View Single Post
Old 13-10-15, 18:04   #7
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

OVER 18?

We have created a Mature General Chat forum which we hope will provide a platform for discussion for our mature members. We in no way wish to discriminate against any of our fine younger members, nor do we encourage segregation, but we understand the need to cater for all age groups.

The Mature General Chat forum is in a trial phase, and members of eighteen years of age and older may email me for manual verification and access information. Thank you all for your continued support of our community. We owe our success to each and every one of you, regardless of age.

In order to gain access, you MUST meet the below requirements.
  1. You MUST be 18 years of age or older
  2. You must have a minimum of 100 qualitative posts on our forum
  3. You must be an active member for six months or more

Legal Statement:

By requesting access, you are agreeing that you are 18 years of age or older. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless www.tombraiderforums.com and/or www.tombraiderchronicles.com and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

By requesting access, you also warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws. We reserve the right to take action against any violation of the aforementioned conditions.

www.tombraiderforums.com and/or www.tombraiderchronicles.com reserve the right to change or alter these rules at any time and an administrator's word is final.

PRIVATE MESSAGING AN ADMIN

Please note that I am only able to respond to forum-related enquiries via PM, such as abuse reports or incidents. All other PM's will be deleted. Please don't take that personally. Unfortunately I have the same amount of hours in my day as you have in yours.

GENERAL CHAT

By Elysia

TRF’s Guide to General Chat (or how NOT to give your fellow forumers a headache…)

Popularity and recognition. Everyone wants it; unfortunately, some get it, but for all the wrong reasons.

There are many ways to ensure that you become popular for all the right reasons, and by following the following steps, it is easy to avoid becoming the resident forum joke…

1) What purpose does my thread serve? Are you wanting to share news / something funny / something you wish to discuss with others? Excellent! However, it is worth bearing in mind that a) not everyone is interested in the fact the Britney has been seen wearing new pink earrings / that you have a bit of a cold and it’s making you feel miserable / what you and your mates did down the park on Friday night. Making a popular, memorable thread is all about self moderation: am I actually contributing to the forum in a positive way that will enable others to join in easily? Or am I just trying to essentially up my post count?

2) Does my post further the discussion / actually have any meaning at all? Sometimes responding ‘lol’ is appropriate… but not as often as some people like to think. Before posting, try to ensure that your post is a *quality* post, and you will be remembered for being interesting, not for being the one that responds with smilies and one word replies.

3) Have I treated other posters the way I would wish to be treated? We can’t always agree; such is the rich tapestry of life. However, if you do disagree with someone, you don’t have to express this disagreement with personal insults. So, someone loves something you hate / hates something you love? At the end of the day, they have just as much right to feel the way they do about something as you do. Discuss the topic in hand as objectively as you can rather than getting personal and / or resorting to insults – in other words, treat people the way you would wish to be treated!

4) What kind of image of myself am I presenting to other forumers? It may be easier ‘2 rite liek tis’, but a) it is essentially gibberish and is hard to read, especially to our non-English speakers and b) makes you look like a bit of a prat… Many people tend to link the inability to even attempt to spell / use correct grammar as a sign of a low quality post / a poster with no valid point and therefore worth ignoring. If you met someone in the street, you’d want them to have the best possible impression of you, so why not on the internet? Take pride in your posts and you’ll be respected for it.

5) Is there another thread already out there? The search engine can be your friend here… or simply just make sure you check the day’s posts to ensure you are not posting a duplicate thread. Not only does it help keep the forum tidier, but the moderators will appreciate you forever!

6) Love something? Great! Problem is, no one else does… Sometimes, there are some things that go down like a lead balloon. There are subjects that I could drone on about for hours, but because I know no one here is really that interested, I don’t bother making a thread about them. Again; self moderation is your friend, not something restrictive. It is much better to have 100 quality posts under your belt than 500 useless / uninteresting ones.

Remember – having fun and discussing things is what we are all about… but it is up to YOU, the poster, to be able to make sure that GC is a pleasant, interesting place to visit. Just taking a moment to stop and think about what purpose your thread / post serves makes for better quality posts.

SEARCH TOOLS

By Mr. Burns.

Using the search engine can be a great way to find that old joke you remember posting or to check out old threads. It can also be used to find an answer to a problem you are having, without posting a new thread. This is will help our new members learn the basics on using the search tool.

NOTE: Now while this can be a very useful tool we would like to stress that digging up and posting in old threads, especially ones where they have run their course, is considered necroposting, which is something that is frowned upon.

Part One: Accessing the search tool and finding a member's posts.
There are a few ways to access the search tool as seen below.

Option 1: This can be accessed at any time within the forum itself. It's the quickest and easiest way to search. As you can see you can type in your search criteria and choose to have the results show up as threads or as posts. Choosing the "Show Threads" option will only show the thread title that your criteria appears in. If you are looking for something more specific to a post, then select "Show Posts".

Option 2: This can be accessed when you are in the index of any of our sub forums (General Chat, Video Games Discussion, Fan Art, etc). This option is the same as the primary but the search results will be limited to the forum that you are in at that time.

Option 3: This search option can be found within a thread itself.

This will allow you to search for something within a specific thread only.

NOTE: You can see with all of the windows, there is an option for an advanced search, this will give you more flexibility in what you want to search for.

Option 4:

General method for searching for a member's posts in the whole forum: Simply go to the member's profile page (accessible by clicking the member's avatar or his/her user name and selecting "view public profile"). There you have the option of clicking on either " Find all posts by [Member]" or "Find all threads started by [Member]".

Option 5:

Alternative method of searching in a thread: On the index page of the forum containing the thread you want to search, click the number of replies for that thread. That will bring up a pop-up window containing a list of all the people who posted on that thread, and the number of posts for each. Click the number of posts of the member whose posts you are looking for, and the list will open in the original window.

Part Two: Advanced Search.

In the advanced search option, you can narrow down your criteria by a variety of choices.

This section is split up for demonstrative purposes however you will find both windows are together in the actual search page. Here you can search by keyword. You can search by thread titles only or by the entire post. Below that are your quantity and time requirements. Here you can search for threads with so many replies, from so many days, months, years, etc backwards, have your results go as far back as you want to (Ie: the beginning or six months back) as well as having your results displayed as threads or as posts, the same as mentioned above in Part One.

Section 1: User Name.

In this option you can search by user name. You can set the options to find posts by a certain person or threads that they started. If you are unsure as to the correct spelling of a member's name, once you start typing in the name, user names that match the first few letters will drop down below. Once you have found the correct member's name, click it and it will auto enter into the search field.

Section 2: Forum options

Here you can specify which forums you wish to search in. If you are having a difficult time finding a thread that can help you solve a problem with AoD, then you would select the Angel Of Darkness forum. If you are unsure as to which sub forum a thread or post is in, select, "Search all open forums."

Part Three: Search Results.

As before mentioned, there are two ways to display your search results. The first is by showing the thread titles and the second is by showing specific posts.

Thread titles only

Specific posts.

Hopefully this has given you a good understanding of the basics. This can be an extremely useful tool and we hope that this will make your time here more enjoyable.