View Single Post
Old 07-03-14, 17:48   #1
jackraider
Inactive

Default TR1 source code..will it ever be released?

Original article here.

***UPDATE***: Just got the official word from Jason of SQUARE ENIX Europe. There "is no source available" at SQUARE ENIX. It was ever shared from CORE DESIGN to EIDOS before the disbandment. Some of the EX CORE members do have it, but have refused to share it with SQUARE ENIX. Perhaps, some sort of quiet negotiation took place for REALTECH-VR to use the source...I don't know. The best way to get the code is to talk with ex CORE members. However, the code is unlikely because the name "TOMB RAIDER" is what's the problem. Now that the brand is owned by SQUARE ENIX, even ex CORE members would need permission to release.

That's the bad news. However, Jason has been around since the very early Tomb Raider games and SQUARE ENIX is a lot more lenient than you'd think. He left on this note, we "will have a dig around", but also stated that it is going to be hard to pin down some of those ex CORE members. And of course once this takes place it must be taken to SQUARE ENIX for permission. However, given that CORE/EIDOS released the Official TOMB RAIDER Level Editor, I see no problem in SQUARE ENIX extending the modding community with something greater. However, I think what they are scared of is people using the source to sell TOMB RAIDER games commercially, when all we want to do is just mod for personal use. If we can get them to release the source with a license agreement, that would be great. Keep showing your support! ***

The original source code was used for TR iOS. Screenshot from RealTech-VR.

What is it?

To Square Enix/EIDOS, and bringing to their attention to officially release the complete source code for the original TOMB RAIDER (1996) for use within the Tomb Raider and modding community. Basically, The source code would then be compiled by the community with Visual C++ , or another language to build the assembly language files. The original DOS version of TOMB RAIDER would be buildable as well. The official source code for TOMB RAIDER would be released under a license that precludes commercial exploitation, but would have no clause forcing sharing of altered source code. If one is to publicly release modified versions of the source code, they must make source code available to everyone. All of the original TOMB RAIDER data files and assets are to remain copyrighted and licensed under the original terms, so that none of the data/assets from the original game can be redistributed. However, if one wanted to create a total conversion, a standalone game based on the source code would be acceptable. The original (paid copy) of Tomb Raider is required to use the original data and assets. However, one could still download one of the original TOMB RAIDER demos and use that data with the source code as long as it is not redistributed for commercial use. The original TOMB RAIDER is not that expensive and can be bought on ebay, Amazon, GOG, and Steam.

ATT: Releasing the source Code does NOT mean a free distribution of TOMB RAIDER I. Purchasing/owning the actual game would be required to run the source off of.

Why Release?

Most developers around 1996 have released the source code for their games, respectfully. For instance, i.d software released their original source code for QUAKE, 3dRealms released their source code for Duke Nukem, etc. Imagine the possibilities if we had the TRI source code. Programmers would be able to script;
  • Native Win7/8, Mac OSX, LINUX compatibility
  • New real-time dynamic lighting effects with BLOOM support, texture glows, and advanced projection shadows
  • 256 X 256 HD texture support and Advanced shaders/bump maps for both levels and objects
  • High resolution support with no slow downs
  • Real-time advanced reflections
  • clipping Decals
  • Advanced particle systems (fog, fire, rain, etc.)
  • Fan favorite features from TRII-TLR (or beyond) such as Lara's climbing move and ponytail from TR2
  • Advanced physics- for example; rag-doll effects
  • TR:TLR AI or more advanced AI than what TR:TLR offers.
  • Classic ring based menu/inventory
  • Advanced animated sky/horizon box

Examples:

Just to give you an idea of what could be possible with the original Tomb Raider source code. Let's compare i.d. Software's Quake (released in 1996) source code running normally with the altered version Quake HD MOD. Both are running the first level.

QUAKE Normal

QUAKE HD MOD

And even advanced physics such as rag doll effects:

Left: Original Orge model in Quake (1996) Right: Updated ORGE in Darkplaces engine, a updated source port for Quake (1996)

With the source code, imagine using advanced bump maps, real time water reflections, dynamic lighting/ shadows, BLOOM effects, advanced FOG,
texture glows, high poly Lara Croft model (with ponytail) and objects, etc. Click thumbnail for bigger image:

Original TOMB RAIDER running in GLIDOS using high resolution textures
SOURCE:www.glidos.net. Textures by Matt Hill

For the community!

This should give you an idea of the possibilities for what WE as the community can achieve with a 1996 game, so long as we have the source code. I'm ending this note on open discussion on how WE, as the community can bring awareness to SQUARE ENIX/EIDOS to officially release this original source code and bring it to fruition! Pass it on. Don't loose hope.

Last edited by jackraider; 10-03-14 at 16:37.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote