View Single Post
Old 29-10-16, 01:30   #11
pipermaru

I actually agree with the OP, but I stopped having expectations about Reboot Lara when I finished playing TR2013 three years ago. She'll never be Classic Lara because she already is a different character, with different motivations and a brand new personality. She just happens to be called Lara Croft, is British, likes exploring and is physically similar to Classic Lara.

I still think Reboot Lara is an ok character and the games are fun - although they could've been improved.

My problem with this reboot, however, is that they based their whole marketing strategy around the idea of "trying to know who Lara Croft is", "getting to know where she came from" and all that jazz, when she is a completely different character and Square never had interest in turning her into the "Lara we all know and love". I think it's cheap PR (and not CD's fault by any means) and there are a lot of people who expect things they can never have.

That's why some fans are always complaining about shorts, braid, dual pistols, etc. when they'll never get these things back, at least not the way they want. And no, I don't buy the whole "she's still growing....". Reboot Lara already is a badass, a very good explorer, an adventurer, etc. She will evolve as a character, but she is fundamentally different from Classic Lara. And that's why I think Square screwed up teling to the fans that this was "an origin story for Lara Croft", implying we would see Classic Lara again.

This is a reboot, period.
pipermaru is offline   Reply With Quote