Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Eckhardts Immortality Plot hole? (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=190990)

Profc 05-05-12 02:21

Eckhardts Immortality Plot hole?

According to the games storyline Eckhardt is the black alchemist. He was trapped in a pit for 500 hundred years.

Before this incident he made a deal with the Nephilim to live forever.

This is the removed quote from the game.

"Autumn 1345 Prague. I have 100 summers to prepare for the revivifying of the Nephilim bloodline. And the reward for my labours will be immortality."

How did he survive for 100 years? Lets just assume that Nephilim just extended his life for 100 years. Then there is this problem.

"1425. By the means of human sacrifice the Sanglyph is complete! I have today cast the Nephilim metals into five symbols of power."

He was captured shortly after this incident.We know that Karel usually kills someone when he no longer needs them.

So at what point Eckhardt became completely immortal? If he wasn't immortal and he was merely stealing the life force of others then how did he survive those 500 years inside the pit?

I also got the idea that he was immortal ever since he made the deal with the Nephilim. And he was merely trying to rule them after that point.

I once read that the periapt shards can kill Eckhardt permanently. During the bombing one of the shards got separated from the other two. How come those shards didn't kill Eckhardt back then?

Greenkey2 06-05-12 13:39

One theory goes that Eckhardt made a pact with the Nephilim during the Lux Veritatis' 'secret war' against the Black Alchemist. As a condition for assisting with the revival of the Nephilim race, Eckhardt was granted immortality. This could easily have taken place before Eckhardt's original 'reign of terror' really got going - a campaign lasting over a century suits the spirit of the game and his character.

Then of course it all went pear-shaped. Eckhardt was captured, imprisoned and the five Obscura Paintings he'd created (carrying pieces of the Sanglyph) were placed under lock and key by the Lux Veritatis. The pact didn't expire, and neither did Eckhardt. He may have had the edge taken off his sanity by spending 500 years suspended in a bottomless chasm, but therein lies the poetic justice the Lux Veritatis probably wanted to invoke. With all three Shards, they had the means to kill him; but (and this is the only reason that makes sense) they [B][I]chose [/I][/B]not to.

Again with the Shards, it seems that they were simply used to confine him in the Pit. How? I have no idea :o They're the kryptonite to Eckhardt's evil mojo, maybe.

SLAYER 12-05-12 20:47

I remember having the same thoughts a few years back. thinking if the LV captured eckhardt and they had the shards why not kill him?

I had several crazy theories. like maybe the LV weren't really the good people we though they were, maybe they were after his powers... etc

Caesum 12-05-12 21:40

The most intriguing thing as for me is that shards were used by Lux Veritatis to [U]imprison[/U] Eckhardt. Yet, during World War II one of three shards was separated from others and it gave Eckhardt possibility to escape. The thing is though, if all three shards were used, why Eckhardt was imprisoned and not killed?

Laras Boyfr. 12-05-12 21:52

[QUOTE=Caesum;6164732]The most intriguing thing as for me is that shards were used by Lux Veritatis to [U]imprison[/U] Eckhardt. Yet, during World War II one of three shards was separated from others and it gave Eckhardt possibility to escape. The thing is though, if all three shards were used, why Eckhardt was imprisoned and not killed?[/QUOTE]

The 3 shards were apparently not stuck in his body, but maybe in chains or similar