Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider II (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Reference to hypothetical N64 game in EGM article (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=215893)

WhoIAm 23-08-16 12:02

Reference to hypothetical N64 game in EGM article

I was reading [URL="http://wayback.archive.org/web/20120220050716/http://www.laracroft.name/archive/97-12.php"]this pre-release article[/URL] when I stumbled on a strange statement:

[QUOTE]...word from Eidos is that an N64 Lara Croft game is in the works from U.K.-based developer Core Design, but it'll be a different game from Tomb Raider 2.[/QUOTE]

Is there anything out there to substantiate this claim?

ThatSassyKid 23-08-16 12:17

I can't seem to find anything on Google about it :o

NoahCrofRaider 23-08-16 12:29

It's probably just the old, shut-down, N64 release of TR1. It got shut down due to what I believe was financial problems;that and the fact that Toby Gard wasn't going to work on it. The N64 port might've had special features planned, but it's hard to say exactly.

Wooxman 23-08-16 12:33

I've heard that there were quite a few reasons for cancelling the N64 game like lack of space on the cartridge. And Sony's console exclusivity deal also could've something to do with it.

_Alex_ 23-08-16 20:30

Wasn't TR1 released on the Sega Dreamcast? Or was is an exclusive after? :ponder:

Kirishima 23-08-16 21:12

[QUOTE=_Alex_;7640329]Wasn't TR1 released on the Sega Dreamcast? Or was is an exclusive after? :ponder:[/QUOTE]

Only Last Revelation and Chronicles were released. 3 was apparently planned according to some alpha or beta version of the game, but never happened. The first game was released on the Saturn, however.

_Alex_ 23-08-16 21:34

[QUOTE=Kirishima;7640345]Only Last Revelation and Chronicles were released. 3 was apparently planned according to some alpha or beta version of the game, but never happened. The first game was released on the Saturn, however.[/QUOTE]

Oh, so the Saturn came out before the Dreamcast. Im not that familier with Sega consoles. I knew LR and TRC were for the Dreamcast, I was just confused on TR 1 :D

So then TR2 was the only PSX Exclusive out of the trilogy?

LaraCablara 23-08-16 21:59

Would this game have worked on the n64? Ps1 games all had that sharp blocky look while n64 games had a more rounded blurry look. I'd imagine it would be covered in a ton of fog like most n64 games :p

Teeth 23-08-16 22:03

I still dream of what Tomb Raider on the Nintendo 64 would have been like...the console couldn't do FMVs or CD audio, so they would have had to render all the cutscenes in-game, and the music would have to be midi-fied. It would have been SO different to the PS1 games, and that fascinates me.

Sadly for a brief moment in time, Sony enforced that Tomb Raider couldn't be made available on any console other than the PlayStation. I bet they didn't like getting a taste of their own medicine last year when Rise was initially made an Xbox One exclusive!

Anyway, the graphics would have been a hell of a lot slicker and less pixelated than on the PS1. It had some cool shader effects, so I imagine it would have looked somewhere midway between the PC and PS1 versions. Also, no loading screens or memory cards...man, it would have been awesome.

I wish we had more Tomb Raider on Nintendo. I love that they released LAU on the GameCube and Wii. Tomb Raider Legend being on the GameCube is so strange. I can't believe the game is that old already.

Where the hell is my Tomb Raider 3DS port?!

Kirishima 23-08-16 22:11

[QUOTE=Teeth;7640370]I still dream of what Tomb Raider on the Nintendo 64 would have been like...the console couldn't do FMVs or CD audio, so they would have had to render all the cutscenes in-game, and the music would have to be midi-fied. It would have been SO different to the PS1 games, and that fascinates me.

Sadly for a brief moment in time, Sony enforced that Tomb Raider couldn't be made available on any console other than the PlayStation. I bet they didn't like getting a taste of their own medicine last year when Rise was initially made an Xbox One exclusive!

Anyway, the graphics would have been a hell of a lot slicker and less pixelated than on the PS1. It had some cool shader effects, so I imagine it would have looked somewhere midway between the PC and PS1 versions. Also, no loading screens or memory cards...man, it would have been awesome.

I wish we had more Tomb Raider on Nintendo. I love that they released LAU on the GameCube and Wii. Tomb Raider Legend being on the GameCube is so strange. I can't believe the game is that old already.

Where the hell is my Tomb Raider 3DS port?![/QUOTE]

I would imagine the fmv's would've been rendered as still images, maybe with some text. Texture quality would've probably taken a hit due to cart space and n64's limitations.