www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Debate and Political Discussion

Old 26-03-12, 15:45   #141
Cochrane
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
Of course it would, but I don't think that's practical at all, so there's no point in going on about it.
Not in this forum thread, that's true (but then this goes for any discussion here). But in the greater context, the question is: International law is broken or incomplete. Should we fix it or ignore it? I don't think it is pointless to do at least try the first.

Quote:
Yes, especially if one of said allies fell victim to a terrorist attack that Bin Laden was responsible for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots88888 View Post
Now you are just acting childish (as in naive). You yourself said that he most likely would have been tipped off and fleed had we went through 'the proper channels'.

Do you honestly believe not anyone would complain if the US didn't take action to capture him/take him down while having the best opportunity to do so and he had fleed? Who are you trying to kid?

As I said, if that is what would have taken place and there was more civilian loss as a result, you betcha the US would receive an abundance of criticism because of that (allies or not).
Let's assume the following scenario, just to be clear: The US finds Bin Laden. They inform Pakistan. Pakistan screws up the arrest (possibly on purpose) and Bin Laden gets away.

Under these circumstances, a lot of people would rightly be angry with Pakistan. The US, though? They would have done everything right. Not invading your allies is universally accepted under international law.

I'm not sure if the question "what if he struck again" really matters, because I don't think his death has made the US, it's allies or the middle east any safer in the short and medium term. But even if he did, the blame would still be on Pakistan for allowing him to live there and escape. Sure, some people would be angry at the US. But then, people always are (and many of them seem to be Americans). The difference would be that nobody could make a claim that the US acted wrong within the framework of international law.
Old 26-03-12, 15:57   #142
patriots88888
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Let's assume the following scenario, just to be clear: The US finds Bin Laden. They inform Pakistan. Pakistan screws up the arrest (possibly on purpose) and Bin Laden gets away.

Under these circumstances, a lot of people would rightly be angry with Pakistan. The US, though? They would have done everything right. Not invading your allies is universally accepted under international law.

I'm not sure if the question "what if he struck again" really matters, because I don't think his death has made the US, it's allies or the middle east any safer in the short and medium term. But even if he did, the blame would still be on Pakistan for allowing him to live there and escape. Sure, some people would be angry at the US. But then, people always are (and many of them seem to be Americans). The difference would be that nobody could make a claim that the US acted wrong within the framework of international law.
The point I'm making is the US would receive criticism no matter how they went about the situation... so better to get the problem out of the way and be done with it once and for all. You (and many others) may not agree with that line of thinking but it's the most sensible approach to me (as was [thankfully] to those in charge of that decision making as well).

So criticize, complain all you want and give the US your best shot but in the end we (as in the entire world) are all better off with him good and gone.
Old 26-03-12, 23:33   #143
Alpharaider47
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Not in this forum thread, that's true (but then this goes for any discussion here). But in the greater context, the question is: International law is broken or incomplete. Should we fix it or ignore it? I don't think it is pointless to do at least try the first.
I believe that "international law" on a planet that is not entirely united is destined to be broken. You're talking about a group of nations getting together and deciding what the rules of the game are going to be when A) not everybody plays by those rules, and B) not every nation has a voice in that process.

And on top of that, not everybody is on an equal playing field either. The US has a fairly unmatched military. You can argue until the cows come home that Russia or China could beat us- but that's almost certainly only in a Nuclear War. Conventionally our Navy and Air Force would probably wipe their forces out before the Marines had finished figuring out which end of their M16 shoots.

Further, trying to apply democratic rules to a world that is not governed solely by democracy seems slightly preposterous to me. Not that the UN and such don't bring about a few good things now and again- when they actually do something.

At some point the system isn't going to be sustainable and will fall apart.
Old 16-04-12, 13:51   #144
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with the cats and the first 9 TR games ie 1 through underworld

I think the US did have the right to kill him after what bin laden did to NYC on 9/11. All those poor innocent people died on 9/11 so bin laden deserved it IMO.
Old 01-05-12, 00:09   #145
Draco
Gold Contributor

Pakistan is complicated... of all the nations in the Middle East to invade without cause... Pakistan should have been numero uno.

Pakistan would have said no if the US asked in any case, they protected all the terrorists when they could.

Also, don't be so sure OBL is dead and not in Gitmo.
Old 01-05-12, 04:46   #146
voltz
Tomb Raider

Read current sig.

I've been hearing all about this on WPR today because they want to run an Obama smear campaign.
Old 01-05-12, 09:57   #147
Mad Tony
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Also, don't be so sure OBL is dead and not in Gitmo.
Err, what?
Old 01-05-12, 12:18   #148
Draco
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltz View Post
Read current sig.

I've been hearing all about this on WPR today because they want to run an Obama smear campaign.
Ah yes, another bright idea from the Etch-A-Sketch Campaign.

Quote:
Err, what?
Did I stutter?
Old 01-05-12, 14:21   #149
motoleo

My question was what was he doing there all that time? Sitting there watching movies?

We were coming for him. And we were going to get him no matter what. It shouldn't have took that long. He was really good at playing hide and seek.
motoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 14:25   #150
Mad Tony
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Did I stutter?
You know exactly what I'm on about.

Bin Laden is in Guantanamo Bay? What the hell are you talking about?