Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Character growth (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=216864)

Moon-Safari 04-12-16 04:37

Character growth

What kind of character growth will you expect to see in the movie? The games were a bit 0-100 in terms of Lara's arch. How do you think the movie will do it differently?

larafan25 04-12-16 04:45

I don't really expect anything different than the reboot.

They will want to show her first kill, they're all very interested in that. They will give it a hint of rape-yness I'm 100.50000% sure. That will be dramatic.

After that, let the killing spree begin. The transition won't seem so dramatic because it will be powered by the hatred of the first kill. I also assume there will be a tiny bit less killing, only because movies are like, an hour long and games are like 4 hours.

I think she will have the same kind of realization at the end of the game, that there is more out there, and she was dumb not to believe her crazy father.

Tonyrobinson 04-12-16 14:30

I think Roar's previous films have shown amazing character growth. The Wave is a great example of what a man will endure to protect his family and society from impending doom, it starts with an ordinary everyday family including a headstrong working mother, a husband who puts his career over his wife and a temperamental teenage son who doesn't respect his father. Through the course if the film the family unit endure hell and realise how much they need eachother. Even the side characters researching the tsunami have been fleshed out and explored to the extent that they feel integral to the plot. The character building is excellent and everyone is fleshed out with their own personality and motive and it really is a testament to the writer of that film.

Even his movie Escape which I expect will be the most like Tomb Raider does a great job at building its main character and somewhat sympathetic villain who surpasses the hierarchy in leading an all male group. The side characters don't really have as much time to shine but the movie only clocks in about an hour and five minutes runtime and in that limited time Roar manages to set up a fast burning and character driven story where an ordinary girl loses her family and gets put through hell at the hand of her captors. The film also explores loss, sexual assault, slavery, first kills, revenge, motherhood and the importance of survival. It sentimental but doesn't out stay it's welcome.

I expect Tomb Raider will lift a lot from the tone of both of these movies. Roar has a way of making the environment in his movie a main character and essential to the plot too be it the run down forests of the wilderness or the caverns and cliffs of a small island. I really look forward to his interpretation on this film. I think it's going to be pretty much likened to the first Hunger Games movie in terms of setting up a new female heroine and making a big budget film feel like an indie drama and I'm very excited about that aspect.

Roar has a good eye for pacing in his films too a characters motives never felt unbelievable in his films and he has a great eye for developing the characters as underdogs in extreme circumstances whilst normalising them. In the game Kara's first kill was followed by a string of murders and bloodlust whereas in that particular section of the game there were no main characters that had died at that point and we didn't see that Lara was doing it for revenge because they hadn't built a strong supporting character being killed at that point to justify all of her killing. Straight off the bat in Escape we see a young girl's family being slaughtered, she is stolen as a sex slave and almost mutilated at the hands of her captors this extremism coupled with the fact that we actually do see somewhat of her family life makes it more believable that she would want revenge and her killing spree is more justified.

SamCactus101 09-12-16 06:11

They say it's going to be an emotional movie with showcasing Lara to be more human. I hope this can be done well maybe once Lara discovers that her father truly is dead. They'll surely dig up some emotional bits there.

Heidi_w_ 09-12-16 10:53

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]While I'm sure the movie will have plenty of action, I'm equally sure Lara's humanity will be its main theme and driving force. I think we'll see less carnage than the game portrayed (what we will see will likely be just as violent and visceral, just less of it) but there's a reason they nabbed Alicia -- her acting chops will be needed. Her ability to emote makes me giddy with anticipation :)[/COLOR]

Tonyrobinson 10-12-16 10:58

I hope personality wise Lara gets a bit more proactive and devil may care in terms of her personality so many of these strong female characters in movies nowadays come off as Mary Sue/shrewish but this has a female writer so I am hopeful they will her character well. The most important thing is that a character must be written as human and relatable on film instead of being written as "female" being their primary characterisation a trope that many male writers fall into.

Lara in the reboot game had a nice edge to her I know people band her about as the scared daddy's girl archetype but she does actually show inititave, smarts and even the odd bit or snark her character is quite well written for the most part.