Tomb Raider Forums

Tomb Raider Forums (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/index.php)
-   Tomb Raider Underworld (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I forgot how good TRU is. (https://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=217568)

PS3_Gamer 20-03-17 05:32

I forgot how good TRU is.

It has been a long time since I played at TRU, and after reading some posts on this forum I decided to reinstall it on my PC. I just played for about 2 hours and I must say it was really fun, this far at least. The only negative thing is that I remember some parts later being pretty hard and rather tedious. But since I played it before, I got to where I am much faster now as I remembered most of what I had to do. I don't know if I will be completing it again because of some parts I have more problems with like when you're on the bike or some platforming near the end. But I must say i'm pretty glad I own this game and that I have played it to the end at least once. And I can easily recommend it to people who like that kind of games.

maikaal 20-03-17 13:38

It's the last real Tomb Raider after all. I played it in 2014 and was surprised that it was classic TR in modern skin, I had expected something along the lines of Legend. The beginning of Thailand is one of my fav game locations. God bless Donald Trump.

dcw123 20-03-17 13:47

Far more memorable and pretty than reboot and Rise.

Thailand just screams classic TR - sadly most of the other levels weren't as good.
When that vocal music plays as Lara sees the temple in the distance :D

Love the old games and LAU mainly because they're so colourful and awe inspiring.

Reboot and Rise is all just brown, grey and bland.
Been playing Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time and was blown away by the graphics and colour use - their forest looks so alive and begs to be explored - unlike Reboot's LOL

Phlip 20-03-17 14:45

[QUOTE=maikaal;7723534]It's the last real Tomb Raider after all. I played it in 2014 and was surprised that it was classic TR in modern skin[/QUOTE]
I feel like at face value it [I]looks[/I] like a modernised classic, but aside from Thailand and Mexico, the whole game has very little meat to it. Add to that the abundance of invisible walls, glitches and lack of classic Lara, I personally disagree when you call it the last true TR.
[QUOTE=dcw123;7723536]Love the old games and LAU mainly because they're so colourful and awe inspiring.[/QUOTE]

Anniversary, Underworld, colourful? They have next to no colour at all combined. Underworld literally has one colour per level. Med: grey. Thailand: Green. Croft Manor: Grey. Mexico: Grey. Rest of the game: Grey-blue. Anniversary was all desaturated, bland cold hues with flat lighting. Unless you somehow were playing TRAE and were referring to the Wii version of Underworld, I don't see how you see them as colourful? :o

Wooxman 20-03-17 16:39

Sometimes I wonder when people started calling the LAU trilogy "classic TRs". Is it because the reboot games are even more different from the classics than the LAU games were? I can't agree with that. On the surface the LAU games look like classic TR since they've a lot of the classic elements. But when you analyse them a bit deeper, it becomes obvious that these elements are implemented only to make them look like classic TR but not to make them feel like it. It's like calling Space Balls a "true" Star Wars film because it has the same surface elements when in reality it has these elements because it's a parody of Star Wars.

Dennis's Mom 20-03-17 17:00

TRU has its moments, for sure. I thought CD made several good moves with TRU. Sadly, for every step forward, they took a step backward. It's alternately engaging and tedious.

Gian Carlo 20-03-17 17:35

When the next reboot comes people will praise the current one. It's always like this... :rolleyes:

Also, I think my TV is broken or something because I can't find any colors in the LAU trilogy

Dennis's Mom 20-03-17 17:44

^^My dad says the best job you'll ever have is the one you just left or the one you're about to get. I think Tomb Raiders are that way. :D

Wooxman 20-03-17 20:12

[QUOTE=Dennis's Mom;7723593]TRU has its moments, for sure. I thought CD made several good moves with TRU. Sadly, for every step forward, they took a step backward. It's alternately engaging and tedious.[/QUOTE]
The Xbox 360 exclusive DLCs are the only good thing about TRU. Beneath the Ashes has a level design akin to the classics and the rooms are made in a way that the clunky controls don't get as annoying as in the main game. And Lara's Shadow has a completely different gameplay which I would've imagined to have in the main game once Lara found all of Thor's gear. It's a shame that these DLCs are Xbox exclusive and even a bigger shame that the whole game wasn't made like this. And the classic costume DLC is cool, too. It's far more faithful to the original costume than the one in TRA.

Blue_light 20-03-17 20:50

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I'm glad you could enjoy the game again. :) Sadly I couldn't share the same feeling with my last playthrough, as my feelings remain: a beautiful game with good music and atmosphere that is very lacking in content. After Mexico it gets really boring imo.

[QUOTE=Phlip;7723549]Underworld literally has one colour per level. Med: grey. [/QUOTE]
Funny, I always considered it as the "orange" level. :p[/COLOR]