View Single Post
Old 18-06-13, 10:53   #106
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Well, I suppose, when it's possible to optimize, it's better to do it anyway; who knows where it will be bottlenecked in future.
That's true, especially with some of the very big custom levels out there. Actually, I've got a long list of other things that I could still improve, but if I look at a time profile with the game locked to 60 FPS (with Vsync), I see that it spends 80-90% of the time doing nothing. If I can make the rest of the code twice as fast, it'll spend 90-95% of the time doing nothing. That's not a good use of anyone's time.

Quote:
Most of our antique Macs are still on 10.5.8 , however, there are few with 10.8, I'll get to some of them later today and try it.
If you feel really adventurous, you can take this version, select "show package contents" in the Finder, then open Info.plist (in Contents) with your favorite Plist editor, or, if you don't have one, with Notepad. Find LSMinimumSystemVersion and change the value after it from 10.6 to 10.5 (or 10.4 if you're feeling lucky). I have no idea whether it'll run then. My guess is that it should, but with something so old, I can't really make any predictions.

By the way: This absolutely requires an Intel Mac, not PowerPC, if that's what you have. I could change the code to work on PowerPC (I've actually written TR level loading code for PowerPC before), but that would be an awful lot of work for computers that are, by now, very old and dead.

It's sad, really, I always liked PowerPC more. But even I got rid of my last PowerPC Mac years ago, and that (iMac G5 with iSight) was one of the most powerful PowerPC Macs ever built. But that's besides the point.

Quote:
Great, so it means that with your latest fixes code is completely transparent and can be compiled on Windows without any additional operations. Very clean. I can't wait when I get home and try it!
Well, at least that's my hope. Please tell me how it works for you! Of course, I'd be happy if this gets more FPS than the current Windows version, but bug reports are actually more useful for me.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote