View Single Post
Old 11-05-08, 22:01   #14
Quasimodo

Default Modding FAQ for the Absolute Beginner

Modding FAQ for the Absolute Beginner

Q: What program do I use to create and use mods?
A: There are two programs you can use to create and use mods: Tomb Ripper and TexMod. TexMod is the most popular and easy to use. You must use Tomb Ripper to run mods made with Tomb Ripper; you must use TexMod to run mods made with TexMod.
Follow this link to download a free copy of either program. TexMod is in the box to the right, Tomb Ripper is in the box to the left. You'll also find links in each for a basic tutorial to run each program.

Q: I downloaded an outfit and put it in Texmod/Tombripper to run it, but I can't find the outfit in the game!

A: There a few ways to troubleshoot this-
*You must unlock the outfits in the game before you can use the outfit mods you download. For example, you must unlock the Biker outfit before you can use a mod that replaces the Biker outfit. Either complete the game including all rewards and time trials, or download a savegame from the Hub.

*Make sure you're not trying to use a Tomb Raider Anniversary mod in Tomb Raider Legend, or vice versa. TRA mods will only work with the TRA game, TRL mods will only work with the TRL game.
Q: What can I do with TexMod/Tomb Ripper?
A: TexMod and Tomb Ripper can only change the textures in the game, not the meshes. For example, you can make Lara's hair blonde but you cannot make it longer or turn it into a mohawk.
You can:
-Change the color of a texture
-Make parts or all of a texture invisible

You cannot:
-Change the shape/form of the meshes of the game. You can't make Lara's hair any longer or turn her into a unicorn.
Q: What programs can I use to edit textures?
A: Almost any image editing program will work for editing textures. The best all-round program you can use is Photoshop. If you cannot afford Photoshop, there are free programs which will work just as well: The Gimp and Paint.NET . Microsoft Paint will also allow you to make some basic texture edits, but it's trickier to make parts or all of a texture transparent.
Quasimodo is offline   Reply With Quote