View Single Post
Old 11-02-08, 20:13   #4
TrKing_Rulz

--------------
Using TBuilder
--------------

PART 1: Getting to know TBuilder.

On clicking the TBuilder Icon, you may encounter a warning message. Click ‘Run’.

Let’s go through the Interface of TBuilder. The left panel is called the source canvas. This is where you load some textures to add to your final texture set. The right is named the target canvas. This is the space where your finished texture set will be made. Underneath the source canvas, there is a small, light green panel. This is named the source canvas panel. This will show you the information of the source texture set. Underneath the target canvas there is a small, light blue panel. This is named the target canvas panel. Here you will be shown information about the current size of your new canvas. You can edit the size with the buttons either side of the panel. The button on the left side edits width, the one on the right edits length. If you right click and drag, you can test an animation range. Let’s continue.

Above the source canvas there is a drop down list. This will help you choose on how you want to load the texture. There is another drop down list above the target canvas. This will help how you save the file. Let’s load a texture set. But first, if you want to get to know the interface better, surf to PART 3: More Interface.

PART 2: Choosing the correct textures.

Is your level going to be a desert? Iceland? A damp tomb? Well, you’ll need to know which textures to use! I'm going to do a tomb.

I want my level to have some damp ground. So, I’m choosing some foliage textures. I might also want a dart trap, so I’ll add some dart-hole textures. To add a texture, left click it and drag to the correct amount of textures. Now let go. You have now “picked up the textures”. Move the pointer over to the target canvas, and when you have positioned them correct left click once. But, what if we want a texture to be smaller or bigger?

PART 2.5: Resizing & using the clipboard.

Let’s get to know the clipboard. It's in between the two canvases. It can be a very helpful tool.

This shows what texture you have selected.

This will copy all the textures, how they are, onto the target canvas.

This button is used in resizing. If you select Multi Tile, this will “pick up” any texture you select and keep it the same size. If you select 64x64, this will also “pick up” any texture you select, but instantly resize it to 64x64, or one tile. This counts for 128x128, and 256x256.

IMAGE 7

If you select a texture, then press export, if you have misplaced it and deleted it, you can easily just press import and it will become your selected texture.

PART 3: More Interface.

Let’s take a look at the buttons under the source canvas.

In the Grid panel, there are a few buttons. The button with an arrow resets the grid to the original position. The next two buttons toggle the grid lines.

The last select buttons toggle the size of the selector, or “picker upper”.

The Transparency panel changes the transparent settings. The colour extractor can be used to select a colour. Once the colour has been selected, you can click on the pallet and it will “pick up” the colour to be placed on the target canvas.

PART 3.5: Editing textures on the Target Canvas.

PART 4: Known texture errors.

Is your textures loading wrong in the LE?
Here's a few problems that might be yours:
  • Your texture set could be wider than 256. Make sure they are at the most this width!
  • If only a bit of your texture set loads in LE, this could be that you have a totally Magenta texture, as the LE will pick this up and stop loading. To fix, load in TBuilder, and retexture any magenta bits in your target canvas.
  • ARG List too big! THis might mean that your texture set is not in the 'Extra Textures' folder. Place it in here. If it is already in this folder, you might have spaces or illegal characters in the file name of the .tga.
  • Are all you textures scrambled? This could be that your textures are off the gridlines. To fix, select all three buttons on the Grid Panel under the source canvas. THis will show you if they are on the right lines.
  • What are all these funny textures at the bottom of my .tga?! This is normal if you hae extracted these textures. Nothing to worry about.
  • When I load my objects, all the textures are the wrong colour! This is easyily avoided. Just load your texture set first, then your objects.
  • ALl the textures in StrPix get scrambled on my mesh when I import it! This is becuase you've exported this from another WAD and the information about the textures placement is carried over from the other WAD, so StrPix thinks it's uding the right texture. Just retexture your mesh.

Last edited by TrKing_Rulz; 15-02-08 at 14:02.