/QUOTE]

The games already have scores in the 90's.

Chamayoo 23-05-18 16:02

I think the story should keep the Yamatai plot. As an origin story it's quite impactful.
As for the gameplay it should definitely be like Rise. For instance manual health and swimming should be there since the start. Not only it fits the initial TR formula but it totally fits the survival gameplay. Regenerated health is CoD or a blasphemy tbh, it screams "try hard to be trendy". The ratio in gunfights is better too in Rise.