View Single Post
Old 17-09-17, 14:47   #10
Wooxman

Like:
Levels that are about as challenging as TR I-V and only use classic animations. Some level builders rely too much on copying the LAU formula, which doesn't work with the classic engine and makes some actions overly complicated like jumping from one ledge to the other.

Hate:
The implementation of LAU animations. These animations are made for a dual analogue control scheme and are simply a pain in the arse in a game with tank controls. Also I think that only using classic animations force the designers to be more creative.

Too well hidden paths. In some levels I run around for 15 minutes, trying to find the correct way only to find out that it's hidden behind a certain texture or in a very dark corner. This isn't challenging, it's just frustrating and more often than not I quit playing such a level.

Too many traps that will certainly kill you on your first try. Yes, the classics had a few instances where you couldn't possibly know that there's a trap, but usually Core Design was very fair and experienced players could always avoid traps by being observant. A favourite among custom level builders seem to be corridors with spikes that pop out and retract from the floor and walls with some seconds between intervals. This is not fun! Especially when I have to jump into the corridor before running through it.

Miss:
Creative level design that doesn't rely on new animations. Also: Simple looking levels that aren't filled to the brim with 3D objects that are distracting, sometimes make jumps harder than they should be by being in the way and make it hard to distinguish pick ups from decorative objects. The worst offender are plants with collision in some jungle levels. Sure, it's nice to have a lot of greenery in a jungle level, but please don't put collision on plants that hinder the player. Same with decorative skeletons.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote