View Single Post
Old 05-01-17, 17:14   #14
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikky View Post
The same absolutely goes for the gameplay as well; continue evolving it and take even bigger risks, make the game more challenging and ultimately just evolve the gameplay naturally. I'm hoping we'll eventually get a fully open world TR game, where we can take on main tombs in any order we want, much like the new Zelda game. No more huge reboots or "un-boots", just natural progression of a franchise.
Open world TR would not work. Or to work, CD would need a really huge budget and expanded development time, both of which I don't see Square Enix not giving to anyone not involved in the next big Final Fantasy game. Open world games are more keen to macro-level exploration (finding new places in big environments) and Tomb Raider is about micro-level exploration (finding how these self-contained areas work, maybe find some hidden treasure, then solve that area and progress to the next one). I mean, I thought that the Geothermal valley was too big for a TR, and that thing is tiny compared to the map of any open-world game.

An open-world game that is based on both macro and micro-exploration could be made of course. I mean, Zelda Breath of the Wild is shaping to be just that, but that game has been in development for at least 6 years (considering this game has been in development right after they finished Skyward Sword), and again, I just don't see Square Enix giving CD the proper time and resources to do a Tomb Raider game of that scale.

As you said, it is better for CD to follow the natural progression of the franchise, and I don't think open world is the answer. I think evolving the "3D Metroidvania" style CD is going is the best for Tomb Raider, and in this case it means:
  • More mandatory exploration
  • More mandatory puzzles
  • A "calmer" game structure so the player can breath between big action sequences and to make those feel even grander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
As for gameplay , I stand behind Portugalraider's post , not only for the game after Shadow , but it can be a wishlist for Shadow itself too
Yeah, of course my gameplay wishlist could be for SotTR as well! :P

Last edited by Portugalraider; 05-01-17 at 18:51.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote