Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider on Mobile (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Tomb Raider 2 on Android, my thoughts. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=215232)

Denis 26-06-16 00:30

Tomb Raider 2 on Android, my thoughts.

Having playing the game for awhile now, I can say a few things.

1) It has many HD textures, but some textures are straight from the PS version. Playing it in 1080p certainly makes the old textures look blurry, in many locations. This can be clearly seen inside the opera, the carpets are a blurry mess.

2) There are many times that I have died simply because the damn directional on screen stick decided to keep lara running, even if i took my finger. Plus the fusing of walking in the directional stick is stupid. Many times i tried to avoid enemies by stepping back, but lara decided to walk instead of hopping backwards, this happens many times and it's frustrating. I wish there was an option to decide if i want walking in the directional stick, i only want running.

3) There are issues with the audio. I'm playing the game on Xperia Z5 which has stereo speakers (one on top and one on bottom bezel). Sometimes certain sound effects only sound from one of the speakers, instead of both. Like when lara surfaces the breath sound sometimes can only be heard from the right speaker. (no it's not my Z5, other games run flawlessly, including nintendo ds games. Even if they are emulated).

4) There are issues with the music tracks. While you listen to venice theme for example while driving, and let's say you jump in the water, in the water the music stops immediately. And if you stay in the water for a few seconds and then surface, kaboom. No more venice theme. This happens EVERYWHERE, not in venice alone and it's ruining the ambiance of the game.

Besides these issues, the game is the same. Gorgeous, dangerous etc. If only the port had done better it would be exactly the same PS experience.
Seriously though, .it costs only 0.99 so it's practicaly a steal! You can also download it freely in many websites, but i wouldn't dwell in them. Many viruses and dangerous content for phones, and trust me.. i tried. 0.99 or spend hours trying to find a way to get the damn game?
Better support the franchise, and avoid entirely the mess. Just purchase it, you won't regret it!

SamCactus101 13-07-16 04:49

Thanks for the review. The price is really really good though, I'm contemplating whether to buy the first installment.

I agree certain textures look kinda blurry. But other than a few minor details, the mobile version in general should be okay to play. I'm more worried about the controls. Having no analog stick and using the screen's control is something I hesitate about cause I can't really "feel" the movements like I do on an analog stick. If you get what I mean.

WhoIAm 14-07-16 08:06

[QUOTE=SamCactus101;7613702]Thanks for the review. The price is really really good though, I'm contemplating whether to buy the first installment. [/QUOTE]

Both mobile ports are great, but TR2 is definitely more frustrating since the base game was already more action-oriented and harder than TR1. Also, the mobile version of TR1 is by far the best- runs flawlessly on modern devices without any additional hoops, includes some HD textures, and has both PS1 and PC soundtracks.

So if you enjoyed TR2 mobile, you'd like TR1 mobile even more.

ivaneiroX 14-07-16 23:09

I play with my ps4 controller synced on my android and its great! I really like this port.

sackboy123 14-07-16 23:50

The 4th issue occurred in the PC version

SamCactus101 15-07-16 06:19

[QUOTE=WhoIAm;7614352]Both mobile ports are great, but TR2 is definitely more frustrating since the base game was already more action-oriented and harder than TR1. Also, the mobile version of TR1 is by far the best- runs flawlessly on modern devices without any additional hoops, includes some HD textures, and has both PS1 and PC soundtracks.

So if you enjoyed TR2 mobile, you'd like TR1 mobile even more.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! :tmb: That does help.

tomee 16-07-16 14:54

[QUOTE=Denis;7604158]2) There are many times that I have died simply because the damn directional on screen stick decided to keep lara running, even if i took my finger. Plus the fusing of walking in the directional stick is stupid. Many times i tried to avoid enemies by stepping back, but lara decided to walk instead of hopping backwards, this happens many times and it's frustrating. I wish there was an option to decide if i want walking in the directional stick, i only want running. [/QUOTE]

A similar thing occured to me all the time in Jetpack Joyride on my old Xperia phone. All you need to do is press and hold the screen anywhere to fly and sometimes my character would still fly even if I let go of the screen. I think it was because the touchscreen would detect the heat of my hand, but after having played the game for a longer stretch the phone would heat up and detect as if I was still holding the screen. At least that was my impression because this would always happen only when my phone was hot.