View Single Post
Old 17-04-18, 20:56   #3
Yeauxleaux
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
One thing that resonated with me in the video was how he stated that video games have lost their identity due to how realistic they keep getting, and how Tomb Raider has fallen victim to that. I've been gradually losing interest in gaming as a whole because of this. I don't really like the ultra serious and cinematic direction most games have been going in. I find myself playing less and less games nowadays. Ever since games have been trying so hard to be taken seriously as an art form I started losing interest in them. It's less about being fun and more about being taken as seriously as movies or TV.
I agree with that too.

I will say, I'm not totally anti-realism. I think there's a place for different kinds of media and different kinds of characters. I was actually living for the realism trend when it was a new thing in the late 2000s/early 2010s, it's just become so ubiquitous to me that the lure of it has been killed.

However, now I miss larger-than-life characters. I genuinely like seeing aspirational characters who it would be very difficult, if not outright impossible, to emulate in real life. That's fun to me. I don't need everything to be super "relatable", sometimes the entertainment is in the escapism; seeing and playing as people who I could never be in real life. That's what makes a character special or interesting in some cases. This is why I (personally) prefer classic and LAU Lara over Reboot Lara, who I find to be a vapid product of obsessive "relatability" and normality.

When it comes to gaming, I think we've sacrificed innovative and fun gameplay in favour of making games look pretty. That's what improving gaming technology of the last 10-15 years has mostly been centred around; making them look prettier. The AI isn't really significantly better than it was 20 years ago, and many people have repeatedly commented that AAA games are feeling heavily dumbed down and too easy these days. That's what's led to the artistic "decline" of the gaming industry, if you will.

For me, this is why I'm starting to understand the love some Westerners have of Japanese games and media in general. Where Western media has fell into obsession with "realism!" at the expense of creativity and fun, a lot of Asian media has remained quite outrageously unrealistic and escapist (look at anime for obvious examples of that).

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 17-04-18 at 21:07.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote